View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    So, you acknowledge that leaving the EU is something that needs to be "survived". Good to know.
    I don't have the energy to pick his reply apart, especially knowing that nothing I do will get through to him. But his attempt to frame things that were "survived" in a massively simpler societal and economic structure was particularly amusing. It's like saying that switching your own PC off is simple, so how can any kind of software upgrade possibly be complicated to do?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    2014/15 flu deaths: 28,330
    2015/16 flu deaths: 11,875
    2016/17 flu deaths: 18,009
    2017/18 flu deaths: 26,408
    COVID-19 deaths: 13,729 to date
    Fixed it for you, it's stupid to call a disease by the name of the city. Or do we want to start calling the swine flue the Americas flue?

Second. 13k deaths that occurred mostly in the last 30-45 days if blooooody allot, especially if you compare that to the bloody flue which can occur the entire year.
    I mean god, how can anybody look at the deaths of Covid19 and think ''flue is worse''.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    I don't have the energy to pick his reply apart, especially knowing that nothing I do will get through to him. But his attempt to frame things that were "survived" in a massively simpler societal and economic structure was particularly amusing. It's like saying that switching your own PC off is simple, so how can any kind of software upgrade possibly be complicated to do?
    Yep. I’ve run out of steam to do the bulletpoint stuff now.

What gets me is the constant harking back to bygone eras. Are they all distant relatives of Empire “heroes”? Some of Teleros’ stuff... literally, the poster sounds like Kipling.

It’s like the 20th C hasn’t happened.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    So, you acknowledge that leaving the EU is something that needs to be "survived".
    *Nods*

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Fixed it for you, it's stupid to call a disease by the name of the city. Or do we want to start calling the swine flue the Americas flue?
    Too long a name. Yankee flu?

Second. 13k deaths that occurred mostly in the last 30-45 days if blooooody allot, especially if you compare that to the bloody flue which can occur the entire year.
    I mean god, how can anybody look at the deaths of Covid19 and think ''flue is worse''.
    I don't think that though. I don't know if the flu is worse because:

1. Kung flu isn't over yet.
    2. Per the NHS website, we don't know how many of those deaths are actually due to kung flu.
    Still not tired of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by fghuipolas View Post
    -snip-
    This is actually the best-put down I’ve received in the 10+ years I’ve been browsing this forum.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-04-17 at 12:57 AM.

At this point, Should we change the name of this to "The UK Politics Thread" or something?
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    That's complete and utter nonsense. Why do you bother? Aren't you bored of talking about a subject you nothing about?
    Oh, the irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Not to mention all those deaths are mostly concentrated in a couple tight geographical areas so there is some insane body counts over normal in those areas which is why we are all sitting at home trying to not make that a country wide event as best we can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    At this point, Should we change the name of this to "The UK Politics Thread" or something?
    It was EU thread to diss brits for exiting from the very start, the EU is even in its name

10+ Year Old Account

Thousands of extra deaths, and people still peddling "C-19 isn't that bad, they're recording anything as it". The opposite seems to be the case where they're recording a lot of extra deaths as not C-19 when it self evidently is, and only recording those where it is recorded as such in hospital.

The conspiracy is pointing entirely in the wrong direction. I wonder why.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Thousands of extra deaths, and people still peddling "C-19 isn't that bad, they're recording anything as it". The opposite seems to be the case where they're recording a lot of extra deaths as not C-19 when it self evidently is, and only recording those where it is recorded as such in hospital.
    Depends on the country. Nothing short of God Almighty showing up is going to convince me the Chinese haven't been systematically downplaying the numbers. I don't think the UK is doing that though - at least not if RNHS can be trusted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the country. Nothing short of God Almighty showing up is going to convince me the Chinese haven't been systematically downplaying the numbers. I don't think the UK is doing that though - at least not if RNHS can be trusted.
    Oh, the Chinese have. But our C19 figures do not mesh well at all with the total death figures either, the C19 figures officially account for 60% of the total extra deaths recorded. There's either some super-secret other plague going around, or the C19 figures are being heavily massaged.

The conspiracy is pointing entirely in the wrong direction. I wonder why.
    Well that is easy to explain.
    Non corona confirmed extra deaths needs actual research and that will take time, at least until things settled down and you will never know how many people actually died since at that point it becomes a statistic.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, the Chinese have. But our C19 figures do not mesh well at all with the total death figures either, the C19 figures officially account for 60% of the total extra deaths recorded. There's either some super-secret other plague going around, or the C19 figures are being heavily massaged.
    Your looking into to much.
    In these kind of situations you will know the estimate number of deaths in a year or so at best, when things have calmed down and when researchers can start looking into things.

7+ Year Old Account
    Extra by what measure though? Some years the flu is worse than others. That's why my position WRT how bad wuflu is has been "wait and see". The data's just not very reliable.

Extra by what measure though? Some years the flu is worse than others. That's why my position WRT how bad wuflu is has been "wait and see". The data's just not very reliable.
    I don't know why this is in the Brexit thread but think it is quite conclusive that the number of deaths from CV19 is worse than the flu.

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/sta...01265235591168
    Last edited by Pann; 2020-04-19 at 09:09 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why this is in the Brexit thread
    I think we're just sort of blurring various UK politics topics at this point.

but think it is quite conclusive that the number of deaths from CV19 is worse than the flu.
    I mean if we're guessing, then yeah, I think this'll be worse than most flu years. However...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nglandandwales

Get the recent data from here, and get a simple average & total for this year & the last 5 years (Weekly Figures 2020 sheet, figures I DL'ed ended after week 14).

Average of this year: 11,889
    Average of last 5 years: 11,727

Total this year: 166,444
    Total last 5 years: 164,174

A couple of thousand deaths difference so far isn't that big a deal TBH. Obviously, there's all the deaths that would normally be occurring but which aren't (eg car or workplace accidents), and the big what-if - ie the deaths that would've occurred if there'd been no lockdown, or only one for the most vulnerable people etc - but w/e, counter-factuals can be figured out later. But insofar as we know anything for certain right now, it's the figures up above & from the Excel spreadsheet at the link.

I think we're just sort of blurring various UK politics topics at this point.

I mean if we're guessing, then yeah, I think this'll be worse than most flu years. However...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nglandandwales

Get the recent data from here, and get a simple average & total for this year & the last 5 years (Weekly Figures 2020 sheet, figures I DL'ed ended after week 14).

Average of this year: 11,889
    Average of last 5 years: 11,727

Total this year: 166,444
    Total last 5 years: 164,174

A couple of thousand deaths difference so far isn't that big a deal TBH. Obviously, there's all the deaths that would normally be occurring but which aren't (eg car or workplace accidents), and the big what-if - ie the deaths that would've occurred if there'd been no lockdown, or only one for the most vulnerable people etc - but w/e, counter-factuals can be figured out later. But insofar as we know anything for certain right now, it's the figures up above & from the Excel spreadsheet at the link.
    I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just that it's been a pretty mild disease so far. Deaths are a bit up but not extraordinarily so.

I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make.
    That could be a stock reply for pretty much any post that Teleros makes. I think he's trying to suggest that the deaths due to Covid 19 are not that much different from the average flu. Which I'm pretty sure is factually wildly innacurate, but I'm not going to look at his figures and work out what "maths" he's done to achieve this viewpoint. He could be making a statistical error, or bending the analysis to suit his world view. Any effort I expend trying to figure out which would be wasted effort.

I'm sure we've actually shut the country down for no real reason. And all the hard work that the NHS and associated workers have done has just been made up. Nobody is really sick. Nobody is really dying. Well, nobody important, anyway.

I suspect that's what he's getting at.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Just that it's been a pretty mild disease so far. Deaths are a bit up but not extraordinarily so.
    Really? Is this some sort of joke?