View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    I don't see any kind of electoral reform happening. The British seem to be stuck on tradition too much.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I don't see any kind of electoral reform happening. The British seem to be stuck on tradition too much.
    I think it's inertia more than active resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    There's no reality where all the parties decide on an agreement together. This must be glaringly obvious by now. There's no time to make a new deal before the next deadline and we leave.
    Which is why they all need to get their heads out of their asses, admit they fucked up hard and there's no way to leave that won't cripple Britain's economy, and stay.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    You are more of a "The Times" person? No problem then, from today's edition...

Global chief executives back Brexit Britain
    A poll of 1,300 chief executives in 11 of the world’s largest economies found bosses from the US, China and Japan — the UK’s top investor and the world’s second and third biggest economies — expect to be more likely to invest in Britain after it leaves the European Union.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/g...tain-k77pjnmb0

Wherever you look, tabloids or broadsheets, a daily veritable feast of good news for Brexit! Not long until October 31st, tick tock...
    Oh good, the tick tock is back. Is your memory so short you can't remember how badly it all fucked up the last time you did that? And the time before that? Like the Brexit Party, you have just the one trick. And it's a shit one.

Can't wait until you are disappointed again.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Oh good, the tick tock is back. Is your memory so short you can't remember how badly it all fucked up the last time you did that? And the time before that? Like the Brexit Party, you have just the one trick. And it's a shit one.

Can't wait until you are disappointed again.
    Hahaha

Except things are a bit different this time. Whoever comes next is not going to be a remainer PM leading a remain cabinet. The softest Brexit you are going to get is the Boris Johnson WTO brexit, anything else will have Farage paws all over it.

Must hurt if you are a remainer to be rooting for Boris Johnson as your best softest brexit option PM, bwahhhahahahaaa
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha

Except things are a bit different this time. Whoever comes next is not going to be a remainer PM leading a remain cabinet. The softest Brexit you are going to get is the Boris Johnson WTO brexit, anything else will have Farage paws all over it.

Must hurt if you are a remainer to be rooting for Boris Johnson as your best softest brexit option PM, bwahhhahahahaaa
    Not particularly. BoJo is conceited enough to throw Brexit under the bus if a WTO Brexit looked like it would cost him the premiership, which it probably would considering the only thing people can agree on is that they don't want a no deal.

About the only thing he can be trusted on is lying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The softest Brexit you are going to get is the Boris Johnson WTO brexit, anything else will have Farage paws all over it.
    Hmm, I wouldn't go counting those chlorinated chickens just yet.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1138457750759968768

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Hmm, I wouldn't go counting those chlorinated chickens just yet.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1138457750759968768
    That's just to stop an incoming PM from proroguing parliament though? It still remains that the only way Article 50 can be extended is if the new PM writes to the EU and requests that. The new PM, under peril of the brexit party, can refuse to do that even if parliament instructs him/her to do so.

Chlorinated chicken, yummy.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

That's just to stop an incoming PM from proroguing parliament though? It still remains that the only way Article 50 can be extended is if the new PM writes to the EU and requests that. The new PM, under peril of the brexit party, can refuse to do that even if parliament instructs him/her to do so.

Chlorinated chicken, yummy.
    As I understand it this is just the beginning of the process to give MPs control of the Brexit timetable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48598760

7+ Year Old Account
    As I understand it this is just the beginning of the process to give MPs control of the Brexit timetable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48598760
    October 31st is the end date of the brexit timetable whatever parliament does. Only the PM, by writing to the EU and with their agreement, can alter that date. If that extension request letter never arrives at the EU by Oct 31st, what parliament says matters nowt. We are out.

Do you really see Boris writing that begging letter as Theresa did? That would be a gift to the Brexit party...

Hahaha

Again, we are going to have to educate you about reality. Johnson being PM doesn't change the math in Parliament. Still no majority for no-deal, and still a guarantee that MPs will do everything they can to stop it happening. The deal that May negotiated is the only one on the table, and there isn't any support for that. Want to renegotiate that? Fine, lets start the clock again and in a couple of years time we might have another deal. By then more of the old rascists that voted for Brexit will have died, and the majority against it would have increased further.

The longer this goes on, the greater the chance the whole thing gets called off. And regardless of which of the Tories win, you don't have the numbers to push through pretty much any form of Brexit, let alone a hard one.

So go ahead and gloat. It just shows, as usual, how little you understand of what's happening.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

15+ Year Old Account
    October 31st is the end date of the brexit timetable whatever parliament does. Only the PM, by writing to the EU and with their agreement, can alter that date. If that extension request letter never arrives at the EU by Oct 31st, what parliament says matters nowt. We are out.

Do you really see Boris writing that begging letter as Theresa did? That would be a gift to the Brexit party...
    So Boris will either last up until the next GE because of the terrible impact of no-deal Brexit and be gone or he will not deliver Brexit and be gone with the next GE by boosting the Brexit Party.

A great position he maneuvered his stupid ass into.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So Boris will either last up until the next GE because of the terrible impact of no-deal Brexit and be gone or he will not deliver Brexit and be gone with the next GE by boosting the Brexit Party.

A great position he maneuvered his stupid ass into.
    "PM for a Day" seems to be the chief policy goal for both of the major parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Again, we are going to have to educate you about reality. Johnson being PM doesn't change the math in Parliament. Still no majority for no-deal, and still a guarantee that MPs will do everything they can to stop it happening. The deal that May negotiated is the only one on the table, and there isn't any support for that. Want to renegotiate that? Fine, lets start the clock again and in a couple of years time we might have another deal. By then more of the old rascists that voted for Brexit will have died, and the majority against it would have increased further.

The longer this goes on, the greater the chance the whole thing gets called off. And regardless of which of the Tories win, you don't have the numbers to push through pretty much any form of Brexit, let alone a hard one.

So go ahead and gloat. It just shows, as usual, how little you understand of what's happening.
    The math in parliament doesn't matter. What does is if the new PM asks for an extension of article 50 or not. Theresa did, I don't think Boris will.

If it is passed into law (which would appear to the plan) that the government must seek an extension in order to avoid no deal then Johnson, or whoever, would be breaking the law if they did not do so. However where it becomes less clear is if an extension is requested but not granted.

The math in parliament doesn't matter. What does is if the new PM asks for an extension of article 50 or not. Theresa did, I don't think Boris will.
    Parliament can order the PM to ask for one. Like they did in April.

If it is passed into law (which would appear to the plan) that the government must seek an extension in order to avoid no deal then Johnson, or whoever, would be breaking the law if they did not do so. However where it becomes less clear is if an extension is requested but not granted.
    The EU doesn't want to be the bad guy in this. If the UK asks for an extension they will get it. In April people were saying that there would be lots of string attached to a second extension, and the UK essentially got it for nothing.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-06-11 at 07:32 PM.

The EU have bent over backwards in this whole process to allow it to be driven by the UK. They don't want us to be able to redirect any of the blame their way, and I don't blame them. So I suspect that an extension will be almost automatic.

And I find it highly amusing that dribbles believes that Johnson, a man with an almost perfect track record of looking after number 1, would do something like ignoring Parliament by refusing to seek an extension. He won't risk pushing through a hard Brexit in a way that would place all of the blame squarely on his shoulders.

7+ Year Old Account
    And presumably if Boris didn't seek an extension and write the letter after instruction by parliament, as PM the only person that can, he would be held in contempt. We'd still be, irreversibly, out.

I wonder what the penalty for that, presumably contempt of parliament, would be? Wiki says :- The last time Parliament fined someone was in 1666, and the last time it imprisoned anyone was in 1880 (in the Clock Tower).

Looks like he might get his wrists slapped, possibly... He won't write the letter that destroys him and the Conservative party.

And presumably if Boris didn't seek an extension and write the letter after instruction by parliament, as PM the only person that can, he would be held in contempt. We'd still be, irreversibly, out.
    Not totally irreversably

I'm also not 100% sure that it is only the PM that can write the letter. Parliament empowers the PM, as head of government, to do so. Parliament could, in theory, empower somebody else to do it (the Cabinet Secretary and the Speaker of the House come to mind). Enabling Acts can enable anything.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-06-11 at 11:05 PM.

I wonder what the penalty for that, presumably contempt of parliament, would be? Wiki says :- The last time Parliament fined someone was in 1666, and the last time it imprisoned anyone was in 1880 (in the Clock Tower).

Looks like he might get his wrists slapped, possibly... He won't write the letter that destroys him and the Conservative party.
    Honestly I don't know whether that would be the case. My gut feeling is that the PM (regardless of their Brexit stance) would not ignore parliament and refuse to seek an extension when required to do so by law and I suspect that if they did it would bring down the government.