View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #17821
    Dreadlord Iphie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Well ... no deal is certainly one of the shittiest options, but I don't have the patience for another year of this ...
    Has Angela spoken yet?
    No deal is certainly not the best option, but I can imagine Macron wanting this to come to an end so that he can deal with his homefront, and, regardless of anything else, this situation needs to be resolved one way or another. I certainly do not wish to go through these motions every time the deadline approaches.

  2. #17822
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    No deal is certainly not the best option, but I can imagine Macron wanting this to come to an end so that he can deal with his homefront, and, regardless of anything else, this situation needs to be resolved one way or another. I certainly do not wish to go through these motions every time the deadline approaches.
    He will not block an extension if he's alone in this. He wants a European renaissance, and no deal would certainly not help that. He also pledged again, no later than last week, his absolute support to Varadkar. Playing bad cop in this story might help him score points but I would be extremely surprised if there was no extension tonight because of him.
    edit: Plus we are headed for riot week number -I don't know, I lost count, but since November basically- this weekend, and the last thing he needs is a 100km queue of angry truckers stranded in Calais on top of it because he threw a tantrum tonight.
    Last edited by Demolitia; 2019-04-10 at 08:59 PM.

  3. #17823
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    He will not block an extension if he's alone in this. He wants a European renaissance, and no deal would certainly not help that. He also pledged again, no later than last week, his absolute support to Varadkar. Playing bad cop in this story might help him score points but I would be extremely surprised if there was no extension tonight because of him.
    I agree. Macron's idea of a re-invented EU needs a lot of support from the other countries. He's not going to lose their support over what he considers a mere nuisance. The rhetoric he's employing now could be used later as credit to convince people of his views. And I think Merkel is happy letting him do that, because she's on her way out and for some reason I think she's flinching from throwing Germany's weight around. If Germany sides with France at any point tonight, this thing would be over faster than May can book a ticket home.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  4. #17824
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    On the plus side, the longer we go without Brexit happening, the more Brexit voters die of old age. And the less politically damaging revoking Article 50 becomes. If we can get a really good turnout of pro-EU voters in the EU election as well, that would push us even further in that direction as well.
    I really hope that's what they're going for ...
    If not, they're being way too nice to their UK politi-buddies.
    While all being cunts toward their respective peoples.

  5. #17825
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I agree. Macron's idea of a re-invented EU needs a lot of support from the other countries. He's not going to lose their support over what he considers a mere nuisance. The rhetoric he's employing now could be used later as credit to convince people of his views. And I think Merkel is happy letting him do that, because she's on her way out and for some reason I think she's flinching from throwing Germany's weight around. If Germany sides with France at any point tonight, this thing would be over faster than May can book a ticket home.
    Exactly, I think they pretty much agreed that she will do what she does best, being the no-nonsense voice of wisdom and compromise, and he will be the one applying pressure.
    edit: Macron seems to be pushing for a 30th of June extension

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    On the plus side, the longer we go without Brexit happening, the more Brexit voters die of old age. And the less politically damaging revoking Article 50 becomes. If we can get a really good turnout of pro-EU voters in the EU election as well, that would push us even further in that direction as well.

    I told dribbles the other day, that a slightly softer version of May's deal was the best that he could possibly hope for now. I'm increasingly convinced he's not even getting that.
    About the EP elections, if they happen. Considering they might just be done for fun, but nobody will actually sit in the EP in the end, who do you think will seriously run for it. Will the main parties actually spend money and effort trying to get people elected to no end?

    - - - Updated - - -
    Looks like we are all following the same thing, but just in case:
    https://twitter.com/adamfleming/stat...85295794073600
    Last edited by Demolitia; 2019-04-10 at 09:13 PM.

  6. #17826
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    About the EP elections, if they happen. Considering they might just be done for fun, but nobody will actually sit in the EP in the end, who do you think will seriously run for it. Will the main parties actually spend money and effort trying to get people elected to no end?
    Both Labour and the Conservatives have said they are preparing for the possibility of needing to field candidates in the the EP elections.

  7. #17827
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Both Labour and the Conservatives have said they are preparing for the possibility of needing to field candidates in the the EP elections.
    I'm sure they will. I'm wondering about the quality and seniority of said candidates, and the means that will be used to promote them. Also, what their stance on EU matters will be.
    edit I rephrased that last sentence.

  8. #17828
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    15,170
    My estimate the no deal extension will take away the opportunity from some brits to act as teenage trolls and so the extension might not even be accepted on the home front if May needs support that is considered how undemocratic the whole UK parliament is.

  9. #17829
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Both Labour and the Conservatives have said they are preparing for the possibility of needing to field candidates in the the EP elections.
    Lidington signed the order to prepare for European Elections on Monday, it comes into force today. The UK is now legally committed to holding the elections.

    In case anybody was wondering, this time the government only needs to move a SI to change the exit date in law, because parliament already agreed to it in Letwin-Cooper Act.

  10. #17830
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    I'm sure they will. I'm wondering about the quality and seniority of said candidates, and the means that will be used to promote them. Also, what their position will be.
    I don't think at any point in time Lab or Con could be accused of putting senior or quality candidates forward for EP elections.

    Assuming we take part, I think it's possible that the EP elections will be tightly contested by the main parties as they will both be under fire from pro-Brexit parties, such as UKIP, as well as anti-Brexit parties, like Change UK, and seeing as there is a distinct possibility that there will a GE before the end of the year neither party will want to concede any ground.

  11. #17831
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    Lidington signed the order to prepare for European Elections on Monday, it comes into force today. The UK is now legally committed to holding the elections.

