View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I'd have expected him to come and make a big deal about the EU trying to get the courts involved over the whole "Breaking the WA" thing and saying how the EU doesn't have any power since the UK is a sovereign nation
    Exactly right. You forgot we will counter sue but it's just for pointless funsies really, the EU holds no enforceable powers over the UK now and never will again.

When does the trade war start? That's where it is heading, the EU started it, once again the UK will finish it. How perfidious...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Exactly right. You forgot we will counter sue but it's just for pointless funsies really, the EU holds no enforceable powers over the UK now and never will again.

When does the trade war start? That's where it is heading, the EU started it, once again the UK will finish it. How perfidious...
    So you admitted you are in the wrong but don't care because the EU can't enforce anything? I mean, whatever floats your sinking boat.

Counter sue? Based on what? Every judge would immediately dismiss it on its own merits...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Your assuming your dealing with a smart person with a realistic view of the reality.

The alternative is that he severely over-estimated the importance of the uk, and really thought that the bluff would work.
    I assume he is lazy and untrustworthy (since he would rather lie than make an effort) but i do not think he is stupid

He is not Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    I assume he is lazy and untrustworthy (since he would rather lie than make an effort) but i do not think he is stupid
    Even intelligent people can over-estimate their own brilliance and importance, especially if surrounded by yes-men.

I'm not certain that it is the case, but I see it as a possibility.

10+ Year Old Account

Counter sue on what grounds? "They did something completely legal and we don't like that!"?

And are you sure you want to start a trade war with the EU? Considering how it starts, no one else will want to deal with you either, maybe except China because they'll dominate you even harder than the EU would.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Counter sue on what grounds? "They did something completely legal and we don't like that!"?

And are you sure you want to start a trade war with the EU? Considering how it starts, no one else will want to deal with you either, maybe except China because they'll dominate you even harder than the EU would.
    Aside from the WA clearly stating the EU will act in good faith, using best endeavours, to achieve a deal with the UK, it has not done this and has broken the WA. The UK signed the WA under false pretences, the EU acted illegally and as such the UK has ample justification for re-writing it as you or I would any unfair contract.

The EU Withdrawal Agreement – why UK law must prevail

https://lawyersforbritain.org/the-eu...w-must-prevail

It is UK law, as applicable to the UK, that is now superior to EU law and there is enough there to legally tie the EU up in knots for months and months, if not years, in any court. Good job there is no time pressure on either side wouldn't you say? No wonder after 60 years of trying the EU still hasn't a signed trade agreement with the USA, what hope have we? Oh well we took the EU at their word back in the day when we signed the WA, turns out it was worth nothing. Tick tock...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    No wonder after 60 years of trying the EU still hasn't a signed trade agreement with the USA, what hope have we? Oh well we took the EU at their word back in the day when we signed the WA, turns out it was worth nothing. Tick tock...
    The EU hasn't signed a deal with the USA because the USA refuses to give certain things that the EU demand in a deal.
    It hasn't happened because the EU is too strong for the US to bully.
    - Lars

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    The EU hasn't signed a deal with the USA because the USA refuses to give certain things that the EU demand in a deal.
    It hasn't happened because the EU is too strong for the US to bully.
    The UK hasn't signed a deal with the EU because the EU refuses to give certain things that the UK demand in a deal.
    It hasn't happened because the UK is too strong for the EU to bully.

Did you see what I did just there? Que sera sera...

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Counter sue? Based on what? Every judge would immediately dismiss it on its own merits...
    Remember he still somehow believes the EU is not negotiating in good faith despite all their red lines being previously known.

And yes any Judge is going to laugh at the argument the EU is acting in bad faith. But when has reality ever stopped Brexit.

- - - Updated - - -

The UK hasn't signed a deal with the EU because the EU refuses to give certain things that the UK demand in a deal.

And yet the UK is now offering fishing concessions.
    Stronk indeed.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Too strong to bully? Hardly. The EU is being excessively nice to the UK. When the EU wants to bully someone, it looks quite a bit different. And the only reason the EU even listens when the UK "demands" is because they are being nice.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Too strong to bully? Hardly. The EU is being excessively nice to the UK. When the EU wants to bully someone, it looks quite a bit different. And the only reason the EU even listens when the UK "demands" is because they are being nice.
    Why do you even bother? The guy is only here to troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Why do you even bother? The guy is only here to troll.
    He is. But unfortunately, since the mods here don't do anything about it, it is good to oppose him on pure principle. Or would you like this to become another cesspool of the likes of him where every sane person has left because the only thing left is trolling and insane drivel?

He is. But unfortunately, since the mods here don't do anything about it, it is good to oppose him on pure principle. Or would you like this to become another cesspool of the likes of him where every sane person has left because the only thing left is trolling and insane drivel?
    I just have him on ignore and swing right past. I speak to sensible people instead to preserve my sanity.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Remember he still somehow believes the EU is not negotiating in good faith despite all their red lines being previously known.

And yes any Judge is going to laugh at the argument the EU is acting in bad faith. But when has reality ever stopped Brexit.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet the UK is now offering fishing concessions.
    Stronk indeed.
    No concessions, just the offer of a gentle wind down of a foreign power fishing operation in our waters, rather than the UK letting the EU fishing industry crash over a cliff edge in a few weeks time. Ultimately without a deal the EU can't have their cake and eat it, plus as Michael Gove says:-

Gove fires 'personal' threat at EU on fishing as he shuts down Brexit deal sell-out fears
    :-My dad ran a fishing business, that business went to the wall in the 1980s as a result of the EU and their Common Fisheries Policy. So it's personal for me.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...r-conservatism

Nope, no concession to the bullies, best way to treat them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I just have him on ignore and swing right past. I speak to sensible people instead to preserve my sanity.
    You are also putting yourself in a bubble. That is not good, either. It's important for you to engage with opposing opinions and views to broaden your horizon. Otherwise you'll find yourself in echo chamber pretty quickly.

You are also putting yourself in a bubble. That is not good, either. It's important for you to engage with opposing opinions and views to broaden your horizon. Otherwise you'll find yourself in echo chamber pretty quickly.
    Except ignoring obvious trolls isn't putting yourself in a bubble.

Engaging with trolls doesn't widen my worldview one bit. I can observe them from a distance without needing to dig deep into the mud with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhran View Post
    Except ignoring obvious trolls isn't putting yourself in a bubble.
    Why it's important to oppose bullshit being peddled isn't really an attempt to change the mind of the one doing it, but to oppose spreading of misinformation for the sake of other readers of the thread.

Just letting it fester doesn't lead anywhere good.

While I don't necessarily have the time and energy to engage with all kinds of posters, unfortunately this forum is a bit lax when it comes to policing you-know-what, so it's useful if someone can debunk their posts and perhaps even mock them - if only to make them look like fools to anyone else just casually reading the forum.

Now, we probably should steer this on-topic.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2020-10-02 at 02:27 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance