View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Why are you guys even discussing grocery prices? Dribs just shits a random wild claim into the world and everyone feels the need to justify EU pricing? Are you mad? Guess what, everyone pays just about the same for a chicken and an egg. It's really not that big of a deal. lol
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Why are you guys even discussing grocery prices? Dribs just shits a random wild claim into the world and everyone feels the need to justify EU pricing? Are you mad? Guess what, everyone pays just about the same for a chicken and an egg. It's really not that big of a deal. lol
    Because it gives us something to do

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    ... does poultry really cost £5.00 in the UK, or is it just you being unfamiliar with pricing levels outside of your precious Waitrose?

Here like a kilo of EU bred chicken already goes for what you're claiming it should cost. Same for egg packages.
    Well yeah I guessed £5 a dozen without looking, here's some of Prince Charlie's finest.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...92-49035-49036

But it is a big deal Slanty. A families weekly grocery shop is probably their largest non discretionary expenditure a year. I would say my shop of £300 a week or £15k a year at waitrose is about average and hidden in that cost is the necessary compliance from food manufacturers with needless EU demands.

From peanut packets with EU warnings they may contain nuts, to inflated EU banana prices, to EU cans of coke with the ingredients listed on the side in a dozen EU languages...the list goes on and on all of which are costs added on to my weekly shop. I pay for it and don't want to.

I'd be willing to bet outside the EU and without a level playing field a UK consumer might save 10 to 20% of their annual grocery shop or up to 3k a year in my case, that's a sum not to be sniffed at. The soon to be bonfire of EU red tape and regulation in the UK brought about by Brexit is a tangible benefit all can see and no one can deny.

Go on I dare you to work out how much EU membership is costing you. If all Germans did that like the British have they would be voting out of the EU immediately.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Well yeah I guessed £5 a dozen without looking, here's some of Prince Charlie's finest.

But it is a big deal Slanty. A families weekly grocery shop is probably their largest non discretionary expenditure a year. I would say my shop of £300 a week or £15k a year at waitrose is about average and hidden in that cost is the necessary compliance from food manufacturers with needless EU demands.

From peanut packets with EU warnings they may contain nuts, to inflated EU banana prices, to EU cans of coke with the ingredients listed on the side in a dozen EU languages...the list goes on and on all of which are costs added on to my weekly shop. I pay for it and don't want to.

I'd be willing to bet outside the EU and without a level playing field a UK consumer might save 10 to 20% of their annual grocery shop or up to 3k a year in my case, that's a sum not to be sniffed at. The soon to be bonfire of EU red tape and regulation in the UK brought about by Brexit is a tangible benefit all can see and no one can deny.

Go on I dare you to work out how much EU membership is costing you. If all Germans did that like the British have they would be voting out of the EU immediately.
    Yeah, I think you're right. So how much are you willing to bet?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

You want numbers, have some numbers:

My parents pay about 150 euro per week when they shop for a family of 5 in Germany. That includes several bottles of wine, decent quality steak (rib-eye, filet mignon), atlantic (non-farm) salmon, free-range chicken and eggs and so on. So what, about 135 quid? Including the "necessary compliance from food manufacturers with needless EU demands", too.

So "eating" costs here are at most half yours in Brexitland, probably less. When we visit the UK, one thing that strikes us is how expensive living there is compared to here. The equivalent to an 8 pound bottle of wine in the UK is like €3,50 here, a 500ml can of lager is €0.50 instead of £1.50 in Tesco (because of how much alcohol duty the UK government levies).

Even if you save 30% after Brexit, you're still paying nearly twice as much for food as we are in Germany.

10+ Year Old Account
    Less trade, so less goods going in and out. Your own coin dropping in value constantly. Yet suddenly shopping while being reliant on importing goods is going to become cheaper during brexit.

Wouldn't surprise me if the UK government would up the sale tax to simply compensate for certain losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Less trade, so less goods going in and out. Your own coin dropping in value constantly. Yet suddenly shopping while being reliant on importing goods is going to become cheaper during brexit.

Wouldn't surprise me if the UK government would up the sale tax to simply compensate for certain losses.
    The UK doesn't impose sales tax on food other than catering, alcoholic drinks, confectionery, crisps and savoury snacks, hot food, sports drinks, hot takeaways, ice cream, soft drinks and mineral water.

The cost of food is the cost of food. And with WTO tariffs from 01 January 2021, that'll either stay the same or get more expensive.

I thought I'd check the Office of National Statistics because I thought the weekly spend of 300 pounds was rather unrealistic for the average weekly family food shop.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...itureandtrends

The average is about 50 pounds, not including alcoholic drinks. So either Mr Average Dribbles spends 250 pounds a week on booze, or he was lying about being an "average consumer".
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2020-07-30 at 06:41 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    From peanut packets with EU warnings they may contain nuts, to inflated EU banana prices, to EU cans of coke with the ingredients listed on the side in a dozen EU languages...the list goes on and on all of which are costs added on to my weekly shop. I pay for it and don't want to. 7
    Hmm are you sure that is even demanded by the EU? Googling quickly and lazily tells me https://farrp.unl.edu/image/image_ga...nformation.pdf

7 Are precautionary allergen warning statements (eg. ‘May Contain Nuts’) covered by the rules?
    No. Precautionary allergen statements or ‘May Contain’ typestatements, which food manufacturers voluntarily use to communicate allergen cross-contamination risks, do not fall within the scope of EU FIC.
    Precautionary allergen labelling is voluntary and used to communicate the real risk of any allergens present due to cross contamination. ‘May Contain’ typestatements are still permitted and its use and basis for application has not been affected.
    Implying it is a voluntary warning

That said it should be a mandatory warning if there may be [traces of] peanut in non peanut products (contamination)
    Last edited by Xarkan; 2020-08-01 at 06:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    My parents pay about 150 euro per week when they shop for a family of 5 in Germany.
    We spend ~135 euro a week for a family of 3, but that's because we have to worry about allergens (Jesus Christ is it expensive sometimes). We could probably drop it to 100 euro or less if we didn't have to worry about that.
    If Dribbles really spends 300 pound for a single person.. That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    We spend ~135 euro a week for a family of 3, but that's because we have to worry about allergens (Jesus Christ is it expensive sometimes). We could probably drop it to 100 euro or less if we didn't have to worry about that.
    If Dribbles really spends 300 pound for a single person.. That's ridiculous.
    Considering he doesn't know what an egg costs I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he doesn't spend 300 pounds on shopping and infact lives with his parents who do the shopping for him.
    He is just pulling numbers out of his ass, I mean he just admitted he did that with his eggs.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

300 quid a week for a 4 person family is more than anyone pays anyone in any state in any of the European countries. Go to your mum and ask what she actually pays next time you ask for a candy. Tell her you need it so you don't embarass her on the internet.

Coke does not print cans with multiple languages. You would know this if you were actually old enough to travel around as you false claimed before. Each country has their own printing:

And even if, nobody ON THE PLANET cares about the cost of 0.0000001 quid that it costs to print the same area with different letters, cos the space isn't going to end up metallic aluminium, it's going to be replaced with some marketing text. You WOULD know this if you were actually old enough.

I know pretty much how much EU membership is costing me. I also know what the benefits are. Because unlike you, I have the mental capacity to process new information. I also don't take delight in the misery of others and I do not actively pursue methods to kill my neighbours and fellow countrymen like you do. But then, I am not a sociopath. I hope you have a pleasant day in the miserable existence that you call your life.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Coke does not print cans with multiple languages. You would know this if you were actually old enough to travel around as you false claimed before. Each country has their own printing:
    Actually in Belgium due to having two official languages and being a fairly small nation, we generally have french and dutch on every package or can.

Actually in Belgium due to having two official languages and being a fairly small nation, we generally have french and dutch on every package or can.
    Well, yes, I should probably have said "with multiple languages not relevant to your country". As far as I know, Coca Cola pretty much has sites in most major countries and produce their cans locally. But I'm already diving way deeper into a meaningless topic than I wanted to. Let's leave it here.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, yes, I should probably have said "with multiple languages not relevant to your country". As far as I know, Coca Cola pretty much has sites in most major countries and produce their cans locally. But I'm already diving way deeper into a meaningless topic than I wanted to. Let's leave it here.
    Well they probably license it out

I believe in Denmark it is Carlsberg that makes them

10+ Year Old Account
    Countries and regions with multiple languages where the same product is made for all of them, are a bit of an exception, but generally not to such an extent that there's more languages on a can than you can count on one hand.

It's a a textbook definition of a non-issue.

From peanut packets with EU warnings they may contain nuts.
    @dribbles ,Peanuts are not nuts but a legume. So if the Factory also cans,packages Nuts cross contamination is possible. So I fail to see the problem with the warning.

7+ Year Old Account
    300 quid a week for a 4 person family is more than anyone pays anyone in any state in any of the European countries. Go to your mum and ask what she actually pays next time you ask for a candy. Tell her you need it so you don't embarass her on the internet.

And even if, nobody ON THE PLANET cares about the cost of 0.0000001 quid that it costs to print the same area with different letters, cos the space isn't going to end up metallic aluminium, it's going to be replaced with some marketing text. You WOULD know this if you were actually old enough.

I know pretty much how much EU membership is costing me. I also know what the benefits are. Because unlike you, I have the mental capacity to process new information. I also don't take delight in the misery of others and I do not actively pursue methods to kill my neighbours and fellow countrymen like you do. But then, I am not a sociopath. I hope you have a pleasant day in the miserable existence that you call your life.
    The figure of grocery shopping I gave was only illustratory. Whether you manage to feed a family of four on a tenner a week or like me 300 a week you the consumer still pay hidden in that sum an excessive amount purely due to pointless EU legislation and over regulation.

The Coke can labelling issue again, yet you miss the point, was just another example of EU unnecessary legislation. Do you honestly think someone picks up a can of coke in the shop, reads the crap on the side and says to themselves "oh I don't/do like the look of that I'm not/am going to buy it?" Don't be stupid of course they don't. It is an EU requirement that is of no use to anyone.

If they buy that can the consumer is paying for food analysts, translators, and so on and so on to put useless info on the side of the tin only because the EU require it. And they the EU citizen pay more for it.

From peanuts to bent bananas to cigarettes to alcohol the EU sticks their interfering grubby legislative hands on it to the detriment of EU people. In everything you do, everything the EU touches makes products more expensive than they need to be.

Here in the UK, as a benefit of brexit, I can't wait for the bonfire of EU red tape and an end to the level playing field.

You say you know how much EU membership costs you and yet fail to mention it, do you really? Come on what's the figure, how much? You say there are benefits to EU membership, yet again fail to mention one. Go on give us an example?

You are a broken record with no substance.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-08-01 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

The Coke can labelling issue again, yet you miss the point, was just another example of EU unnecessary legislation. Do you honestly think someone picks up a can of coke in the shop, reads the crap on the side and says to themselves "oh I don't/do like the look of that I'm not/am going to buy it?" Don't be stupid of course they don't. It is an EU requirement that is of no use to anyone.

If they buy that can the consumer is paying for food analysts, translators, and so on and so on to put useless info on the side of the tin only because the EU require it. And they the EU citizen pay more for it.
    Kinda cute that you think only the EU requires food to have a nutrition information label. I guess that since you dislike it so much, you'll avoid buying food from South Korea, New Zealand, Canada, and your overlord to be, the US, in the future. And that's just a few examples.

10+ Year Old Account
    You say there are benefits to EU membership, yet again fail to mention one. Go on give us an example?

You are a broken record with no substance.
    [Infraction]
    I'll just answer this part, since it's the easiest.
    The benefits of EU membership is being able to trade freely and openly with about 26 of our closest neighbours. More if you include members of the EEA.

Do you have any idea how good easy and cheap global trade is for an individual country? Because it's very, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I'll just answer this part, since it's the easiest.
    The benefits of EU membership is being able to trade freely and openly with about 26 of our closest neighbours. More if you include members of the EEA.

Do you have any idea how good easy and cheap global trade is for an individual country? Because it's very, very good.
    Or to translate that to a personal level:

I can order mozzarella cheese from a buffalo farmer in northern Italy, Spanish tomatoes, Greek olives from a specific orchard in Greece and French garlic, herbs and dried sausage from Provence to make a pizza without having to worry about it all getting held up in customs and going bad while they figure out if they were allowed to export it, I was allowed to import it, and how much them messing around with the red tape will cost me.

If work posts me to the Netherlands, France, Poland, Italy, Spain or one of the other EU27 (and some of the EEA member states that are in Schengen), I can simply move there. No fussing around with the social security offices about pension contributions, no issues with taxes, no interviews at the consulate for a work visa. I can basically get on a train, find a flat, turn up at the office and start working. Thanks to EU train schedule harmonization, home is only a 4-5 hour train ride away.

If I want to go on holiday, I can go to the train station and get pretty much anywhere in Europe (or beyond - I can get to Moscow with one change for example) with one change at most, and the only thing that tells you that you left your country is the language of the street signs.

I don't have to queue for passport control. I've got off a plane from a Schengen country in Frankfurt and been on the train 30 minutes later (and it's about a 25 minute walk from the gate to the platform if you hurry). If I had to queue for passport control I'd have had to wait for the next train. I can get on a train in Germany and be drinking coffee with a croissant on the Champs Elysée in the same time it takes to get from Manchester to London (and I don't even need to take my ID card or passport with me).

The EU has visa waiver agreements with many countries. My German passport will get me into something like 180 countries without the need for a tourist visa. My British one won't do this with a lot of countries as of December 31, until the UK government strikes the respective agreements.

When I go abroad my domestic mobile phone tariff applies to EU roaming, so I don't get a bill for 300 Euro when I get home. I also don't need to use a VPN to access things like the ARD Mediathek (like BBC iPlayer) or Netflix (Americans do, for example) when I'm abroad.

I know exactly what is in my food, and where meat and vegetables were sourced because of EU labelling regulations. I can even find the chicken that laid the egg I had for breakfast on a map from the code printed on the egg shell.

So yeah, no benefit to living in the EU? I think not.