View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #12081
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    @Pann Can you try and stop derailing the thread? As amusing as the confusion among the British about domestic politics in the UK is, your constant "proving wrong" or "being proven wrong" with wild arguments is a pattern that's been constant for the past 20 or so pages.

    I'm being nice now. I can be arrogant, if you prefer. Apparently, I have a knack for that.

    Edit:

    To get back on topic, let's talk about consequences...





    @dribbles: Tick, tock, mate. When exactly did you want to start making a profit from this? You know we'll count this when you later say "Muh, but we made 100 million in buying our own food!"

    Wait, let me guess... you wanted them bankers out anyway, right? Because they're... I don't know, some scummy filth that you don't like. You'll come up with a spin to justify this being a good thing, right? Come on Dribbelino... I have faith in you.
    You are not helping your case much. Most people in Britain did not want the banks to be bailed out and the more of them leave the better. This is about the worst argument you can make against Brexit. I don't think you understand how much the banks are despised. They are parasites. There is no false bravado here - we genuinely do not want them here and if they take their money with them that is a price worth paying.

    I am not quite sure what happened with the German banks during the financial crisis, but I'm guessing you have a different culture around banking in your country because no one other than bankers views their departure as anything but a positive here.

  2. #12082
    Quote Originally Posted by ragfan View Post
    You are not helping your case much. Most people in Britain did not want the banks to be bailed out and the more of them leave the better. This is about the worst argument you can make against Brexit. I don't think you understand how much the banks are despised. They are parasites. There is no false bravado here - we genuinely do not want them here and if they take their money with them that is a price worth paying.

    I am not quite sure what happened with the German banks during the financial crisis, but I'm guessing you have a different culture around banking in your country because no one other than bankers views their departure as anything but a positive here.
    I'm not actually having a case, really. I'm just observing something amazing... a country self-destructing in slow motion. It's morbid, I realise that... but I can't look away. It's fascinating how the British will happily do all the wrong decisions because they're too proud and too stubborn to just say... nah, we would like to change our order of one bagful of doomstruction to another bag of the usual... yes, thank you, one times boredom and two times complaining, just like last week, thank you.

    With "the British", I obviously mean your Government, the politicians involved, Brexiteers, analysts and media and assorted fringe groups and anyone else associating themselves with those or giving them support either morally or financially and all the responsible persons that I've not yet mentioned but should really, because some arsehole is going to pick my post apart anyway and so on and so forth... yadda yadda.

    As for the rest... well, it's been nice with you in the EU. Door will be open when you finally sort yourselves out.
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-01-08 at 12:34 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  3. #12083
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...london-ey-says

    Banks, insurers and money managers are planning to move about 800 billion pounds ($1 trillion) of assets from the U.K. to the rest of Europe as Brexit uncertainty takes its toll, according to a survey conducted by EY.
    So...this seems to be going about as well as many expected : /

  4. #12084
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I'm not actually having a case, really. I'm just observing something amazing... a country self-destructing in slow motion. It's morbid, I realise that... but I can't look away. It's fascinating how the British will happily do all the wrong decisions because they're too proud and too stubborn to just say... nah, we would like to change our order of one bagful of doomstruction to another bag of the usual... yes, thank you, one times boredom and two times complaining, just like last week, thank you.

    With "the British", I obviously mean your Government, the politicians involved, Brexiteers, analysts and media and assorted fringe groups and anyone else associating themselves with those or giving them support either morally or financially and all the responsible persons that I've not yet mentioned but should really, because some arsehole is going to pick my post apart anyway and so on and so forth... yadda yadda.

    As for the rest... well, it's been nice with you in the EU. Door will be open when you finally sort yourselves out.
    I'm not sure what your point is but I think you are being too flippant about something which is going to hurt millions of innocent people.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post



    So...this seems to be going about as well as many expected : /
    The sad thing is that the fact you and the media think this is a bad thing is also why remain didn't stand a chance. It was fighting a campaign mostly against itself.

    If we'd had somebody outside the establishment to front the campaign we would have won easily.

  5. #12085
    Quote Originally Posted by ragfan View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is but I think you are being too flippant about something which is going to hurt millions of innocent people.
    Since undoubtedly you'll be back within a day or so under a new name, I'll reply saying... I'm not more flippant than appropriate. Brexiteers asked for this. The Government should have known better. If they draw the ire of the Remainers on them and suffer a few bloody noses, they should consider themselves lucky. Did you not read through this thread? I am serious. This is a nation self-destructing for no actual reason. Just because some people invented some very obvious lies and some other people are bored enough to create some entertainment for themselves. Because that's what this is about. Dribs? He doesn't believe a thing he's said on this forum. Neither do a lot of Brexiteers. What they do think is that all this drama on the internet, among their friends and family and in the news is mighty hilarious. And giving a few politicians in Brussels something to think about is also really funny. Do they have a need for it? No, not at all. Nothing beyond the sport of hating politicians, because that's what British do. This goes for Remainers as well, btw.

    Not sure what's the cause of that. Seeing how British politicians behave in this affair makes me think that animousity is well earned.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  6. #12086
    Looks like the Met could be getting involved in the whole Nazi chant at Anna Soubry.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46789601

  7. #12087
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ragfan View Post
    The sad thing is that the fact you and the media think this is a bad thing is also why remain didn't stand a chance. It was fighting a campaign mostly against itself.

    If we'd had somebody outside the establishment to front the campaign we would have won easily.
    £800 billion leaving the UK as a direct result of Brexit, something which people voted for out of ignorance, isn't a bad thing?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Looks like the Met could be getting involved in the whole Nazi chant at Anna Soubry.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46789601
    Good, they should shut that shit down, we don't have freedom of speech like the yanks do, so lock them up and throw away the key.

  8. #12088
    Herald of the Titans dribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brexitia
    Posts
    2,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    @Pann Can you try and stop derailing the thread? As amusing as the confusion among the British about domestic politics in the UK is, your constant "proving wrong" or "being proven wrong" with wild arguments is a pattern that's been constant for the past 20 or so pages.

    I'm being nice now. I can be arrogant, if you prefer. Apparently, I have a knack for that.

    Edit:

    To get back on topic, let's talk about consequences...

    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/07/i...ets/index.html



    @dribbles: Tick, tock, mate. When exactly did you want to start making a profit from this? You know we'll count this when you later say "Muh, but we made 100 million in buying our own food!"

    Wait, let me guess... you wanted them bankers out anyway, right? Because they're... I don't know, some scummy filth that you don't like. You'll come up with a spin to justify this being a good thing, right? Come on Dribbelino... I have faith in you.
    Apologies, I'm embedded deep behind enemy lines in EU occupied Austria trying to avoid avalanches at the minute.

    It's hard on a mountain on a phone to give you my full attention, however be assured on my return in a few days I will.

    In the meantime for sure the clock is still tick rocking, nothing has changed has it!

  9. #12089
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Apologies, I'm embedded deep behind enemy lines in EU occupied Austria trying to avoid avalanches at the minute.

    It's hard on a mountain on a phone to give you my full attention, however be assured on my return in a few days I will.

    In the meantime for sure the clock is still tick rocking, nothing has changed has it!
    Ah, further evidence that you're full of shit. Hope you enjoy evil Austria, member of the EU cabal, you'll have to pay for visas next time.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  10. #12090
    Dreadlord Nigel Tufnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Apologies, I'm embedded deep behind enemy lines in EU occupied Austria trying to avoid avalanches at the minute.

    It's hard on a mountain on a phone to give you my full attention, however be assured on my return in a few days I will.

    In the meantime for sure the clock is still tick rocking, nothing has changed has it!
    Really? Have you gone skiing?

    How many holidays a year do you take ffs?

    First it was the Caribbean, now you’re yodelling down the slopes of Obergurgl.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

  11. #12091
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Looks like the Met could be getting involved in the whole Nazi chant at Anna Soubry.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46789601
    My initial reaction to this news was Yes! but the sad reality is that any investigation into these morons' behaviour simply plays into their narrative and it won't be long before they are moaning to their audience of knuckle dragging racists, who they exploit for donations, across social media that the system is infringing on their right to free speech.

  12. #12092
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    He didn't. Labour lost.
    May held an early election expecting to expand her majority.

    Not only did the opposite happen, but she lost so many seats she couldn't form a government anymore and had to make a coalition with the DUP. Which not coincidentally is one of the main reasons she is completely unable to deliver on Brexit.

    She played herself and lost. May, the Tories and the entire British media drastically overestimated the popularity of May and underestimated Corbyn's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  13. #12093
    I have to ask, is there a chance May will withdraw the deal from a vote again? There is no indication whatsoever that there is support for it. Her attempt to present it as the only option to No Deal seems to be failing with her opponents either believing in the managed No Deal nonsense or seemingly certain that after this fails she will be forced to call for the referendum.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Which not coincidentally is one of the main reasons she is completely unable to deliver on Brexit.
    I honestly am not sure that is true. It's not like she would have gotten support for a harder Brexit within her party that would forsake the GFA if she had a majority.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

  14. #12094
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I have to ask, is there a chance May will withdraw the deal from a vote again? There is no indication whatsoever that there is support for it. Her attempt to present it as the only option to No Deal seems to be failing with her opponents either believing in the managed No Deal nonsense or seemingly certain that after this fails she will be forced to call for the referendum.
    It is unlikely. In reality it is the only option other than no deal and will remain so until parliament decides there is another a course of action available (such as trying to force a GE, 2nd ref or withdrawing or extending A50) however the majority of MPs seem to be in complete denial that it is this or no deal and simply believe that voting it down will open some kind of magical option that was not available before.

  15. #12095
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    May held an early election expecting to expand her majority.

    Not only did the opposite happen, but she lost so many seats she couldn't form a government anymore and had to make a coalition with the DUP. Which not coincidentally is one of the main reasons she is completely unable to deliver on Brexit.

    She played herself and lost. May, the Tories and the entire British media drastically overestimated the popularity of May and underestimated Corbyn's.
    I wouldn't say they underestimated Corbyn, he's got a very solid base which is sort of Trumpesque (only it's made of students rather than racists and xenophobes), but they definitely overestimated May. The election campaign made it all about her and she was flatly rejected, partly because the only words that came out of her mouth were "strong and stable" but mostly because she decided her hand was so strong she could campaign on a policy to make people pay for care for the elderly by selling their inheritance.

    Yes Corbyn has done better than any Labour leader since Blair but it fails to recognise that the Tory party atm are completely shambolic, and seem to be devoid of MPs that aren't a villain from a saturday morning kids show.

  16. #12096
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    It is unlikely. In reality it is the only option other than no deal and will remain so until parliament decides there is another a course of action available (such as trying to force a GE, 2nd ref or withdrawing or extending A50) however the majority of MPs seem to be in complete denial that it is this or no deal and simply believe that voting it down will open some kind of magical option that was not available before.
    Well they believe they can force May's hand and give them what they want, that is, a People's Vote. That is not magical thinking, that is a calculated action. It is entirely within the power of the administration to call for an extension and to give people a new chance to vote, they just don't want to. May is daring people to jump off the cliff or sign her deal and they are daring her back to jump off a cliff herself or give them a referendum. There is nothing magical about that. If anything the idea that they can go with this deal and then expect in a later date, by May's account before 2021!!!! the EU will find a solution for the border to withdraw the backstop, THAT is magical thinking and that is entirely on May's government.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

  17. #12097
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    I wouldn't say they underestimated Corbyn, he's got a very solid base which is sort of Trumpesque (only it's made of students rather than racists and xenophobes), but they definitely overestimated May. The election campaign made it all about her and she was flatly rejected, partly because the only words that came out of her mouth were "strong and stable" but mostly because she decided her hand was so strong she could on campaign on a policy to make people pay for care for the elderly by selling their inheritance.

    Yes Corbyn has done better than any Labour leader since Blair but it fails to recognise that the Tory party atm are completely shambolic, and seem to be devoid of MPs that aren't a villain from a saturday morning kids show.
    I think this is a fair assessment however I would add that Labour benefited, to some extent, from Tory voters that were unhappy with the Tories' handling of Brexit and the campaign, by Miller and co, that aimed to unseat marginal Tory MPs.

    https://www.ft.com/content/59ba379c-...8-168383da43b7

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well they believe they can force May's hand and give them what they want, that is, a People's Vote. That is not magical thinking, that is a calculated action. It is entirely within the power of the administration to call for an extension and to give people a new chance to vote, they just don't want to. May is daring people to jump off the cliff or sign her deal and they are daring her back to jump off a cliff herself or give them a referendum. There is nothing magical about that. If anything the idea that they can go with this deal and then expect in a later date, by May's account before 2021!!!! the EU will find a solution for the border to withdraw the backstop, THAT is magical thinking and that is entirely on May's government.
    There is little support in parliament for a people's vote at present but of course this might change once May's deal has been voted down.

    But anyway I see you've already made your mind up over what is happening in the UK so there is little point in continuing with this, so I'll bid you good day.

  18. #12098
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Ah, further evidence that you're full of shit. Hope you enjoy evil Austria, member of the EU cabal, you'll have to pay for visas next time.
    The roaming fees will slightly higher than the visa I'm afraid ...

  19. #12099
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    There is little support in parliament for a people's vote at present
    Depends how you define little - there is certainly more support for a people's vote in parliament compared to no deal or May's shitty deal
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-01-08 at 01:51 PM.

  20. #12100
    Parliament is beginning to flex its muscles against a no deal Brexit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46789565 Next week could be very interesting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •