View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    So now French MPs are apparently talking about the possibility of a 2 year extension. At least that would mean guaranteed employment for Farage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I'm not so sure, it is a trade off between economic prosperity and the integrity of the Union - I suppose it depends on what you value more.
    The NI voted to stay and as far as a theoretical break-up of the Union that was agreed upon with the signing of the GFA. You might not like it but the NI does have the right to go if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibblewink View Post
    So now French MPs are apparently talking about the possibility of a 2 year extension. At least that would mean guaranteed employment for Farage.
    What? Seriously? That takes us well into the next EU budget, surely that can't have a chance of getting past the rest of the EU27?

The NI voted to stay and as far as a theoretical break-up of the Union that was agreed upon with the signing of the GFA. You might not like it but the NI does have the right to go if they want to.
    You are over simplifying things to the extreme. The GFA is supposed to smooth the way to a peaceful and orderly reunification of the Republic and the North when both countries are ready.

I guess you could see the 2+ year extension as away to put pressure on the UK parliament: If the extension is not for Jan 31st, Parliament must vote on whether to accept that. The prospect of the flak they would face over such a decision might just make the WA seem a lot more palatable.

It would either way allow the EU to put aside the perpetual Brexit questions for a while.

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/fran...re-evaluation/

I guess you could see the 2+ year extension as away to put pressure on the UK parliament: If the extension is not for Jan 31st, Parliament must vote on whether to accept that. The prospect of the flak they would face over such a decision might just make the WA seem a lot more palatable.

It would either way allow the EU to put aside the perpetual Brexit questions for a while.

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/fran...re-evaluation/
    Thanks for the link.

The text of the extension bill states that if the EU offer an extension past Jan 31st then Johnson has to either accept the extension or ask parliament if it wishes to accept it. This is really going to put the cat amongst the pigeons!

I will be amazed if this gets through with the rest of the EU or our parliament if it does.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-09-09 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    This could be very important

'Vote in the HoC on Grieve motion to compel publication of Yellowhammer and communications relating to prorogation - Result circa 730'

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/stat...24814171557888
    I've seen his opening statement to that, it was very heavy stuff as far as the Commons go. He was definitely throwing the big punches and didn't pull back at all.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

A 2 year extension.

We really aren't being subtle about the plan to just keep putting Brexit off until enough Leave voters die of old age or are too senile to vote so that revoking Article 50 is less politically suicidal, huh?
    This website is not a place of honor. No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing valued is here. What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. The danger is in a particular location. The danger is still present in your time as it was in ours.

Get in loser, we're saving the USPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    A 2 year extension.

We really aren't being subtle about the plan to just keep putting Brexit off until enough Leave voters die of old age or are too senile to vote so that revoking Article 50 is less politically suicidal, huh?
    Why be subtle about it? Votes about the long term future shouldn't be undertaken by those who are too old to see that future.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Why be subtle about it? Votes about the long term future shouldn't be undertaken by those who are too old to see that future.
    I mean I'm not complaining. I just wish Britain would be a little more forthright with its intention to conduct politics as an elaborate Shakespearean farce rather than with any degree of seriousness.
    This website is not a place of honor. No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing valued is here. What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. The danger is in a particular location. The danger is still present in your time as it was in ours.

A 2 year extension.

It is more that the EU council is sick and tired of having each and every summit derailed by an issue that should by rights have been over and done with. So in stead of cutting them off and taking on the role of the villain they smother them with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Got it. Doubt it too. But maybe Trump was enough of a wakeup call.
    Oh I don't bet on the goodness of their heart or their integrity or principles. I bet on political self interest. They'll be able to tell their knuckledragging supporters they've "reigned in a rogue President" or some crap like that.

It is more that the EU council is sick and tired of having each and every summit derailed by an issue that should by rights have been over and done with. So in stead of cutting them off and taking on the role of the villain they smother them with kindness.
    Oh to be sure, this isn't an indictment of the EU council at all. They've been nothing but reasonable the entire step of the process and have demonstrated a level of diplomatic professionalism that the UK used to brag about having.

And it would be an excellent way of derailing BoJo's scheme by forcing him to accept an extension that essentially lets Brexit die of old age.

Boris Johnson's body language is really defensive. He looks like he is trying to hide behind his folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    Boris Johnson's body language is really defensive. He looks like he is trying to hide behind his folder.
    I wonder if he checks for Remain voters with milkshakes under his bed before he goes to sleep.

Well, his yearlong dream of premiership - likely wet dreams of being the second coming of Churchill - have crashed and burned spectacularly and turned in to a potential spot as the worst PM in modern memory.

Well, his yearlong dream of premiership - likely wet dreams of being the second coming of Churchill - have crashed and burned spectacularly and turned in to a potential spot as the worst PM in modern memory.
    The worst in the history of the premiership, more like.

I honestly cannot think of anyone since Walpole that has come into power in a minority government, proceeded to lose his Parliamentary majority, and then deepen it further by expelling more than twenty members of his own party. Oh, and losing every single time you've put a vote to Parliament and having the legislative agenda seized by backbenchers within a month of taking office.

Can he do that for two more years?

I guess when even your own brother doesn't have your back, you're expected to be defensive. But come on, this is a losing battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Question for the British seriously why not just leave?

I think Brexit is stupid too but isn’t it better to just rip off the band aid and get it done?
    Because leaving without a deal is the one thing we’ve basically got majority confirmation, both in public and in Parliament, is a terrible idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think we are well over a chance for a deal to be acceptable to everyone. Your best bet is finding a deal that is the least bad
    Check this poll: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...n-voter-brexit
    I think EFTA would be most widely accepted, but we have a Hard right Government now who won’t even compromise to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    To be fair, in many other countries such a fundamental change to the path of a country (of constitutional weight) requires a two-third majority of informed and professional law-makers, not a simple majority of the masses getting their information from the Sun...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I mean I'm not complaining. I just wish Britain would be a little more forthright with its intention to conduct politics as an elaborate Shakespearean farce rather than with any degree of seriousness.
    It is slow because it’s serious. I get there are posters here who think jumping on the nuclear button is the best way to conduct business. 300 years of democratic experience and a thousand years of monarchs beforehand doing exactly that have actually taught us something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    To be fair, in many other countries such a fundamental change to the path of a country (of constitutional weight) requires a two-third majority of informed and professional law-makers, not a simple majority of the masses getting their information from the Sun...

So our first referendum was to stay in the European Single Market in the mid 70s. There was opposition to it even happening because it questioned Parliamentary sovereignty. This is why we only had like 2 since then. Both of which had a 50%+1 majority requirement.

A super majority might be what other countries ask for, but it’s not how we conduct business.