View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Those tariffs need not exist though, only because the EU wishes to punish the UK to prevent other nations escaping the Brussels dictatorship will they be imposed. Dreaming of freedom has a high price in Europe.

So if the EU sets the world an example that tariffs are a good thing to impose on your enemies they can hardly complain when the US introduces tariffs on steel to punish the Germans. Poetic justice if you ask me :P

Meanwhile we are off to see our special friends next week for an exemption.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43342246

Unfortunate the EU won't be able to do that with them thinking tariffs are good and all
    Member states run the EU. They'd rather impose tariffs on the UK to preserve the single market than risk its integrity. Most businesses would agree to sacrifice some of their trade with the UK to preserve the single market too.

Those tariffs need not exist though, only because the EU wishes to punish the UK to prevent other nations escaping the Brussels dictatorship will they be imposed. Dreaming of freedom has a high price in Europe.
    Actually, these tariffs do in fact need to exist after the UK leaves the EU due to WTO rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Actually, these tariffs do in fact need to exist after the UK leaves the EU due to WTO rules.
    Don't they set maximum tariffs. You can reduce them all the way to 0 as long as you apply them to all other WTO members?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Member states run the EU. They'd rather impose tariffs on the UK to preserve the single market than risk its integrity. Most businesses would agree to sacrifice some of their trade with the UK to preserve the single market too.
    Tariffs and sanctions are not something you apply to your friends. Member states/the EU, call it what you will, need to decide if going forward post Brexit the UK is their friend or their foe. The clock is ticking, the EU have dithered for long enough, it's time to put their cards on the table.

Not if the EU/UK agree a comprehensive free trade agreement. We currently share equivalence, with the will the EU could agree that tomorrow unless of course there is another agenda in play.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Tariffs and sanctions are not something you apply to your friends. Member states/the EU, call it what you will, need to decide if going forward post Brexit the UK is their friend or their foe. The clock is ticking, the EU have dithered for long enough, it's time to put their cards on the table.
    You are leaving and asking for a divorce. We don't have to be friends. We are just adults trying to discuss the custody of the kids with you in a constructive manner.
    Claiming we are still friends so you can stay in the house, use the car and our bank account doesn't make it a reality.

Don't they set maximum tariffs. You can reduce them all the way to 0 as long as you apply them to all other WTO members?
    Yes, but if the UK becomes a random third country then giving them no tariffs means nobody has to pay any tariffs on their goods that enter the EU or Turkey.
    We cannot simply remove all tariffs for everyone just to please the UK.

Not if the EU/UK agree a comprehensive free trade agreement. We currently share equivalence, with the will the EU could agree that tomorrow unless of course there is another agenda in play.
    We do today. There is no guarantee we will in the future other than May's belief that your parliament will always vote for regulatory alignment because it is in everyone's interest.

Sure, maybe the UK should start preparing to negotiate such an agreement then?
    They could start with a proposal that is based on reality?
    Right now all the UK has expressed is the determination to be able to get rid of that equivalence at the drop of a hat.

7+ Year Old Account
    You are leaving and asking for a divorce. We don't have to be friends. We are just adults trying to discuss the custody of the kids with you in a constructive manner.
    Claiming we are still friends so you can stay in the house, use the car and our bank account doesn't make it a reality.
    And for the same reasons a battered wife leaves the marital home for her own sanity and safety, continuing the abuse once she has left is unacceptable. Especially if she meets a new husband afterwards that is bigger, fitter and much tougher than you.

Sure, maybe the UK should start preparing to negotiate such an agreement then?
    They could start with a proposal that is based on reality?
    Right now all the UK has expressed is the determination to be able to get rid of that equivalence at the drop of a hat.
    We have already offered that and currently have superior standards to the EU far in excess of what is required in many areas. It is the EU that is stalling and dragging in unrelated matters to confuse and complicate the situation.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

And for the same reasons a battered wife leaves the marital home for her own sanity and safety, continuing the abuse once she has left is unacceptable. Especially if she meets a new husband afterwards that is bigger, fitter and much tougher than you.
    If that's how you feel about it ... In your example you would want nothing to do with the first husband.
    You'll certainly find out how much bigger, tougher and abusive your new husband (the US in your dreams) can be.

7+ Year Old Account
    If that's how you feel about it ... In your example you would want nothing to do with the first husband.
    You'll certainly find out how much bigger, tougher and abusive your new husband (the US in your dreams) can be.
    It's not the UK that is going to get beaten by the big US tariff stick in 15 days time I can assure you. Come back and let us know how it feels :P

We have already offered that and currently have superior standards to the EU far in excess of what is required in many areas. It is the EU that is stalling and dragging in unrelated matters to confuse and complicate the situation.
    See? You're back in your alternate reality.

Where is he evidence of that?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the UK that is going to get beaten by the big US tariff stick in 15 days time I can assure you. Come back and let us know how it feels :P
    Is that why your own government is scrambling to get granted an exemption to it at this very moment? Cause they certainly don't have one yet.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43342246

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Is that why your own government is scrambling to get granted an exemption to it at this very moment? Cause they certainly don't have one yet.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43342246
    Scrambling? Hahahaha No it's already in the bag.

Trump hints Britain could dodge new American trade tariffs after leaving EU

And the salty EU response...

Jyrki Katainen, European Commission vice president, said: "What I have read is that they (the US) are probably considering some exemptions to Nafta (North American Free Trade Agreement) countries, but also they have mentioned the UK and maybe some other countries.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...eping-tariffs/

And the costs and downsides of EU membership just go up and up and up.

10+ Year Old Account

Jyrki Katainen, European Commission vice president, said: "What I have read is that they (the US) are probably considering some exemptions to Nafta (North American Free Trade Agreement) countries, but also they have mentioned the UK and maybe some other countries.

Trump is currently busy trying to screw Canada a bit with Nafta to give them theirs. Excuse me if I'm sceptical to the idea that the UK already have it in the bag with no strings attached.

About that abusive husband analogy up the page...

Deleted
    When the Uk goes begging for a trade agreement cap in hand does it really think the giants like the US and China are going to treat it as equals?

Or by the time you leave the EU and the tariff no longer applies to you there will probably be another president and the tariffs will be removed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or by the time you leave the EU and the tariff no longer applies to you there will probably be another president and the tariffs will be removed.
    But in the meantime because Germany has to feel the full force of US sanctions and Poland doesn't, the EU says the Polish must suffer equally because it is a member of the EU sufferance club? Aren't there supposed to be benefits of being an EU member?

This is how it is being reported here....

EU throws huge STROP at UK-US special relationship which may EXCLUDE Britain from tariffs

Oh my sides!

But in the meantime because Germany has to feel the full force of US sanctions and Poland doesn't, the EU says the Polish must suffer equally because it is a member of the EU sufferance club? Aren't there supposed to be benefits of being an EU member?

This is how it is being reported here....

EU throws huge STROP at UK-US special relationship which may EXCLUDE Britain from tariffs

Oh my sides!
    Can the Express stop using caps and grotesque titles for their "articles"? It almost looks like a tweet from Trump.
    Are you so desperate to get a special snowflake deal for your steel exports? I thought it represents a minor share of your exports. Are you so scared your economy is falling apart already that you have to cling to straws?