View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibblewink View Post
    Interesting point about those 39 billion pounds: In the eyes of the EU those money are owed due to commitments made during the last budget, and it is quite possible they will just get brought back up as a requirement for a UK-EU trade deal. Not that it much matters in the sense of the budget but some people do like to keep things tidy.
    Yeah, the main consequence of not paying the £39bn is it shows the UK can't be trusted to honour commitments.

In addition to not being trusted, and maybe more importantly, the UK has a legal obligation to pay the £ 39 billion under international treaty law and could be taken before the ICJ if they refuse. There is also a case for the CJEU possibly (maybe even likely) having temporal jurisdiction since the breach of the treaty is an issue that arose before UK leaves the EU and the CJEU jurisdiction normally would end.
    Last edited by Secret Arcade; 2019-01-21 at 06:46 PM.

Corbyn is an idiot. Just do what democrats are doing and point out that the opposing party is at fault for the roadblock, instead of refusing to negotiate.

Ugh leftists

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regnmoln View Post
    In addition to not being trusted, and maybe more importantly, the UK has a legal obligation to pay the £ 39 billion under international treaty law and could be taken before the ICJ if they refuse. There is also a case for the CJEU possibly (maybe even likely) having temporal jurisdiction since the breach of the treaty is an issue that arose before UK leaves the EU and the CJEU jurisdiction normally would end.
    Ooooh we are quaking in our boots, the EU isn't going to invade or something scary is it? Oh hang on a sec, no worries it has no power of enforcement. All's good in brexitland.

Guess you can kiss goodbye to that £39 billion.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Ooooh we are quaking in our boots, the EU isn't going to invade or something scary is it? Oh hang on a sec, no worries it has no power of enforcement. All's good in brexitland.

Enter the WTO, which has the power to impose sanctions on members that violate international treaties and under whose jurisdiction the UK wishes to be placed. But hey, swings and roundabouts and all that.

Nobody but you gives a shit about those 39 billion. Enjoy your "victory".
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Enter the WTO, which has the power to impose sanctions on members that violate international treaties and under whose jurisdiction the UK wishes to be placed. But hey, swings and roundabouts and all that.
    The WTO can rule over trade disputes and the EU/UK settlement would be outside of this remit. Also the sanctions it can impose are in the form of tariffs usually in the sector where the violation took place.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-01-21 at 09:15 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Nobody but you gives a shit about those 39 billion. Enjoy your "victory".
    Thank you.

With Brexit, the withheld £39bn and taking back control of UK borders a simple analogy might be we are building a wall and making Brussels pay, wouldn't you agree?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    https://twitter.com/adamfleming/stat...20272003366917

watching the dominoes fall 1 by 1. EU nations are suddenly realising just how much they benefit from UK money, so now they're rebelling in order to secure the £39B payout that we - in the event of no deal - will not pay.
    This stupid british "us vs them" attitude, when will you people learn. Everyone loses on brexit, noone in the EU is pretending that they're "winning"

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.

With Brexit, the withheld £39bn and taking back control of UK borders a simple analogy might be we are building a wall and making Brussels pay, wouldn't you agree?
    Cus them refugees are swimming towards you in hordes amirite? pointless analogy you're making. Your net loss will exceed 39bn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    This stupid british "us vs them" attitude, when will you people learn. Everyone loses on brexit, noone in the EU is pretending that they're "winning"

- - - Updated - - -

Cus them refugees are swimming towards you in hordes amirite? pointless analogy you're making. Your net loss will exceed 39bn
    No worries, when they continue to further struggle finding personnel for several key sectors to a nation economy and well being. Going to be a nice experiment when immigrants no longer prefer the UK due to the further bigot and xenophobic nature of the brexit and how it empowers those people.

Seen the struggles in the medical sector? People from East to central Europe no longer taking the UK as their destination combined with an ever ageing population in the west, fun times ahead for them.

Thank you.

Just what kind of wall do you want to build through Ireland with your £39bn?

Not really necessary. By leaving with no deal, Britain is effectively imposing sanctions on itself. But I guess those 39 billions will last them through the lost trade or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    No worries, when they continue to further struggle finding personnel for several key sectors to a nation economy and well being. Going to be a nice experiment when immigrants no longer prefer the UK due to the further bigot and xenophobic nature of the brexit and how it empowers those people.

Seen the struggles in the medical sector? People from East to central Europe no longer taking the UK as their destination combined with an ever ageing population in the west, fun times ahead for them.
    Not to mention the crops that will rot in the fields and streets that need cleaning because Brits wouldn't do those jobs if they were the only ones on offer. Typically done by eastern European untrained labour, who will no longer be allowed in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to mention the crops that will rot in the fields and streets that need cleaning because Brits wouldn't do those jobs if they were the only ones on offer. Typically done by eastern European untrained labour, who will no longer be allowed in.
    Untrained labour is just the tip of the iceberg really, trained labour won't go there either. I reckon regarding english speaking nations Canada will get a a boost. But let's look even deeper into this, What do you think becoming an isolated nation will do to their universities that thrive on foreign students, that gain their prestige in part due to this. While campus live might be a world on its own, it will have an effect.

A brain drain is a realistic scenario as history has taught us undemocratic governments that take a nation hostage and empower bigotry tends to not just prevent people from moving there but also makes people look for greener pastures and haven't looked into it in detail it wouldn't surprise me if companies and countries are going to increasingly ramp up campaigns to attract these individuals.

Cynic in me is thinking that some of these wealthy conservative politicians want this, a dumb population slowly guided back into an era of servitude. With bad work terms, bad work pay, bad contracts, little to no rights, poor access to education and healthcare. In short even further widening the gap and getting rid of any and all intellectuals and middle class. I mean look at this whole debate now, you still have people in this thread who first come across as intelligent and able of individual thought to simply parrot what others say. I say they are well on their way.

No one cares about the bill or if you're "quaking in your boots".
    Fact is though, it would be hard for you to get trade agreements when deemed untrustworthy, let alone the kind of "better than EU deals" that you think others will want to give you. It would be nigh impossible if you in addition show that you're not willing to respect the very laws that those deals are governed by or the international institutions that uphold them.

When it starts getting noticeable that you import, for example, 50% of your food and 99% of your insulin, I'm sure you'd enjoy the fact that the only trade deal you managed to get was for a small shipment of oddly shaped rocks.

Cynic in me is thinking that some of these wealthy conservative politicians want this, a dumb population slowly guided back into an era of servitude. With bad work terms, bad work pay, bad contracts, little to no rights, poor access to education and healthcare. In short even further widening the gap and getting rid of any and all intellectuals and middle class. I mean look at this whole debate now, you still have people in this thread who first come across as intelligent and able of individual thought to simply parrot what others say. I say they are well on their way.
    With Theresa May refusing to commit to the Human Rights Act (which governs freedom of speech, association and religion, workers' rights, the right to a speedy and fair trial and so on) until the UK leaves the jurisdiction of the ECJ, you may not be too far away with that.

Do you honestly think the EU is any different? I don't see Merkel or Macron standing up for the workers in any country.

Brexit is a war between political elites, completely disinteresting to someone interested in the class struggle.

7+ Year Old Account
    You know what really hurts about fanatical remainers compared to tolerant and moderate brexiteers like me? From the latest yougov survey...

Only 9% of Leavers would mind if a relative married a strong Remainer

But 37% of Remainers would mind if a relative married a strong Leaver

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne...ndFamily_w.pdf

I always knew remainers had issues...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The WTO can rule over trade disputes and the EU/UK settlement would be outside of this remit. Also the sanctions it can impose are in the form of tariffs usually in the sector where the violation took place.
    the point

you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Bullshit, nobody cares.

The EU is making this hard for you because they are scared as shit that people see how easy it is to leave the EU.
    The harder they make it for you, the less likely it will be that other countries try to leave that neo-liberal shithole.
    Do tell, how did the EU make it hard for the UK to leave?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

You know what really hurts about fanatical remainers compared to tolerant and moderate brexiteers like me? From the latest yougov survey...

Only 9% of Leavers would mind if a relative married a strong Remainer

But 37% of Remainers would mind if a relative married a strong Leaver

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne...ndFamily_w.pdf

I always knew remainers had issues...
    Calling yourself tolerant doesnt make it true son. A quick look at your post history reveals you're neither.