View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Nothing to do with Brexit, in case you hadn't noticed it hasn't happened yet. The EU are trying to ban diesel cars deliberately to hurt JLR to the advantage of German/French motor manufacturers.

Remember that next time you go to buy a car.

If she survives the two Conservative conferences (official and unofficial) in two weeks probably not until after March next year.
    Are paranoid or what? French motors suck, so its only German engines, but newsflash, German motors got ripped with this volkswagen shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Are paranoid or what? French motors suck, so its only German engines, but newsflash, German motors got ripped with this volkswagen shit.
    And they built a lot of disel cars, so why would they have any interest in banning them?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    You're replying to a guy who stated that the UK must go to war if it doesn't get a deal that is 100% in the UK favour. Of course he's paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Isn't it time you brextremists took you collective head out of your collective arse?
    They don't care about anything beyond their immediate surroundings. So, if you're working at a bookstore, why bother about cars? If there's one consistency that I've found in Brexiteers, it seems to be a monumental streak of egoism distilled down to the very individual self.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing to do with Brexit, really?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-boss-tells-pm

Isn't it time you brextremists took you collective head out of your collective arse?
    Yes really. Nothing at all to do with the yet to happen Brexit.

90% of Jaguar Land Rover vehicles use diesel. Despite Ralf Speth trying to foist the blame on Brexit (it hasn't happened yet, please someone tell him) and not the EU for virtually banning the cars he makes, no one is buying new diesels in the EU because of its demonisation by Brussels.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43756209

"JLR was very exposed to the demise of diesel. Recent figures from the trade body showed sales of diesels fell a whopping 37% in March compared with the previous year."

You were saying?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Yes really. Nothing at all to do with the yet to happen Brexit.

90% of Jaguar Land Rover vehicles use diesel. Despite Ralf Speth trying to foist the blame on Brexit (it hasn't happened yet, please someone tell him) and not the EU for virtually banning the cars he makes, no one is buying new diesels in the EU because of its demonisation by Brussels.

"JLR was very exposed to the demise of diesel. Recent figures from the trade body showed sales of diesels fell a whopping 37% in March compared with the previous year."

You were saying?
    He's not speaking about Dieselgate. He's talking about on-time delivery of supply chains. If JLR produced all petrol cars, they'd face the same problem. They physically cannot built cars without the parts to build them. This isn't about if they can actually sell the cars they build. It's about them not actually being able to keep production lines going.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

You were saying?
    You forgot to quote the part immediately following that -

Unhappily for JLR, 90% of its vehicles are powered by diesel engines and there are critical industry voices that say they have been slower than their rivals to embrace hybrids and electric.

JLR Plants in China and Slovakia are increasing production, but company insiders were keen to stress that it would continue to invest in its UK plants and recently launched a drive to recruit another 5,000 engineers.
    So it sounds like JLR doesn't want to adapt to the current marketplace and are looking to blame someone other than their own poor planning and lack of a diversified fleet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    He's not speaking about Dieselgate. He's talking about on-time delivery of supply chains. If JLR produced all petrol cars, they'd face the same problem. They physically cannot built cars without the parts to build them. This isn't about if they can actually sell the cars they build. It's about them not actually being able to keep production lines going.
    But the fact is JLR don't make petrol vehicles they make diesel which, because of the EU, very few want anymore. It is not a failing of just on time delivery because of yet to happen Brexit that is the problem for them. Whatever happens after March, no one is going to prevent needed incoming, to the UK, parts from the EU in the same way parts from non EU countries seem to make their way here perfectly adequately to, for example Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You forgot to quote the part immediately following that -

So it sounds like JLR doesn't want to adapt to the current marketplace and are looking to blame someone other than their own poor planning and lack of a diversified fleet.
    Well it was a bad decision by JLR not to move from diesel to petrol production when the direction of governments was obvious to every other motor manufacturer who did.

Trying to deflect that bad management decision onto Brexit, rather than looking closer to home, is fake news and a bit rich, but to be expected of those schemers backing project fear 2.0.

They will latch onto anything and spin it for their gain when it suits.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I have no problem with the idea that the slump in diesel car sales play a part in JLR's decision to reduce productivity to a 3 day week, but the biggest player by far is the uncertainty that your Brexit clowns have brought upon us. How can the UK's biggest car manufacturer adapt to the changing market when Brexit dictates that we have no fucking clue where our country will be 6 months from now? And what you fucking Brexit clowns don't realise is, 6 months from now is only the beginning of the great Brexit disaster, this shit will rumble on for decades.
    You forgot that for big companies, what happens in 2019 is decided now. Whether or not the negotiations fall through is really useful information at this stage for companies that have the choice of "continue as usual" or "where the hell are we going to get our gear transmissions from?" That the UK Government still fluctuates between "either we get a super deal and everything will basically stay the way it is" or "no deal and god knows what'll happen next" doesn't help the situation, either. The main competitors of UK companies do not have this problem. They don't need to wait until next year to know where their supply chain is coming from, if it still exists next year.

In the meantime, UK companies deal with Schrödinger's dilemma. Do or don't do... but you won't find out if it's right until next year.

Are people blaming the demise of diesel cars on the EU now? Obama is probably getting a bit sad now since he was the guy that got blamed for everything.

Diesel cars are going right towards the same category as the old electric cars from 100 years ago. Other tech have managed to catch up to any advantage a diesel car might have and with more and more hybrid cars coming out and full electric models who actually is interested in bloody diesel.

Day 428

Still attempting to simultaneously have and eat cake.

No progress thus far.

Testing to resume in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It's not even about getting the parts. They will get the parts eventually. Car makers largely however produce under JIT and that means they have minimal warehousing; with JIT they depend on all the parts arriving simultaneously or nearly so for assembly and everything being assembled just in time to meet demand.
    So they will get the parts eventually. And the car can still be made. But they will need to store all the other parts that are sourced locally somewhere (and in some industries that is not even possible since parts of a whole might not be useable by the time the others arrive) and they will not be able to get the product on market anywhere near on time. Honestly most people don't understand the fragility of supply chains and think this will just cause delays and small temporary shortages. The reality is just far, far more complex.
    I was actually speaking about JIT delivery, assuming that everyone would be on the same page. Thanks for pointing it out, I forgot I was speaking to Dribs... he probably hears about it the first time. DRIBBLES: JIT DELIVERY MEANS JUST-IN-TIME DELIVERY! It's the thing where you get sent a transmission gear and it's built into the car less than a minute after it entered through the plant's gates! (PLANT BEING MANUFACTURING SITE, NOT THE GREEN STUFF ON THE GROUND DRIBBLES!).

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I mean it seems very simple. The UK will continue to refuse to understand that the PRINCIPLES on which the EU are built are just as important as trade because for them, those principles are worthless.
    If the EU caves on this just to avoid minor financial disruption it proves them right; that the numbers are all it actually cares for. It would essentially be dead.
    I've often been wrong before, but I don't see how the EU is ever going to cave on it. It would question everything the treaties stand for.

I've often been wrong before, but I don't see how the EU is ever going to cave on it. It would question everything the treaties stand for.
    The same people who said that the EU will cave now are also the ones that said that the EU would cave 2 years ago and that the UK had a strong position.

We all know how that prediction worked out....

Deleted
    ut oh BMW...

but who cares about the car industry, after brexit we will be able to go to the old colonies and return with nutmeg and spices the likes of which the world has never seen!

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...trade-deal-nhs

super hard Brexit, so UK can kiss Trump's ass and be its servant for all eternity ? yeah, why not....

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...trade-deal-nhs

super hard Brexit, so UK can kiss Trump's ass and be its servant for all eternity ? yeah, why not....
    Oh that's hillarious.

It gets rid of any customer protections, workers rights, enviromental protections, UK sovereignty, everything...

The only thing it keeps compared with the EU is... free movement of people, but with the US instead.

It's probably what Trump wants with everyone, that'S why he wants to get rid of the EU so desperately.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Oh that's hillarious.

It gets rid of any customer protections, workers rights, enviromental protections, UK sovereignty, everything...

The only thing it keeps compared with the EU is... free movement of people, but with the US instead.

It's probably what Trump wants with everyone, that'S why he wants to get rid of the EU so desperately.
    Jurisdiction would be US courts, I presume?

Jurisdiction would be US courts, I presume?
    Here is the original source: Summary, Full

Basically, it is a copy of the EU, just with everything that could possibly benefit the people cut out.
    Instead it is all about money and profits at any cost.

If you want to maximize the sum total of suffering and misery in the world, I suppose this would be a way to do it.
    Thus I guess I can propose a name for this vision of the future: Hell.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2018-09-18 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Here is the original source: Summary, Full

Basically, it is a copy of the EU, just with everything that could possibly benefit the people cut out.
    Instead it is all about money and profits at any cost.

If you want to maximize the sum total of suffering and misery in the world, I suppose this would be a way to do it.
    Thus I guess I can propose a name for this vision of the future: Hell.
    I'm not sure I have the patience to read through the summary. What you said is quite enough for me to hate the idea already. The British don't deserve serfdom to the corporate overlords. Bit sad about it.