View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Just to keep this relevant and uptodate...

We're still looking at a solution to the Irish problem by mid-November. The Irish Premier doesn't think it likely, but says an agreement early December would still be possible.

In other news, a Scottish court had been tasked by Remainers to determine whether or not the UK can withdraw from Art. 50 unilaterally. This has been bumped up to the EU courts and they're now officially figuring that one out. I know we've discussed this in this thread, so I thought this would be interesting for some.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Weber likely to win as president of the Commission is kind of scary. The man is beyond competent but also reportedly impossible to work with.

As for the new deal being discussed I am very wary. We haven't seen anything yet about it.
    Would have rather had to other guy myself but he's buddies with everyone so he was expected to win. Sadly going to be another centrist with no real influence to push things forward and too occupied with keeping everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Would have rather had to other guy myself but he's buddies with everyone so he was expected to win. Sadly going to be another centrist with no real influence to push things forward and too occupied with keeping everyone happy.
    We will have a competent man at the EC's helm for a change.
    I'd be more worried about Romania's upcoming presidency of the Council

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    We will have a competent man at the EC's helm for a change.
    I'd be more worried about Romania's upcoming presidency of the Council
    Competent or not, we'll have a person that at one side votes in favour of sanctions against Orban but at the same time goes and help him campaign. I don't trust fence sitters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Jackdaws View Post
    The Tories already came out a few times this year and said the migration numbers probably won't change much with Brexit, because they need the workforce....

So no clue what you mean... Politicians won't stop the immigrants businesses need to make money.
    The numbers may not change but the overall quality will. EU supermarket car washers will be rejected (we don't really need any more of them) in favour of highly skilled curry chefs from Bangladesh who we do. Yummmeee for me. I just wonder what hidden agenda the remainers and europhiles have that they don't seem to like this. Is it cos dem curry chefs are brown? Seems a bit selfishly racist to me to not have a level immigration playing field for all... EU immigrants are special because in the main they are white? Those days are long gone thankfully, well at least in the UK if not the EU.

Oh well there is still no deal forthcoming as far as I can see.

If the EU want a backstop to the Irish border time is running out for them to make the necessary concessions to the UK. Otherwise in 141 days the UK leaves and the EU will have nothing and no backstop whatsoever. Do they want a backstop or don't they? And what price are the EU willing to pay for this cherry picking?

Tick Tock.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The numbers may not change but the overall quality will. EU supermarket car washers will be rejected (we don't really need any more of them) in favour of highly skilled curry chefs from Bangladesh who we do. Yummmeee for me. I just wonder what hidden agenda the remainers and europhiles have that they don't seem to like this. Is it cos dem curry chefs are brown? Seems a bit selfishly racist to me to not have a level immigration playing field for all... EU immigrants are special because in the main they are white? Those days are long gone thankfully, well at least in the UK if not the EU.

Oh well there is still no deal forthcoming as far as I can see.

If the EU want a backstop to the Irish border time is running out for them to make the necessary concessions to the UK. Otherwise in 141 days the UK leaves and the EU will have nothing and no backstop whatsoever. Do they want a backstop or don't they? And what price are the EU willing to pay for this cherry picking?

Tick Tock.
    At least the last few days have made it a lot clearer why you've hitched your wagon to the Brexit cause. Because none of the whole crowd of them have the vaguest idea what the fuck they're doing. They didn't realise the implications, they didn't understand the complexities, they ignored the negative ramifications. And pretty much every post you've written from minute one proves that your ignorance is right up there with your glorious leaders.

Keep tellling us that the EU are going to blink. Keep telling us we are going to end up with a no-deal scenario. Tick, fucking, tock as much as you like. You are still going to be wrong at the end of this, and history will look back at you and your crowd and laugh. I just hope you will have the stones to come back to this forum when it happens and hold your hand up to it.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    At least the last few days have made it a lot clearer why you've hitched your wagon to the Brexit cause. Because none of the whole crowd of them have the vaguest idea what the fuck they're doing. They didn't realise the implications, they didn't understand the complexities, they ignored the negative ramifications. And pretty much every post you've written from minute one proves that your ignorance is right up there with your glorious leaders.

Keep tellling us that the EU are going to blink. Keep telling us we are going to end up with a no-deal scenario. Tick, fucking, tock as much as you like. You are still going to be wrong at the end of this, and history will look back at you and your crowd and laugh. I just hope you will have the stones to come back to this forum when it happens and hold your hand up to it.
    Oh I'm not saying they will blink, I hope they don't to enable that sweet no deal. The EU have boxed themselves into a corner. Either they humiliatingly bend the knee to the UK in order to achieve the cherished backstop or they don't and get nothing.

