View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #16101
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Rather, the UK has 6 more months to kick the can down the road and bring May's Deal back to a vote in early October.
    .More like the UK has 6 months to work out how it can kick the can even further down the road in 6 months time.

    As for who lied during the referendum, does it matter? If either side cheated, regardless outcome, the result should be void.

  2. #16102
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    22,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    I don't know how does length of particular rule affects one's understanding of democratic processes; clearly you think that matters, could you show your reasoning behind it?

    Maybe we should dismiss all German opinions until they replaced Merkel?
    It's not so much length of particular rule, but length of particular ruler. Considering you argue that vorting for parliament is meaningless I guessed that comes from your national meaningless parliament which of course is not the same in every country (in that it is meaningless).

    Now I also thought you would understand the jokingly point I was making but you doubled down on it and made fun of your own argument in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

  3. #16103
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    It's not so much length of particular rule, but length of particular ruler.
    So, you keep avoiding the answer - should we exclude German opinions because of Merkel's uninterrupted ~14 year reign (which is quite comparable to Putin's ~13 years as President)? Is that somehow taints their understanding of democracy like it does for Russians? You haven't shown mechanism by which you suppose that works.

    Because i could make certain generalizations between Germans and Russians to support such viewpoint, but i'm not sure if that's your angle. Like "it's just consensus by majority that this particular figure is best, that's why they win every time" (and so might their "chosen successors"). With trust in them being built up (and eroded) by their actions and being better then predecessors.

    Considering you argue that vorting for parliament is meaningless I guessed that comes from your national meaningless parliament which of course is not the same in every country (in that it is meaningless).
    We were talking about "EU democracy", not national democracy though. Voting for European Parliament? Yes, as far as i see largely meaningless - EP is far too removed from their constituents, and results of their votes sometimes take longer to reach them then electoral cycle.

    That's why voters show such apathy to those elections compared to national elections, and some pretty odd figures get voted in (like Farage).

    And it has nothing to do with length of particular ruler's reign.

    Now I also thought you would understand the jokingly point I was making but you doubled down on it and made fun of your own argument in the process.
    I think you imagined argument that i didn't even make.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2019-04-12 at 06:50 AM.

  4. #16104
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Er... did you forget that was the year the referendum was held? It doesn't seem reasonable to you that an article from that time would be linked?

    No? Ok then just take it from me, that article is timeless.
    I'm confused, did the UK leave the EU yet?

  5. #16105
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Will it ever? Inquiring minds want to know! "Tick Tock" was changed to "Trick or Treat!" apparently.
    I keep being reminded of that British EU diplomat telling Barnier to just keep extending until the idea of Brexit sort of just... fades away in the background noise of the royals getting babies, something something Premiership or FA cup and GoT madness... and once they get to see the next season of Dr. Who, they can argue about how bad Whittaker is and how good Capaldid was (whom they hated back then, because he wasn't Matt Smith... apparently, this is a cycle that goes back all the way to the first doctor). See, you've all but stopped thinking about Brexit by the end of this paragraph, haven't you?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  6. #16106
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,435
    Even if you dislike the extension, let's be honest here and something the Brits will learn over time.

    The EU is not in favour of doing this for any other reason but to ensure a smooth and painless transition from UK businesses and industries to the mainland in addition to ensuring there's not a massive issue with UK residents living on the mainland and getting their pension and what not in addition to EU citizens living in the UK and maintaining their rights.

    The UK has already lost in this battle, they simple aren't aware of it yet. Let them boycott elections, send more trolls to the EU parliament who's interest is only to serve their own bank account and who don't care or simply aren't aware of all the things in motion. Cause squandering that last bit of good will from EU side will do miracles for the UK in the long run, if we are even speaking of an united kingdom a decade from now, which i doubt.

  7. #16107
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I honestly have no idea what I should be rooting for at this point. I wanted the EU to take a harder stance but at the same time that just gives food to the far right. I expect nothing from the UK, their politicians are useless and the people just don't care enough. Imo they should have given the UK a June 30 extension with the prospect of a futher extension if they participated in elections at that point so as to appear helpful and then just decline a further extension after the EU elections so as to mitigate the damage but still let them finally leave and let us alone.
    I'm not the biggest fan of the extension. This is just prolonging the inevitable. They will crash out eventually, if only because of their incompetence to recognize their role in this. There's nothing for them left to debate, yet they still cling to the fantasy that whatever they debate in the HoC actually matters at this stage. It doesn't.

    From a practical point of view, businesses will be happy about this. And that's always good. I suspect the EU will focus on the election now, the main topic... are you pro EU or EU sceptic? I wish it wasn't overshadowed by Brexit and we can discuss real topics like do you want an EU defense force or not? More reform or less? More integration or less? Those are all big and important questions, but Brexit is going to condense all of that down to pro-EU or EU sceptic? Which is a bit unfortunate, but it is what it is.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  8. #16108
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I honestly have no idea what I should be rooting for at this point. I wanted the EU to take a harder stance but at the same time that just gives food to the far right.
    Exactly why Brexit needs all the extensions it can get - so it can end with a whimper.

  9. #16109
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I disagree that business should be happy. The extension solves nothing. It just prolongs uncertainty and keeps delaying investment. Better to take the damage and then let business decide how they want to invest. Even the damage itself will be an opportunity for investment. But just waiting means we are mainly seeing increased stocks and accumulated cash flows and in essence, utility taken out of society to prepare for the inevitable shock.
    Well, I meant the people working at businesses. I know the contacts I deal with pretty much signed with relief. On Wednesday they didn't know what was going to happen today. So for them it's a bit of a breather. But you're right of course, it doesn't solve anything and we'll have the same tension in fall. I agree, this was the wrong decision.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  10. #16110
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    I'm confused, did the UK leave the EU yet?
    Yes and Half Life 3 is on Steam.

  11. #16111
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Even that is not a relief; at ANY given day the UK can choose to break this extension and leave.
    Yeah, but I think it's safe to assume that it won't happen on a moment's notice.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  12. #16112
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    22,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Why are you helping him derail? Seriously, ask him for turnip recipes in PMs if you have to.
    Because I was bored and wanted to have a laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

  13. #16113
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Yeah, but I think it's safe to assume that it won't happen on a moment's notice.
    My partner works in logistics for a steel company, she had a very boring start to the week with everyone waiting to set up deliveries into Europe; and now as expected they've got to smash through a weeks work in 2 days, but hey, at least it's still moving.
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Seriously guys, this forum would be a better place if everyone just stopped acknowledging Zenkai. It's just demeaning to everyone.

  14. #16114
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    My partner works in logistics for a steel company, she had a very boring start to the week with everyone waiting to set up deliveries into Europe; and now as expected they've got to smash through a weeks work in 2 days, but hey, at least it's still moving.
    We're lucky in that we're a bit insulatead from normal market rules. We can't just stop doing stuff for a while. We'll be one of the few that plough through whatever is coming whenever it's coming.

    And the incompetence of some British companies is really much worse than anything a no-deal could do. Put it this way, disruption of service due to British "business practices" are normal. Brexit? Wouldn't change all that much, tbh. Main reason for people cancelling orders is unrealiability of service, not Brexit.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  15. #16115
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    We're lucky in that we're a bit insulatead from normal market rules. We can't just stop doing stuff for a while. We'll be one of the few that plough through whatever is coming whenever it's coming.

    And the incompetence of some British companies is really much worse than anything a no-deal could do. Put it this way, disruption of service due to British "business practices" are normal. Brexit? Wouldn't change all that much, tbh. Main reason for people cancelling orders is unrealiability of service, not Brexit.
    Well, I mean, it's a Spanish company but I get what you're saying
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Seriously guys, this forum would be a better place if everyone just stopped acknowledging Zenkai. It's just demeaning to everyone.

  16. #16116
    Farage's new vanity project is off to a good start!

    https://thebrexitparty.com/

  17. #16117
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Really? Take your blinkers off matey...
    The irony is immense...

  18. #16118
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Farage's new vanity project is off to a good start!

    https://thebrexitparty.com/
    People choosing not clicking this link because Farage is a boring racist turd - you might enjoy it

  19. #16119
    Titan draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    13,238
    I applaud anyone who replies to Dribbles' garbage.

    Brexit Party website is a hoot.

  20. #16120
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    People choosing not clicking this link because Farage is a boring racist turd - you might enjoy it
    Not gonna lie I was apprehensive
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Seriously guys, this forum would be a better place if everyone just stopped acknowledging Zenkai. It's just demeaning to everyone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •