View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Not really, the Lisbon treaty foresees that the number of commissioners need to be set by unanimous council decision, so the number could be reduced, or increased in theory.
    That's my understanding at least.
    Ah, I think you're right. After 2014, it is no longer required to have each member state contribute members. Having said that, they still sit in the Council and the EP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    If all countries (including Theresa May) agree, the extension will happen at an international level. The HoC could vote against it (the ERG tried and failed to do this with the last extension), but that would just lead to domestic UK legal issues - a disconnect between UK law saying we have left and international law saying we have not left.
    It's not just international law, it's EU law. International law is... flexible, it can be bent and ignored. EU law takes legal precedence. That's hardcoded and whatever the legal problems in the UK are, they become void if they contradict EU law.

See, the UK agreed to this when they helped create the EU. Before anyone comes up with oppression again.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    If all countries (including Theresa May) agree, the extension will happen at an international level. The HoC could vote against it (the ERG tried and failed to do this with the last extension), but that would just lead to domestic UK legal issues - a disconnect between UK law saying we have left and international law saying we have not left.
    I don't particularly care about domestic UK issues, I just want this lunacy done with. I would prefer no delay and the UK gone Friday as this has gone on long enough and I'm saying that as a true EU-believer.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Ah, I think you're right. After 2014, it is no longer required to have each member state contribute members. Having said that, they still sit in the Council and the EP.
    Sure, although there were talks to have meetings with the 27 for all matters related to the EU's future, and keep the UK out of them. The actual votes would then happen once the UK left if they think it's something that could be opposed. (which could work with a short extension).
    As for the EP I expect them to show up to collect their paychecks and head home at the first opportunity. I'd be surprised if any British MEP get serious roles in committees.

Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Sure, although there were talks to have meetings with the 27 for all matters related to the EU's future, and keep the UK out of them. The actual votes would then happen once the UK left if they think it's something that could be opposed. (which could work with a short extension).
    As for the EP I expect them to show up to collect their paychecks and head home at the first opportunity. I'd be surprised if any British MEP get serious roles in committees.
    Have you not heard Farage talk? He loves being a cunt. He'll spent every minute he doesn't have to be in a committee in parliament insulting the fuck out of everybody until someone mans up and punches his frogface in. And even then you'll hear him insult the paramedics on the way to the hospital...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Which would violate the EU treaties.
    Just like some of the outlandish Brexit proposals. They're just bargaining positions.

The EP election could actually become a rather interesting test of the state of mind of the UK. Remainers - if they have any sense - ought to do everything they could to send their people in order to show a serious interest in good relations with and participation in the EU. If the UK sends us Nigel Farage clones or worse I will seriously consider joining the "Fuck off UK - Deal or no deal" crowd.

Of course we also have the ever present option of utter apathy, miserable voter turn-out and disinterested second-rate candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibblewink View Post
    Of course we also have the ever present option of utter apathy, miserable voter turn-out and disinterested second-rate candidates.
    I put my money on this one. Whoever runs for the EP elections in the UK has little chance of actually having a job in the end, unless there is a long extension. And if they do it might be only for a few months. I'd expect only third-rate wankers and UKIP wannabes to run.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you not heard Farage talk? He loves being a cunt. He'll spent every minute he doesn't have to be in a committee in parliament insulting the fuck out of everybody until someone mans up and punches his frogface in. And even then you'll hear him insult the paramedics on the way to the hospital...
    Oh I have, but he has tabled about 2 motions in all his career, and has worked basically in the fish committee and not much else. He is loud, and he is a cunt, but that does not make him influential in the EP, nor particularly useful or threatening either way. He is just a waste of money and oxygen.
    He sits in the EP because he has no chance at home, just like Le Pen.
    edit: Look at his voting record … https://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-vo...tatistics.html he is ranking 747 out of 749 with 40% participation in votes.
    Last edited by Demolitia; 2019-04-10 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Tell me why you believe that the backstop isn't a legitimate threat to UK sovereignty then? Geoffrey Cox couldn't sign off on it and he's the AG.
    It isn't though.
    For one simple reason: The GFA.
    There is no way for the UK to get out of the GFA short of breaking it, thus the backstop makes no difference--unless the UK thinks agreements with the RoI do not matter to begin with.

The backstop is onle a threat to UK sovereignty if one assumes that the UK will break the GFA no matter what, that it negotiates in bad faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    It isn't though.
    For one simple reason: The GFA.
    There is no way for the UK to get out of the GFA short of breaking it, thus the backstop makes no difference--unless the UK thinks agreements with the RoI do not matter to begin with.

The backstop is onle a threat to UK sovereignty if one assumes that the UK will break the GFA no matter what, that it negotiates in bad faith.
    I don't think the UK government and most of the voters give a fuck about the GFA. So what if some Irish blood is spilled? It is a price worth paying if it means less Poles and Moozies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I don't think the UK government and most of the voters give a fuck about the GFA. So what if some Irish blood is spilled? It is a price worth paying if it means less Poles and Moozies.
    That's what I think, too, thus there is no reason for them not to accept the backstop, really.
    If they really want they can break it, too. If they have no honour to begin with then no agreement ever will limit their "sovereignty".
    (Because someone who cannot enter binding agreements does not have any.)

That's what I think, too, thus there is no reason for them not to accept the backstop, really.
    If they really want they can break it, too. If they have no honour to begin with then no agreement ever will limit their "sovereignty".
    A good point.

It is a good point, but the people arguing that the backstop will "trap" the UK are not arguing in good faith to begin with, so logic does not really change the situation.

Except that a fair amount of the bombings went on in london and other parts of the UK as well. I think people have just stupidly forgot how ugly and dangerous shit was getting before the GFA took hold. Although honestly I think if a hard border or a hard bexit go up the push for irish unification would be pretty strong and there is a good chance that northern ireland votes to reunify.

off topic about the banking system

That's a load of bollocks. You can change the system properly without burning everything down.
    You kinda have to burn it down to change, tho. Our banking system is a fractional reserve system, to change the system you'd have to get rid of it which pretty much means burning the system down. Look up "Giralgeldschöpfung", but a bit deeper than the wikipedia article. Try something like this book.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Except that a fair amount of the bombings went on in london and other parts of the UK as well. I think people have just stupidly forgot how ugly and dangerous shit was getting before the GFA took hold. Although honestly I think if a hard border or a hard bexit go up the push for irish unification would be pretty strong and there is a good chance that northern ireland votes to reunify.
    I think a lot of people don't even know about the bombings in England. I live maybe 20 mins from Guildford and I would say the majority of people I have spoken to about these sorts of things don't know there was an IRA bomb there.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    off topic about the banking system

You kinda have to burn it down to change, tho. Our banking system is a fractional reserve system, to change the system you'd have to get rid of it which pretty much means burning the system down. Look up "Giralgeldschöpfung", but a bit deeper than the wikipedia article. Try something like this book.
    I didn't say it was easy. But the alternative would be people dying. No, that's not an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Posturing to be obstructive in the EU if an extension is give is like letting your neighbor know you're going to shit in his yard. It gives the other time to prepare as you already let them know another know, Brits really don't do this game of politics well.

Also to prevent EU sanctions you need support of other member States so they are either going to fuck you over on some other way for it or you find nobody and the Brits will really learn what it's like to be an island in the big world.

Give them an extension don't give them one, at the end of the day they are fucked either way.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Agreed. I live in Scotland, we were unscathed bombing wise, though Glasgow University had a bomb scare recently, those responsible were reportedly dissident republicans. England on the other hand, I am old enough to remember the end days of the troubles and of the bombings, they didn't get off so lightly. People have short memories. The little Englanders think that any trouble will be kept to the island of Ireland. History has taught us that this isn't true. No sane person should want a return to those days. If that means people need to live near people with funny accents and names, I think that is a price worth paying.

The disdain shown to Northern Ireland by such a large chunk of the UK electorate and the brexiteers should act as a wake up call for the unionists. They want to be part of a union that doesn't give a fuck about them. You can't cut ties with the EU and not have a hard border in Ireland. You cannot cut ties with the EU and maintain the GFA. You either need some sort of EU integration, or you need the hard border. These fairy tails about magical technological solutions that don't currently exist solving the problem....I struggle to accept that serious politicians peddle this kind of unicorn hunting fantasy. Sadly this is where we are. And it remain campaigners need to take some responsibility here too, I heard barely a word about the Irish border during the campaigning, and I tend to watch the mainstream news in the UK, it was not an argument being made by the leads. Things might not be perfect in Northern Ireland, but the GFA has brought relative peace for the people of Northern Ireland and to the UK, people need to be very careful about ripping it up and as it stands I don't think they have been.

Quote Originally Posted by fnalth View Post
    What the fuck do you think happens when trillions of taxpayer money gets diverted to the richest in society out of resources previously dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in society? You really are a fucking idiot.
    What a good argument, you've convinced me.

And it remain campaigners need to take some responsibility here too, I heard barely a word about the Irish border during the campaigning, and I tend to watch the mainstream news in the UK, it was not an argument being made by the leads
    Blair and Major brought it up repeatedly, but were repeatedly dismissed as project fear.

The disdain shown to Northern Ireland by such a large chunk of the UK electorate and the brexiteers should act as a wake up call for the unionists.
    DUP MPs have been quoted as saying roughly "remaining in the EU is preferable to the current withdrawal agreement", so they are thankfully not completely blind to this fact.