View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #27261
    The more that comes out about the deal the happier I am.

    Britain still has to abide by EU legislation protecting workers but can't actually vote or influence the EU parliament in any way.

    Since Britain is controlled by the Tory party this is the best possible outcome for British workers. I might well have voted for it had I known this would happen.

  2. #27262
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brexitia
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by farsas View Post
    The more that comes out about the deal the happier I am.

    Britain still has to abide by EU legislation protecting workers but can't actually vote or influence the EU parliament in any way.

    Since Britain is controlled by the Tory party this is the best possible outcome for British workers. I might well have voted for it had I known this would happen.
    Absolutely agree.

    Considering the UK has far higher standards than the EU for workers rights in most areas it's good that the level playing field will mean the EU has to raise its game to match ours. About time too.

    Brexit even has benefits for eurochums, no wonder everyone is in favour of it.

  3. #27263
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Absolutely agree.
    .
    No you don't Dribbles. I am saying the UK has less say now than it did when we were in the EU, which I think is a good thing but you definitely don't.

  4. #27264
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Absolutely agree.

    Considering the UK has far higher standards than the EU for workers rights in most areas it's good that the level playing field will mean the EU has to raise its game to match ours. About time too.

    Brexit even has benefits for eurochums, no wonder everyone is in favour of it.
    Are you serious lol?

    You’ll play by EU rules kid, be happy for it.

  5. #27265
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Absolutely agree.

    Considering the UK has far higher standards than the EU for workers rights in most areas it's good that the level playing field will mean the EU has to raise its game to match ours. About time too.
    Two wrongs does not make right.

    • The uk does not have higher standards for workers rights than the EU, in fact many of the uk worker rights are just implementations of EU law.
    • The level playing protects against parties lowering their standards compared to the end of the transition period (which afaik is December 31st 2020) (Part 2, Heading 1 Title XI Article 6.2§2) ; and to strive to improve them (-- Article 6.2§3) - there's nothing about matching the other parties existing standards.

  6. #27266
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brexitia
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Are you serious lol?

    You’ll play by EU rules kid, be happy for it.
    Of course I'm serious.

    UK statutory sick pay 28 weeks vs EU no worker protections.
    UK holiday pay 5 weeks vs EU 4 weeks
    UK maternity leave 52 weeks vs EU 14 weeks
    and so on and so on.

    We won't play by EU rules, in fact because of Brexit and the level playing field deal we now outside the EU have more chance of improving EU standards than when we were in it! How crazy is that?

    Anyhow I'm pleased to celebrate one thing today with you and your President Von der Leyen who tweeted in celebration how finally you are going to begin Covid vaccinations. Very very pleased for you and just glad once again the UK didn't have to follow EU rules in that regard. Seems in the replies to her tweet many eurochums agree with me, I just wish we had been able to raise EU standards in that regard too, I suppose Brexit does have its limitations.

    We won't be following many EU rules I promise you with 6 sleeps to go...


  7. #27267
    Oh boy here we go comparing the total amount of sick pay, holiday days, maternity leave, of the UK - with the minimum required in the EU, of which a lot of countries are way above the UK. Because it differs a lot among European countries, but it shouldn't be under the minimum set by the EU - shocking, I know.

    But of course facts don't matter to the likes of dribbles. BLUE PASSPORTS YEE
    Last edited by Chelly; 2020-12-26 at 06:10 PM.

  8. #27268
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Of course I'm serious.

    UK statutory sick pay 28 weeks vs EU no worker protections.
    UK holiday pay 5 weeks vs EU 4 weeks
    UK maternity leave 52 weeks vs EU 14 weeks
    and so on and so on.

    We won't play by EU rules, in fact because of Brexit and the level playing field deal we now outside the EU have more chance of improving EU standards than when we were in it! How crazy is that?

    Anyhow I'm pleased to celebrate one thing today with you and your President Von der Leyen who tweeted in celebration how finally you are going to begin Covid vaccinations. Very very pleased for you and just glad once again the UK didn't have to follow EU rules in that regard. Seems in the replies to her tweet many eurochums agree with me, I just wish we had been able to raise EU standards in that regard too, I suppose Brexit does have its limitations.

    We won't be following many EU rules I promise you with 6 sleeps to go...

    I think you misunderstood

    You’ll play by EU rules, not the other way around.

    And if you don’t (which you’ll do) the deal obviously will be irrelevant.

  9. #27269
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brexitia
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Oh boy here we go comparing the total amount of sick pay, holiday days, maternity leave, of the UK - with the minimum required in the EU, of which a lot of countries are way above the UK. Because it differs a lot among European countries, but it shouldn't be under the minimum set by the EU - shocking, I know.

    But of course facts don't matter to the likes of dribbles. BLUE PASSPORTS YEE
    The most basic fundamental workers right is the ability to work. With UK unemployment rates on average at half the rate across the EU they are the kind of facts that matter to me and the rest of Brexit Britain.

  10. #27270
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The most basic fundamental workers right is the ability to work. With UK unemployment rates on average at half the rate across the EU they are the kind of facts that matter to me and the rest of Brexit Britain.
    Except that has nothing to do with your initial garbage. Good job being the kind of politician everyone hates - including you Brexitchums.

  11. #27271
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Late Capitalism
    Posts
    52,128
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The most basic fundamental workers right is the ability to work. With UK unemployment rates on average at half the rate across the EU they are the kind of facts that matter to me and the rest of Brexit Britain.
    Oh look you couldn’t defend your point so you had to whip out a non sequitur. But do have fun getting dictated to by the EU until enough old folks pass away that young people start pushing for reintegration. I give it a decade or two tops. Hahaha.

    Y’all are leaving the EU with even less sovereignty you had prior. Not even the Lib Dems would have been so pro EU as to demand Britain follow its rules without any sayso in their writing.

    Might as well have Remained. Oops.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-12-26 at 06:27 PM.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  12. #27272
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Except that has nothing to do with your initial garbage. Good job being the kind of politician everyone hates - including you Brexitchums.
    Oh it’s goalpost move after goalpost move after goalpost move with Dribbles.

    At some point he’ll realise, that when the EU changes regulations for goods, the UK will have to follow, and have 0 influence in the changes.

    So much for “taking back control”

  13. #27273
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,788
    Don't worry dribbles, the EU has good standards and cares for its subjects even if your own government no longer does
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

  14. #27274
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Late Capitalism
    Posts
    52,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Don't worry dribbles, the EU has good standards and cares for its subjects even if your own government no longer does
    Literally. At least the EU would be arranging regular garbage pickups and not deliberately starving kids to save a buck, unlike the English government.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  15. #27275
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Oh it’s goalpost move after goalpost move after goalpost move with Dribbles.

    At some point he’ll realise, that when the EU changes regulations for goods, the UK will have to follow, and have 0 influence in the changes.

    So much for “taking back control”
    Yes, but they'll have the choice to say NO! that's what matters to them.

    Disclaimer: they already had that choice but their politicians didn't properly represented them in the EU, people like farrage are know for this. So in the future they can have as voter just as much influence as their politicians can no longer even represent their interest for them even if they wanted to. So in essence all they really did was reduce the work load of politicians, what they can now undoubtedly dedicate to take away even more rights and services of the citizens of great britania.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

  16. #27276
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Oh it’s goalpost move after goalpost move after goalpost move with Dribbles.

    At some point he’ll realise, that when the EU changes regulations for goods, the UK will have to follow, and have 0 influence in the changes.

    So much for “taking back control”
    There is no obligation for either party - the UK or EU - to follow the other's regulations.

  17. #27277
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    There is no obligation for either party - the UK or EU - to follow the other's regulations.
    No it’ll just close down access to the single market.

  18. #27278
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    No it’ll just close down access to the single market.
    What are you talking about?

    The UK and EU have agreed that they will protect fair competition - neither has to follow to the other's rules - and if either party is judged to have breached this then tariffs can be applied.

  19. #27279
    UK goods sold in the EU have to follow EU regulations, it’s not a complex concept.

  20. #27280
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Of course I'm serious.

    UK statutory sick pay 28 weeks vs EU no worker protections.
    Misleading and inaccurate. Reading from a report from December 2016 called "Sick pay and sickness benefit schemes in the European Union" by S. Spasova, D. Bouget, B. Vanhercke.

    Sick pay in most countries in the EU (although it depends on the state, which employment) vary between 40 and 100% of salary. The uk and Malta had a flat rate, corresponding to about 20%. The statement about the uk bears repeating:
    In the UK, SSP and the ESA came to replace previous sickness and disability benefits,
    with the aim of reducing the number of beneficiaries. As discussed in Section 1.2, the
    income replacement level of the SSP benefits is around 20%. These benefits have been
    assessed as inadequate by UK social and rights workers, who point out that ‘many people
    are faced with financial hardships and debt which can be debilitating when trying to live
    on a level of benefits which are clearly inadequate’ (UK Welfare Rights Worker cited in
    Etherington and Inogold 2012).
    Yah! 20% of income, not 40-100% as in most EU-countries! Inadequate is good right?!

    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    UK holiday pay 5 weeks vs EU 4 weeks
    Source - or are comparing apples to oranges?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workin...gulations_1998 states that the uk has the minimum required by EU: 28 days (several EU states have more).

    It's just that originally the uk employers (you know the ones that you claim are so good for workers) interpreted 4 weeks as 4x5 days; and thus it was "extended" to reach the minimum in the EU.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    UK goods sold in the EU have to follow EU regulations, it’s not a complex concept.
    True, and in addition to that they agreed to have similar level of worker benefits etc; to provide a level playing field.

    Not the same benefits - just not lowering them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •