View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    I dunno, I would have hoped that the government's "worst case" planning would have got "less worse" given all the planning they are supposed to have been doing. But this is just summarizing everything that they have been saying (and indirectly saying through their fumbled ferry deals and plans to cover Kent in lorry parks) over the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dribbles View Post
    The WOW servers for the UK are in Paris no?
    Aren't some of them in Cork? I mean, it's still in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    I dunno, I would have hoped that the government's "worst case" planning
    Until last week, this was their "base scenario" planning (as the leaked versions of this document demonstrate). They edited the title to "reasonable worst case" before publishing it.

Apparently the government are going to publish, within the next few days, a revised version of Yellowhammer that takes into account their efforts to deal with the scenarios raised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Meh, it's just project fear.
    See, it's so easy.
    Except it's from a hard Brexit government. This really did cause them to shoot themselves in the foot.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    That feel when Brexiteers literally care less about the health of the UK than any South Asian terrorist. Shocking.
    When did Dribbo last say anything that could give you even the slightest impression that he possesses some capability to feel empathy or be in any way social?

He sounds rather like a "couple of times removed" uncle/great-uncle of mine. He also has this irrational love affair with the verbal diarrhoea that Farage and Rees-Mogg spew forth and wants the hardest of brexits because of the chaos it would create (my blood pressure has gone down by an average of at least 10 points both systolic and diastolic since I blocked him on facebook).

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    Aren't some of them in Cork? I mean, it's still in the EU.
    Cork and Paris have the administrative stuff, like customer service, GMs etc. The actual game servers used to have several locations in France and Germany (and I think by now Blizzard makes use of Amazon cloud services as well). Not sure what changed in the past 3 years, but I would be surprised if all European servers are only in Cork.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I would like to dedicate this post to everyone who has told me I am a doomsayer and things won't be as bad... up yours. It's your own Government saying it. Feel free to apologize whenever it is convenient for you.

It's not like we haven't told you these consequences for the better part of 3 years now.
    As mostly a lurker on this thread, this post made me laugh real hard. You and Pann make a good team.

It would be better if you two could talk truthfully about good things happening in this world instead of Brexit. I like listening to you two discuss things until I realize that the stuff you are discussing is real life things happening now in the UK, and likely coming soon to the US.

Pann especially says things in quite concise and quite jarring terms. It all seems so... whimsical... until Dribbles comes along with his complete hatred for the people that actually LIVE in the UK and brings reality vividly into focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    As mostly a lurker on this thread, this post made me laugh real hard. You and Pann make a good team.

It would be better if you two could talk truthfully about good things happening in this world instead of Brexit. I like listening to you two discuss things until I realize that the stuff you are discussing is real life things happening now in the UK, and likely coming soon to the US.

Pann especially says things in quite concise and quite jarring terms. It all seems so... whimsical... until Dribbles comes along with his complete hatred for the people that actually LIVE in the UK and brings reality vividly into focus.
    I get that it's depressing, I'm somehow still in the mode that I need to convince people how stupid this is. I am not entirely sure why, probably because it confuses the hell out of me how this can be happening. The good things happening get drowned out by the drama. I keep posting as much about EU accomplishments as anyone else here. But hearing that Europe has been at peace within the borders of the EU for 80 years is boring. Even if you know that historically, Europe was never completely at peace in the past 2000 years before. You'd think that's impressive, but some people just don't want to hear it...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I get that it's depressing, I'm somehow still in the mode that I need to convince people how stupid this is. I am not entirely sure why, probably because it confuses the hell out of me how this can be happening. The good things happening get drowned out by the drama. I keep posting as much about EU accomplishments as anyone else here. But hearing that Europe has been at peace within the borders of the EU for 80 years is boring. Even if you know that historically, Europe was never completely at peace in the past 2000 years before. You'd think that's impressive, but some people just don't want to hear it...
    It confuses me as well. And yet reality marches on.

You are strong enough to keep on fighting. I really appreciate that.

There are likely to be 4 major powers as time marches on: China, India, EU, and the US.

Losing UK is a blow to EU, but I guess you'll have to roll with the punches and just move on. If I were to recommend anything, it would be to focus on your fellow EU members. If the EU stays strong together - and from what I can tell they mostly are - then EU will have a very bright future indeed. EU has its problems - but so do the other three major powers. I can easily envision a future where China and EU are the two powers at the tippy top, counter balanced by the US and India not far behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/hmtreasury/statu...54868277489664

The UK Government is actively promoting tax free alcohol and cigarettes as a positive of no deal...

So the Treasury, whose job it is to collect taxes is spreading propaganda about not paying taxes.

Not only that, but in a no deal scenario the Government will limit how much you can bring in massively compared to other countries.

So right now if you travel in the EU you can buy:

Current UK allowance from EU is "unlimited" but realistically:
    Beer - 110 litres
    Wine - 90 litres
    Spirits - 10 litres

Outside of the EU

But Duty Free allowance is v limited:
    Beer - 16 litres
    Wine - 4 litres
    Spirits - 1 litre

Taking back control guys! You can now queue for 8 hours at ports so you can bring back a couple cans of beer cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Taking back control guys! You can now queue for 8 hours at ports so you can bring back a couple cans of beer cheaper.
    But on the bright side if you drink those cans of beer whilst waiting in the queue the time will just fly by!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/hmtreasury/statu...54868277489664

The UK Government is actively promoting tax free alcohol and cigarettes as a positive of no deal...

So the Treasury, whose job it is to collect taxes is spreading propaganda about not paying taxes.

Not only that, but in a no deal scenario the Government will limit how much you can bring in massively compared to other countries.

So right now if you travel in the EU you can buy:

Current UK allowance from EU is "unlimited" but realistically:
    Beer - 110 litres
    Wine - 90 litres
    Spirits - 10 litres

Outside of the EU

But Duty Free allowance is v limited:
    Beer - 16 litres
    Wine - 4 litres
    Spirits - 1 litre

This made me laugh.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    But on the bright side if you drink those cans of beer whilst waiting in the queue the time will just fly by!
    Always a silver lining.

If someone dies because they couldn't get medicine* at least their family can have some cheap alcohol at the wake...

*This is probably unlikely to happen of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    This made me laugh.
    Couldn't you have found a bigger screenshot!

But quite right that the ASA are looking into those ads - the civil service should not be used to campaign for the government or to promote their crackpot policies!

- - - Updated - - -

Always a silver lining.

If someone dies because they couldn't get medicine* at least their family can have some cheap alcohol at the wake...

*This is probably unlikely to happen of course.
    That's the spirit! (but only 1ltr)

Cork and Paris have the administrative stuff, like customer service, GMs etc. The actual game servers used to have several locations in France and Germany (and I think by now Blizzard makes use of Amazon cloud services as well). Not sure what changed in the past 3 years, but I would be surprised if all European servers are only in Cork.
    Last time I looked, servers were in Paris, Hamburg and Frankfurt - none in Cork. Admittedly, this was some time ago, but since they involve a rather specific infrastructure, I doubt Blizzard moves them around on a whim.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Couldn't you have found a bigger screenshot!

But quite right that the ASA are looking into those ads - the civil service should not be used to campaign for the government or to promote their crackpot policies!
    Yeah, I only noticed after I copy-pastad from twitter. And I forgot that most twitter pictures are stupidly large for dumb fucking reasons. At times I miss slow internet when pictures didn't have that kind of size by default.
    - Lars

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/stat...57293396905984

At least Chris Grayling isn't involved this time... I hope...

Damn I'm having my own big screenshot moment!
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-09-12 at 08:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Daily Mail have done some stellar investigative work and found some scandals to tar the Judges in the Bojo case.

One has a passion for France and the other.....is a Jazz lover who said Brexit would be hard.

Sack the Judges!

The Daily Mail have done some stellar investigative work and found some scandals to tar the Judges in the Bojo case.

One has a passion for France and the other.....is a Jazz lover who said Brexit would be hard.

Sack the Judges!
    I bet one of them enjoy Spaghetti aswell, traitors!

Sack the Judges!
    ...but how much are their houses worth?

- - - Updated - - -

'Note that the European Parliament’s new draft #Brexit resolution suggests “avoiding a no deal exit” is a good enough reason for granting an extension. So not just for an election, a referendum or a massive rethink then...'

https://twitter.com/adamfleming/stat...13357203279872

Does anyone know if this a view shared by the Council?

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting stuff from Charles Grant's twitter feed.

'A deal between EU and UK is more likely than I had thought - my conclusion after 2 days of meetings with EU, member-state and UK officials. Senior figures on EU side say they can scrap backstop as long as alternatives deliver on protecting a) single mkt; b) GFA. /1

They also say BJ has indicated that he can live with rest of withdrawal agreement if backstop goes. In some key national capitals BJ has made a quite good impression. But some of David Frost's meetings in BXL have lowered expectations on EU side, conveying hard red lines. /2

The essence of the deal would be to replicate effects of N I-only backstop. On agri, as BJ has said, NI would follow EU rules. In other areas: a combo of regulatory alignment with EU, and discreet controls - 'dedramatised, dematerialised, delocalised' - away from border. /3

France, Germany, Commission could go along with this, but only if UK produces serious proposals, which it has not yet done. It would have to accept role for ECJ. But what about Ireland, which says it prefers prospect of no deal to a deal sans backstop? /4

The other member-states do not want to put pressure on Ireland. But if the UK gets serious about a deal and shows flexibility, there would be gentle encouragement for Dublin to accept something almost equivalent to backstop. /5

Of course the difficulties are immense and the gaps may prove unbridgeable. Some in DUP & ERG would not like to see N I partially aligned with EU rules. But an element of consultation for Stormont on rule changes could help. /6

Also, add EU officials, in one respect BJ is right: the new UK law v no deal has taken pressure off Irish govt and UK Parliament to compromise. But some EU govts think BJ may be serious about a deal, perhaps before Oct 31. ENDS @CER_EU'

https://twitter.com/CER_Grant/status...35624163438594

... could the light at the end of the tunnel be in sight?

- - - Updated - - -

The union representing UK's top civil servants are, understandably, not happy with Johnson...

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/365dd7...is_Johnson.pdf

... and they demand that he stops playing political games.

- - - Updated - - -

'UK officials say yesterday's talks between David Frost and the European Commission were serious, but EU27 diplomats were told the British proposals were "aspirational" and "concepts" at a debrief this morning. (1)

UK proposed N Ireland and Ireland be separate customs and regulatory territories. Customs checks would take place in business premises not on the border. There'd be an "enhanced market surveillance mechanism" for industrial goods using surveillance, data and tough penalties. (2)

The UK reiterated there could be a commitment to an open border in the Withdrawal Agreement with the details agreed in the transition period -- which British officials insisted would end in 2020 and not be extended. (3)

Again there was a discussion about security and defence in the Political Declaration, with the UK asking for additional references to sovereingty which EU officials interpret as a "looser" relationship than the one Theresa May pursued. (4)'

https://twitter.com/adamfleming/stat...49285665816576

Is the fact that there is no mention of unicorns or cake a sign of progress?