View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #20601
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    12,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    She said "if there is a good reason for it.
    That's an important difference.
    It was implied in the phrasing. To give reason for something usually means you have a good one.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  2. #20602
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    It was implied in the phrasing. To give reason for something usually means you have a good one.
    What is implied in that phrasing when a German uses it is that they don't think there will be a "good reason" and that the other side is wasting time.
    It's like saying "I'll think about it"(which means "no").

  3. #20603
    MPs approve Benn/ Burt voted to approve the amendment 315 votes to 274. It looks like many in the government abstained.

  4. #20604
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    12,731
    Amendment A passes 315 to 274.

    This amendment prevents proroguation of Parliament between the 8th of October and 18th of December.

    Lords amendment now being voted on, this amendment states that the fortnightly reports on NI that passed in the Grieve amendment must be debated on within 5 days, thus making prorogation impossible.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    MPs approve Benn/ Burt voted to approve the amendment 315 votes to 274. It looks like many in the government abstained.
    One government minister, Margot James, rebelled and resigned.

    Many other ministers abstained.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  5. #20605
    Herald of the Titans Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Honestly, them not getting an extension would actually force them into action, especially all opposed to no deal who have sat on the fence for too long regarding a 2nd ref.

    But if a 2nd ref is put through parliament, it will need an extension just to implement. Assuming all options aren't something that requires the fantasy of renegotiation, I can't see the 27 rejecting it, assuming whatever the result is is implimented within a short technical period after, whether it's leaving in one form or another, or remaining.

    - - - Updated - - -



    A lot of the abstains on the opposition benches was because Corbyn was playing fence sitter between leave and remain, trying to appeal to both and attracting none.

    He's still attempting it despite the push of party members and MPs, but he has come out and said he'll support a 2nd ref in the face of certain no deal.

    But he still prefers his deal that he thinks he can negotiate... on a withdrawl agreement not for negotiation.
    Well, there is another way:

    Crash out, have a second referndum, and if its pro-EU, you can apply again, wait a few years, and if you play nice you can join the club again - this time without any rebates.

  6. #20606
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    12,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Well, there is another way:

    Crash out, have a second referndum, and if its pro-EU, you can apply again, wait a few years, and if you play nice you can join the club again - this time without any rebates.
    Or the veto, and likely have to accept the Euro.

    There is no chance in hell that'd happen purely on the latter.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  7. #20607
    Herald of the Titans Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Or the veto, and likely have to accept the Euro.

    There is no chance in hell that'd happen purely on the latter.
    Well, then maybe join the US as another state and adopt the dollar. I don't really care. At this point i'm sick of british politics slowing down the EU and making a mess of the EU parliament. I'd have liked for you to remain, but if your politicans can't play nice -> good riddance. I'm more interested in advancing the EU than to pamper some entitled british politicians.


    "Oh, we want the EU to change to cater to our every whims, but we wont accept anything the EU wants". Probably we are better of without these entitled choosing beggars.
    Last edited by Pannonian; 2019-07-18 at 01:03 PM.

  8. #20608
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    12,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Well, then maybe join the US as another state and adopt the dollar. I don't really care. At this point i'm sick of british politics slowing down the EU and making a mess of the EU parliament. I'd have liked for you to remain, but if your politicans can't play nice -> good riddance. I'm more interested in advancing the EU than to pamper some entitled british politicians.
    Yeah we've heard this one before, you're welcome to read over the last few pages of debate.

    Parliament votes against a government motion to reject the Lord's amendment by 315 to 273.

    Which is a double negative, they're now voting on all remaining Lord's amendments to the bill.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  9. #20609
    Herald of the Titans Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Yeah we've heard this one before, you're welcome to read over the last few pages of debate.

    Parliament votes against a government motion to reject the Lord's amendment by 315 to 273.

    Which is a double negative, they're now voting on all remaining Lord's amendments to the bill.
    Honestly, that is not my problem. The EU is not the stage for the UKs internal squabbles. We have done this for 3 years, and there is no sign that it will change, rather that it will get even more stupid with BJ.

  10. #20610
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    12,731
    Other Lords amendments pass 328 to 65.

    Most of these were small corrections in language and words used to make any bill clear and legal.


    Sports and Fitness mod, Brit with weird sleeping hours.
    Has good taste in ale, bad taste in D&D choices.

  11. #20611
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    20,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    The ones in power also voted to remain, for the WA and of course they'd vote against no deal, why the hell wouldn't they?
    What do you mean why the hell wouldn't they? I was talking about the last/current government with their order ordeeeer stunts where nothing gets done, no direction is chosen or all of them if you will.

    It's really not just Farage that is nothing but talk, right now it is almost everybody in your government. With 3 months and 2 weeks left to come up with a solution, proposition or really anything at all you don't even have a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before.

    A bunch of times actually.

  12. #20612
    Vdl's opinion on whether the UK should get another extension could be the very definition of irrelevant.

    Even if the commission had any say in that matter, which it doesn't, Juncker is still President of the commission until the beginning of November.

  13. #20613
    Quote Originally Posted by Taranthas View Post
    I'm sorry you find it offensive but if you are going to criticize the UK on purely nationalist grounds then I'm going to point out that your country killed millions of people and attempted genocide within recent history. If you don't like it, don't dish it out.
    How about on the grounds that the UK has completely of its own accord made an utter laughing stock of itself?

    "Purely nationalist ground", indeed. It's never your fault, is it?

  14. #20614
    A remainer talking about the EU as bloatedand undemocratic. Well it could be a first but I am going with liar liar pants on fire.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  15. #20615
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    20,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Taranthas View Post
    There seem to be an extraordinary number of very stupid europeans in this thread who don't seem to understand that the UK and its government are not the same thing, and the number who voted for the current government is either 1(Pann) or zero.

    Literally every British participant in this thread voted remain, everyone else got infracted. How am I responsible for this mess voting remain and voting for the opposition?

    I'd add that the EU is a bloated, undemocratic and bureacratic monolith that played its own part in Brexit which you people never seem to acknowledge.
    I never voted FPÖ, they don't represent my views, yet they were part of the last government and therefore represented my country. I am part of my country. I am not as responsible for them being in government as the ones actually voting for them, but I could've done more to keep them from gaining votes.

    Ok for someone from a country without a representative democracy this might be harder to fathom, but that is also on the people that they apparently are happy in keeping.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    A remainer talking about the EU as bloatedand undemocratic. Well it could be a first but I am going with liar liar pants on fire.
    You're right, I've just ignored this by now, but it shouldn't be ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before.

    A bunch of times actually.

  16. #20616
    Oh dear... https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/stat...53221461286914

    ... he wants to run the country and can't even get it together to vote!?!

  17. #20617
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    20,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Oh dear... https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/stat...53221461286914

    ... he wants to run the country and can't even get it together to vote!?!
    Can someone explain to me what "I thought I was slipped" means? I assume he doesn't mean he thought he slipped on something, like a banana or so, right? RIGHT??!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before.

    A bunch of times actually.

  18. #20618
    Labour peers are considering holding a confidence vote in Jeremy Corbyn's leadership whilst this will not affect Corbyn's position regardless of the outcome it highlights the mess the Lab party are currently in at the moment and unless they can sort these issues out it is unlikely that they will be able to table a success no-confidence motion when the Tories elect their next leader.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49031917

  19. #20619
    Titan draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    13,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Labour peers are considering holding a confidence vote in Jeremy Corbyn's leadership whilst this will not affect Corbyn's position regardless of the outcome it highlights the mess the Lab party are currently in at the moment and unless they can sort these issues out it is unlikely that they will be able to table a success no-confidence motion when the Tories elect their next leader.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49031917
    He needs to go, end of. I actually wanted Corbyn in but he's been a failure, its not ALL his fault but a lot of it is. He has too much baggage. Liberal Democrats are going to take seats off them without breaking a sweat.

  20. #20620
    The European Commission’s vice president, is now saying what we are all thinking.

    'My God. They're idiots'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •