View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #18001
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Quarantine and Chill
    Posts
    47,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    The EU restarted negotiations for a trade deal this week. Wouldn't it be poetic justice if the EU got a trade deal with the US before the UK did?
    And doubtless a better one, since the EU has a heckin' lot more to offer than the UK.
    Elizabeth Warren is the neighbor in the horror movie who drives by the haunted house and is like “hey guys seems bad in there want to come with me?” and America is the family that’s like “nah it’s probably not that bad there were only chainsaw noises in the night that one time!”

  2. #18002
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Remainers and the EU in collusion stirred up troubles in Ireland in an attempt to frustrate Brexit. No one on the Irish side or the British side were/are ever going to put up a hard border there. Remainers and the EU falsely claimed otherwise and lit the fuse under the Irish tinderbox with the inevitable results.
    Do you have an alternative to a hard border that we're all unaware of?

    Remainers simply pointed out there would be a massive problem. Leavers just denied it and muttered rubbish about "technology".

    I mean, yes, if you're suggesting that Common Market 2.0 is the way forward, then fantastic. Damascene conversion?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ctd12345 View Post
    lool @ Turning point girl

    there is no appitite for troubles violence in NI or Ire for that matter. A big pro IRA mural in derry got defaced today, which would be unthinkable previously.

    dribbles you are scum and you know what you are doing. Gross human.
    In fairness to him, it was me who brought it up. However, I think it's daft to be talking about "blood on hands". It's just so inflammatory.

    The point I was trying to make was about the potential to return to greater levels of sectarian violence. If you look at "post-conflict" violence it's mostly been republican on republican, loyalist on loyalist and there hasn't been that much of it. But what happened yesterday was a bit of a departure.

  3. #18003
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    21,063
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    So pleased to be able to help. A minute or so video explains it for you. Feel free to donate...
    In your own words, this can't be that hard.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    It does everywhere. The UK doesn't have a monopoly on misery.
    Not in Vienna.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before.

    A bunch of times actually.

  4. #18004
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Ugh.....

    Absolutely ugh.

    In fairness, I've yet to view a political video message that hasn't elicited that response. But that was particularly awful.

    - - - Updated - - -

    And on to real news: trouble in NI last night. "Dissident republicans" firing on police. A journalist killed. Most "post-conflict" violence has been loyalist on loyalist, republican on republican. Is this the sign of things to come?
    Don't you think it's ironic that Farage talks while a Danish Ferry is in the background servicing the British port?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  5. #18005
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Don't you think it's ironic that Farage talks while a Danish Ferry is in the background servicing the British port?
    Good spot.

    I was so appalled by the varying clashing shades of green & brown I was busy trying not to puke.

  6. #18006
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Do you have an alternative to a hard border that we're all unaware of?
    He's stated it a few times. It's basically force Ireland out of the EU and have the hard border between mainland and UK/Ireland. He is that delusional.

  7. #18007
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Well now it's on the Brits to show the EU how much they really want to stay in come next election.
    What the fuck are you blathering on about? Do you even know?

  8. #18008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    In your own words, this can't be that hard.
    What's this, attempt #3 to get him to use his own words?

    Sadly, he has no words of his own.

  9. #18009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    He's stated it a few times. It's basically force Ireland out of the EU and have the hard border between mainland and UK/Ireland. He is that delusional.
    Hmms, yep, maybe. But I sometimes wonder if some of Mr D's provocations are entirely genuine. It might be more of a sarcastic response to my initial question. But that's all it was: a question.

    @ctd12345 - why do you think there's less potential / less appetite for this? I thought you were a Londoner... do you know NI? I'm not questioning that things have shifted since 1998 but if a hard Brexit resulted in an escalation of border security how could that not be anything else other than a massive potential cause of conflict?

    I think Mr D's point may be - don't be melodramatic. But my retort would be: well, look at what's come before. If you lot bury your heads in the sand waffling on about technological white elephants and then the worst happens... well.

    Or Kallisto maybe you're completely right! I might be overthinking this...

    Either way - gloomy stuff

  10. #18010
    Herald of the Titans dribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brexitia
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Hmms, yep, maybe. But I sometimes wonder if some of Mr D's provocations are entirely genuine. It might be more of a sarcastic response to my initial question. But that's all it was: a question.

    @ctd12345 - why do you think there's less potential / less appetite for this? I thought you were a Londoner... do you know NI? I'm not questioning that things have shifted since 1998 but if a hard Brexit resulted in an escalation of border security how could that not be anything else other than a massive potential cause of conflict?

    I think Mr D's point may be - don't be melodramatic. But my retort would be: well, look at what's come before. If you lot bury your heads in the sand waffling on about technological white elephants and then the worst happens... well.

    Or Kallisto maybe you're completely right! I might be overthinking this...

    Either way - gloomy stuff
    Actually I was reading this remain MP's tweet about the incident just prior to reading your post and my first thought was damn remainers blaming brexiteers and brexit for it.

    https://twitter.com/GeorgeFreemanMP/...93157453918209

    Apologies, I thought you were leading this topic the same way, and I intended to get in first...

  11. #18011
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You make it sound like the British are living a Charles Dickens fantasy. That's a ridiculous notion.
    Sorry, my reply comes a bit late, but I didn't mean it to be that dramatic. There is a big lower middle crowd, especially in rural areas (and that's still a lot of people), which is concerned about their communities, jobs, future, healthcare and pensions, and don't see these concerns addressed by "London". So they took it on Brussels instead. Partly because Bxl has been blamed for everything for so long in shitty newspapers, and partly because they feel as remote as London to those people and they had a chance to voice their opinions on it. Those are real concerns and what I meant is that overall, the norwegian political and social system is richer and more transparent, so people there are not as divided as the brits are.

  12. #18012
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Actually I was reading this remain MP's tweet about the incident just prior to reading your post and my first thought was damn remainers blaming brexiteers and brexit for it.

    https://twitter.com/GeorgeFreemanMP/...93157453918209

    Apologies, I thought you were leading this topic the same way, and I intended to get in first...
    Yep, sure... I was wondering.

    No - it was literally just a question.

    Fundamentally, if a Brexiteer could demonstrate to me the efficacy of a technological solution I'd be happy not to bring the issue up. I'd be more inclined to go with May's deal etc. But the problem is they can't, can they? Not to say it won't be possible x years down the line... but after what events and at what cost?

    If you look at Freeman's subsequent posts he does go on to make this broader general point, rather than his original conflation.

  13. #18013
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Actually I was reading this remain MP's tweet about the incident just prior to reading your post and my first thought was damn remainers blaming brexiteers and brexit for it.

    https://twitter.com/GeorgeFreemanMP/...93157453918209

    Apologies, I thought you were leading this topic the same way, and I intended to get in first...
    Any Brexit will undermine peace in Ireland

  14. #18014
    Herald of the Titans dribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brexitia
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Any Brexit will undermine peace in Ireland
    However Brexit never caused the death of that journalist, terrorists did. We just suspend democracy because terrorists? Let them win?

  15. #18015
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    However Brexit never caused the death of that journalist, terrorists did. We just suspend democracy because terrorists? Let them win?
    Was it an issue before you started splitting the country for no reasonable reasons? Without any possible outcome besides splitting people's opinions more? You will remain attached to the EU, you will keep paying into the budget. You are just digging the divide between people without bring any workable solution. You are despicable.

  16. #18016
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    However Brexit never caused the death of that journalist, terrorists did. We just suspend democracy because terrorists? Let them win?
    I'm pretty sure that the GFA agreement came about because of democracy. But you are happy to ignore that, because for you "democracy" means "one precise point in 2016 and fuck everything else".
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.

    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Brexophilia: The act of rubbing yourself against dead political ideas for sexual pleasure.

  17. #18017
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    All on the EU. If only they hadn't weaponised the Irish border during the Brexit negotiations. What did the EU expect?
    This is evil even for your standards. Bloody disgusting.

  18. #18018
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd12345 View Post
    /snip
    Cheers… yep, ok. So - you’re saying that there would be problems but they might be limited and not command great popular support. I guess that’s positive? It's interesting to hear an informed opinion rather than speculation, which I'll freely admit I'm as guilty as anyone else is.

    Meh…. I don’t know.

    It would be rather ironic if the DUP, having spouted all this “anything for the Union” bullshit, had played a fundamental role in its downfall. A Remainer’s ultimate I Told You So: when Scotland and Northern Ireland secede.

  19. #18019
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Quarantine and Chill
    Posts
    47,059
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Cheers… yep, ok. So - you’re saying that there would be problems but they might be limited and not command great popular support. I guess that’s positive? It's interesting to hear an informed opinion rather than speculation, which I'll freely admit I'm as guilty as anyone else is.

    Meh…. I don’t know.

    It would be rather ironic if the DUP, having spouted all this “anything for the Union” bullshit, had played a fundamental role in its downfall. A Remainer’s ultimate I Told You So: when Scotland and Northern Ireland secede.
    > Scuttles Brexit
    > Leaves Britain

    The ultimate payback for the Potato Famine.
    Elizabeth Warren is the neighbor in the horror movie who drives by the haunted house and is like “hey guys seems bad in there want to come with me?” and America is the family that’s like “nah it’s probably not that bad there were only chainsaw noises in the night that one time!”

  20. #18020
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    However Brexit never caused the death of that journalist, terrorists did. We just suspend democracy because terrorists? Let them win?
    That's just filthy... disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    All on the EU. If only they hadn't weaponised the Irish border during the Brexit negotiations. What did the EU expect?
    That's just your opinion, killer.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •