View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    That is not true. May was bookies favourite from the moment Gove announced his intention to run for the leadership and she won both the first and second ballots before Leadsome withdrew before the third; member's vote.
    Yes, because Gove standing was a back-stabbing move which undermined Johnson, leading to both of them pulling out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Yes, because Gove standing was a back-stabbing move which undermined Johnson, leading to both of them pulling out.
    Gove never pulled out, he polled third in both the first (ahead of Crabb and Fox) and second ballots and was therefore eliminated after the second.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The numbers may not change but the overall quality will.
    I love it how you seamlessly move from conceding the point to a new fairy tale that comforts you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    That is quite the understatement. It's not difficult to figure out, really. It's impossible. The UK's wish to implement hard borders around the UK towards the EU and control their borders directly is the direct opposite of their obligation in the GFA to maintain no border between the RoI and Northern Ireland.

The EU hasn't even done anything at this point, yet. This is just what the UK has in its head. And then you have the EU step in and say, alright, you want out, but that means our outer border shifts to the RoI. Which means, there has to be a border, from both sides, between RoI and NI. And thus the GFA will be violated and the UK will have to deal with Troubles 2.0.

Believe me, if there was a solution, someone would have suggested it by now. According to the EU timetable, we are at 12:00 right now. Every day delay means less room to somehow wriggle a last minute agreement out of anyone.
    I often wonder if they can seriously, honestly be this incompetent, or if they all know they're stuck between a rock and a hard place and are simply running out the clock while making vague excuses because that's all a life in politics has trained them to do.

End of the day, either they'll reach a deal at the 11th hour (almost certainly an unpleasant one for the UK), or more likely default to hard Brexit because they couldn't get their shit together. But no matter what there will either be a border or there won't. Either the Brexiteers get the shaft or Ireland does.

I don't know how it could be more clear, May gambled on a bigger majority in the election and lost everything, now she's dependent on the DUP that makes her incapable of negotiating Brexit because she can't push for an Irish border. Which only leaves the other option, which is to be in the EU in all but name, which infuriates the actual Brexiteers.

If they want Brexit to mean Brexit, ironically the only path forward is to boot May and elect a government that will commit to an Irish border (either Tories with an increased majority or Labour). If anyone is willing to push that as a policy. But I'm guessing they aren't.

GG no re, basically.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2018-11-12 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Oh also so you are aware pharmacists are not allowed to use the generic flu vaccination on over 65s thanks to some legislations so telling them to go to boots and getting it done there is pointless because they’ll get turned away thank your brexit loving morons in parliament for that one.
    The flu vaccine has been split in two age groups for the first time in the UK this year. The reason for shortages of the Fluad vaccine is down to EU incompetence in giving type approval to it in a timely fashion as we approach winter. It is as though the fact that winter is coming took the EU by surprise.

If UK pensioners die this winter it will be the fault of the EU and remainers that vote to stay within it.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    c) May is playing party politics and has put all her chips on her Chequers plan, attacking everything that could present an alternative to the parliament or even the people. This is why she attacked the case in the ECJ on whether the UK can unilaterally revoke Article 50 (which would give her an option to stop Brexit), this is why she is against a referendum and this is why she is against a meaningful vote in Parliament beyond "Take my plan or get nothing". Her plan is so bad that the only way to sell it is to make the alternative the cliff of "No deal". The first part is extremely important because if the UK CAN unilaterally revoke Article 50, they would keep all special treatment while otherwise they would have to drop such treatment and possibly even make further concessions to rejoin. If the ECJ says yes and a referendum happens, Leave has no new argument while otherwise they can argue that staying without the rebate is not worth it.
    She isn't still pushing that Chequers zombie is she?

I suppose the court case on Article 50 could be useful political cover, but really I doubt Britain would have any problems reversing A50 if it so chose. The EU would be quite happy with that outcome I imagine, we all know the rules can be bent if both sides want them to be.

I've always thought enacting A50 so soon was an early blunder, that thing was pretty much the UK's only bargaining chip.

- - - Updated - - -

The flu vaccine has been split in two age groups for the first time in the UK this year. The reason for shortages of the Fluad vaccine is down to EU incompetence in giving type approval to it in a timely fashion as we approach winter. It is as though the fact that winter is coming took the EU by surprise.

If UK pensioners die this winter it will be the fault of the EU and remainers that vote to stay within it.
    I'm sure you can afford more vaccine with your new 350 million pounds per week in the NHS.

Oh wait, that was a lie.

Here is the thing, if they win that case in the ECJ it means that if they elect to stay, it's like it never happened. All the special privileges including the rebate will still be there and only up for discussion at a later day. If they have to seek approval by everyone else, it will be a negotiation again and the rebate in particular is very likely to be lost. Winning that case makes revocation much more palatable by stripping one of the arguments of the opposing side.
    Exactly the reason why I thought going through with A50 was such a stupid move.

Honestly, the amount of foot-shooting is incredible.

Yes, because it's the EU that the NHS ordered the vaccine late, because of a new jab, right? See, this is what tools like you do. You fuck up, then you blame the EU for your fuckup. Consider this a preview of next year's season. Btw, the fun bit? Your order has to be in by March for a delivery in time for flu season. So... tick tock, baby. Wait it out. Because nobody on mainland Europe is going to even consider a sale until your little game is over and everyone knows what's what.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

More quality reality slap to brexiteers from the three blokes. Which since it mostly talks about medical side of things seems like a nice coincidence for it to have been posted up on youtube same time we have NHS talk.

They've mentioned problems in the medical sector a few times, I'm glad they're now diving deep into those issues.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

7+ Year Old Account
    It's amazing how we keep having a flurry of statements about the negotiations from the UK (They get like 5-6 articles on Reuters every week) and almost nothing from the EU, with a new statement by UK officials every time the sterling lags a bit. We might actually see something by the end of the week. Which makes me assume that either they made a smaller deal for specific aspects of trade that are crucial and for membership in key EU bodies, or that they folded and are going with Barnier's Ireland solution which will force the DUP's hand.

Imo May SHOULD force the DUP's hand and call their bluff
    The EU are going to get what they don't want unless they compromise. Their current position means a hard border and a no deal is almost inevitable.

The Brexit secretary is privately pushing for a no-deal Brexit

http://uk.businessinsider.com/domini...brexit-2018-11

Hours until what is being said privately is said publicly?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    The EU are going to get what they don't want unless they compromise. Their current position means a hard border and a no deal is almost inevitable.

Sooo, who are you going to export to the stuff you're currently exporting?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Legally the EU can't compromise. WTO rules basically means a hard border has to be somewhere. They can't put it between Europe and Ireland. That means either between Ireland and Northern Ireland or in the Irish sea. (Or thirdly May stops being dumb and keeps UK within customs union and single market and put it stays where it is.)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Legally the EU can't compromise. WTO rules basically means a hard border has to be somewhere. They can't put it between Europe and Ireland. That means either between Ireland and Northern Ireland or in the Irish sea. (Or thirdly May stops being dumb and keeps UK within customs union and single market and put it stays where it is.)
    Well its not Mays choice, that is down to the government and with cross party support (Except the Lib Dem) there will not be a UK imposed hard border. They will have to put the Irish border in Calais and why not? It is an EU created and manufactured problem after all, no EU = no problem.

Here is one Labour MPs take on it all.

Kate Hoey: I Won’t Vote For A Brexit Deal That Panders To The Irish Government’s Hypocrisy

https://labourlist.org/2018/11/kate-...nts-hypocrisy/

Much of what she says is quite right too, never thought I would say that....Looks like remainers are still down to that one man army Sir Vince Cable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well its not Mays choice, that is down to the government and with cross party support (Except the Lib Dem) there will not be a UK imposed hard border. They will have to put the Irish border in Calais and why not? It is an EU created and manufactured problem after all, no EU = no problem.

Kate Hoey: I Won’t Vote For A Brexit Deal That Panders To The Irish Government’s Hypocrisy

Much of what she says is quite right too, never thought I would say that....Looks like remainers are still down to that one man army Sir Vince Cable.
    So another MP that has no idea what she's talking about and what the problem is. Unsurprisingly you agree with her.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

It's not a EU made problem. The Irish border will be to Northern Ireland. You can deal with the Troubles 2.0 on your own. What your MPs think is going on is absolutely irrelevant as far as the EU is concerned. You have two options: You comply with EU conditions or you get boxed in by the WTO. The EU will comply with the WTO regulations. The EU will keep the integrity of the European Union intact. The UK is a remote third of the considerations. And the EU will not solve your problems for you. You wanted to be sovereign. So, be sovereign. But nice attempt blaming the EU for your own fuckup once more. Pathetic loser...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46188790

Some kind of draft deal seems to be agreed. By way Bojo is crying it's obviously one thing. May caved in hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46188790

Some kind of draft deal seems to be agreed. By way Bojo is crying it's obviously one thing. May caved in hard.
    UK and EU negotiators agreed that there will be a UK-wide "backstop" if they fail to negotiate a trade deal that negates the need for border checks on the island of Ireland before the end of the two-year Brexit transition period.

The backstop will take the shape of a UK-wide customs union with the EU, with Northern Ireland sticking to some of the European single market. This would guarantee no border checks between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

However, the backstop is not set to come with a fixed end-date, as demanded by pro-Brexit MPs. Instead, it will come with a "review clause" for deciding when it can come to an end. Brexiteers are concerned that this arrangement will leave the UK trapped in a customs union with the EU for years to come, unable to sign new free trade deals.

Just what you wanted, Dribs! Congratulations!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    UK and EU negotiators agreed that there will be a UK-wide "backstop" if they fail to negotiate a trade deal that negates the need for border checks on the island of Ireland before the end of the two-year Brexit transition period.

The backstop will take the shape of a UK-wide customs union with the EU, with Northern Ireland sticking to some of the European single market. This would guarantee no border checks between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

However, the backstop is not set to come with a fixed end-date, as demanded by pro-Brexit MPs. Instead, it will come with a "review clause" for deciding when it can come to an end. Brexiteers are concerned that this arrangement will leave the UK trapped in a customs union with the EU for years to come, unable to sign new free trade deals.

Just what you wanted, Dribs! Congratulations!
    Nothing to see here...yawn...

It is very possible remainer May has had her Chamberlain moment. Without a unilateral UK clause to end the backstop will it get through cabinet and parliament? No chance. No deal is another day closer eurochums, wake me up when you have something new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Nothing to see here...yawn...

It is very possible remainer May has had her Chamberlain moment. Without a unilateral UK clause to end the backstop will it get through cabinet and parliament? No chance. No deal is another day closer eurochums, wake me up when you have something new.
    How rich are you @dribbles?

You're seriously that rich that you will be able to absorb the economic impact of no deal?

You do understand that the rest of us aren't that wealthy?

You do understand that the rest of us, possibly, might be a little upset at the prospect of being less well off because of no deal?

No deal is the sole luxury of: super-rich right-wingers, racist pensioners on triple-locked pensions, and the very poor. Yes, this is more or less the 52% who voted Leave.

The minority views of BJ, Farage, Rees-Mogg, Carswell, Davis, etc. and all those other slathering, rabid fucktards are not those of the sane majority.

I will fight, with every breath in my body, a no deal.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    How rich are you @dribbles?

You're seriously that rich that you will be able to absorb the economic impact of no deal?

You do understand that the rest of us aren't that wealthy?

You do understand that the rest of us, possibly, might be a little upset at the prospect of being less well off because of no deal?

No deal is the sole luxury of: super-rich right-wingers, racist pensioners on triple-locked pensions, and the very poor. Yes, this is more or less the 52% who voted Leave.

The minority views of BJ, Farage, Rees-Mogg, Carswell, Davis, etc. and all those other slathering, rabid fucktards are not those of the sane majority.

I will fight, with every breath in my body, a no deal.
    I seriously doubt he understands the impact of no deal Brexit for every Brit, regardless of their wealth.