View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    The competent people know they can't succeed in the negotiations, so they don't want the job. Its political suicide.
    So your left with the incompetent people whos only job is to fail, as anyone else would, and not be missed when they become 'damaged goods'.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    And then

I mean, it'll just be so embarrassing for the UK to be represented (even more) by her.
    that smile, that weird ass 5 sec smile after telling a bunch of people that she's going abroad to sell pork

well done liz
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    that smile, that weird ass 5 sec smile after telling a bunch of people that she's going abroad to sell pork

well done liz
    Somebody needs to replace the reluctant applause with any giggle from Nick Offerman.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not a bad appointment, it really was too much to hope for me that Farage were made a Lord and made the UK representative to the EU. Still plenty of time for that in the future...

The thing the EU need to take away from this appointment is how far down they have been relegated in terms of importance to the UK. Lord Frost headed his own UK government specific Brexit/EU department, for Liz Truss as Foreign Secretary, the EU are just a small minor and pretty insignificant component of her world encompassing global brief.

If the EU want to chat with her the UK response quite feasibly could be, "sorry we are a bit busy this week talking to Zimbabwe" (for example), you are at the back of the queue but can come back next week.

And of course I'm sure the will we won't we trigger article 16 shenanigans can and will continue, to placate Boris's back benchers and of course never giving the EU the security of position they require from the UK.

All very entertaining, and re-joining the EU is as far away today as it was last week. Happy days here in the sunlit Brexit uplands.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Not a bad appointment, it really was too much to hope for me that Farage were made a Lord and made the UK representative to the EU. Still plenty of time for that in the future...

The thing the EU need to take away from this appointment is how far down they have been relegated in terms of importance to the UK. Lord Frost headed his own UK government specific Brexit/EU department, for Liz Truss as Foreign Secretary, the EU are just a small minor and pretty insignificant component of her world encompassing global brief.

If the EU want to chat with her the UK response quite feasibly could be, "sorry we are a bit busy this week talking to Zimbabwe" (for example), you are at the back of the queue but can come back next week.

And of course I'm sure the will we won't we trigger article 16 shenanigans can and will continue, to placate Boris's back benchers and of course never giving the EU the security of position they require from the UK.

All very entertaining, and re-joining the EU is as far away today as it was last week. Happy days here in the sunlit Brexit uplands.
    The fact that you think any reasonable person would ignore the EU in favour of anyone (other than maybe the US or China) is insane. Especially a country like the UK that is very, very directly linked to the EU.

Unless of course you're admitting that Brexiteers aren't reasonable people, which I would agree with.

How else can Brexit not being accomplished be taken as Brexit is accomplished already. My head hurts reading that. It must be truly bliss to live being that ignorant of what's actually going on.

EU response: Cool cool. We just wanted to let you know that we're imposing a new set of checks at Calais and closing a couple of lanes for Christmas. Hope you're all stocked up on baked beans, spam and firewood for the holidays. Off to ski in the Alps. We'll be back sometimes mid January. Have fun.

You still haven't looked at an atlas have you?
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-12-20 at 06:30 PM.

Except for the part where Zimbabwe (for example) doesn't want to sign a deal with the UK while the UK is unwilling and unable to implement the deal they already made with the EU.

You know, like they did when Boris first threw up the idea to just ignore the Withdraw Agreement.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Only Dribbles would think "we have the third biggest economy on the planet 25 miles off the coast of Dover, so let's make a trade deal with a country that 1. has nothing we would want to buy, 2. has no money to buy what we would want to sell and 3. is the other side of the planet" was a rational thing to think.

7+ Year Old Account
    We promised unicorns, the beautifulness of Brexit delivered them:- UK draws record investment...

This increase in $1bn companies brings the total number of unicorns in the UK to 116. This compares with 31 in France and 56 in Germany, according to the DEC.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ord-investment

Well done Liz, keep it up!

Britain is free and our exciting future lies far beyond Europe. by Liz Truss
    https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...e-by-liz-truss

Just a taster of the future global Brexit benefits to come...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

We promised unicorns, the beautifulness of Brexit delivered them:- UK draws record investment...

This increase in $1bn companies brings the total number of unicorns in the UK to 116. This compares with 31 in France and 56 in Germany, according to the DEC.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ord-investment

Well done Liz, keep it up!

Britain is free and our exciting future lies far beyond Europe. by Liz Truss
    https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...e-by-liz-truss

Just a taster of the future global Brexit benefits to come...
    On the other hand....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...eport-predicts

44% of Finance companies are either moving or considering moving staff to the EU, as the EU clamps down on "brass plate" access to EU financial markets where companies pretend to have offices on the mainland without any staff being there. Except this exodus of companies is directly related to Brexit, where your story is just about a trend that started when the UK was still in the EU continuing after we've left:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-unicorns.html

So the best you can say is that this is something that hasn't been impacted by Brexit. At least not yet. It certainly isn't a Brexit "benefit".

So, another one to add to your extensive list of failures. Which leaves your list of "thousands" of Brexit benefits still sitting at [checks notes] zero. Yup, still zero.

Care to try again?

[Edit] Since I realise you don't read the articles (even the ones you post yourself) I thought I'd better highlight the diagram that proves that it's nothing to do with Brexit:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...2af2545c2db123
    Last edited by Huehuecoyotl; 2021-12-21 at 03:17 PM.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    On the other hand....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...eport-predicts

44% of Finance companies are either moving or considering moving staff to the EU, as the EU clamps down on "brass plate" access to EU financial markets where companies pretend to have offices on the mainland without any staff being there. Except this exodus of companies is directly related to Brexit, where your story is just about a trend that started when the UK was still in the EU continuing after we've left:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-unicorns.html

So the best you can say is that this is something that hasn't been impacted by Brexit. At least not yet. It certainly isn't a Brexit "benefit".

So, another one to add to your extensive list of failures. Which leaves your list of "thousands" of Brexit benefits still sitting at [checks notes] zero. Yup, still zero.

Care to try again?

[Edit] Since I realise you don't read the articles (even the ones you post yourself) I thought I'd better highlight the diagram that proves that it's nothing to do with Brexit:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...2af2545c2db123
    What you doing posting historic links with info from 2020 for Huey, and from the financial arm of the Daily Mail no less, you a secret reader? I'm giving you bang up to date figures regarding 2021 performance and real Brexit benefits in my Guardian link. Inward investment to the UK by venture capitalists who recognise how attractive Brexit Britain is has doubled in the last 12 months.

It's almost as though every time the UK threatens to trigger Article 16 another unicorn is born in Brexit Britain. No suprises then that on our Liz's first day in the job, no messing about, she threatens to do it again!

Liz Truss gets tough! Brexit chief immediately hits back at EU – Article 16 threat issued.

"We remain prepared to trigger Article 16 safeguards to deal with the very real problems faced in Northern Ireland and to protect the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement in all its dimensions."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...rthern-Ireland

Wonderful, you go girl :P

Liz Truss gets tough! Brexit chief immediately hits back at EU – Article 16 threat issued.

"We remain prepared to trigger Article 16 safeguards to deal with the very real problems faced in Northern Ireland and to protect the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement in all its dimensions."

You do know what "triggering Article 16" does, don't you? It doesn't immediately do anything other than starting a conversation about the future of the NI/GFA integration in both the UK and EU common markets. It doesn't suspend or cancel any agreements made between the UK and EU and it doesn't trigger an immediate hard brexit.

And I could link you to a story in that same paper from about 3 months ago saying exactly the same thing; just with Lord Frost as the name instead. And yet here we are, all this time later, with Article 16 still mysteriously untriggered.

It was a bluff then, and it's still a bluff now. And a fucking transparent one at that.

Here's one of the articles, with Frost threatening to trigger Article 16 back at the beginning of October:

https://www.euronews.com/2021/10/12/...eland-protocol

We'll still be having this conversation in 6 months time. The EU isn't going to budge, and the UK has no leverage in this. We have a border in the Irish Sea, or we have a border in Ireland. There is no third option, and the second option breaks the GFA. This was the ONLY solution that fitted the UK red lines for Brexit.

Actually, I take that back. We could get rid of the border in the Irish Sea if we sign up for a Norwegian style deal with the EU. We're heading in that direction anyway, with the damage that Brexit is doing and the way the support for it is hemorrhaging. Why not speed things up a bit and solve the NI issue at the same time? Sounds like a win-win to me.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Until the day either side actually pulls the trigger on invoking article 16, any statements about ”remaining prepared to” is just empty bluster only dimwits fall for.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no third option
    Actually there is..

The UK can comply with EU rules making a "border" not necessary

How viable it is is another matter but it is.. an option

We have a border in the Irish Sea, or we have a border in Ireland.
    What % of leave voters do you reckon was aware of this when they voted to take back control of their borders? Or even spent a single thought about Ireland at all when making the decision of how to vote...

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    What % of leave voters do you reckon was aware of this when they voted to take back control of their borders? Or even spent a single thought about Ireland at all when making the decision of how to vote...
    I reckon that percentage is about the same number as dribbles Brexit benefit list; zero.

But here's the thing when you're talking about Brexit and the vote, at least when you're talking to Brexiteers; if you say that the Leave campaign didn't mention it, they'll point out that the Remain camp did. So it was mentioned in the debate, so people would have been aware of it. They'll skate straight past the fact that Leave said that everything the Remain campaign mentioned was "Project Fear" and could be safely ignored.

As it turns out, a lot of "Project Fear" was actually "Project We Fucking Warned You". The worst parts haven't happened, because we didn't leave with no-deal. But large parts of the rest have proven to be sadly accurate. But it's not surprise; Leave had no coherent idea of how to leave, or what they wanted the post-Brexit landscape to look like. They cherry-picked things that they absolutely could NOT have in combinations, and said how we'd get our cake and eat it, because the EU "need us more than we need them". That looks fucking hilarious in hindsight, but that's the level of lies and nonsense they sold to a largely unsuspecting public.

And everything has just gone downhill from there. And now most people realise what a pile of shit Brexit is, apart from dribbles who continues to deny reality and make up lies to try and "prove" that it's actually going great. Maybe we just need to all get on whatever medication he's taking, because if he believes the stuff he's posting that might be a more relaxing way to face the next few years.

7+ Year Old Account
    And I could link you to a story in that same paper from about 3 months ago saying exactly the same thing; just with Lord Frost as the name instead. And yet here we are, all this time later, with Article 16 still mysteriously untriggered.

It was a bluff then, and it's still a bluff now. And a fucking transparent one at that.

Here's one of the articles, with Frost threatening to trigger Article 16 back at the beginning of October:

https://www.euronews.com/2021/10/12/...eland-protocol

We'll still be having this conversation in 6 months time. The EU isn't going to budge, and the UK has no leverage in this. We have a border in the Irish Sea, or we have a border in Ireland. There is no third option, and the second option breaks the GFA. This was the ONLY solution that fitted the UK red lines for Brexit.

Actually, I take that back. We could get rid of the border in the Irish Sea if we sign up for a Norwegian style deal with the EU. We're heading in that direction anyway, with the damage that Brexit is doing and the way the support for it is hemorrhaging. Why not speed things up a bit and solve the NI issue at the same time? Sounds like a win-win to me.
    As our Liz said today the UK isn't going to budge, and the EU have no leverage in this. They can hardly punish the UK anymore as they do to Poland or Hungary and threaten to withhold payments.

Also there are more than 2 options. The EU border with NI is an EU problem not a UK one, they need to find a solution to their problem as it's of their making. Didn't they think of this scenario on the accession of Ireland into the EU? Did they not know about the CTA? Did they really have no plan, Britain has been itching to leave the EU for decades, they can hardly claim this problem couldn't have been forseen.

One simple solution is to have the border between Ireland and the EU mainland, that would work and is my tuppence worth.

In the meantime there is no physical border between North and South, and very little of a border if any in the Irish sea.

The UK can and probably will just continue on with its Article 16 games and just agree to disagree with the EU, not implementing the WA correctly and asking the EU whatya gonna do about it? The answer is they can do diddly squat, and the merry go round continues. I hate to say it but what you see and describe is a Brexit benefit, Sovereignty in action - it's a beautiful thing.

As our Liz
    How long until he's not "your Liz"? I mean, he was "your Lord Frost"...until he wasn't.