View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #29421
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    5,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    To Ireland? I thought this happened back in January in the Netherlands.
    I think the current one is about someone who may or may not have been trying to get to northern ireland..

    Wether it is true or not is another question entirely

  2. #29422
    The Lightbringer dribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Sunny Uplands
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    https://www.ft.com/content/3dad4ef3-...3-f629a5b7d0aa
    I donno, feels like losing 40% of financial trade overnight was kind of what people were saying would happen.
    (and yes, London has trended up a little since this and now barely edged out Amsterdam by the thinnest of margins. That doesn't change the expected flight of trade happening as predicted)
    Can't seem to see Amsterdam mentioned at all here, In fact doesn't seem much of note from anywhere in the EU.

    Leading financial centers globally as of March 2021

    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...centres-index/

    Go on help a brexiteer out, what have I missed?

  3. #29423
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    14,085
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Can't seem to see Amsterdam mentioned at all here, In fact doesn't seem much of note from anywhere in the EU.

    Leading financial centers globally as of March 2021

    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...centres-index/

    Go on help a brexiteer out, what have I missed?
    That study was done during 2020.. A time before Amsterdam surged ahead by about 7 billion euro's worth, or London dropped about 6 billion

    I understand that reading can be hard, but you asking for help shows growth and a willingness to learn. Either that or it's a thinly veiled attack and you're using outdated information to do so

  4. #29424
    The Lightbringer dribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Sunny Uplands
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That study was done during 2020.. A time before Amsterdam surged ahead by about 7 billion euro's worth, or London dropped about 6 billion

    I understand that reading can be hard, but you asking for help shows growth and a willingness to learn. Either that or it's a thinly veiled attack and you're using outdated information to do so
    So are you saying Amsterdam has leapfrogged Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, Shenzen, Frankfurt, Zurich, Vancouver, San Francisco etc etc etc to take second place to New York as a global financial centre all because of Brexit?

    Of course I'm willing to learn and grow and wowzer if I'm wrong what a win for you eurochums.

    I found Amsterdam btw, it was ranked no 28 in the world.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global..._Centres_Index

    When do you think wikipedia will be updated? Thanks for your help...

  5. #29425
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    So are you saying Amsterdam has leapfrogged Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, Shenzen, Frankfurt, Zurich, Vancouver, San Francisco etc etc etc to take second place to New York as a global financial centre all because of Brexit?
    No, Londen just dropped all the way down the list because of Brexit. And Amsterdam climbed a few spots.

  6. #29426
    Quote Originally Posted by lbuttnos View Post
    If you are trying to say "Brexit bad" though, well this isn't a valid point at all is it.
    Before Brexit: Londen Trading Volume: 38 billion - Amsterdam: 24 billion.
    After Brexit: Londen Trading Volum: 30 billion - Amsterdam: 30 billion.

    I hope that is clear enough?

  7. #29427
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    14,085
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    So are you saying Amsterdam has leapfrogged Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, Shenzen, Frankfurt, Zurich, Vancouver, San Francisco etc etc etc to take second place to New York as a global financial centre all because of Brexit?
    No, but it certainly rose a few spots because of it.

    Of course I'm willing to learn and grow and wowzer if I'm wrong what a win for you eurochums.
    Sure doesn't seem like it, what with you ignoring a bunch of posts disproving your points

    I found Amsterdam btw, it was ranked no 28 in the world.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global..._Centres_Index
    Based on a variety of factors, and not entirely on throughput of money. You will also notice that London, in that very post, dropped 23 points, while the two nearest to it only dropped 6 points.

    When do you think wikipedia will be updated?
    It appears up to date based on their own criteria, which is different from how the Financial Times based theirs.
    Thanks for your help...
    You're welcome


    Quote Originally Posted by lbuttnos View Post
    So what you're saying is the trading blip London had while it pulled out the EU was short term.

    And you are surprised at that?

    London moved back to largest trading hub in all of EU shortly after.

    Sooooo........ what point are you trying to make?

    That political change affects the economy?

    Yes sure it does.

    If you are trying to say "Brexit bad" though, well this isn't a valid point at all is it.
    It is, considering London dropped 6 billion euro a day of throughput according to the FT piece, which is like 2/5ths of its throughput. That's a very, VERY significant number.

    Will it go up again? Probably. Will it go up as high as it was? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know. But what we do know is that it dropped 40% of it's volume in a matter of weeks or months. If that's not a fucking catastrophe, then I don't know what is.

  8. #29428

  9. #29429
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    14,085
    Quote Originally Posted by lbuttnos View Post
    Not clear at all.

    Source or evidence needed please.
    https://www.ft.com/content/3dad4ef3-...3-f629a5b7d0aa
    Here you go, I realize that last page (or the third post on this page, in a quote) is a bit far to go digging, so I did it for you.

  10. #29430
    Quote Originally Posted by lbuttnos View Post
    One link states and shows London is the largest trading hub in Europe.

    The other shows it's second largest in the world after New York.

    I'm not quite sure how this is a bad thing for UK citizens.

    Please elaborate because I'm scratching my head here.
    One shows the situation before Brexit, the other after Brexit.

    London used to be 14 billion ahead on Amsterdam, now they break even at 30 billion. That is bad for London and very good for Amsterdam. It also shows the 2-3 billion Frankfurt gained since Brexit.

    I'm not even sure if economy should be what you should be arguing about now anyhow. That might be a losing battle. GDP is hardly a concern when your food supply is threatening to collapse.. and Boris wants to renegotiate Brexit (because even he is currently seeing things go bad on the horizon).
    Last edited by Rochana Violence; 2021-07-25 at 07:32 PM.

  11. #29431
    The Lightbringer dribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Sunny Uplands
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    No, Londen just dropped all the way down the list because of Brexit. And Amsterdam climbed a few spots.
    So where do you think London vs Amsterdam will appear on this list when the next 6 monthly report is published in a few weeks? September it comes out I believe.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global..._Centres_Index

    How far down has London fallen and how high will Amsterdam be? Not long to find out, do you think it can topple New York from top spot all because of Brexit?

    Meanwhile back in Northern Ireland and the poor chaps sandwich is put into some context....

    EU makes itself world laughing stock over claims N.I. goods threaten “integrity of Single Market”

    https://facts4eu.org/news/2021_jul_eu_laughing_stock#


  12. #29432
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,921
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    So where do you think London vs Amsterdam will appear on this list when the next 6 monthly report is published in a few weeks? September it comes out I believe.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global..._Centres_Index

    How far down has London fallen and how high will Amsterdam be? Not long to find out, do you think it can topple New York from top spot all because of Brexit?

    Meanwhile back in Northern Ireland and the poor chaps sandwich is put into some context....

    EU makes itself world laughing stock over claims N.I. goods threaten “integrity of Single Market”

    https://facts4eu.org/news/2021_jul_eu_laughing_stock#

    [IMG]https://facts4eu.org/static/media/ni_lorry.jpg[IMG]
    What you miss is that -any- goods that aren't to par threaten. And any "holes" open where someone subverts rules open up for -everyone- to subvert rules based on WTO. Because if the rule subversion becomes the standard, it will be seen as the standard, and become the "lowest" entry and thus apply to all.

    You know the thing with WTO trading you were saying was gonna be so great for England.
    - Lars

  13. #29433
    It is indeed funny/sad how when the EU tries to protect it's sovereignty it gets blasted by some people. Though I suppose it was expected as well, self-reflection and taking responsibility for your own actions seem to be a quality some of these people lack.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

  14. #29434
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    So where do you think London vs Amsterdam will appear on this list when the next 6 monthly report is published in a few weeks? September it comes out I believe.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global..._Centres_Index

    How far down has London fallen and how high will Amsterdam be? Not long to find out, do you think it can topple New York from top spot all because of Brexit?

    Meanwhile back in Northern Ireland and the poor chaps sandwich is put into some context....

    EU makes itself world laughing stock over claims N.I. goods threaten “integrity of Single Market”

    https://facts4eu.org/news/2021_jul_eu_laughing_stock#

    I'm sure you wouldnt have liked Turkey exporting into the EU, without any checks while the UK was a member. This is not any different.

    It does threaten the integrity, if it's not upheld, it doesnt matter if it's a sandwich or 30 trucks. You're the ones who left, stop whining now that it has consequences, it's pathetic.

    And no one cares what some brexiteer nut cases write on a website, it's fucking ironic that it's called "Facts" yet they're posting opinions.

  15. #29435
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The heading should read:

    Tiny car tried to play chicken with big trucks.
    Big trucks didn't notice.

    There are single market rules in EU, they will be upheld - and the EU don't change them for 0.2% just because a non-member throws a tantrum.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You know, I don't know why, but it bugs me that you refuse to capitalise "UK", and "England" in this case, whenever you mention them. Especially given that you generally always have good sentence structure and grammar lol UK always seems to get missed. Kinda curious why.
    Deliberately associating the country with the brexit-supporters - you might have noticed that their names don't use proper capitalization either.

  16. #29436
    The Lightbringer dribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Sunny Uplands
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The heading should read:

    Tiny car tried to play chicken with big trucks.
    Big trucks didn't notice.

    There are single market rules in EU, they will be upheld - and the EU don't change them for 0.2% just because a non-member throws a tantrum.


    Deliberately associating the country with the brexit-supporters - you might have noticed that their names don't use proper capitalization either.
    Not quite.

    UK demands last week from the EU a standstill period and today what do we have? EU pauses legal action against UK over NI Protocol.

    https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/...r-ni-protocol/

    EU as expected caved.

  17. #29437
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Not quite.

    UK demands last week from the EU a standstill period and today what do we have? EU pauses legal action against UK over NI Protocol.

    https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/...r-ni-protocol/

    EU as expected caved.
    After the UK promised to not do anything unilaterally, so you didn't get it for free.

  18. #29438
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Not quite.

    UK demands last week from the EU a standstill period and today what do we have? EU pauses legal action against UK over NI Protocol.

    https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/...r-ni-protocol/

    EU as expected caved.
    As always your point is defeated by your own article
    The goodwill gesture by the commission is in response to the Command Paper presented last week to the British Parliament by David Frost, the UK minster in charge of relations with the EU.

    It called for a "standstill period", during which the EU would not proceed with its legal actions against the UK, and the UK would not make any more unilateral moves to disapply parts of the protocol.

    During this period, the two sides would seek a new way forward on the operation of the protocol.
    So the EU has stopped legal action against the UK over unilateral action in violation of the WA because the UK has stopped with their threats of unilateral action and instead offered something to negotiate over.

    Nor has the EU 'caved' because
    The EU says it "confirms its readiness" to continue to engage with the UK, and consider any proposals that respect the principles of the protocol.
    So the WA and the Irish Border protocol that is part of it must still be respected in any proposal the EU considers.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  19. #29439
    Scarab Lord Zaydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    4,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    As always your point is defeated by your own article
    So the EU has stopped legal action against the UK over unilateral action in violation of the WA because the UK has stopped with their threats of unilateral action and instead offered something to negotiate over.

    Nor has the EU 'caved' because So the WA and the Irish Border protocol that is part of it must still be respected in any proposal the EU considers.
    Why do you waste your time? Dribbles will never, ever admit he is wrong about anything. He's too deep into a Sunk Cost fallacy with his devotion to Brexit to admit it's a massive clusterfuck.
    Last edited by Zaydin; 2021-07-28 at 12:17 AM.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

  20. #29440
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Why do you waste your time? Dribbles will never, ever admit he is wrong about anything. He's too deep into a Lost Cause fallacy with his devotion to Brexit to admit it's a massive clusterfuck.
    I don't post them for Dribbles. I post them for other people who don't know what is going on and come here to see him stating lies.

    Stupid people manage to convince others of their lies when there is no one around to provide a counter voice.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •