View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    What's the purpose of such a long extension, do you know that?
    Basically if they are going to give an extension long enough that elections would be required for the EU parliament they are not going to want some wanker who goes in throws bombs for a few weeks and leaves. If this gets extended then its going to have to be extended for a long enough time to make the whole election thing with UK people running worth the bother.

Clause 4 just got smashed. Ayes 105 noes 509

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I don't. I suspect, however, that Government hopes the credibility of the bilateral talks between the government and the Leader of the Opposition (plus shadow cabinet) that are happening now and the acceptance of participation in the elections going along with a commitment to a longer delay (supported by both government and opposition) will persuade the EUCO to grant the extension.
    (Just as an aside, there is also a EU Commission, so that abbreviation isn't ideal... is it official?)

My gut feeling says this extension isn't going to happen. Either the UK calls GE or a second referendum before April 10th (the Council summit) or it will get rejected. Certainly the referendum seems to be out of the question for the Commons. I think the Council made it quite clear that they will not even discuss an extension for any other reasons, certainly not for more of May's domestic political games, the success rates of which have been abysmal so far.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

(Just as an aside, there is also a EU Commission, so that abbreviation isn't ideal... is it official?)

My gut feeling says this extension isn't going to happen. Either the UK calls GE or a second referendum before April 10th (the Council summit) or it will get rejected. Certainly the referendum seems to be out of the question for the Commons. I think the Council made it quite clear that they will not even discuss an extension for any other reasons, certainly not for more of May's domestic political games, the success rates of which have been abysmal so far.
    Donald Tusk's official twitter (the one for the office of the President of the European Council) is @eucopresident - I assumed it was.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Basically if they are going to give an extension long enough that elections would be required for the EU parliament they are not going to want some wanker who goes in throws bombs for a few weeks and leaves. If this gets extended then its going to have to be extended for a long enough time to make the whole election thing with UK people running worth the bother.
    There are voices, among which is the deputy chief negotiator for the EU (Verhofstadt), that quite rightly point out that the EU wouldn't do itself a favour in tolerating people like Farage much longer if the point of this whole debacle is for them to leave anyway. I don't see it happening. On April 10th, you'll see another Salzburg, this time a final one. I'm pretty sure of it. Macron isn't a happy bunny at all at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Donald Tusk's official twitter is @eucopresident - I assumed it was.
    It may be, I wasn't aware of it. It is an ambiguous abbreviation, but fuck knows what they do in Brussels... haha.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.

It may be, I wasn't aware of it. It is an ambiguous abbreviation, but fuck knows what they do in Brussels... haha.
    Knowing the EU, it probably went through 5 deliberating committees and bureaucrats' offices before it was decided, so maybe?

Bill passes to second reading by 313 to 312. Majority of one.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-04-03 at 10:27 PM.

Knowing the EU, it probably went through 5 deliberating committees and bureaucrats' offices before it was decided, so maybe?

Bill passes to second reading by 313 to 312. Majority of one.
    So... this is the one that instructs the PM to ask for an extension? Oh nevermind, it's another vote to prevent no-deal. This is so confusing.

So... this is the one that instructs the PM to ask for an extension? Oh nevermind, it's another vote to prevent no-deal. This is so confusing.
    It would formally remove the "leaving date" from the Withdrawal Act and require the PM to ask for an extension if no deal is reached, if I understand the text correctly.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-04-03 at 10:46 PM.

It would formally remove the "leaving date" from the Withdrawal Act and require the PM to ask for an extension if no deal is reached, if I understand the text correctly.
    Ah, ok so I got the gist of it correctly from the bits and pieces I saw on the livestream. Well, well, the May/Corbyn talks haven't been fruitful. It's only 6 days (until the summit, i.e. last date to ask the EU). They better start becoming constructive.

Ah, ok so I got the gist of it correctly from the bits and pieces I saw on the livestream. Well, well, the May/Corbyn talks haven't been fruitful. It's only 6 days (until the summit, i.e. last date to ask the EU). They better start becoming constructive.
    They haven't ended in a fist-fight yet, so we live yet in hope. Last time they were over before they really started. The noises coming from the cabinet office are that Theresa has said it is her deal (or a version of it) or no brexit to the cabinet. She may also have realized that even if she can blackmail the DUP and ERG into voting for the deal she still won't have enough votes.

By the 9th they'll probably have decided to put the choice between remaining and the may deal with temporary membership of the customs union until a free trade agreement has been agreed upon to the public, with a bipartisan three line whip to get it over the line.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-04-03 at 11:26 PM.

The ERG got a hell of a bloodied nose tonight, despite their best efforts to filibuster and sink the biĺl.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    The ERG got a hell of a bloodied nose tonight, despite their best efforts to filibuster and sink the biĺl.
    Bill Cash's attempt at sabotage (requiring Scotland, NI and Wales to agree) wasn't even put to a vote. I'm assuming the Deputy Speaker decided the amendment was posted in bad faith, given how Stormont is currently suspended pending Sinn Fein, the DUP and UUP coming back to speaking terms with each other.

Bill Cash's attempt at sabotage (requiring Scotland, NI and Wales to agree) wasn't even put to a vote. I'm assuming the Deputy Speaker decided the amendment was posted in bad faith, given how Stormont is currently suspended pending Sinn Fein, the DUP and UUP coming back to speaking terms with each other.
    It's all down to the DUP. They have what they want really right now with home rule and them holding the crown in westminster. Until the next general election there's going to be no change. UUP and Sinn Fein are willing to talk to each other. UUP also have been talking with SDLP to the point they're not going to run against each other if their agreement goes through in an effort to break DUP (and lesser extent Sinn Fein.)

They haven't ended in a fist-fight yet, so we live yet in hope. Last time they were over before they really started. The noises coming from the cabinet office are that Theresa has said it is her deal (or a version of it) or no brexit to the cabinet. She may also have realized that even if she can blackmail the DUP and ERG into voting for the deal she still won't have enough votes.

By the 9th they'll probably have decided to put the choice between remaining and the may deal with temporary membership of the customs union until a free trade agreement has been agreed upon to the public, with a bipartisan three line whip to get it over the line.
    I doubt they'll ever call a referendum again.

In other news: Anyone remember when Dribs bragged about the UK economy growing while the EU is "crumbling" or whatever it is he said?

Yeah, the IMF disagrees...

One more and the UK will be out of the G7. Did we mention leaving the EU would lose the UK influence? Well, even I didn't anticipate the UK to take it this fucking literal...

- - - Updated - - -

That one dude... he got a wig on, doesn't he? I swear, it must be a wig or the worst hairdo in history. And that's despite his silly attempt at wasting everyone's time with more of Dribs' drivel. I swear, everytime people like him talk, I want to go into the actual House of Commons and explain to them how the EU works. Drives me insane.

A few others also weren't picked up, both the PV and 2R were also non starters.

Also Slant, you'll have to be a bit more precise than "that one dude"

A few others also weren't picked up, both the PV and 2R were also non starters.

Also Slant, you'll have to be a bit more precise than "that one dude"
    Dude, I can't remember all those names.

But he was asked by the Deputy Speaker lady to hurry the fuck up and he said nope, not gonna.

Dude, I can't remember all those names.

But he was asked by the Deputy Speaker lady to hurry the fuck up and he said nope, not gonna.
    Oh, Sir Bill Cash.

Yeah he knows how to ramble on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    The UK does have a clear plan for what they want to do with an extension. They plan to use it to negotiate another extension.
    Rinse and repeat for a few decades until everyone forgets about Brexit.

After all of today it seemed that lost in the commotion that May lost at least 2 more ministers.

Then again May losing ministers at this point we just call Wednesday.

Also I guess this has to be asked but do we even have a government anymore? I mean legally we do but it seems like every day the commons is getting more against May with either resignations from the party or from a minister post that on the face of it Cooper and Letwin could be considered more of a PM than May by winning a vote in the commons.
    Last edited by Kallisto; 2019-04-04 at 02:28 AM.

The Commission is the EC.

Also it is very clear why May wants an extension:
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2019-04-04 at 07:23 AM.
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!