View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not gonna comment too much on the contents of the article (I don't know enough about the UK, or CPTPP to comment), but in the second paragraph they refer to her as "Mr Truss" while consistently referring to her as "her". Just thought I'd point that out as it shows how much they really care about the details when they make an article.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Its pretty much just her getting behind Boris Johnson to shore up support for him a bit, because he's just facing issue after issue and is looking at possible revolt from his own party.
    No it isn't. It's her trying to position herself for a run at the leadership when Boris gets the boot. I've been saying that he wouldn't be in charge at the end of next year, but it's looking increasingly unlikely he'll make it to the end of this one.

You'll start to see a lot of this kind of posturing in the coming days and weeks. The pack senses blood, and they want to be well placed when the killing blow lands.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    No it isn't. It's her trying to position herself for a run at the leadership when Boris gets the boot. I've been saying that he wouldn't be in charge at the end of next year, but it's looking increasingly unlikely he'll make it to the end of this one.

You'll start to see a lot of this kind of posturing in the coming days and weeks. The pack senses blood, and they want to be well placed when the killing blow lands.
    British politics are always entertaining, until you realize this is real life and the ones in charge play their own little schemes, while the nation is pretty much set on fire.

As long they and their friends are making money, everything is fine.
    Which is a fundamental problem in politics all around the globe, unfortunately.

7+ Year Old Account
    A fair point.

I've seen two camps recently, though. One is the people you mention above, those basically just trying to set themselves up for future positions (whether they take a run at leadership or not). And the other is people that genuinely say "We should get behind this PM, we want the country to do well, right?" Just a matter of figuring out which person is taking which position lol But I can definitely see her being one of the folks trying to better position themselves, now that you mention it.

As long they and their friends are making money, everything is fine.
    If Liz Truss is just pre-positioning for a chance at the Tory leadership it speaks volumes that any hint of being an EU quisling effectively terminates any chance at the top job. Wanna know why?

The British public would never accept another EU stooge in 10 Downing St, the more Brexity they appear to be, the better their chances with the electorate.

I hope Sir Keir understands that. How long until he gets off the fence and turns Brexiteer? Not long I'd wager.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    If Liz Truss is just pre-positioning for a chance at the Tory leadership it speaks volumes that any hint of being an EU quisling effectively terminates any chance at the top job. Wanna know why?

The British public would never accept another EU stooge in 10 Downing St, the more Brexity they appear to be, the better their chances with the electorate.

I hope Sir Keir understands that. How long until he gets off the fence and turns Brexiteer? Not long I'd wager.
    Let me sum up the average brexiteer politician

"Oy Robert, Evelyn wanna make some quick bucks? All you have to do is spit on the best interest of your nation, for flimsy racist and anti continental slogans."

I'll answer this one for you; because the tiny number of members of the Tory party that get to elect the party leader are, as a group, old, white and racist. Getting put forward by some of your fellow MPs is the easy part. Nobody is getting the votes of that dusty old group of ass-hats unless they strap on their Union Jack underwear and throw out a couple of insults in the direction of those foreign types.

That's it. It's not complicated. They'll put themselves forward as being pro-UK, anti-EU. Whatever it takes to get the top job. What they do after that point is a very different question, of course. Because that same group of dusty of racists that get to elect a leader have ZERO say in how long they stay in the job. Which means Truss could suddenly become very pro-EU immediately after coming to power. Especially if that's seen to solve a number of pressing issues (like trade, immigration) at the same time.

So be careful what you wish for. You might end up with a Tory leader pushing for a BINO just as much as the Labour leader is. Then where would your precious Brexit be?

All very amusing, from where I'm sitting.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'll answer this one for you; because the tiny number of members of the Tory party that get to elect the party leader are, as a group, old, white and racist. Getting put forward by some of your fellow MPs is the easy part. Nobody is getting the votes of that dusty old group of ass-hats unless they strap on their Union Jack underwear and throw out a couple of insults in the direction of those foreign types.

That's it. It's not complicated. They'll put themselves forward as being pro-UK, anti-EU. Whatever it takes to get the top job. What they do after that point is a very different question, of course. Because that same group of dusty of racists that get to elect a leader have ZERO say in how long they stay in the job. Which means Truss could suddenly become very pro-EU immediately after coming to power. Especially if that's seen to solve a number of pressing issues (like trade, immigration) at the same time.

So be careful what you wish for. You might end up with a Tory leader pushing for a BINO just as much as the Labour leader is. Then where would your precious Brexit be?

All very amusing, from where I'm sitting.
    Good job our Liz is not the favourite then, I'm on team Rishi myself who is.

https://www.rishisunak.com/news/why-...ain-leave-eu-0

No doubting his position on Brexit. Not so amused now are we? Good job you are sitting down I say...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Good job our Liz is not the favourite then, I'm on team Rishi myself who is.

https://www.rishisunak.com/news/why-...ain-leave-eu-0

No doubting his position on Brexit. Not so amused now are we? Good job you are sitting down I say...
    “Politicians who dug a hole for themselves claim the hole is a palace. More news at 11.”

Did dribbles ever actually spell out the good things from Brexit? I haven't kept the closest eye on this issue, but I'm still under the impression that Brexit mostly harmed the UK without many, if any, true benefits.

A little late, and sorry if it's been mentioned or asked in this massive thread. But was all the doomsaying about what would happen if Brexit was a "yes" and actually happens all blown out of proportion? I'm asking because now that it's been a thing happening for quite a bit now, former remainers are now pro-Brexit after seeing that the exit isn't as bad as the Doomsayers said it would be?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armael View Post
    A little late, and sorry if it's been mentioned or asked in this massive thread. But was all the doomsaying about what would happen if Brexit was a "yes" and actually happens all blown out of proportion? I'm asking because now that it's been a thing happening for quite a bit now, former remainers are now pro-Brexit after seeing that the exit isn't as bad as the Doomsayers said it would be?
    Considering the "doomsayers" predicted stuff under the presumption that the UK would actually leave within a reasonable time not 3 years later no, they weren't wrong because the Brexit that was "promised" never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I thought people on either side knew that a "hard" Brexit wouldn't be possible, because of many aspects of the EU membership would still have happened until 2022 or 2023 in any case.

Maybe this partially answers the loaded question you asked:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-checks-survey

We still haven't properly left yet. When we move out of yet another transitional process, this time relating to imports, they'll be further problems because many firms still aren't ready for the "full" impact of Brexit, even after all this time.

I'm not even convinced that the infrastructure and staff are in place ready for this. So we could see all manner of fun and games occuring to our imports come the New Year. Still, at least we don't have to import anything important like food, eh?

Oh, wait.

In the meantime, I believe someone linked to no less than 420 negative impacts that Brexit has had on the country. Not as bad as it would have been if we'd left with no deal at all, but still pretty impressive considering (as I said) that we haven't finished leaving yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Did dribbles ever actually spell out the good things from Brexit? I haven't kept the closest eye on this issue, but I'm still under the impression that Brexit mostly harmed the UK without many, if any, true benefits.
    Nope. Dribbles is still silent on the apparently long list of benefits. Except for his shouts of "SQUIRREL!" when he tries to distract people from the fact he hasn't provided one yet, much less the thousands he says he can see through his rose coloured spectacles.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought people on either side knew that a "hard" Brexit wouldn't be possible, because of many aspects of the EU membership would still have happened until 2022 or 2023 in any case.
    And the predictions that most people latched onto were all done under the assumption that it'd be a hard brexit. It's unlikely, but it's better to model the worst case, so you can prepare for that, then you won't be screwed if you get a better outcome, rather than if you model the expected, and the worst case happens.

The watchdog set up to ensure the rights of EU nationals in the UK after Brexit has decided it needs to sue the Home Office. On the grounds that it's breaching their basic rights.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...of-eu-citizens

Brexiteers can't do anything, it seems, without breaking laws, rules or guidelines. In this case, probably all three. Dribbles will probably call this a Brexit benefit, since it shows we treat Johnny Foreigner harshly. Although probably not harshly enough for his taste.

This is what happens when you put people in charge when their only ability is to stand on the sidelines and shout "no, not like that, you're doing it wrong". As with all of those backseat drivers, they don't actually have a clue how to do anything themselves. They're only really good for pointing out other people's faults.

Brexit. Presented to us by idiots, delivered by idiots. Is it any surprise it's in the mess it is?

The watchdog set up to ensure the rights of EU nationals in the UK after Brexit has decided it needs to sue the Home Office. On the grounds that it's breaching their basic rights.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...of-eu-citizens
    From the article:

those who have been in the country fewer than five years get pre-settled and must apply again for settled status.
    But if they do not apply before their pre-settled status expires, they automatically lose their rights

I don't really understand the law suit. If UK law says "to keep the thing you have to apply for the thing" and people forget to apply isn't only logical that they lose the thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    From the article:

those who have been in the country fewer than five years get pre-settled and must apply again for settled status.
    But if they do not apply before their pre-settled status expires, they automatically lose their rights

I don't really understand the law suit. If UK law says "to keep the thing you have to apply for the thing" and people forget to apply isn't only logical that they lose the thing?
    You think it's fair to establish a principle that they can take rights away from you if you don't do something? You're talking about being able to deport someone. If you want to see how that can pan out, you have to go all the way back to the depths of 2018. Google "windrush". You might learn something.

- - - Updated - - -

And to continue the theme of "look how well Brexit is going!"

https://www.theguardian.com/business...g-from-ireland

The Brexit plan to take back control of our borders is going to be delayed....again. The checks on goods coming into the UK from Ireland, that were due to come into force on January 1st, are being delayed. Frost says this is a "sign of good faith" as the UK continues to beg...ahem...I'm sorry, "negotiate" with the EU over the Northern Ireland Protocol. It's more likely to be down to several other factors namely a) a large number of firms aren't ready for them yet b) the infrastructure and staff to carry them out aren't ready yet and c) Frost doesn't really know what he's doing.

To borrow one of the Trumpian phrases, that I'm sure the Brexiteers are supporters of; are you tired of winning yet?

7+ Year Old Account
    Brexit "has been a triumph for this nation in reasserting its freedom, NHS has had the £350 million, superb vaccine roll out" and above all "the happy fish" and that's not me saying it.

If only this man was in the running to be PM, perhaps he could be...

Brexit "has been a triumph for this nation in reasserting its freedom, NHS has had the £350 million, superb vaccine roll out" and above all "the happy fish" and that's not me saying it.

If only this man was in the running to be PM, perhaps he could be...
    "Weetabix is the most nutritious, most delicious, most sustainable product on the market. And it gives you a bigger tallywhacker." - Sally Abbott, probably.

Well clearly she, the CEO of The Weetabix Food Company, would have no reason to make such a positive proclamation about a product her company sells. We just HAVE to believe her, she must be telling the truth and to doubt her would be rude and unpatriotic.

Does Rees-Mogg spend most of his time trying to talk to fish? Because I feel that would be a better use of his time than whatever he's doing now.

Man, this is like...legitimately pathetic.