View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #10121
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The point of representative democracy instead of direct democracy is that in complex societies the people largely cannot make informed choices so they choose people they can trust to make informed choices for them.
    Unfortunately, as a whole, the UK'S MP have proven to be unworthy of said trust.

  2. #10122
    Warchief Teleros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    See, whether or not it's fearmongering doesn't matter.
    I understand that. However, as far as businesses go, very often you'll find that whilst Business A is moving out of the UK over Brexit, Business B thinks it's an investment opportunity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    And the opinion of a blogshitpage called order-order.com is also shit. I mean, who the fuck is that even?
    It's one of the biggest political blogs in the UK. He gets something like a quarter of a million unique visitors a week.
    Still not tired of winning.

  3. #10123
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Has the European Research Group published any of their findings and methodologies? 2 years of research should have yielded some sort of result, right?

    - - - Updated - - -



    Well Cameron said the result would be honored, as far as I remember
    Yup cameron screwed up in calling for the vote then screwed up treating the vote once it happened as if it was utterly binding because to do otherwise may have had his party lose power because they were stupid enough to hold the vote in the first place and then being a picture of courage he fucked right off and left somebody else to clean up the mess he made.

  4. #10124
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    The whole point of having a non binding vote is YOU ARE NOT BOUND BY IT!
    And that is silly. Sure it is not legally binding. But you don't announce a referendum, debate and campaign for it constantly for half a year or more, get the people to come and vote and then tell them you will take their opinion into consideration. Better to just not ask the question.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Unfortunately, as a whole, the UK'S MP have proven to be unworthy of said trust.
    I mean, I could say that of many countries. But that is the point of representative democracy.

    Well part of it. You see in a representative democracies, MPs are supposed to be constantly advised by experts on every topic they are going to vote so they can make informed decisions. I think that may be were we hit a snag.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

  5. #10125
    I am kinda with dawkins in that previously linked video as well. If you are going to hold a vote over something that has such major long lasting and probably irreversible repercussions that should require a super majority. If 60% of the people voting really want it then okay thats a pretty good indication your country wants to move in that direction. As it was barely 50% voted to leave and most of them were older people. Most of the younger people who will have to clean up the mess voted to remain because they liked the ability to easily and smoothly travel around europe.

  6. #10126
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    a nice problem then. is parliament obliged to follow any decision or should parliament, when in doubt, better ask again ?
    or is parliament entitled to discard a referendum because it is also tasked to shield country and populace from harm ?

    it is a set of multi billion GBP questions, now have fun.
    Moreover, should such a monumental shift in the direction of the country be decided by a simple majority vote? For us, the clear answer is no, because our participation is fixed on a constitutional level. Even if we allowed silly things as national referendums to have any binding power, a simple majority wouldn't be enough.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  7. #10127
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Moreover, should such a monumental shift in the direction of the country be decided by a simple majority vote? For us, the clear answer is no, because our participation is fixed on a constitutional level. Even if we allowed silly things as national referendums to have any binding power, a simple majority wouldn't be enough.
    As the Scots said, it should have at least required a majority in each member of the Union. Which it didn't get since Scotland and NI voted it down.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

  8. #10128
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Well Cameron said the result would be honored, as far as I remember
    That would have made it binding, in which case the courts already decided that it would have been invalid.

  9. #10129
    Dreadlord Nigel Tufnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Posts
    839
    Are we no longer on Nazism?

    Good, good.

    I listened to Carney today. Then laughed at the pompous, twat of a Tory on R4 criticising him for making 'forecasts' when, actually, at the start of the speech Carney said: "These are scenarios not forecasts. They illustrate what could happen not necessarily what is most likely to happen."

    I swear to god, though. If the no-dealers do win, Carney's right, and house prices do drop by 30%; I'll be after Rees-Mogg and all of his ridiculously-named children with my pitchfork.

    That said, if house prices do drop by 30%, I'm sure the Millennials and iGen will be a lot happier.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

  10. #10130
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Are we no longer on Nazism?

    Good, good.

    I listened to Carney today. Then laughed at the pompous, twat of a Tory on R4 criticising him for making 'forecasts' when, actually, at the start of the speech Carney said: "These are scenarios not forecasts. They illustrate what could happen not necessarily what is most likely to happen."

    I swear to god, though. If the no-dealers do win, Carney's right, and house prices do drop by 30%; I'll be after Rees-Mogg and all of his ridiculously-named children with my pitchfork.

    That said, if house prices do drop by 30%, I'm sure the Millennials and iGen will be a lot happier.
    I guess you've not seen JRM's comments about Carney. https://twitter.com/faisalislam/stat...53557221785601

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    As the Scots said, it should have at least required a majority in each member of the Union. Which it didn't get since Scotland and NI voted it down.
    You can't see any flaws with that?

    I wonder if the Scots in question would be so keen on this proposal had 38,694,000 voters in England had all voted remain and 3,728,000 in Scotland, Wales and NI had voted to leave?
    Last edited by Pann; 2018-11-28 at 10:07 PM.

  11. #10131
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I guess you've not seen JRM's comments about Carney. https://twitter.com/faisalislam/stat...53557221785601

    - - - Updated - - -



    You can't see any flaws with that?
    No? If you respect the individual nations that join to make the United Kingdom, you give them a veto for the really important stuff. Like the EU does.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

  12. #10132
    Dreadlord Nigel Tufnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Posts
    839
    In fact, while we're on the subject of Rees-Mogg.

    That his archaic, bigoted & homophobic views do not render him unelectable but actually make him extremely popular, sickens and shocks me.

    Somewhere, I read that he's now only polling second to BJ as successor to May.

    It's a damning indictment of the state of politics that this joke, this utter fucking joke of a human could be considered worthy of the role of PM.

    Edit....

    Literally, I am ashamed to be British at the moment.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

  13. #10133
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Yup cameron screwed up in calling for the vote then screwed up treating the vote once it happened as if it was utterly binding because to do otherwise may have had his party lose power because they were stupid enough to hold the vote in the first place and then being a picture of courage he fucked right off and left somebody else to clean up the mess he made.
    No, he made it binding to get back at his schoolyard rival Boris who pretended to be for leave to stick it to Camoron in the first place.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    That said, if house prices do drop by 30%, I'm sure the Millennials and iGen will be a lot happier.
    Why would they?
    The pound would probably drop by even more, so foreign investors would snap up all those cheap houses.
    After all, who is going to build more of those after the UK got rid of all the Poles?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I guess you've not seen JRM's comments about Carney. https://twitter.com/faisalislam/stat...53557221785601
    He referenced that comment in his fourth sentence which you did quote.
    Didn't read that far? Then do not quote the whole post as if you did.

  14. #10134
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,093
    Some Tories are really looking to make bank on this misery that's called the brexit for the working class. Classy.

  15. #10135
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    No? If you respect the individual nations that join to make the United Kingdom, you give them a veto for the really important stuff. Like the EU does.
    Really? You don't see the problem with a vote from NI being worth more than 30 votes from England?

  16. #10136
    Dreadlord Nigel Tufnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    The pound would probably drop by even more, so foreign investors would snap up all those cheap houses.
    After all, who is going to build more of those after the UK got rid of all the Poles?
    I don't know about that... which "foreign investors" are going to want to "invest" in the UK?
    You can't really dust for vomit.

  17. #10137
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Really? You don't see the problem with a vote from NI being worth more than 30 votes from England?
    That's how it works in all nation's build out of several regions. Belgium's french half vote also counts more than a Dutch one in Federal elections due to them being a minority in the nation.

  18. #10138
    Dreadlord Nigel Tufnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Posts
    839
    In short - my glass is not exactly half full this eve..... probably more 99% empty.

    If a no-dealer can convince me why Carney's 'disorderly Brexit scenario' is project fear at its best, please do so.

    Because at the moment, all I want to do is kill racist baby boomers.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

  19. #10139
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Really? You don't see the problem with a vote from NI being worth more than 30 votes from England?
    If you want to consider yourself a composite of equal nations, no, I don't.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

  20. #10140
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I don't know about that... which "foreign investors" are going to want to "invest" in the UK?
    We are still the fifth or sixth biggest economy on the planet, all this doom and gloom that no-one will want to invest in the UK is as realistic as the claims that we will be rich beyond the dreams of Avarice because we signed a FTA with the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •