View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The penny is dropping in Germany on Brexit. Today’s @CDU & @CSU Euro-elections manifesto: “We respect the British decision to leave” and seek “good partnership, close cooperation & close trade relations” & want “to come to quick agreements even in a No Deal Brexit

https://twitter.com/GregHands/status...59067997081600

See there are some sensible Germans about. Hurry up eurochums with this agreement, there's some poor sod waiting to do his dissertation...
    Nobody ever disputed what you're getting at. But what still doesn't seem to have found a functioning brain cell in your head is the idea that THE EU IS CALLING THE SHOTS.

Or, in Tweets, because you apparently need short doses of input:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/stat...72801148076032

Barnier in Dublin says that if the UK leaves EU without a deal, “we would not discuss anything with the UK until there is an agreement for Ireland & N Ireland, as well as for citizens rights and the financial settlement”.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    in other news: UK is preparing for EU elections.
    aaaand: Barnier says EU would refuse trade talks with UK after no-deal unless backstop addressed

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    To no one's surprise except Dribbles'.

I think he must be the most blissful person on this planet. Yes, the clue is in the hidden meaning.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

The penny is dropping in Germany on Brexit. Today’s @CDU & @CSU Euro-elections manifesto: “We respect the British decision to leave” and seek “good partnership, close cooperation & close trade relations” & want “to come to quick agreements even in a No Deal Brexit

See there are some sensible Germans about. Hurry up eurochums with this agreement, there's some poor sod waiting to do his dissertation...
    Are you sure your British? Because I was told that the British know the what lip service was and how political talk works.

Also context has a liberal bias it seems,

The EU has been saying that they respect the decision to leave (no matter how idiotic it is) and that they want trading relations with the UK since Article 50 was announced. But the EU will want assurances on Citizens' Rights, the stability of the Irish border and the ability of Parliament to actually ratify anything put to them before starting trade negotiations.

Taken together with what Barnier said in Dublin this afternoon, in essence the UK will be forced into signing the WA after leaving with no deal, if the UK wants a trade deal. Or the WA will become the basis for the trade deal.

So the UK either signs the WA before the 12th April, or before trade deal talks begin. Either way, that agreement is being signed by the UK. The only way the UK can avoid signing it, is to not leave at all.

In other news, the legal order for returning officers to prepare for EU elections and notify candidates of the "signing up" deadline of will be issued by the Cabinet on Wednesday, according to emails that were sent out today. With the issuing of that order, the UK is obliged by law to hold EU elections under the not-yet-repealed European Parliament (Representation) Act 2003, unless it leaves the EU before then.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/stat...13921798418432

Oh, and Letwin-Cooper has passed through the Lords with only minimal amendments.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-04-08 at 09:08 PM.

So Cash and Baker are trying to tack banning EU elections from happening onto Letwin/Cooper, when the Government announced that they will happen this morning (and now there is a legal obligation for the government to follow through with them).

Edit: Cash/Baker 2 defeated 85 : 392
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-04-08 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by falthwalthar View Post
    Never seen much evidence of Russian involvement. Putin is obviously willing and capable of it, but all I've seen so far is scaremongering bullshit from the states.
    You don't get out much, do you? Russian interference in the elections of 2016 has been pretty much confirmed by now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    So Cash and Baker are trying to tack banning EU elections from happening onto Letwin/Cooper, when the Government announced that they will happen this morning (and now there is a legal obligation for the government to follow through with them).

Edit: Cash/Baker 2 defeated 85 : 392
    That was pretty much bound to happen. It pretty much aimed at being a law to break EU law (which as of now is still applicable to the UK). Even had it gone through, the courts would have tossed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    That was pretty much bound to happen. It pretty much aimed at being a law to break EU law (which as of now is still applicable to the UK). Even had it gone through, the courts would have tossed it.
    Yeah, those two amendments by Cash and Baker were purely filibustering under pretense.

I suspect Barnier's comment regarding the Backstop still being a thing in case of a no-deal, is to rein in the notion that the UK could simply choose no-deal and then go back to the negotiating table and have WA without the hated Backstop.

The point that any trade deal with the EU will effectively include the WA - backstop included (short of The Troubles 2.0 in full force) - is something that the Leavers should probably just accept.

Letwin-Cooper has passed both the Commons and the Lords and is now to be granted Royal Assent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibblewink View Post
    I suspect Barnier's comment regarding the Backstop still being a thing in case of a no-deal, is to rein in the notion that the UK could simply choose no-deal and then go back to the negotiating table and have WA without the hated Backstop.

The point that any trade deal with the EU will effectively include the WA - backstop included (short of The Troubles 2.0 in full force) - is something that the Leavers should probably just accept.
    The thing that Brexiteers have to realise is really simple:

1. The EU will protect its outer borders.
    2. If you want to penetrate those, you will abide by EU rules and regulations.

Deal or not deal, those are the terms. Those are non-negotiable. At any time under any circumstances. The Troubles was a very local problem. It does not affect the EU. It affects the RoI in a minor way. The EU will not budge on this, certainly not under the pressure of terrorism. Whoever thought the backstop would go away in a no-deal scenario has not paid attention to why the backstop was brought up in the first place.

To anyone still fancying those fantasies... remember this, the EU walked out on the US and never looked back. If you think the UK can force the EU into a deal the EU doesn't want... dream on.

The UK is not going to dictate any agreements, at this point you're in the hands of Ireland; they get to veto any agreement made with the UK.

The UK chose to leave, don't act like a screaming kid in a candy shop 1 week later, you can get in line with countries like Turkey.

Parliament was in danger of being too constructive this week so May is off on her jollies once again to waste another day. I figure she must like hanging out with Merkel because there isn't any reason to be talking with her today when we know she will be voting in favour of extension. Maybe it's for a pep talk before she has to deal with Macron who by all rights will be telling to fuck off.

In case you weren't keeping up with the UKs internal negotiations then May hasn't moved, won't drop her red lines, won't agree to a CU and seems to think that people care about the Political Declaration when it's worth jack shit because she won't be PM for the next phase and the next Tory PM can just rip it up.

I hope Merkel and Macron spend the day hauling the silly bitch over the coals. Maybe brief meetings where they just yell at her to get the fuck out and get back into the HoC where she might actually achieve something.
    Last edited by Kronik85; 2019-04-09 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Parliament was in danger of being too constructive this week so May is off on her jollies once again to waste another day. I figure she must like hanging out with Merkel because there isn't any reason to be talking with her today when we know she will be voting in favour of extension. Maybe it's for a pep talk before she has to deal with Macron who by all rights will be telling to fuck off.

In case you weren't keeping up with the UKs internal negotiations then May hasn't moved, won't drop her red lines, won't agree to a CU and seems to think that people care about the Political Declaration when it's worth jack shit because she won't be PM for the next phase and the next Tory PM can just rip it up.

I hope Merkel and Macron spend the day hauling the silly bitch over the coals. Maybe brief meetings where they just about at her to get the fuck out and get back into the HoC where she might actually achieve something.
    I'm abit amazed at just how incompetent she is.

When she first asked for an extension to 30th of June, she should have realised that the UK would need to hold EP elections in May, apparently she didn't; now that she finally does, she suggests some abomination of a sham election.

Her plan to hold elections and then leave on 30th of June, means that there won't be any serious candidates running for the UK; who'd run on a "not gonna get in anyway" future. Voters won't give a shit either since it's just a "procedure" election; in the event (read most likekly), that the UK will ask for a long extension, the EP will have candidates from a country who'd rather not be there, elected by pepole who thought it didnt matter.

I have a hard time seeing the EU accepting any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    I'm abit amazed at just how incompetent she is.

When she first asked for an extension to 30th of June, she should have realised that the UK would need to hold EP elections in May, apparently she didn't; now that she finally does, she suggests some abomination of a sham election.

Her plan to hold elections and then leave on 30th of June, means that there won't be any serious candidates running for the UK; who'd run on a "not gonna get in anyway" future. Voters won't give a shit either since it's just a "procedure" election; in the event (read most likekly), that the UK will ask for a long extension, the EP will have candidates from a country who'd rather not be there, elected by pepole who thought it didnt matter.

I have a hard time seeing the EU accepting any of this.
    May's letter requesting an extension until 30th June very clearly states that whilst it is not in the interests of the UK or the EU for the UK to take part in the EU elections preparations are taking place to hold EU elections. So I cannot work out where you have conjured up this idea, that she, or anyone in the UK government, (even if they are this clueless it has been reported in the news and everything) did not realise that an extension until 30th June would require UK participation in the upcoming European elections, from.

It might have escaped your notice that in general UK voters have never really given a shit about European elections.

May's choice has always been for a as short as possible extension (the less time available to parliament, the more likely it is that she can force her deal through) and it has been the EU suggesting a long extension (although it seems as if Macron has now put pay to this suggestion) so, again, I don't know why you've come to the conclusion that the UK will ask for a long extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    May's letter requesting an extension until 30th June very clearly states that whilst it is not in the interests of the UK or the EU for the UK to take part in the EU elections preparations are taking place to hold EU elections. So I cannot work out where you have conjured up this idea, that she, or anyone in the UK government, (even if they are this clueless it has been reported in the news and everything) did not realise that an extension until 30th June would require UK participation in the upcoming European elections, from.

It might have escaped your notice that in general UK voters have never really given a shit about European elections.

May's choice has always been for a as short as possible extension (the less time available to parliament, the more likely it is that she can force her deal through) and it has been the EU suggesting a long extension (although it seems as if Macron has now put pay to this suggestion) so, again, I don't know why you've come to the conclusion that the UK will ask for a long extension.
    Beggars can't be choosers.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...et-says-berlin

“It’s groundhog day again,” he [Germany’s EU affairs minister Michael Roth] said. “Unfortunately I have to say that the conditions the European council has decided on in its last meeting have not been met. This means time will run out on 12 April.”

Deal or not deal, those are the terms. Those are non-negotiable. At any time under any circumstances. The Troubles was a very local problem. It does not affect the EU. It affects the RoI in a minor way. The EU will not budge on this, certainly not under the pressure of terrorism. Whoever thought the backstop would go away in a no-deal scenario has not paid attention to why the backstop was brought up in the first place.
    This is the latest in a very long list of dumb Slant posts and somehow manages to top all the others (WHY DON'T THEY JUST SUE GOOGLE!!!!!!!!!). But for the seriousness of the subject matter I'd assume you were a comedian trying some weird form of conceptual humour.

The IRA was not a "local problem". It was the key link in a transnational terror movement that spread across Europe and beyond, with links to ETA, the PLO and Libya. Yes, even to Germany, the Baader-Meinhof group were directly inspired by the provos. The IRA may be "our" problem but it will very quickly become yours.

You really should just stop commenting on anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post

I’m talking about the the idea that was on the board before she was told that 22nd May was as far as it would become, this was back in March.

It might come as a surprise for you, but I could care less about the UK’s self-absorbed view on EP elections. However had you paid attention to them in the past, there’s a good chance your country would not rush google with “what’s the EU” after the brexit referendum. Apparently voting in the blind is common in the UK.

You’ll get a long extension or none at all.
    Last edited by Crispin; 2019-04-09 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by walftarf View Post
    This is the latest in a very long list of dumb Slant posts and somehow manages to top all the others (WHY DON'T THEY JUST SUE GOOGLE!!!!!!!!!). But for the seriousness of the subject matter I'd assume you were a comedian trying some weird form of conceptual humour.

The IRA was not a "local problem". It was the key link in a transnational terror movement that spread across Europe and beyond, with links to ETA, the PLO and Libya. Yes, even to Germany, the Baader-Meinhof group were directly inspired by the provos. The IRA may be "our" problem but it will very quickly become yours.

You really should just stop commenting on anything at all.
    Nothing of what you just said changes anything. Exaggerating the Troubles into a pan-European problem is not going to work.

I mean you say this but can the EU really handle another round of May asking to reopen the WA again and again and again and again.....

I honestly doubt the EU can outmatch the greatest PM of well....ever.