I still think the tolerant open minded brexiteers will win the day over the white supremist EU fanatic remainers.

Not long to go until we find out now, so yeah tickety fucking tock as you say.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Ah, here's the article finally...

https://www.businessinsider.de/there...8-11?r=UK&IR=T

The amusing bit is that May tried to prevent this court decision. It's like someone has a security rope attached to the UK just before jumping off the cliff, but May stubbornly wants to sever it. Because... less options are good for the nation, I suppose?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46142188

And the true extent of Brexit competence is displayed by Dominic Raab. What's he doing again? Brexit minister? Good thing someone told him about Dover-Calais. What an embarassment it would've been if he hadn't known that bit...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    What does Greece have to offer that I would want to buy? Apart from food. Or Spain? And the only italian products that I'd like to buy are too expensive for me and probably have more horsepower than would be good for my driving temperament. It's not all economics, mate. It is a big chunk of it, but a good portion is also people being entitled to handouts without actually doing anything themselves. The EU isn't a welfare union. People have to start understanding how it works, otherwise they'll be in a shithole. I'm fairly certain we'll not bail out another country like Greece. The next one that decides to test the water will probably be let lose. There is no political will at all to try this a second time.
    Again, you are an ignorant, and you are prooving it once again. The italian economy is far more bigger than what you think. Their manufactoring sector is second only to germany in europe. FAR FAR bigger than you're holland-sweden friends. They sell a lot of stuff in naval, engeenering, manufactoring section. It was one of the strongest economy in the world before....guess what? The Eu. Or maybe you are going to think Italy went into G8 by the german credit card? Ahahaha pathetic as usual, typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarw View Post
    Again, you are an ignorant, and you are prooving it once again. The italian economy is far more bigger than what you think. Their manufactoring sector is second only to germany in europe. FAR FAR bigger than you're holland-sweden friends. They sell a lot of stuff in naval, engeenering, manufactoring section. It was one of the strongest economy in the world before....guess what? The Eu. Or maybe you are going to think Italy went into G8 by the german credit card? Ahahaha pathetic as usual, typical.
    Okay, clearly you haven't read what I said. Lots of wasted time on your part. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarw View Post
    The Euro. Not the EU. That is kind of the important point here. Italy was in the EU for most of its tenure as one of the strongest economies in the world. Heck, it was a founding member.
    Italy's biggest issue was joining the Euro out of political motivation, when economically, it would have made sense not to.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46142188

And the true extent of Brexit competence is displayed by Dominic Raab. What's he doing again? Brexit minister? Good thing someone told him about Dover-Calais. What an embarassment it would've been if he hadn't known that bit...
    This legitimately makes me miss David Davis in the position and that in itself worries me even more

I wonder if they'll be able to drag their feet for long enough that they'll setup a re-vote. "Hard-Brexit" or "Stay in EU" (if they can even do that now lol according to the EU)

Hard-Brexit looks like a disaster for the UK.
    Last edited by therayeffect; 2018-11-10 at 02:42 AM.

Well... the court trial will be happening on November 27th, apparently. A professor of law in Germany has written a few lines about this. And he points out that its expected result would be the finding that the UK cannot unilaterally withdraw from Art. 50. The main argument would be that time extensions that require a unanimous decision would be undermined if the UK could simply withdraw and then resubmit Article 50 whenever it suits them.

It doesn't take much imagination to consider that a unanimous decision of the EU would not happen. Apart from smaller countries using it as a lever to blackmail for something, you'd have a lot of oppositions in every member state that would raise a lot of clamor about the lack of action from their Governments if they tolerate Britain deciding this on its own. The political will is not negligible in this matter.

While I think a withdrawal would be the simplest solution, overall, I doubt it's the smartest solution.

German source for this stuff: https://www.lto.de/recht/hintergruen...ttserklaerung/

So Boris Johnson's own brother quit the cabinate and demanded a people's vote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46155403

Seems like only Boris is the one without brains in the family. Their sister quit the party and joined Lib Dems due to the fiasco over Brexit.

Deleted
    dribbles getting ready for the blink

good times

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    So Boris Johnson's own brother quit the cabinate and demanded a people's vote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46155403

Seems like only Boris is the one without brains in the family. Their sister quit the party and joined Lib Dems due to the fiasco over Brexit.
    So, basically Brexit boils down to a bully trolling his little brother and sister? That's why a country is on the brink of a desaster? Can someone put him into prison already?

So, basically Brexit boils down to a bully trolling his little brother and sister? That's why a country is on the brink of a desaster? Can someone put him into prison already?
    I think it's more Boris so desperate to be PM and is scared to backtrack.

Jo Johnson is keeping up with the push for a new vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46162114

The UK needs to "pause and reflect" before doing something "irrevocably stupid" over Brexit, Jo Johnson said a day after quitting as a minister.

On BBC Radio 4's Today he called again for another referendum, saying what was being offered fell "spectacularly short" of what had been promised.

The ex-transport minister said it would be a "democratic travesty" to not have another vote.

He denied his actions amounted to a coup against the prime minister.

Mr Johnson, who voted to remain in the EU in the 2016 referendum, stood down as Theresa May's prospective deal with Brussels was being presented to Cabinet ministers.

Mr Johnson warned the UK faced a choice between "vassalage" under her proposals and "chaos" if it left the EU without a deal.

The MP for Orpington in Kent said he had "happily taken the decision" to end his own ministerial career and, when asked if he thought other ministers would resign, he said if they thought it was right thing for them to take a stand then "good on them".

Cabinet ministers have been invited this week to read the UK's draft withdrawal deal with the EU. Mrs May has said the withdrawal deal is 95% done - but there is no agreement yet on how to guarantee no hard border in Northern Ireland.

Downing Street has insisted there will not be another referendum "under any circumstances".

Asked whether he agreed with Mr Johnson's call, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said: "Not really, no. The referendum took place. The issue now has to be how we bring people together, bring people together around the principles of our economy, our rights."

He said Labour would hold the government to account over any Brexit deal put to the Commons and could still vote against it.

Jo Johnson's resignation feels like a very significant moment.

Here is a former Remain-supporting Conservative minister saying what others mutter privately about Brexit.

His lacerating criticism of the government's negotiation and call for another referendum has opened another flank in the Tory party for Theresa May to worry about.

Tory whips know many (40, 50, more?) Brexiteers are threatening to vote against any deal she gets from the EU in the Commons because they think it ties the UK too closely to the EU.

But the whips must also worry about Remainer Tories determined to derail the whole thing because of the costs they fear Brexit will inflict on the country.

With no majority in the Commons, No10's task could have just got harder.

Mr Johnson's resignation also fires up those in all parties who say another referendum is now needed - a suggestion again slapped down by Downing Street.

But right now, in the middle of this remembrance weekend, Mrs May will be relieved his resignation has not prompted others to follow him out of government.

There has been no domino effect, yet.

But while Westminster waits for the PM to put her final Brexit blueprint before the Cabinet for approval, these are febrile days.

In a resignation statement on Friday, Mr Johnson, who is the brother of former foreign secretary and leading Brexiteer Boris Johnson, argued Britain was "on the brink of the greatest crisis" since World War Two, saying what was on offer wasn't "anything like what was promised".

Mr Johnson told Today: "My view is that this is so different from what was billed that it would be an absolute travesty if we do not go back to the people and ask them if they actually do want to exit the EU on this extraordinarily hopeless basis."

Asked if his brother had lied to voters during the referendum, he said: "In the campaign there were undoubtedly promises made that have shown to be undeliverable. No-one can dispute that.

"It was a false prospectus. It was a fantasy set of promises that have been shown up for what they were. We are now faced with the reality of that in the form of a deal the prime minister is about to bring back before parliament."

He added he had become "deeply concerned" about the potential impact of a no-deal outcome while a minister.

Conservative MP and leading Brexiteer, Jacob Rees-Mogg, and the former First Secretary of State Damian Green, both rejected another referendum.

Mr Green told Today it "would be divisive but it wouldn't be decisive", and all the evidence showed the country was "still, more or less, split down the middle".

Mr Rees-Mogg said Mr Johnson was "re-heating 'Project Fear' to stop us leaving".

Mr Johnson is the sixth minister in Theresa May's government to resign specifically over Brexit, following David Davis, Boris Johnson, Philip Lee, Steve Baker and Guto Bebb.

Deleted
    shame corbyn is being a cunt and all.

labour should call for another vote = getting elected next GE.

fucking basics here.

Labour is still in a civil war between the members as a whole and the MPs. Corbyn won't budge because he's anti EU along with the shadow chancellor. Plus I am absolutely certain he wants to be opposition so he can do all the complaining without ever having to govern.

Until the Labour members realise this instead of being "I'd rather lose with someone 100% my side than with with 90% my side." then there's no chance. Corbyn himself is unelectable. Labour getting the votes they did were in spite of not because of Corbyn. Labour is viewed better than the Tories but Corbyn is viewed much much worse than May meaning he's scaring people off.