View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I was keeping up a bit on Brexit about a thousand years ago when it was supposed to happen quickly (this would be before the 2016 U.S. Presidential election).
    Ah, yes, the vote was in June 2016, but Brexit didn't even start in truth until March 2017 when the uk handed in the resignation papers (article 50).

That was then supposed to take 2 years, but the uk decided it needed more time so it was extended several times until finally ending in January 2020; and was replaced by a transition period (the only difference is that uk isn't formally in the EU - but the same rules apply) that will end 31st of December 2020.
    (Basically the uk had a one of the worst governments whose ineptitude was still overshadowed by the opposition.)

The end of that transition period is likely the start of the real mess; as the oven-ready deal isn't ready yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    We certainly broke from reality ourselves. Tens of millions of people just not willing to be anything buy ignorant sychophants to a deranged dictator. I can't imagine what it's going to be like when the hammer finally drops for you.

What is the expectation? When I stopped following it (at our break from reality) there was hope it would be reversed or amended or whatever. Seems like that's not going to happen. What's expected in the first year?
    It'll be shit, brexiters will blame the EU and remainers for everything, but three cheers for control of borders.

In other news, other EU countries managed to 'take control' of their borders within 24 hours, and shut the british out, apparently they're far more effecient than the brits are "or more clever". Scroll up abit, and you'll see Dribbles cry and whine about it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    It'll be shit, brexiters will blame the EU and remainers for everything, but three cheers for control of borders.

In other news, other EU countries managed to 'take control' of their borders within 24 hours, and shut the british out, apparently they're far more effecient than the brits are "or more clever". Scroll up abit, and you'll see Dribbles cry and whine about it tho.
    They were always in control. Border controls were just made largely unnecessary due to the freedom of movement. But Member States were always free to keep them if it made them happy. As they have since the pandemic started.
    But now the UK had an epiphany and can keep NHS vital evil foreign staff, necessary catering staff and seasonal cheap fruit pickers away, and fall into a dark oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    They were always in control. Border controls were just made largely unnecessary due to the freedom of movement. But Member States were always free to keep them if it made them happy. As they have since the pandemic started.
    But now the UK had an epiphany and can keep NHS vital evil foreign staff, necessary catering staff and seasonal cheap fruit pickers away, and fall into a dark oblivion.
    Oh I realise they were, but the irony in EU countries making that obvious within hours, while the brexiteers have been celebrating 'brexit means we'll be taking back control of our borders!!11' for years, is quite entertaining

Rumours are that a deal has been struck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Rumours are that a deal has been struck.
    Do you have a source? Can't see anyhing i the news or twitter, other than there is progress and ambassadors should be available tomorrow just in case

Do you have a source? Can't see anyhing i the news or twitter, other than there is progress and ambassadors should be available tomorrow just in case
    I found this report on Reuters:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUKKBN28X1OD

“It seems the deal is pretty much there. It’s a matter of announcing it today or tomorrow,” said one EU diplomat, saying the European Council, which represents the member states in Brussels, had started preparations to enable so-called “provisional application”, a fast-track implementation of the agreement.
    Details pretty thin on the ground, looks like there'll be an annoucement this side of Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    I found this report on Reuters:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUKKBN28X1OD

Details pretty thin on the ground, looks like there'll be an annoucement this side of Christmas.
    Thanks. Let's hope they manage.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks. Let's hope they manage.
    I am not sure a democratical crisis when the council tries to ram things through without parliament is something to hope for.. *shrugs*

Similar thing here:

https://www.dw.com/en/brexit-trade-t...witter-sharing

and here

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...nt-brexit-deal

But will it be signed off?:

Governments have not yet seen a copy of the text negotiated over the past nine months. They will need to sign off on any accord with the UK.
    "It all depends on what has been agreed on fish," said a senior diplomat from a coastal state

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    I am not sure a democratical crisis when the council tries to ram things through without parliament is something to hope for.. *shrugs*
    I was a bit concerned about it. But the EP will get its vote. I understand they won't like it, but I don't see them taking responsibility for a few weeks or a month of no deal until they ratify it either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Similar thing here:

and here

Governments have not yet seen a copy of the text negotiated over the past nine months. They will need to sign off on any accord with the UK.
    "It all depends on what has been agreed on fish," said a senior diplomat from a coastal state
    Ok, so nothing agreed yet.

BJ rumoured to make an announcement shortly:

https://twitter.com/EuroGuido/status...08211989585924

"Huge concessions" by UK on fishing apparently

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/sta...99775952318465

Paraphrasing the words of the immortal Kevin Keegan: I will love it if BJ has folded! Love it!

- - - Updated - - -

Ha ha this is fantastic

Cunts at the Daily Express getting very cross:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...t-talks-latest

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er_dailymailUK

Optimism had been growing all day after it was claimed the difference between Lord Frost and Michel Barnier had come down to fish worth the equivalent of a good Premier League footballer's transfer fee.

This is quite ridiculous. The complete and utter stupidity of the situation.

I'm not celebrating this as Remainer who thinks he's getting his own way. The end result of this is still a disaster for the UK. This is an absolute shit show. I'm celebrating this because, by the sounds of it, Steve "I'm A Brexit Hardman" Baker is bursting blood vessels.... ha ha ha

Paul Pogba's shit anyway. lol

Fishing For Leave https://ffl.org.uk getting even angrier:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...deal-fisheries

Fuck off you bunch of sea-faring, barnacle-encrusted, mussel-flavoured-cunt-smelling cunts. No-one with one drop of sanity gives a fuck.

Apologies, I'm going full Captain Haddock tonight. Will stop now.

BJ bowing to VDL's schedule and according to Peston announcement might be tomorrow now.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1341815010947977217
    Last edited by LeGin Tufnel; 2020-12-23 at 07:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Similar thing here:

and here

Apparently if there's a deal Macron is happy with the result and that means quite a bit of concessions, i will be more concerned if the UK parliament doesn't vote against it one more time than the EU at this point though.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Apparently if there's a deal Macron is happy with the result and that means quite a bit of concessions, i will be more concerned if the UK parliament doesn't vote against it one more time than the EU at this point though.
    That's a concern, although I'd bet fishing is not a big topic in most constituencies, so most MPs could vote in favor of the deal and get away with just a bit of bitching from the express.

A few things come to mind at this point

'we hold all the cards'
    'one of the easiest in human history'

The UK's trade deal will be worse than what they already have with the EU, letting the clock run out and showing thath they'll take a piss on stuff like the WA, is not anything that improved their international character.

In the end, they'll be a 'lesser member'. They'll have to abide to rules, but not sit at the table

In a way this is a shame. Obviously the deal will involve the UK caving on all the important stuff, and the result will be closer to the BINO end of the spectrum. Which means the rabid Brexit crowd will be able to a) continue to complain like toddlers that they haven't got everything they wanted and b) continue to pretend that no-deal wouldn't have been the fucking disaster it was guaranteed to be.

I'd almost be happier if enough of the ERG crowd throw toys out of their prams to stop this being ratified on the UK side initially; then we get to see no-deal in action for a month or two with the safety net of a deal to fall back on once they come to their senses. I wouldn't wish the impacts on people, but I don't see any other way of breaking through the reality shields that the Brexiteers employ. We need to prove to them unequivocally that their desires were ridiculous and unattainable. We need to ram no-deal in their faces and taint them with the smell of it for eternity.

As it is, when things get worse (and they will get worse, regardless of how "good" the final deal is) the Brexiteers will fall back on the big lie "it only failed because you watered Brexit down. If we'd had a pure no-deal Brexit, it would have been wonderful. It's all the fault of the traitor Remainers that it failed". I could probably write the dribbles post word for word at this point.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    In a way this is a shame. Obviously the deal will involve the UK caving on all the important stuff, and the result will be closer to the BINO end of the spectrum. Which means the rabid Brexit crowd will be able to a) continue to complain like toddlers that they haven't got everything they wanted and b) continue to pretend that no-deal wouldn't have been the fucking disaster it was guaranteed to be.

I'd almost be happier if enough of the ERG crowd throw toys out of their prams to stop this being ratified on the UK side initially; then we get to see no-deal in action for a month or two with the safety net of a deal to fall back on once they come to their senses. I wouldn't wish the impacts on people, but I don't see any other way of breaking through the reality shields that the Brexiteers employ. We need to prove to them unequivocally that their desires were ridiculous and unattainable. We need to ram no-deal in their faces and taint them with the smell of it for eternity.

As it is, when things get worse (and they will get worse, regardless of how "good" the final deal is) the Brexiteers will fall back on the big lie "it only failed because you watered Brexit down. If we'd had a pure no-deal Brexit, it would have been wonderful. It's all the fault of the traitor Remainers that it failed". I could probably write the dribbles post word for word at this point.
    Oh they’ll bitch for sure. Tbh I’ll just enjoy the lack if economic pain on the EU, and be amused about people like Dribbles crying themselves to sleep.

Oh they’ll bitch for sure. Tbh I’ll just enjoy the lack if economic pain on the EU, and be amused about people like Dribbles crying themselves to sleep.
    If Bj can secure a deal with the EU, that is one hell of a coup on his behalf, i get that you guys want the UK to suffer, some of the posts in this thread have been pretty disgusting the last couple of years with the constant barrage of hate on the UK etc, but one thing is for sure, if this goes ahead they have pulled an absolute blinder, no two ways about it.

Some of the goal post moving, and scrambling to push different narratives is astounding.

Sacrifices have been made on both sides. I get it is not the result you wanted with lets make little Britain suffer, cant believe some of the posters here are British, with them wanting the country to fail, disgusting.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sircaw View Post
    If Bj can secure a deal with the EU, that is one hell of a coup on his behalf, i get that you guys want the UK to suffer, some of the posts in this thread have been pretty disgusting the last couple of years with the constant barrage of hate on the UK etc, but one thing is for sure, if this goes ahead they have pulled an absolute blinder, no two ways about it.

Some of the goal post moving, and scrambling to push different narratives is astounding.

Sacrifices have been made on both sides. I get it is not the result you wanted with lets make little Britain suffer, cant believe some of the posters here are British, with them wanting the country to fail, disgusting.
    Maybe the UK could have avoided hate if they did not bring hate and lies about the EU into this for years on years. Just maybe

7+ Year Old Account
    What's delicious is the crowing here of remainers about the morsel the UK has given the EU and celebrating it as a win for the EU. Rather like someone throwing a starving dog a bone. But the UK caved? LOL The EU wanted ECJ oversight of UK laws, they didn't get it. The EU used to get £350 million a week, the UK conceded £50 million of fish a year for a few more years.

Of course things could have been better for pure brexiteers like me with a no deal, but the EU doing a deal with known perfidious ones will be much more fun as the UK daily pushes the boundaries to the very limits of that agreement. We will continue to run rings around the EU.

I suppose when you start out with the extreme position of remaining in the EU, the smallest crumb found in favour of the EU under the microscope is taken as a win. Happy Brexmas remainers, enjoy your Turkey, not like we are rejoining though is it?

8 sleeps.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"