View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The backstop was suggested by the EU however it only applied to NI, effectively giving NI free access to both the EU and the UK, an amazing thing for their economy (and also the reason why this idea has such widespread support in NI), it was suggested by the UK that this applied to whole of the UK in order to stop the DUP throwing a hissy fit which was then later rejected by parliament because Theresa May was utterly useless at selling what she had managed to get the EU to agree to.

We have endlessly repeated the meaningless phrase "alternative arrangements" while not being able to provide any workable detail on what those arrangements are (outside of meaningless shit like trusted trader schemes which do not come close to fixing the underlying issues) which is not acceptable to the EU.
    Some slight corrections required here, I think
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-07-31 at 01:47 PM.

wait wait wait ... do i get this correctly?

the uk doesnt want the backstop, but also doesnt want a border at NI? so they just want to have free movement of people from and to the UK? wasnt that one of the main talking points of the brexit campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    wait wait wait ... do i get this correctly?

the uk doesnt want the backstop, but also doesnt want a border at NI? so they just want to have free movement of people from and to the UK? wasnt that one of the main talking points of the brexit campaign?
    UK: we want to take back control of our borders
    also UK: but we don't actually want a border

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Just because British Brexiteers hold that it's the EU's fault that GFA breaks doesn't mean other countries will share that view.

The UK will very much be seen as being at fault for it as a consequence of the way the UK handled Brexit by the Democrats in the US.
    It's mk not the EU's job to keep international treaties of the UK for the UK. They are a sovereign nation. They need to learn to put on the big boy pants and uphold their end on their own.

Also neither the EU nor Ireland did anything to start this. That was all UK.

In the end the gfa will never take precedence over EU treaty law. And we are not dealing with the fallout either. So I have no idea what the village idiot here is trying to accomplish.
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-07-31 at 04:02 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Latest Westminster voting intention poll from Yougov shows the Cons taking a 10 point lead over Lab, who lead the LDs by 3 points.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/stat...62916708786177

I don't know whether to be impressed with or worried about the impact Johnson has made on Tory fortunes!

- - - Updated - - -

Boris apparently wants to legalise wacky-baccy so either he'll steal yoof Labour vote or they'll be too stoned to bother voting!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham...alise-cannabis

- - - Updated - - -

Bad news for would-be British stoners; BoJo doesn't want to legalise cannabis after all.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/stat...10044907204608

Very much value Pann, thanks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Oh dearie me, more bad news eurochums if the EU refuse to open the WA and ditch the backstop. Not too bad for the, almost fully employed, UK as you can see with its 3% existing unemployment rate. Imagine if you were living somewhere with the current unemployment rate knocking on the door of 10% facing this kind of devastation to jobs.

Will the EU see sense? Or will millions of its citizens not be able to work and afford to put bread on the table for their poor starving children...

Britannia waives the rules!

Is there 1 country on that image which is losing proportionally more jobs?

TIL Holy shit there are 17m people in the Netherlands :O
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Damnit hubcap, you are such a retard.
    Seriously guys, this forum would be a better place if everyone just stopped acknowledging Zenkai. It's just demeaning to everyone.

OK so that map says that in the EU, 1189480 people stand to lose their jobs. Compared to 526830 in the UK. So the UK (1 country) is going to lose half as many jobs due to Brexit as the WHOLE of the EU (27 countries). In terms of per capita, 4 times as many people in the UK will be made redundant due to Brexit as in the EU.

I'm just adding up and dividing the numbers you provide. Thanks @dribbles, for confirming just how fucked the UK is going to be (massively).

Does anybody remember Thatcher's mine closures in the 80s? They only affected 180,000 people. Look how fucked the Midlands and Yorkshire got when they closed. There are still old mining villages where you can buy an entire street for 100 quid.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-07-31 at 06:53 PM.

Scarab Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Oh dearie me, more bad news eurochums if the EU refuse to open the WA and ditch the backstop. Not too bad for the, almost fully employed, UK as you can see with its 3% existing unemployment rate. Imagine if you were living somewhere with the current unemployment rate knocking on the door of 10% facing this kind of devastation to jobs.

Will the EU see sense? Or will millions of its citizens not be able to work and afford to put bread on the table for their poor starving children...

There is likely to be greater issues if the backstop is dropped.. perhaps not for Britain but for the rest of the EU

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post

So as per your picture there, 30% of the jobs lost will be in the UK. That is perfectly acceptable. Bring on the hard Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by tranthalahphas View Post
    *Sigh*. First, the 10-point opinion poll is the outlier. You should have worked out by now that papers report the outlier.

Second, there is a honeymoon period after a leader's election-doesn't matter what party. Most people see themselves as fair and do not judge a leader for a certain period of time-then they invariably return to their old prejudices. Additionally the coverage tends to be positive around a new leader, champagn corks popping and happy faces and so forth-again no one remembers this come election day and any effect is very temporary.

So, no, this is exactly what you'd expect and tells us nothing about what impact Johnson will have on Tory fortunes.
    It might be, it might not. We'll have to see. But, yeah, no doubt Jezza will ride in to save the day... any minute now!

- - - Updated - - -

With regard to Westminster voting intentions I should point out, seeing as the burner is doing his leave Jeremy alone! shtick, that a recent Opinium poll has the gap a lot closer at just a 2 point lead to the Cons (30% to Lab's 28%).

Latest Westminster voting intention poll from Yougov shows the Cons taking a 10 point lead over Lab, who lead the LDs by 3 points.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/stat...62916708786177

I don't know whether to be impressed with or worried about the impact Johnson has made on Tory fortunes!

- - - Updated - - -

Boris apparently wants to legalise wacky-baccy so either he'll steal yoof Labour vote or they'll be too stoned to bother voting!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham...alise-cannabis

- - - Updated - - -

Bad news for would-be British stoners; BoJo doesn't want to legalise cannabis after all.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/stat...10044907204608
    Anyone who has kept any track of Boris Johnson's career would know that Boris Johnson has held every position on every issue at one point or another.

Boris Johnson believes in exactly 1 thing and nothing else. His own self interest.

The amazing thing tho... Britain will burn the house to the ground around themselves...and then blame the EU for it while holding a lighter in one hand and a can of gasoline in the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Anyone who has kept any track of Boris Johnson's career would know that Boris Johnson has held every position on every issue at one point or another.

Boris Johnson believes in exactly 1 thing and nothing else. His own self interest.

The amazing thing tho... Britain will burn the house to the ground around themselves...and then blame the EU for it while holding a lighter in one hand and a can of gasoline in the other.
    Don't you think that this would be better directed at those who stated they would vote for Johnson in the poll? Perhaps you could email Yougov?

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't actually mention Corbyn, for some reason you and several other posters seem absolutely obsessed with him even though this thread is nothing to do with him.

What motivated me to respond was your incessant bullshit reporting of polls, it is really annoying, I'd have thought you'd have learned by now.

To find an accurate picture of the opinion polls, type in "uk opinion poll", you'll get a link to a wikipedia page. The most recent polls have the Tories ahead by 1,2 and 5% aside from the 10-point yougov outlier. There is no reason to wait for a newspaper to tell you what to think, you can see the polls as they are updated.
    Calm down. I can assure you there is no-one here who is any where near as obsessed with Corbyn as you. You're his number one!

Well you know the answer to that one - stop creating new accounts and just go away.

I linked the poll because it shows a massive shift from the position the Tories were in just a month or so ago and their popularity will influence their handling of Brexit which I thought it might be of interest - it wasn't meant to upset you or anything.

Even if the Yougov poll is an outlier the Tories are - after mishandling Brexit for the last three years, nearly a decade in power and their adherence to an unpopular austerity policy during this time - still ahead of Labour.

I am not sure why you think I need newspapers to tell me what to think but whatever.

It is a shift of 6%, that isn't "massive", it just a shift, you don't have to add hyperbole to everything, you are not a teenager. Incidentally, despite your Tourette's syndrome inability to stop mentioning Corbyn the movement is between Brexit party and Conservative party, Labour actually gained 1% since Johnson's election.
    I'm sorry if the use of the word "massive" is offensive to you although it is telling that you pick up on this rather than making an actual point.

A month ago the Yougov poll showed the Cons on 22%, equal with the BXP, they are now 10 points ahead of their nearest rival, I do not believe that it hyperbolic to describe this as a massive improvement. You are, of course, free to disagree.

Wow! One whole percent! Every little helps, huh?!?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I was being charitable. You actually linked to someone on twitter who mentioned a yougov poll who linked to the yougov twitter home which doesn't have the poll.

You still don't seem to know what a primary source is obviously.....
    Perhaps you should have tried the Yougov website? Maybe, try looking here; https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...em-19-brex-13-

Primary sources and all that...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh Jesus this is like pulling teeth. I mentioned the 1% figure because it indicated no movement at all in Labour's support. I only mentioned it all because for some reason you were foaming at the mouth about Corbyn and Labour even though no one had mentioned his name.
    No-one cares. The one percent gain is completely irrelevant and you only mentioned it because you have no answer to my post. I can only imagine that you are projecting your own actions if you believe that my posts in any way suggest that I am foaming at the mouth about Corbyn.

If you look at the wikipedia site then you can get all the primary polling data at one viewing instead of having to rely on newspapers, social media, or checking individual polling sites.

Instead of attacking me why not just listen when I tell you things so you look less stupid in future? Just a thought.
    You go on about primary sources, despite the fact I linked the primary source, and then tell me to look at Wikipedia?? For real?!?

Quite honestly I've read a number of your posts and there is nothing that I would want to learn from you. But if I am ever in need of creating a forum account in 10 seconds I'll know where to look.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! And then he was gone! Like a candle in the wind... and now it looks like I've been talking to myself.

It might be, it might not. We'll have to see. But, yeah, no doubt Jezza will ride in to save the day... any minute now!

- - - Updated - - -

With regard to Westminster voting intentions I should point out, seeing as the burner is doing his leave Jeremy alone! shtick, that a recent Opinium poll has the gap a lot closer at just a 2 point lead to the Cons (30% to Lab's 28%).
    If we go by other polls it's likely not an outlier. Many brexit party converts basically were polling in such a way a Boris premiership would bring them back into the Tory fold.

Though tbh we might need to wait a few weeks to get an actual clear signal of how things are going. Maybe even put a huge * next to it until all the campaigning begins if Boris pushes for a General election or loses a vote of no confidence in the commons. If Corbyn calls for one... which he might do... any day now.... any day now.

Changes to polling results in cases such as this one are less interesting in the sense of "Oh my goodness the GE is going thataway" than in the sense of how they will affect the politicians and party behaviour. Tories are likely to interpret this kind of results as a "Full speed ahead Boris old chap!" in stead of trying to get him to cool his heels a bit while someone makes a mature person call to Varadkar, Macron and Merkel

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    If we go by other polls it's likely not an outlier. Many brexit party converts basically were polling in such a way a Boris premiership would bring them back into the Tory fold.

Though tbh we might need to wait a few weeks to get an actual clear signal of how things are going. Maybe even put a huge * next to it until all the campaigning begins if Boris pushes for a General election or loses a vote of no confidence in the commons. If Corbyn calls for one... which he might do... any day now.... any day now.
    I would urge caution when reading polling results but it does seem that Johnson is tempting Tory voters who went over the BXP back into the Tory fold. It will be interesting to see if the keeps up.

I think it is quite obvious that Johnson and the Tories are in the middle of an election campaign whilst the other parties don't seem to have even noticed and are doing nothing.

Talking about starving children...

Well worth the slightly elevated unemployment... 300k on 90 million people... oooh, look at us shiver in fear! We've never had to deal with 300k unemployed before! Oh wait, yeah we do... it's called annual fluctuation between summer and winter.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Phillip Hammond must be pretty pissed - the newly-elected populists are busy spending his 'war chest':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49183324

I think it is quite obvious that Johnson and the Tories are in the middle of an election campaign whilst the other parties don't seem to have even noticed and are doing nothing.
    In fairness, that might be because BJ and the Tories aren't actually in the middle of an election campaign. A step too far even with respect to BJ's capacity for bending the truth?