View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #5301
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    And in todays headline news...

    US to join Commonwealth?

    Read it and weep Eurochums.
    Hmm, if you manage to add the US to the commonwealth, then you only need to somehow get South America and New Zealand in there too. Then you will have completed the 'Oceania' set!

  2. #5302
    Herald of the Titans dribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brexitia
    Posts
    2,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Hmm, if you manage to add the US to the commonwealth, then you only need to somehow get South America and New Zealand in there too. Then you will have completed the 'Oceania' set!
    Ha, well we have the kiwis, they are in already! Back in 1956 when serious discussions about France joining the British Empire [sic] (oops The Commonwealth) we nearly nabbed them too.

    It's not too late, they will realise the error of their EU experiment ways soon enough, along with many others.
    Last edited by dribbles; 2018-04-23 at 12:18 AM.

  3. #5303
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    20,985
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    No source? I am surprised. Did you mean this one?

    BREXIT WIN: Australian PM reveals UK 'in talks' to sign EPIC trade deal worth £10TRILLION

    So easy to do these trade deals when you all speak the same language!
    Your reading comprehension is at its best, as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before.

    A bunch of times actually.

  4. #5304
    Elemental Lord zealo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,012
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    And in todays headline news...

    US to join Commonwealth?

    Read it and weep Eurochums.
    Please, let that happen.

    Step 2 of that would be that the US starts influencing commonwealth policy for it's own good rather than that of the UK.

  5. #5305
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dual US/Canada
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    No source? I am surprised. Did you mean this one?

    BREXIT WIN: Australian PM reveals UK 'in talks' to sign EPIC trade deal worth £10TRILLION

    So easy to do these trade deals when you all speak the same language!
    Umm... I'm not sure you know what you're talking about on this one. What's being talked about is the possibility of the UK joining the Trans-Pacific-Partnership (yay for sourcing an article that can't even get the name of the deal correct reliably. Sometimes they call it the TPP, other times the TTP). For one, Australia lacks the authority to sign the UK in on the deal. And it would be VERY difficult to get the UK in on it, because part of the whole reason for the TPP existing is to make trading across the Pacific Ocean easier... and the UK kinda physically isn't there. It's not impossible for the UK to get in if everyone else in the deal wants them, but to suggest that such a deal is 'easy' or 'in talks to sign' is simply lying. All the article you quoted is actually saying is that the UK is talking about wanting in, and Australia is generally supportive of the idea.

    The fact of the matter is that now that the TPP is looking like it's going to be an actual thing, a bunch of countries are expressing interest in it. Including the US, which was originally in then walked out. Unfortunately for the UK, the general feel seems to be that most of the countries want to get the deal signed and make sure it's working first, then look at expanding it. So even if the UK does manage to get in, banking on it happening in time for Brexit to be finalized is a hell of a long shot.

    (Also, 'when you all speak the same language'? The TPP is Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, Brunei, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Mexico, Chile, and Peru. There are English speakers in it, but this deal isn't remotely about the triumph of the English language)
    Last edited by Lynarii; 2018-04-23 at 08:49 AM.

  6. #5306
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Ha, well we have the kiwis, they are in already! Back in 1956 when serious discussions about France joining the British Empire [sic] (oops The Commonwealth) we nearly nabbed them too.

    It's not too late, they will realise the error of their EU experiment ways soon enough, along with many others.
    You are 28 years off.

  7. #5307
    Herald of the Titans dribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brexitia
    Posts
    2,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    You are 28 years off.
    28 years off you say? Probably it happened then too, the desire of France to bend the knee to UK monarchy is a frequent occurance, but the 1956 event is the one I reference.

    "The French government proposed a union of Britain and France in 1956 — even offering to accept the sovereignty of the British queen

    Eden rejected the idea of a union but was more favorable to a French proposal to join the Commonwealth, according to the documents.
    One document added that Mollet “had not thought there need be difficulty over France accepting the headship of her Majesty (Queen Elizabeth II).”


    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16638084/n...ion-never-was/

    They'll be back trying again no doubt when future King Charles ascends the throne and the head of The Commonwealth.

  8. #5308
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Your reading comprehension is at its best, as always.
    So much for "speaking the same language", right?

  9. #5309
    Elemental Lord zealo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    You are 28 years off.
    The year isn't off, it's worth mentioning the context of that proposal, though, as well as that "serious discussions" is just Dribbles hyperbole.

    1956 is the same year as when France together with Britain and Israel invaded Egypt, after the later nationalised the canal, sparking the Suez crisis, as well as being involved in independence wars trying to keep hold of their colonies around this time. The French economy wasn't doing too hot either, and the French government later collapsed entirely some years later.

    France in 2018 is in a much more stable place now than it were back then, and any comparison is mostly historical curiosity rather than anything with a chance of repeat now.

  10. #5310
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The year isn't off, it's worth mentioning the context of that proposal, though, as well as that "serious discussions" is just Dribbles hyperbole.

    1956 is the same year as when France together with Britain and Israel invaded Egypt, after the later nationalised the canal, sparking the Suez crisis, as well as being involved in independence wars trying to keep hold of their colonies around this time. The French economy wasn't doing too hot either, and the French government later collapsed entirely some years later.

    France in 2018 is in a much more stable place now than it were back then, and any comparison is mostly historical curiosity rather than anything with a chance of repeat now.
    That was not at all what I was talking about, haha.

  11. #5311
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Posts
    4,921
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Given the fate of Charles 1 & 2, there won’t be a Charles 3, he’ll no doubt be a George. But hopefully we come to our senses in the not so distant future and abolish our countries biggest welfare scrounges and let the Windsor’s make their own way in the world.
    Agree on George VII.
    But what about the Windsors ? For as long as the crown estates pay for their upkeep, welfare scrounging is off the table.
    And if UK wants to abolish monarchy, then they will have to hand over the crown estates. Lillibeth will happily piss herself over the well kempt portfolio worth more than a billion. And UK will have to pay the new president + staff on their own. Have fun

    btw: yay to the new HRH <whateverhisnameis>; at least one fine message in this times. Great grandma Liz is of course amused, so short after her birthday a late present.
    Last edited by ranzino; 2018-04-23 at 02:36 PM.

  12. #5312
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Given the fate of Charles 1 & 2, there won’t be a Charles 3, he’ll no doubt be a George. But hopefully we come to our senses in the not so distant future and abolish our countries biggest welfare scrounges and let the Windsor’s make their own way in the world.
    I'm sure they'll really suffer having to rely only on their billions in estates generating hundreds of millions in income.

  13. #5313
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Posts
    4,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I'm sure they'll really suffer having to rely only on their billions in estates generating hundreds of millions in income.
    AFAIK the Queen already pays tax on her income from the Duchy of Lancaster for years; same with Charles as current holder of Duchy of Cornwall.
    welfare scrounging my ass, the Windsor family feed the tourism industry with pretty sums too. And Liz is 92years, how many presidents would you have to pay pensions and salary instead of this one elder lady as head of state ?

  14. #5314
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Posts
    4,921
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...al-less-likely

    News from the peers: a "no deal" scenario is not possible anymore ?
    but it only makes sense if parliament can deny the deal AND also cancel Brexit if nothing new can be agreed with Brussels after such a parliamental "Nope"

  15. #5315
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    No source? I am surprised. Did you mean this one?

    BREXIT WIN: Australian PM reveals UK 'in talks' to sign EPIC trade deal worth £10TRILLION

    So easy to do these trade deals when you all speak the same language!
    EU beats Britain to the punch on opening trade negotiations with Commonwealth countries

    So basically the UK is talking about joining a trade agreement they had no role in writing. That reeks of desperation. Meanwhile, the EU will negotiate its own terms with Australia and New Zealand from a position of strength that will result in free and fair trade in the European interest.

    I predict major economies will go into the next recession by 2020, it's already overdue. The UK's exit from the EU's internal market just so happens to be 31st December 2020, which will only make it more intense for the UK. I think the 2020's may well become a lost decade for the UK, where the economy contracts and more people emigrate than immigrate. Sad!

  16. #5316
    brexit is actually a shit show lol

    i was so wrong about this, and im hoping it can be stopped tbh

    im glad i have my contingency plans in place because im pretty sure this will devastate the british economy given there's no solution to the NI question

  17. #5317
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    brexit is actually a shit show lol

    i was so wrong about this, and im hoping it can be stopped tbh

    im glad i have my contingency plans in place because im pretty sure this will devastate the british economy given there's no solution to the NI question
    Now I've seen everything. Holy shit.

  18. #5318
    Elemental Lord zealo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    brexit is actually a shit show lol

    i was so wrong about this, and im hoping it can be stopped tbh

    im glad i have my contingency plans in place because im pretty sure this will devastate the british economy given there's no solution to the NI question
    Who are you, and what have you done with Floopa?

  19. #5319
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Posts
    4,921
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Who are you, and what have you done with Floopa?
    umm, there was always a Plan B (or C od D) in Floopa's desk, you remember ?

  20. #5320
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    umm, there was always a Plan B (or C od D) in Floopa's desk, you remember ?
    Thats true, but hes never actually admitted Brexit was a failure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •