View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Boris lying in the Commons already. The debate on the deal is literally minutes old.

"we will be able to design our own standards and regulations"

Yes, you willl. And if the EU doesn't accept them, you will get tarrifs on any products impacted by those standards and regulations. I guess he just forgot to mention that part?

Taking back control (as long as the EU agree).
    To be fair he has to sell this to the brexit crowd as a win, there isn't an alternative.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I am a conservative myself so this lack of empathy is not something i see among myself or others. Not that i accredit a lot of good will to the tories i find that due the lack of a good opposition they are allowed to run rampant.
    They are allowed to run rampant because they have total control of the media.

Regardless of whether you agree with their policies or not, poor people who vote Tory are acting against the interest of their own class. It is both impossible and undesirable to try and help people that hurt themselves by prioritizing mildly racist policies over their own economic interest.

The EU (Future Relationship) Bill has passed its first vote in the Commons by 521 votes to 73. It now heads to the Lords.

Quote Originally Posted by farsas View Post
    I think it is perhaps time to challenge the right's monopoly on self-proclaimed nationalism.
    If you changed the word "nationalism" to "patriotism", I'd agree 100% with this.

No real point getting into semantics, but for me at least “nationalism" has negative connotations whereas "patriotism" doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Boris lying in the Commons already. The debate on the deal is literally minutes old.

"we will be able to design our own standards and regulations"

Yes, you willl. And if the EU doesn't accept them, you will get tarrifs on any products impacted by those standards and regulations. I guess he just forgot to mention that part?

Taking back control (as long as the EU agree).
    Yes. He’s a “cakeist”.

Post-Brexit trade: UK having its cake and eating it, says Boris Johnson

Critics had said "you couldn't have free trade with the EU unless you conformed with the EU's laws", said the PM. and "that that was having your cake and eating it".

"That has turned out not to be true," he added. "I want you to see that this is a cakeist treaty."

Whereas all of us on this forum know full well that the cake is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    If you changed the word "nationalism" to "patriotism", I'd agree 100% with this.

No real point getting into semantics, but for me at least “nationalism" has negative connotations whereas "patriotism" doesn't.

Yes. He’s a “cakeist”.

Post-Brexit trade: UK having its cake and eating it, says Boris Johnson

Critics had said "you couldn't have free trade with the EU unless you conformed with the EU's laws", said the PM. and "that that was having your cake and eating it".

"That has turned out not to be true," he added. "I want you to see that this is a cakeist treaty."

Whereas all of us on this forum know full well that the cake is a lie.
    Yeah I think the treaty is rather explicit in that free trade will only exist so long as all goods send to the EU conform with EU law.

But its a tiny bit right. UK Companies can now deviate from EU regulations, providing they don't ship to the EU. But what kind of goods are we talking about then that would be made in the UK and then shipped half way across the world, that are not better off being made closer to their destination?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Yeah I think the treaty is rather explicit in that free trade will only exist so long as all goods send to the EU conform with EU law.

But its a tiny bit right. UK Companies can now deviate from EU regulations, providing they don't ship to the EU. But what kind of goods are we talking about then that would be made in the UK and then shipped half way across the world, that are not better off being made closer to their destination?
    Also, what kind of company is going to set up two production lines, one for the EU and one for "other"? They'll either produce to the same standards for both (fulfilling the requirements for both), or they'll stop selling to the stricter market because production is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    Also, what kind of company is going to set up two production lines, one for the EU and one for "other"? They'll either produce to the same standards for both (fulfilling the requirements for both), or they'll stop selling to the stricter market because production is too expensive.
    I already provided what I feel is a pretty good example using US auto makers. California is able to set its own emission standards for vehicles because of their massive cities and the pollution issues they had. But because the cali market is so huge even though auto makers could follow the lower federal standards in other states they don't because producing vehicles at the two standards is more expensive than just following the higher one.

So basically people like Dribbles have left the EU but are still bitches to EU regulations. Unless they want to screw themselves out of a huge market. The UK has about 20 million more people than California but the EU has quite a bit more than the US as a whole does even with the UK leaving.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2020-12-30 at 05:53 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    they will not split production, just sell products elsewhere as "good enough for EU, so it's good enough for you"

EU (Future Relationship) Bill has passed in the Lords, now goes to the Palace for Royal Assent.

Edit - The Queen has signed the Act.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2020-12-31 at 12:38 AM.

We're never going to conquer the galaxy, if there's this much selfish, childish pushback against every peace project.

But what else can you expect from a government with MPs openly in favour of gulags?
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

7+ Year Old Account
    Happy Brexit day eurochums, from tomorrow no longer a colony of the eu, free, sovereign and living the brexit dream.

Hip hip hooraaaayyy...

13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Happy Brexit day eurochums, from tomorrow no longer a colony of the eu, free, sovereign and living the brexit dream.
    So tomorrow is like today only a little bit worse for the country?

Hip hip hooraaaayyy...
    Are you going to stop whining about how evil the EU is in 11 hours time, or will you find some more bullshit to peddle?

Also, umm... Brexit day was 1 February 2020. That was when the UK left the EU. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by rmfAcc View Post
    Come back soon.
    God no. Looking forward to an EU without the 'special needs' country.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-12-31 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Forbidden Topics - Nation bashing

Hip hip hooraaaayyy...

Bye.
    /10chars

Are you going to stop whining about how evil the EU is in 11 hours time
    Remainers will become the new target, probably.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Hip hip hooraaaayyy...
    So from now on, nothing is the fault of the EU. Everything is the fault of Brexit.

So basically your fault.

Are you ready to spend the next decade being treated by the rest of us the way that people like you have treated the EU for the past 30 years?

Somehow, I don't think you are.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

And yet another Brexiteer is jumping ship. This time it is the Father of the British Prime Minister. Applying for French Citizenship.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...ch-citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by Kotuthan View Post
    And yet another Brexiteer is jumping ship. This time it is the Father of the British Prime Minister. Applying for French Citizenship.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...ch-citizenship
    He voted and campaigned to remain. While he's left it a little late, it's hardly hypocritical for him to do so.