View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    No, I just don't understand why this ECJ, or the fact that it was requested only now, is such an issue, that's all.
    As everybody told the UK they were free stop and stay, I can understand why they didn't even look at this.
    The EU, that is the institutional body of the European Union, has said they could always stop. But the member states, that is the council, one body of the EU, wasn't so sure about it. Legally speaking, it was unclear and while everyone hoped the member states wouldn't reject it, nobody knew that it wasn't a possibility.

The ECJ just has opened the door wide open for the UK to return from this adventure. And nobody could stop them. That is the message. If they change their minds, this thing "never happened" as far as the EU is concerned. Except for the cost and such, but the EU would happily live with the cost than see Britain leave.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Ahh, ok - no, I didn't know that. That's a massive, massive difference. That would imply that discussion of politics in your media is not dumbed down?
    Hmm. We have tabloids, too. I think everyone even here knows BILD. We have a couple more. But it is generally understood that BILD is the paper of the stupid, with more pictures than words. As such, nobody in their sane mind would ever refer to something said in the BILD oder than to spread gossip. Construction workers in Germany have their main intake from BILD (as a representative group, this goes for any blue collar type of people), but they don't blindly believe it. And they do watch public broadcasters and their news program... the German Tagesschau is still considered one of the if not the most trusted daily news source.

Is political discussion dumbed down? Yeah, it is. It globally is, no country is unaffected by the recent rise of the stupid. I'd even go as far as saying it's not that British political talk is specifically dumber than mainland European talk. It's just that... somehow once more Britain is special in that they managed to cultivate the EU as an enemy symbol for everything that was bad. And now Cameron has pressed the wrong button (Hey now, let's see what you can do!) and people have been lied to in a near Goebbel's like fashion. It was/is pure propagandistic brilliance. This Brexit scheme will be compared to Germany's "Total War" speech as one of propaganda's greatest campaigns. And it just goes to show, people can be lied to. And if you're obnoxious enough about it, they'll start believing. Not everyone is as stubborn as we are in outright rejecting Dribble's lack of sanity. Most people just give up... and that's the first step to agreeing, because it's so much simpler to go with the (perceived) stream than against it.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The EU, that is the institutional body of the European Union, has said they could always stop. But the member states, that is the council, one body of the EU, wasn't so sure about it. Legally speaking, it was unclear and while everyone hoped the member states wouldn't reject it, nobody knew that it wasn't a possibility.

The ECJ just has opened the door wide open for the UK to return from this adventure. And nobody could stop them. That is the message. If they change their minds, this thing "never happened" as far as the EU is concerned. Except for the cost and such, but the EU would happily live with the cost than see Britain leave.
    I heard that May survived a vote of no-confidence, and is now at EU headquarters looking for some addendum to their exit plan. Any chance that blows up and Britain decides not to exit?

Ok, fair enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I heard that May survived a vote of no-confidence, and is now at EU headquarters looking for some addendum to their exit plan. Any chance that blows up and Britain decides not to exit?
    Your guess is as good as ours.

The EU may have opened the door, but the EU won't renegotiate... virtually every official in the EU and its member states keeps repeating that there won't be renegotiations. The only thing I can imagine she would get are some assurances that everybody will try to play nice and not exploit Britain's situation as a soon-to-be vassal state. Something that's never been the intention to begin with. So that's an easy promise to make. But the main point of contention remains the Irish border. As long as that is not solved adequately, the EU won't budge from their position. If that means forever, then it'll be forever. Not to punish Britain or to keep them as a vassal, but because the Irish border problem seems to be crucial for the EU. Understandably, since they have declared time and again that they support RoI in their needs. And this is the result of that.

So, May will return to London with what UK politicians will undoubtedly interpret as "empty promises" and you'll have to ask the Britons here if that will blow up in her face. I couldn't possibly comment on that without getting more hate from some posters here for my arrogance and... some other stuff I already forgot. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

and... some other stuff I already forgot. :P
    Here's a tl;dr:
    https://www.boredpanda.com/brexit-ex...-hugo-rifkind/

The BBC explains what could happen probably better than any of us can; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46393399

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The BBC explains what could happen probably better than any of us can; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46393399
    Nice summary, thanks.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wow, yeah - that's a great article. Thanks!

What a clusterfuck it seems to be becoming. Why are they exiting the EU again?

Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Nice summary, thanks.

You're welcome. Although I must note it is not as humorous as the cheese submarine.

Yep. There are many, many reasons some of which have some validity, others (most) not so much.
    Last edited by Pann; 2018-12-13 at 08:49 PM.

Deleted

Something something foreigners something something sovereignty something something fishing industry

Also Blue Passports

Propaganda. Farage built his MEP career on attacking the EU. Suddenly he is important and behold, he won the referendum and then he didn't know what to do with it.

Propaganda. Farage built his MEP career on attacking the EU. Suddenly he is important and behold, he won the referendum and then he didn't know what to do with it.
    He made millions off of it for himself and his cronies, I wouldn't call that "didn't know what to do with it".

Wow, just wow https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/st...00950272294912 I'm speechless.

This is the kind of asshole that Brexiteers listen to.
    Last edited by Pann; 2018-12-13 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    He made millions off of it for himself and his cronies, I wouldn't call that "didn't know what to do with it".
    Do we have actual evidence for that?

Wow, just wow https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/st...00950272294912 I'm speechless.

So on top of the fact that this gigantic cunt is tweeting things like this, his bio explains how he is the "brains" behind the austerity that the Tories decided to treat us to, which has killed so many people in the last 8 years. He is literally bragging about this.

The police need to investigate him for the Croydon cat murders. He fits the profile perfectly. Charmless sociopath. I hope karma takes him without lube.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    He's not being serious... Daily Mail reads like satire but isn't. This is the worrying thing.
    Slow down there cowboy! You're saying people read The Daily Mail and take it seriously!? Has anyone told the columnists? I'm sure they will be incredibly upset to learn this.

It's also not a surprise whatsoever for anyone with half a brain cell. It's been said for about as long as the withdrawal agreement is a thing to be voted on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Slow down there cowboy! You're saying people read The Daily Mail and take it seriously!? Has anyone told the columnists? I'm sure they will be incredibly upset to learn this.
    Did you not notice Dribbles posting almost exclusively from the Mail, the Express and whatever other nonsense paper he can get his hands on? Who else is going to support his crazy?

WTF is wrong with certain people. Is he basically pushing the conspiracy that Cox was murdered by a remainer to get Remain to win?