    In case anybody was wondering, this time the government only needs to move a SI to change the exit date in law, because parliament already agreed to it in Letwin-Cooper Act.
    I understand the procedural and legal bits to organise elections is all in order. But say tonight they agree to a 30th of June extension.
    You will have EP elections because you have to, where the people who are elected will not actually expect to get a job as MEPs, unless there is another extension down the line. I doubt your brightest brains will agree to run for this.
    My concern is that these elections will be even more of a joke than the previous EP elections, and should, somehow, another extension happen past 30th of June, we will be stuck with a whole bunch of clowns from the UK at the EP. Ideally they will be like Farage and they won't do any actual work of voting

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I don't think at any point in time Lab or Con could be accused of putting senior or quality candidates forward for EP elections.
    Fair enough.

  12. #17832
    UPDATE: SEVENTEEN countries spoke in favour of a long #Brexit extension. 1 for short. 3 open, leaning towards short according to @eucopresident upsum in the summit rooms

    https://twitter.com/adamfleming/stat...85295794073600

  13. #17833
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    About the EP elections, if they happen. Considering they might just be done for fun, but nobody will actually sit in the EP in the end, who do you think will seriously run for it. Will the main parties actually spend money and effort trying to get people elected to no end?
    I got an email asking if I wanted to run

    *ahem* Make of that what you will. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    The things I pointed out are 100% factual points about the game

  14. #17834
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    I understand the procedural and legal bits to organise elections is all in order. But say tonight they agree to a 30th of June extension.
    You will have EP elections because you have to, where the people who are elected will not actually expect to get a job as MEPs, unless there is another extension down the line. I doubt your brightest brains will agree to run for this.
    My concern is that these elections will be even more of a joke than the previous EP elections, and should, somehow, another extension happen past 30th of June, we will be stuck with a whole bunch of clowns from the UK at the EP. Ideally they will be like Farage and they won't do any actual work of voting
    For them to be like Farage, they would need the Brexit crowd to turn out. If all those people who are trying to get Brexit reversed get out and vote, and vote for candidates standing on a pro-EU basis, we could end up with the best crowd of EU candidates they've seen from the UK recently. Possibly ever. That might be something to counter the populist votes popping up in other countries.

    We just need another wave of grass-roots voting encouragement from the pro-EU crowd in the coming month or so. I'm sure we can do it.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.

    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Brexophilia: The act of rubbing yourself against dead political ideas for sexual pleasure.

  15. #17835
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I got an email asking if I wanted to run
    I'd say try your luck if you don't mind travelling. The salary, pension scheme and severence package are pretty good

  16. #17836
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    I'd say try your luck if you don't mind travelling. The salary, pension scheme and severence package are pretty good
    Yes but i'm a remainer and I don't want to sabotage our chances
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    The things I pointed out are 100% factual points about the game

  17. #17837
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I got an email asking if I wanted to run

    *ahem* Make of that what you will. . .
    Well Farage isn't fussy as long as you pay the £100 fee.

  18. #17838
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    For them to be like Farage, they would need the Brexit crowd to turn out. If all those people who are trying to get Brexit reversed get out and vote, and vote for candidates standing on a pro-EU basis, we could end up with the best crowd of EU candidates they've seen from the UK recently. Possibly ever. That might be something to counter the populist votes popping up in other countries.

    We just need another wave of grass-roots voting encouragement from the pro-EU crowd in the coming month or so. I'm sure we can do it.
    The UK is the country with the most euro-skeptic candidates at the moment, so I'm not too worried about it getting worse.
    When I see that neither tories nor labour as a whole seems to be able to take a stance in the whole brexit shitstorm which effects everyone and everything in a very real and immediate fashion, I fail to see how they would magically both put up super europhile and dynamic candidates up for EP elections, but I guess I might be pleasantly surprised.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Yes but i'm a remainer and I don't want to sabotage our chances
    You go to Brussels and Strasbourg for a few days every other month, have a nap during plenary, collect your paycheck. You can insult Nigel during plenary, then go out for a pint with him and congratulate him on his acting skills. Could be a worse life.

  19. #17839
    Reports in Brussels suggest an extension until 31 October 2019 has been agreed by the European leaders, according to Katya Adler.

    Confirmation that an extension has been agreed upon by Donald Tusk:

    https://twitter.com/eucopresident/st...09939687284736

    He now gets to bring the glad tidings to Theresa.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-04-10 at 10:49 PM.

  20. #17840
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    On the plus side, the longer we go without Brexit happening, the more Brexit voters die of old age. And the less politically damaging revoking Article 50 becomes. If we can get a really good turnout of pro-EU voters in the EU election as well, that would push us even further in that direction as well.

    I told dribbles the other day, that a slightly softer version of May's deal was the best that he could possibly hope for now. I'm increasingly convinced he's not even getting that.
    Your people becoming old, dropping dead is not helpful to the remain side at all. The young, mostly remain inclined people, initially growing up lead a life, sucking off the teat of other peoples money and as they age into their late 20's early 30's, gaining a bit of real life experience and earning proper money they begin to realise that smaller government is better for their own pockets. Especially when it is now their tax money that is paying for the next, albeit smaller, generation of young spongers along with an increasing number of elderly.

    Losing a whole tier of that government/expense/waste by leaving the EU becomes a much more attractive proposition.

    Answer me this, are UK birth rates rising or declining? Is the UK population overall ageing? Remind me again how an increasingly aged population helps the remain side?

    The longer that brexit is delayed, the more aged overall the UK population becomes, the more likely brexit becomes.

    You have it the wrong way around.
    Last edited by Lord Dribbles; 2019-04-10 at 10:47 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •