View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #17461
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    I’m talking about the the idea that was on the board before she was told that 22nd May was as far as it would become, this was back in March.

    It might come as a surprise for you, but I could care less about the UK’s self-absorbed view on EP elections. However had you paid attention to them in the past, there’s a good chance your country would not rush google with “what’s the EU” after the brexit referendum. Apparently voting in the blind is common in the UK.

    You’ll get a long extension or none at all.
    Anyone who follows Brexit in the UK, which I assume includes May and her advisers, has known since the idea of an extension was first floated that any extension past the reconvening of the European Parliament would require the UK's participation in the elections. Therefore your point is inaccurate.

    Ooh! Get you!

    Seeing as short extension has already been granted this last point is also incorrect.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    I mean you say this but can the EU really handle another round of May asking to reopen the WA again and again and again and again.....

    I honestly doubt the EU can outmatch the greatest PM of well....ever.
    In fairness May has stated time and time again that the WA cannot and will not be reopened, it is the hard of thinking, like Leadsome, who can't seem to grasp this concept.

  2. #17462
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Anyone who follows Brexit in the UK, which I assume includes May and her advisers, has known since the idea of an extension was first floated that any extension past the reconvening of the European Parliament would require the UK's participation in the elections. Therefore your point is inaccurate.

    Ooh! Get you!

    Seeing as short extension has already been granted this last point is also incorrect.
    Back to semantics, are we? Obviously he's talking about a new extension, not the one you're already in. May 22nd is out of the question, because you have made zero progress on the conditions needed for May 22nd. April 12th ends this Friday, and you're very likely to have the game end there and then. Any longer than that requires the UK to take part in the democratic process of the EP, ironic isn't it. Once that's established, the EU doesn't have a pressing time limit for extensions they need to observe. They could extend Brexit until the next EP election in 5 years if they wanted to.

    Apparently we get used to everything... :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  3. #17463
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Nothing of what you just said changes anything. Exaggerating the Troubles into a pan-European problem is not going to work.
    Did you ever consider that maybe it would be a good idea to stop typing when you are clearly out of your knowledge base, and intellectual depth?

    The IRA created the modern concept of guerrila warfare. Every terrorist on the planet is to a large extent imitating the IRA's playbook. It has links to other terror organizations which could fill volumes. These are facts any one can check by googling.

    Your attempt to score points and place your own petty short-term parochial interests over those of much more important core issues regarding national security indicates the essential shallowness and superficiality of your character.
    Last edited by walftarf; 2019-04-09 at 11:39 AM.

  4. #17464
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Nah, I'm saying her options are the long extension that might be offered, or a sudden stop this Friday. It all depends on tomorrow. And May will have another 1-2h of grilling before the Council asks her to leave and then you'll see actual power unfold as the EU with one voice decides on the fate of the UK. Right now, the UK is a passenger. And they will take whatever they're given. The EU, still trying to be the good guy, will try to find another magical solution, but honestly... I think everyone's running out of bright ideas by now.

    Personally, I hate the idea of a long extension. I think most of us do. I don't know why Merkel keeps supporting May's cause like that. I think it's pity as well as German business interests. It's going to be a rough ride for Germany. No, Dribbles, we're not going to crumble... I swear, it's impossible to have an honest, decent discussion on here.
    Yes but if you reopen the WA agreement, drop this absurd commitment to the 4 pillars that underpin the EU and then agree to give us a fantastic trade deal where the UK gets to keep all the economic benefits of the EU then the ERG will stop being mean to her.

    Bloody EU intransigence.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    In fairness May has stated time and time again that the WA cannot and will not be reopened, it is the hard of thinking, like Leadsome, who can't seem to grasp this concept.
    I'm pretty sure Leadsom may be May's homunculus, listening to her in the Commons evokes the same mix of dread and frustration I get whenever May opens her mouth.

  5. #17465
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    FTFY. No offense, it's beginning to turn into a pet peeve of mine and you just triggered my OCD.
    OCD is a serious mental condition. You can't function normally as a person with OCD, it is a horrifi life-destroying condition.

    People who say they have OCD because they like to keep their bedroom tidy deserve a special place in hell.

  6. #17466
    Quote Originally Posted by walftarf View Post
    Did you ever consider that maybe it would be a good idea to stop typing when you are clearly out of your knowledge base, and intellectual depth?

    The IRA created the modern concept of guerrila warfare. Every terrorist on the planet is to a large extent imitating the IRA's playbook. It has links to other terror organizations which could fill volumes. These are facts any one can check by googling.

    Your attempt to score points and place your own petty short-term parochial interests over those of much more important core issues regarding national security indicates the essential shallowness and superficiality of your character.
    LOL, all those big words... and still zero content. Did you have fun with the dictionary at least?

    I always think it's sad how people like you try to romanticise domestic terrorism. There is nothing great about the IRA. There is no honour in all of it. And certainliy, they didn't write the playbook. Look up Che Guevara. And once more, this will be my last post to you for the day, as you have exhausted the limited attention I deem you worthy for.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Yes but if you reopen the WA agreement, drop this absurd commitment to the 4 pillars that underpin the EU and then agree to give us a fantastic trade deal where the UK gets to keep all the economic benefits of the EU then the ERG will stop being mean to her.

    Bloody EU intransigence.
    I know, I know... in all honesty, we're just doing this because we want to see how far you'd go. So far, it's pretty entertaining. Next week, we'll have Theresa dance in a pink tutu (that is a type of ballet dress I believe, spelling my be wrong) on the table of barnier to the song of 2Pac's "Hit 'em up!"

    Obviously, we'll tape it and keep it for a later date. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  7. #17467
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Well dang I’m going to hell a non tidied unorganised bedroom is disgusting remember to have the night time books you read alphabetised by author surname.
    Personally, I do it by genre and book size. My shelf needs to look good. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  8. #17468
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Anyone who follows Brexit in the UK, which I assume includes May and her advisers, has known since the idea of an extension was first floated that any extension past the reconvening of the European Parliament would require the UK's participation in the elections. Therefore your point is inaccurate.

    Ooh! Get you!

    Seeing as short extension has already been granted this last point is also incorrect.

    - - - Updated - - -



    In fairness May has stated time and time again that the WA cannot and will not be reopened, it is the hard of thinking, like Leadsome, who can't seem to grasp this concept.
    The talk about an extension till 30th June to implement mays deal, if it passed the 3rd vote had no mention of an EP election. And honestly drop the childish gotcha rhetoric.

    As seen in this article, May’s later had no mention of the EP election for the suggested June extension. Her lack of knowledge of the requirement of all EU members to hold elections was pathetic.

    https://www.politico.eu/article/ther...until-june-30/
    Last edited by Crispin; 2019-04-09 at 12:43 PM.

  9. #17469
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    The talk about an extension till 30th June to implement mays deal, if it passed the 3rd vote had no mention of an EP election. And honestly drop the childish gotcha rhetoric.
    That is not correct. May's request to extend A50 until 30th June acknowledged that UK would have to hold elections if it was still a member when the parliament reconvened. If her deal was passed and the UK left the EU before this date of course there would no need for the UK to take part in the elections. I would suggest that you look up was requested before commenting further.

    Considering your points were incorrect and your reaction resulted insults towards the UK when I pointed this out I suggest that you look closer to home.

  10. #17470
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Personally, I do it by genre and book size. My shelf needs to look good. :P
    Try sorting them by color

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Back to semantics, are we? Obviously he's talking about a new extension, not the one you're already in. May 22nd is out of the question, because you have made zero progress on the conditions needed for May 22nd. April 12th ends this Friday, and you're very likely to have the game end there and then. Any longer than that requires the UK to take part in the democratic process of the EP, ironic isn't it. Once that's established, the EU doesn't have a pressing time limit for extensions they need to observe. They could extend Brexit until the next EP election in 5 years if they wanted to.

    Apparently we get used to everything... :P
    For a long extension I expect the council to ask for some sort of guarantees/commitment that the UK gvt will abstain to vote on decisions like the budget, Multiannual financial framework and other policies aimed at shaping the future of the EU.

  11. #17471
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    As seen in this article, May’s later had no mention of the EP election for the suggested June extension. Her lack of knowledge of the requirement of all EU members to hold elections was pathetic.

    https://www.politico.eu/article/ther...until-june-30/
    Her first letter had no mention of the EU elections as the specific point of the extension was to pass her deal and ratify the needed legislation, with the intention to leave as soon as possible and should the all of the extension be needed the requested June 30th deadline is before the parliament reconvenes on 2nd July. The fact the elections have not been mentioned does not mean that she is unaware of their existence or that member states must take part and quite frankly that is a bizarre conclusion to come to.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-04-09 at 01:06 PM.

  12. #17472
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    May is flying to Berlin and Paris to beg at the moment.

    Macron and Merkel should slam the gates in her face unless she agrees to a new referendum in exchange for an Article 50 extension.
    Won't happen.

  13. #17473
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Won't happen.
    'Wont happen' is ironically the mantra in regards to anything and everything even remotely related to the Brexit spectacle.

  14. #17474
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    'Wont happen' is ironically the mantra in regards to anything and everything even remotely related to the Brexit spectacle.
    It is ironic.

    The fact is that is EU needs a relationship with Britain in some form or another, it (here EU is synonymous with Germany) has no interest to alienate a massive importer.

  15. #17475
    Over 9000! ringpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Silk Road
    Posts
    9,142
    Quote Originally Posted by falthwalthar View Post
    I'd drop that line of reasoning. You'd never get most of the posters here to admit that the billions of dollars spent manufacturing consent has any effect because then they'd have to acknowledge that you'd get a permanent majority supporting policies far to the left of Corbyn or Saunders. No one votes for Tory/Blairite policies in a vacuum, it requires a huge amount of brainwashing to get people to vote against their own interests.

    So, no, brexit was just about racism obviously.
    There is an argument to be made that one of the prime drivers of Brexit is the creation of an offshore financial center (many of which already operate under their own forks of the British legal system), which (unlike the current crop of OFCs) will have a nuclear arsenal and a Security Council veto (many of the worst offenders, listed on the recently-compiled EU list of non-cooperative jurisdictions don't even possess full sovereignty). Cracking down on tax havens is slowly growing in popularity in the US and the EU, catering to tax avoidance has been speculated to be a motivation (albeit not a popularly publicized one) behind Brexit.

    Was EU Tax Evasion Regulation The Reason For The Brexit Referendum

    Brexit and the future of tax havens
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

  16. #17476
    Quote Originally Posted by walftarf View Post
    OCD is a serious mental condition. You can't function normally as a person with OCD, it is a horrifi life-destroying condition.

    People who say they have OCD because they like to keep their bedroom tidy deserve a special place in hell.
    As with all things there is a spectrum. I know a guy who you would look at and think they are not OCD or not that OCD but things like keeping the bedroom tidy are big enough issues that it cost him two marriages.

  17. #17477
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    That is not correct. May's request to extend A50 until 30th June acknowledged that UK would have to hold elections if it was still a member when the parliament reconvened. If her deal was passed and the UK left the EU before this date of course there would no need for the UK to take part in the elections. I would suggest that you look up was requested before commenting further.

    Considering your points were incorrect and your reaction resulted insults towards the UK when I pointed this out I suggest that you look closer to home.
    Could you provide something that confirms your claim? My starting point was that going beyond the EP election (the 23rd May) would require the U.K. to participate in the election, if they did not, any citizen could raise it at the EU courts and nullify the elections for all EU countries. Your idea that as long as you’re out before the EP was gathered in July everything would be fine is wrong, and seems to go by the same misunderstanding as May.

    So please provide something to backup your claim.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    May is flying to Berlin and Paris to beg at the moment.

    Macron and Merkel should slam the gates in her face unless she agrees to a new referendum in exchange for an Article 50 extension.
    The EU is rarely that confrontational; they’d go along way for a proper deal, but the current circus won’t get short extensions.
    Last edited by Crispin; 2019-04-09 at 02:52 PM.

  18. #17478
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    That is not correct. May's request to extend A50 until 30th June acknowledged that UK would have to hold elections if it was still a member when the parliament reconvened. If her deal was passed and the UK left the EU before this date of course there would no need for the UK to take part in the elections. I would suggest that you look up was requested before commenting further.
    And that was where she was wrong.

    Obviously, they have to hold elections if they are still a member when EP elections take place, not just before it reconvenes, otherwise they could withdraw article 50 after the elections took place without having participated.

  19. #17479
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    For a long extension I expect the council to ask for some sort of guarantees/commitment that the UK gvt will abstain to vote on decisions like the budget, Multiannual financial framework and other policies aimed at shaping the future of the EU.
    I don't think there are any provisions to make such a commitment legally binding. Considering that the UK is looking at a new PM once this is over, why should the new PM honour this agreement? We don't trust the UK at this point. I don't see anything like that happen, but I may be surprised.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    It is ironic.

    The fact is that is EU needs a relationship with Britain in some form or another, it (here EU is synonymous with Germany) has no interest to alienate a massive importer.
    We know the UK will continue to import no matter what. That's just a partial reason, really.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  20. #17480
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    'Wont happen' is ironically the mantra in regards to anything and everything even remotely related to the Brexit spectacle.
    Brexit and its various deadlines are essentially this old meme.

    https://i.imgur.com/XDgHj8r.gifv
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •