View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #8881
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Posts
    4,922
    is there now any mechanism for EU to say "Sorry Tess, it's over" ?

  2. #8882
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    is there now any mechanism for EU to say "Sorry Tess, it's over" ?
    Nope, and why should they. The current modus seems to be to have a special summit in November. If the UK comes up with a significantly improved solution for Northern Ireland, they'll get an invite and the opportunity to sort everything out. If they don't come up with anything, they won't get an invite and the Council will decide to cease negotiations and prepare for a hard Brexit. At that point, it is game over. Once the EU sets those wheels in motion, they won't go back. It'll be bureaucrats taking over.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  3. #8883
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Posts
    4,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Nope, and why should they. The current modus seems to be to have a special summit in November. If the UK comes up with a significantly improved solution for Northern Ireland, they'll get an invite and the opportunity to sort everything out. If they don't come up with anything, they won't get an invite and the Council will decide to cease negotiations and prepare for a hard Brexit. At that point, it is game over. Once the EU sets those wheels in motion, they won't go back. It'll be bureaucrats taking over.
    AFAIK the november summit is already scrapped and only on the table again if UK moves their collective asses.
    would mean there is a deadline now ?

  4. #8884
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Nope, and why should they. The current modus seems to be to have a special summit in November. If the UK comes up with a significantly improved solution for Northern Ireland, they'll get an invite and the opportunity to sort everything out. If they don't come up with anything, they won't get an invite and the Council will decide to cease negotiations and prepare for a hard Brexit. At that point, it is game over. Once the EU sets those wheels in motion, they won't go back. It'll be bureaucrats taking over.
    Brexit was never really well thought it's full of contradictions which is why nothing really has changed between now and page 1.

  5. #8885
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    AFAIK the november summit is already scrapped and only on the table again if UK moves their collective asses.
    would mean there is a deadline now ?
    Well, I haven't spoken to Barnier, so I'm unclear as to what's actually happening.

    However, pundits that seem to be closer have suggested such a thing. Bar a clear statement, my guess is as good as yours. I believe the regular December summit is the actual point of no return. But seeing as Britain is still closing its eyes and going "lalala", there's no chance anything will change. If I had to put a wager, I'd put my bet on a crashout.

    I don't see any way to resolve this except for utter British surrender. And for a nation that glorifies things like the charge of the light cavalry, they'd rather walk into the Northern Sea singing Rule, Britannia! while drowning than admit they've made a mistake.

    I'm just now watching Prime Minister's Questions, and it's a circus. A joke. It's the satire of proper politics. They have no clue. It's not even that May is absolutely disconnected from reality, nobody in the whole house is raising the rock solid fact that the EU won't budge on its red lines. They're not even daring to ask what if. It's pathetic. I pity every Remainer in that country, they're getting buttfucked by their own corrupt politicians, everyone of which will happily set the country ablaze only to keep his seat.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Brexit was never really well thought it's full of contradictions which is why nothing really has changed between now and page 1.
    I know. And it's looking even more bleak now.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  6. #8886
    Read an interesting interpretation of May's behavior.

    Her coming home with literally no progress is a win for her. Why? Because all three parties in GB are not interested in a deal anyway.

    - The Brexit hardliners are not interested in any deal, no matter what
    - Labour only sees the Brexit negotiations as a chance to come into power (and will also tear any compromise apart for political gain)
    - May is not interested in a deal -at this moment-, because she's fighting for her survival right now. Coming home with something substantial would give both the hardliners and labour 6 full weeks to butcher her slowly.

    So what she does instead is calculating the deadlines of the British Parliament and the deadlines of the EU, with the perfect timing being mid December. 5 days before the British Parliament heads into vacation.
    Of course it's a gamble if they can come to a decision under such pressure, but on the other hand no pressure definitely won't lead to a decision, as we could see in the past 2 years.
    Last edited by Malacrass; 2018-10-18 at 08:35 PM.

  7. #8887
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Except the problem is, they are still all coming the other way to escape European tyranny, how many persecuted EU refugees is the UK expected to take?

    We have much in common Slanty and I too wish for your hard border, can't come soon enough. And the reality is the UK/EU are no nearer a deal today than yesterday or 2 years ago. And the clock ticks and tocks but not for much longer now.

    You must get fed up of my told you so's, you should ignore me and keep your head in those fluffy, EU regulated, fluffy clouds.

    Let's look forwards, not back.
    Fucking lol'd.

    God I wish EU would just let the UK crash and burn with no-deal brexit.

  8. #8888
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Posts
    4,922
    PM May needs consent from Parliament to propose something AND has to bring it back to Westminster for ratification later.
    Now guess what happens right now ?

    "EU leaders are preparing to back Theresa May in building a “coalition of the reasonable” in the UK parliament, in a desperate bid to avoid a no-deal Brexit."

    if it means May can kick Arlene Foster and her DUP in the nuts, i'm all for it. and please sack those silly backbenchers too

  9. #8889
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    That's not quite wrong, it seems. The sad truth is, however, that the British still don't get the EU and how bureaucracy works. One British pundit seemed to get it when he said "to the EU, this is just a technical, legal process. They'll just go through the motions and there's no flinching involved."
    It was the older guy from the 3 men in a pub videos, a guy who is in the remain camp even though the job he was in (until a few days ago which he quit to help focus on remain and people's vote) would have been one of the few to actually benefit heavily from no deal.

  10. #8890
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    PM May needs consent from Parliament to propose something AND has to bring it back to Westminster for ratification later.
    Now guess what happens right now ?

    "EU leaders are preparing to back Theresa May in building a “coalition of the reasonable” in the UK parliament, in a desperate bid to avoid a no-deal Brexit."

    if it means May can kick Arlene Foster and her DUP in the nuts, i'm all for it. and please sack those silly backbenchers too
    That would involve May being reasonable too. This is a Prime Minister who triggered Art 50 without a plan. A Prime Minister who when promising a proper vote in Parliament on the deal actually meant "my way or no deal". A Prime Minister who cannot form consensus with anyone, be it her Cabinet, her back benchers, her coalition partners, the opposition or fellow heads of state. Would be great if it could be built with out her though, might have half a shot then.

  11. #8891
    So, apparently the summit was rather interesting in that May talked for 15 minutes. High speed rambling to mostly non-native English speakers. At some point, Merkel is said to have asked Barnier "what May is on about". Then stunned silence and no questions until May left. The EU isn't quite sure what May actually wants and after the speech, they got the impression that May also doesn't quite know what she wants. :P

    Amusing.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  12. #8892
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    As if that would change anything, she is not the problem.
    She is certainly part of the problem. Sacrificing her working majority expecting the GE to give her an even better one and ending up in bed with the DUP was her choice, noone could her forced her to call those elections.
    Using Article 50 before the country had any idea whatsoever what they planned to ask was her choice.
    Letting the show be run by people who wanted to force a no-deal by doing nothing (or who would do so through incompetence) was her choice.
    At any point she could have forced the situation. Could that have meant she'd lose her chair? So what, her pension is certain and her career in politics would not survive Brexit unless it was a miracle and if she did not know it, she was a moron. A PM is not decorative and they do have power.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

  13. #8893
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    None of this should come as any surprise. May holds the record for longest serving Home Secretary, but her 6 year tenure was largely ineffectual and incompetent, even the Tories recognised this. https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/0...nt-reassuring/

    Tephlon Theresa was good at dodging bullets, mainly through spin and sacrificing underlings, so we can expect everyone but Theresa to be blamed for Theresa's utter incompetence.
    Tephlon theresa.. Ha that is funny.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  14. #8894
    An interesting read:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...xit-supporters
    Looks like the US is a much bigger regulatory clusterfuck than the EU. Good luck with your trade deal.

  15. #8895
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    As if that would change anything, she is not the problem.
    She is part of the problem, a major part. Trying so hard to push through an agreement that the EU can legally not allow. Going on and on and on trying to push it when the EU killed it dead before the Brexiteer Reese-Mogg part of the conservative party had it all changed (and killed again).

    The EU legally can not budge on Northern Ireland issues either, legally. She can but won't.

    She got into bed with the DUP, which has in its little group circle half a dozen terrorist groups. Not just that but their policy makes Trump look sane.

    The only reason most people had a sigh of relief when she replaced Cameron was because even though her 6 years as home secretary were ones of incompetence and outright destructive ideas, at least she wasn't Fox (As secretary of defense gutted the armed forces), Webb (Tried to end sick pay with a "IF you're sick fuck you ." attitude), Gove ("Who cares what the experts say." and as Education secretary nearly destroyed English schools) and Leadsom (who pretty much does every fucking interview highlighting how her being a mother makes her better than anyone, also climate change denier until very recently and refused to allow renewables). She was bad and everyone else was worse.

    The only reason she's PM now is because Corbyn for many is still unelectable. Many people are saying they prefer Labour to the Conservatives but outright will not want Corbyn in Number 10. They like his policies but things around him (IRA, Hamas, maybe the anti semetism stuff too, plus the "I have no where to sit on train" when he had whole carriages of space to sit on) put people off too. Someone with his policies or close to him but without the baggage is something that would landslide next election.

  16. #8896
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    She is part of the problem, a major part. Trying so hard to push through an agreement that the EU can legally not allow. Going on and on and on trying to push it when the EU killed it dead before the Brexiteer Reese-Mogg part of the conservative party had it all changed (and killed again).

    The EU legally can not budge on Northern Ireland issues either, legally. She can but won't.

    She got into bed with the DUP, which has in its little group circle half a dozen terrorist groups. Not just that but their policy makes Trump look sane.

    The only reason most people had a sigh of relief when she replaced Cameron was because even though her 6 years as home secretary were ones of incompetence and outright destructive ideas, at least she wasn't Fox (As secretary of defense gutted the armed forces), Webb (Tried to end sick pay with a "IF you're sick fuck you ." attitude), Gove ("Who cares what the experts say." and as Education secretary nearly destroyed English schools) and Leadsom (who pretty much does every fucking interview highlighting how her being a mother makes her better than anyone, also climate change denier until very recently and refused to allow renewables). She was bad and everyone else was worse.

    The only reason she's PM now is because Corbyn for many is still unelectable. Many people are saying they prefer Labour to the Conservatives but outright will not want Corbyn in Number 10. They like his policies but things around him (IRA, Hamas, maybe the anti semetism stuff too, plus the "I have no where to sit on train" when he had whole carriages of space to sit on) put people off too. Someone with his policies or close to him but without the baggage is something that would landslide next election.
    It's quite amusing that Corbyn is considered borderline abject and unelectable when all the stuff you listed for May up to becoming PM seems to be ok.

  17. #8897
    Deleted
    May always looks depressed. The only time I see her looking animated and happy is when she is berating migrants and refugees.

  18. #8898
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Tephlon theresa.. Ha that is funny.
    TBF I thought it was Teflon Tony (Blair). I guess it works for any politician with a name beginning with T. It will be Teflon Trump when in 6 years he hasn't been impeached or faced any charges
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Seriously guys, this forum would be a better place if everyone just stopped acknowledging Zenkai. It's just demeaning to everyone.

  19. #8899
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    TBF I thought it was Teflon Tony (Blair). I guess it works for any politician with a name beginning with T. It will be Teflon Trump when in 6 years he hasn't been impeached or faced any charges
    It will be the Trumburglar otherwise ?

    edit: that's off topic but hey, it's from the Uk:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...global-affairs
    WTF ?
    Last edited by Demolitia; 2018-10-19 at 06:13 PM.

  20. #8900
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    It will be the Trumburglar otherwise ?

    edit: that's off topic but hey, it's from the Uk:
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...global-affairs
    WTF ?
    I can not believe Nick Clegg is infact a Sir.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •