View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    You highlight the beautifulness of Brexit.

Being able to change positions as the world changes as quickly and nimbly as a sole sovereign nation unburdened from the EU can do. Something like the much lauded EU corona rescue fund, for example, that took 5 days of bickering and bribery to sort out would take the UK post brexit the time it takes to drink a cup of tea to agree to.
    Because you lot didn’t procrastinate repeatedly on Brexit to the tune of two extensions and still only ending up passing May’s WA after Boris made an ass of himself by incurring the biggest defeat on legislation a British government has yet to experience.

“We get to change our minds often” is a weird way of saying “we have no idea what we are doing and throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks”.

The clownery. Y’all really have become the court jester of the United States.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    You highlight the beautifulness of Brexit.

Being able to change positions as the world changes as quickly and nimbly as a sole sovereign nation unburdened from the EU can do. Something like the much lauded EU corona rescue fund, for example, that took 5 days of bickering and bribery to sort out would take the UK post brexit the time it takes to drink a cup of tea to agree to.

Eurochums may not have noticed the ripping up of the Hong Kong treaty in the last few days that changed everything.

Too busy arguing with yourselves I guess, but do try to keep up best you can.
    So we're pretending that China started all of this just within the past few weeks?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So we're pretending that China started all of this just within the past few weeks?
    It does beg the question why a supposed nationalist is crowing about any trade deal at all since a deal is an admission that England has areas of economic weakness that they want to correct through the specialization of other country's labor - kind running counter to the narrative that "England needs nothing and no one but itself" that has underpinned Brexit since the beginning.

The reality is that England at present is led by deeply unserious and corrupt people more interested in looting that country than...you know...governing. There's no plan, goal, or direction, but the key is the pretense that it all works out to some grand design in the end.

Which is a very convenient way of taking credit for anything good that happens regardless of whether or not you actually did anything to engineer it. If Brexit does not end up an entire economic catastrophe it will be entirely due to the hard work of EU officials who spent years putting up with English bullshit and endeavoured to suss out a workable deal regardless of how flippant the UK behaves.

Possibly the funniest thing? A hilarious amount of this nonsense is only even possible because Boris has a facile sugar daddy in the form of Herr Drumpf; if he loses in November the Democrats have already stated their clear preference is for dealing with the EU with regards to affairs in that part of the world, not the UK. So when the US ends up pulling the rug from under Brexit and says "Bye Felicia", what's the plan then?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Because you lot didn’t procrastinate repeatedly on Brexit to the tune of two extensions and still only ending up passing May’s WA after Boris made an ass of himself by incurring the biggest defeat on legislation a British government has yet to experience.

“We get to change our minds often” is a weird way of saying “we have no idea what we are doing and throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks”.

The clownery. Y’all really have become the court jester of the United States.
    Boris deal is pretty much strictly worse then May because it obligates the UK to create a hard border within itself, effectively cutting N-I off from the rest of the union.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Boris deal is pretty much strictly worse then May because it obligates the UK to create a hard border within itself, effectively cutting N-I off from the rest of the union.
    Hence why I've been referring to "England" as the primary entity rather than "the UK" or "Britain" because it is abundantly clear that the concern of Brexiters is limited to a space bounded by the Tyne, the North Sea, the Irish Sea, and the Channel.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does beg the question why a supposed nationalist is crowing about any trade deal at all since a deal is an admission that England has areas of economic weakness that they want to correct through the specialization of other country's labor - kind running counter to the narrative that "England needs nothing and no one but itself" that has underpinned Brexit since the beginning.

The reality is that England at present is led by deeply unserious and corrupt people more interested in looting that country than...you know...governing. There's no plan, goal, or direction, but the key is the pretense that it all works out to some grand design in the end.

Which is a very convenient way of taking credit for anything good that happens regardless of whether or not you actually did anything to engineer it. If Brexit does not end up an entire economic catastrophe it will be entirely due to the hard work of EU officials who spent years putting up with English bullshit and endeavoured to suss out a workable deal regardless of how flippant the UK behaves.

Possibly the funniest thing? A hilarious amount of this nonsense is only even possible because Boris has a facile sugar daddy in the form of Herr Drumpf; if he loses in November the Democrats have already stated their clear preference is for dealing with the EU with regards to affairs in that part of the world, not the UK. So when the US ends up pulling the rug from under Brexit and says "Bye Felicia", what's the plan then?
    As far as I'm aware, the democrats have only stated that they're strictly opposed to dealing with Brexit Britain if peace in Northern Ireland established as a result of the GFA breaks down.

If the UK respects the withdrawal treaty with the EU in that regard, I don't think they're all that opposed to dealing with the UK, albeit that deal very much still going to be the US putting pressure on the UK to do things such as letting US pharma in on the NHS etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the democrats have only stated that they're strictly opposed to dealing with Brexit Britain if peace in Northern Ireland established as a result of the GFA breaks down.

If the UK respects the withdrawal treaty with the EU in that regard, I don't think they're all that opposed to dealing with the UK, albeit that deal very much still going to be the US putting pressure on the UK to do things such as letting US pharma in on the NHS etc.
    Just as a reminder for everyone, the Irish question is far from solved. If the UK is heading for the hard Brexit, which they are as things stand, the EU will be forced to erect a hard border. And it is the UK that forced the EU to do this. They were warned. Whatever may happen in Northern Ireland is on the UK.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post

Yes, and BoZo's government is doing its damned best to inflame tensions with the Republic of Ireland to the point that reunification looks less like an IRA pipe bomb dream and more like an inevitable outcome of England doing its best to shoot itself in the foot.

You forget who their public face is, and who he reminds Americans of.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and BoZo's government is doing its damned best to inflame tensions with the Republic of Ireland to the point that reunification looks less like an IRA pipe bomb dream and more like an inevitable outcome of England doing its best to shoot itself in the foot.

You forget who their public face is, and who he reminds Americans of.
    To be fair Boris Windhair probably has twice* the IQ of Trump

He may not use it well but that is another story

*) twice of course is not to be taken literally, just means a good chunk more here

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Just as a reminder for everyone, the Irish question is far from solved. If the UK is heading for the hard Brexit, which they are as things stand, the EU will be forced to erect a hard border. And it is the UK that forced the EU to do this. They were warned. Whatever may happen in Northern Ireland is on the UK.
    providing the UK follows their commitments and puts a border in the Irish sea then there is no Irish question because there is no need for a hard border between Ireland and N-I. Hard Brexit or not doesn't really change this.

But if the UK does not honour its commitment then yes, the EU will be forced to do it and all the troubles that could come from that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    To be fair Boris Windhair probably has twice* the IQ of Trump

He may not use it well but that is another story

*) twice of course is not to be taken literally, just means a good chunk more here
    Boris is no idiot like Trump. He looks goofy and makes dumb statements but he very much knows what he is doing.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    providing the UK follows their commitments and puts a border in the Irish sea then there is no Irish question because there is no need for a hard border between Ireland and N-I. Hard Brexit or not doesn't really change this.

But if the UK does not honour its commitment then yes, the EU will be forced to do it and all the troubles that could come from that.
    And with that and the ensuing unification the last gasps of the English colonization of Ireland were finally issued, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief as imperialism was solved.

And that would also cause problems in Northern Ireland. The Union is a big thing in the UK, I heard. Curious how that scenario is gonna play out. If the UK sticks to its promises.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Boris is no idiot like Trump. He looks goofy and makes dumb statements but he very much knows what he is doing.
    We will see if Ireland allows EU jackboots on the ground to put up and police a border as it is about to become the fifth largest financial contributor to the EU experiment.

Everyone is alright when they are getting loads of money from the EU pot, much less so when they have to pay it all back in as the Irish will soon find out. They kinda, like the UK once did, will want some benefits for all that cash.

We tried to warn you! Irish politicians panic as Dublin gives more than gets in EU budget

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...inn-fein-covid

The UK is never going to police a border in the Irish sea in a manner acceptable to the EU.

And with that and the ensuing unification the last gasps of the English colonization of Ireland were finally issued, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief as imperialism was solved.
    And with that and the ensuing disunification the last gasps of the EU colonization of Europe were finally issued, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief as imperialism was solved.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

We will see if Ireland allows EU jackboots on the ground to put up and police a border as it is about to become the fifth largest financial contributor to the EU experiment.

Everyone is alright when they are getting loads of money from the EU pot, much less so when they have to pay it all back in as the Irish will soon find out. They kinda, like the UK once did, will want some benefits for all that cash.

We tried to warn you! Irish politicians panic as Dublin gives more than gets in EU budget

The UK is never going to police a border in the Irish sea in a manner acceptable to the EU.

And with that and the ensuing disunification the last gasps of the EU colonization of Europe were finally issued, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief as imperialism was solved.
    Their net contribution is a few hundred millions a year. The new budget has a 5 billion brexit fund just for them. But please do keep on trolling and spewing nonsense. You're still mildly entertaining.
    The UK WILL put up a border unless it wants to violate an international agreement.
    Oh and congratulations! It looks like you're not getting your fta with the US this year after all so your NHS is safe for now.

There are no EU jackboots. That's idiotic.

10+ Year Old Account

But.. If the UK won't police a border, and the Irish won't let the EU do it.. Then we can all just invade the UK through northern Ireland, since there will be no border.

Great control of your borders there, Dribbles! 10/10 brexiting, not even controlling your borders properly, which was the main selling point behind Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But.. If the UK won't police a border, and the Irish won't let the EU do it.. Then we can all just invade the UK through northern Ireland, since there will be no border.

Great control of your borders there, Dribbles! 10/10 brexiting, not even controlling your borders properly, which was the main selling point behind Brexit.
    The cynicism is strong in this one isn't it? Campaign on "take back controls of our borders" except for the one bloody actual physical border they have.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    The cynicism is strong in this one isn't it? Campaign on "take back controls of our borders" except for the one bloody actual physical border they have.
    Well, they do have Gibraltar so, it's not the only physical border with Europe.

Oh, btw. does anyone know what'll happen to Gibraltar?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

What do you think? Hard border means hard border.

Probably auction it at Christie's because they need cash? Or fish?
    You're right, forgot about this one too.