View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #25061
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    And those short term economic hiccups will be down to the Coronavirus dregs in any case, not the no deal brexit transition end. No sireee bob but you just watch the rejoiners attempt to put the blame on Brexit.

    We are watching, vigilant as ever!
    And the rewriting of history begins. Anything bad that happens, these muppets will try and blame it on Covid 19, rather than their beloved Brexit. Unfortunately for you dribbles, you've been hanging around with other Brexiteers too much. Normal people aren't as stupid as they are, and aren't going to be fooled as easily by this attempted sleight of hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Brexiteer def.- It's a badge in honour of a great victory, the majority of the UK wear, of pride.
    "Majority" in this case being redefined to mean "about a quarter of something". Typical Brexiteer, having to redefine the meanings of words so that they don't feel small and impotent.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

  2. #25062
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Well, good luck with that approach in future negotiations.
    Well, last time our approach was:

    > Gets an offer.
    > Melts down that it's terrible, calls a general election.
    > Gets a better offer.
    > Melts down further and elects a new leader.
    > Renegotiates for the original offer.
    > Celebrates amazing negotiation skills.

    What could go wrong?

  3. #25063
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    You do realise we have a civil service which is pretty Europhile, right? There's also a reason so many PMs and other senior politicians have said how truthful "Yes, Minister" was.
    The civil service implements government policy. Honestly if you believe that the civil service will somehow be able to sabotage the Brexit process then I really don't know what to do tell you.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    And those short term economic hiccups will be down to the Coronavirus dregs in any case, not the no deal brexit transition end. No sireee bob but you just watch the rejoiners attempt to put the blame on Brexit.

    We are watching, vigilant as ever!
    The economic fallout from CV is going to last years and compared to it, Brexit, even no-deal, will be a drop in the ocean.
    Last edited by Pann; 2020-04-21 at 03:03 PM.

  4. #25064
    Warchief Teleros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The civil service implements government policy.
    That's the idea, yes. Again, PMs from Maggie Thatcher and on have said how accurate "Yes Minister" is (eg this article in the FT). If you haven't watched that show through... I mean basically you're missing a huge part of UK political education.
    Still not tired of winning.

  5. #25065
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    That's the idea, yes. Again, PMs from Maggie Thatcher and on have said how accurate "Yes Minister" is .
    You know that show is 35 years old right?

  6. #25066
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    22,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandrisal View Post
    You know that show is 35 years old right?
    But it's political education, so naturally, every politician learned that in politicians school.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

  7. #25067
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    That's the idea, yes. Again, PMs from Maggie Thatcher and on have said how accurate "Yes Minister" is (eg this article in the FT). If you haven't watched that show through... I mean basically you're missing a huge part of UK political education.
    Both Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister, like many satirical comedies, take their inspiration from real life however they remain just that - comedies not documentaries.

  8. #25068
    Warchief Teleros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandrisal View Post
    You know that show is 35 years old right?
    Still seems to apply if recent PMs are any guide. But what would David Cameron or Tony Blair know ?
    Still not tired of winning.

  9. #25069
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    Still seems to apply if recent PMs are any guide. But what would David Cameron or Tony Blair know ?
    For the benefit of other people who have stepped through a time portal from 1983 or something, Yes Prime Minister has not been considered to be representative of British politics for at least 30 years. The Thick Of It, which came some time later in the Blair years, replaced the dynamic of an uber-powerful civil service with that of an uber-powerful spin machine, a concept which defined Blair and Cameron's governments. Even that is heavily outdated by modern standards, in a time of a right-wing populist government that eschewed all expert advice until its incompetence forced it to start listening to medical experts, and was dominated by the thinking of random nutcase Dominic Cummings who is neither a spin doctor or a civil servant.

    In other news space hoppers are no longer fashionable.
    Last edited by Tandrisal; 2020-04-21 at 05:14 PM.

  10. #25070
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brexitia
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The economic fallout from CV is going to last years and compared to it, Brexit, even no-deal, will be a drop in the ocean.
    For sure even the tremendous benefits to the UK of deal or no deal transition end probably won't mitigate the economic downsides to CV. However as someone who likes to find the silver lining in the Corona cloud one thing is sure in that it exposes the remainer lies from their side at the point of the referendum and onwards.

    How many times have you heard on this very forum from the EU shills that free trade requires free movement of people? Well the very reason for EU existence and their "crowning glory" if you like is gone.

    Free trade is happening right now and there is no EU freedom of movement. Just shows what's possible when there is the will. Have you heard an apology from the rejoiners attempted deceit? I haven't....

  11. #25071
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,374
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Free trade is happening right now and there is no EU freedom of movement.
    Except there is still plenty of freedom of movement, we literally just imported 150 Romanians to pick our veg, because in spite of so many out of work we don't have the transport infrastructure or indeed skills to actually to it ourselves.

    Never mind the entire logistics industry.

  12. #25072
    Elemental Lord zealo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Except there is still plenty of freedom of movement, we literally just imported 150 Romanians to pick our veg, because in spite of so many out of work we don't have the transport infrastructure or indeed skills to actually to it ourselves.

    Never mind the entire logistics industry.
    You certainly could have the ability to offer those jobs to native brits if you wanted to.

    The issue isn't that brits can't do those jobs if it were offered to them so much as that the farmers wants those foreigners to come do it instead of hiring domestically, cause they can be treated and paid like shit without them raising a fuss about it.

  13. #25073
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandrisal View Post
    In other news space hoppers are no longer fashionable.
    Yes. This is me c. 1962


  14. #25074
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    For sure even the tremendous benefits to the UK of deal or no deal transition end probably won't mitigate the economic downsides to CV. However as someone who likes to find the silver lining in the Corona cloud one thing is sure in that it exposes the remainer lies from their side at the point of the referendum and onwards.

    How many times have you heard on this very forum from the EU shills that free trade requires free movement of people? Well the very reason for EU existence and their "crowning glory" if you like is gone.

    Free trade is happening right now and there is no EU freedom of movement. Just shows what's possible when there is the will. Have you heard an apology from the rejoiners attempted deceit? I haven't....
    Your government is chartering planes of romanian fruitpickers?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    You certainly could have the ability to offer those jobs to native brits if you wanted to.

    The issue isn't that brits can't do those jobs if it were offered to them so much as that the farmers wants those foreigners to come do it instead of hiring domestically, cause they can be treated and paid like shit without them raising a fuss about it.
    Locals won't do it. In France it has been a student's only job for 3 decades. Students can get better wages elsewhere nowadays, so we get seasonal workers from abroad

  15. #25075
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Free trade is happening right now and there is no EU freedom of movement. Just shows what's possible when there is the will. Have you heard an apology from the rejoiners attempted deceit? I haven't....
    You are quite correct as always. We currently have no freedom of movement, but trade still continues. Shall we get to the end of the quarter and see what that does to economic growth? I'm sure since you are SO clever, it's just bound to be a huge upward rise, right?

    That's all you fascist right wing morons have, isn't it? Projection. It's the one defining characteristic that covers all of you. Anything bad that you do, you point at your opposition and accuse them of doing it. The Brexit crowd accusing Remain if lying is utterly fucking hilarious. The only way that anything you came out with related to Brexit wasn't lying is if you're so stupid that you actually believe it.

    And as far as Pann is concerned, I don't believe that Brexit will not be a noticeable impact on top of Corona. It won't be as damaging, I believe, but it will be significant and it will be longer lasting than Corona. Which means we'll get to see how badly we fare against the other countries that just have Corona to contend with. And no amount of smears and bullshit from people like you will cover up what causes it, and who is to blame. You're going to own the shit you have chosen to heap on this country.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

  16. #25076
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    You're going to own the shit you have chosen to heap on this country.
    We have it on record: at worst, there’ll be a ‘slight hiccough’, nothing more.

  17. #25077
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Yes. This is me c. 1962
    Don't lie...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We can't pass the Magna Carta! That's socialism!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    How can you NOT give anything a gun? Freedom? Liberty? Where are your Freeberties?

  18. #25078
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,374
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    You certainly could have the ability to offer those jobs to native brits if you wanted to.

    The issue isn't that brits can't do those jobs if it were offered to them so much as that the farmers wants those foreigners to come do it instead of hiring domestically, cause they can be treated and paid like shit without them raising a fuss about it.
    They were offered them. There was a huge national campaign. They don’t have the skills and can’t physically get to the rural areas they’re needed.

  19. #25079
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    From what I've read, they did apply. It is just that the entire structure of the industry is shaped around immigrant workers. They have no space for local workers to set up camp on their own if they have their own vans and some don't even have space for local workers to bring their own vehicles.
    This doesn't surprise me, I also got the impression they moved around a lot according to season, something local workers aren't equipped or able to do. None of that seems to have a lot to do with lazy English not wanting the work. We're just not set up for it, we're set up for getting commuters from the Suburbs to the City Centre and into work via Starbucks. Not surprising they had to find something else.

  20. #25080
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brexitia
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Except there is still plenty of freedom of movement, we literally just imported 150 Romanians to pick our veg, because in spite of so many out of work we don't have the transport infrastructure or indeed skills to actually to it ourselves.

    Never mind the entire logistics industry.
    That's not free movement but the UK having its cake and eating it, something remainers also lied about and said was impossible. Brexit demonstrably working as intended. The UK needs some cheap natural resources, in this case fit young people to work, scratches its head and ponders where to take them from. It looks to the EU and says they will do and nabs them, totally different from free movement and saying let's go to Paris next weekend for a jolly which is now impossible.

    That's a win for the UK and a loss to the EU.

    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    You are quite correct as always. We currently have no freedom of movement, but trade still continues. Shall we get to the end of the quarter and see what that does to economic growth? I'm sure since you are SO clever, it's just bound to be a huge upward rise, right?

    That's all you fascist right wing morons...... < dribble dribble snip snip dribble >
    You know the answer before typing the question, bad 1st quarter economic news is nothing to do with the obvious success story that is brexit, that's all on Corona my friend. Thank the heavens we left when we did so that brexit benefits can mitigate the financial and medical effects of CV.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •