View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    And it remain campaigners need to take some responsibility here too, I heard barely a word about the Irish border during the campaigning, and I tend to watch the mainstream news in the UK, it was not an argument being made by the leads.
    Nope, it's that people didn't pay attention or they wilfully ignored what was being said at the time.

Theresa May
    George Osborne
    Major & Blair
    Mandy

I'm more than happy to acknowledge the vast majority of it passed me by too. But it's not right to say it wasn't discussed.

So, looks like the UK will get another extension. If that comes through, I will be a bit unsatisfied. It would depend on the conditions they set.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    So, looks like the UK will get another extension. If that comes through, I will be a bit unsatisfied. It would depend on the conditions they set.
    This was floating around earlier tonight:
    https://twitter.com/adamfleming/stat...48520061100032
    Not that it's legally binding.
    It seemed like Merkel and Macron were not quite on the same page when they arrived, but I haven't heard anything further since.
    I guess we should hear about the conclusions soon.
    edit: nevermind, it's not going to be a short meeting after all ...
    https://twitter.com/PatLeahyIT/statu...76239402479617
    Last edited by Demolitia; 2019-04-10 at 08:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure Slant, I read that France and another country are not convinced. I'm with you though, I would be unsatisfied as well. This is starting to drag along way too long.

Macron apparently says that No-deal is not the worst option.

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status...70875927859201
    Last edited by Iphie; 2019-04-10 at 08:39 PM.

Some rumours about March 2020 even... Jesus.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I'm not sure Slant, I read that France and another country are not convinced. I'm with you though, I would be unsatisfied as well. This is starting to drag along way too long.

Macron apparently says that No-deal is not the worst option.

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status...70875927859201
    Well ... no deal is certainly one of the shittiest options, but I don't have the patience for another year of this ...
    Has Angela spoken yet?

Some rumours about March 2020 even... Jesus.
    On the plus side, the longer we go without Brexit happening, the more Brexit voters die of old age. And the less politically damaging revoking Article 50 becomes. If we can get a really good turnout of pro-EU voters in the EU election as well, that would push us even further in that direction as well.

I told dribbles the other day, that a slightly softer version of May's deal was the best that he could possibly hope for now. I'm increasingly convinced he's not even getting that.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Well ... no deal is certainly one of the shittiest options, but I don't have the patience for another year of this ...
    Has Angela spoken yet?
    No deal is certainly not the best option, but I can imagine Macron wanting this to come to an end so that he can deal with his homefront, and, regardless of anything else, this situation needs to be resolved one way or another. I certainly do not wish to go through these motions every time the deadline approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    No deal is certainly not the best option, but I can imagine Macron wanting this to come to an end so that he can deal with his homefront, and, regardless of anything else, this situation needs to be resolved one way or another. I certainly do not wish to go through these motions every time the deadline approaches.
    He will not block an extension if he's alone in this. He wants a European renaissance, and no deal would certainly not help that. He also pledged again, no later than last week, his absolute support to Varadkar. Playing bad cop in this story might help him score points but I would be extremely surprised if there was no extension tonight because of him.
    edit: Plus we are headed for riot week number -I don't know, I lost count, but since November basically- this weekend, and the last thing he needs is a 100km queue of angry truckers stranded in Calais on top of it because he threw a tantrum tonight.
    Last edited by Demolitia; 2019-04-10 at 08:59 PM.

He will not block an extension if he's alone in this. He wants a European renaissance, and no deal would certainly not help that. He also pledged again, no later than last week, his absolute support to Varadkar. Playing bad cop in this story might help him score points but I would be extremely surprised if there was no extension tonight because of him.
    I agree. Macron's idea of a re-invented EU needs a lot of support from the other countries. He's not going to lose their support over what he considers a mere nuisance. The rhetoric he's employing now could be used later as credit to convince people of his views. And I think Merkel is happy letting him do that, because she's on her way out and for some reason I think she's flinching from throwing Germany's weight around. If Germany sides with France at any point tonight, this thing would be over faster than May can book a ticket home.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    On the plus side, the longer we go without Brexit happening, the more Brexit voters die of old age. And the less politically damaging revoking Article 50 becomes. If we can get a really good turnout of pro-EU voters in the EU election as well, that would push us even further in that direction as well.
    I really hope that's what they're going for ...
    If not, they're being way too nice to their UK politi-buddies.
    While all being cunts toward their respective peoples.

I agree. Macron's idea of a re-invented EU needs a lot of support from the other countries. He's not going to lose their support over what he considers a mere nuisance. The rhetoric he's employing now could be used later as credit to convince people of his views. And I think Merkel is happy letting him do that, because she's on her way out and for some reason I think she's flinching from throwing Germany's weight around. If Germany sides with France at any point tonight, this thing would be over faster than May can book a ticket home.
    Exactly, I think they pretty much agreed that she will do what she does best, being the no-nonsense voice of wisdom and compromise, and he will be the one applying pressure.
    edit: Macron seems to be pushing for a 30th of June extension

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post

I told dribbles the other day, that a slightly softer version of May's deal was the best that he could possibly hope for now. I'm increasingly convinced he's not even getting that.
    About the EP elections, if they happen. Considering they might just be done for fun, but nobody will actually sit in the EP in the end, who do you think will seriously run for it. Will the main parties actually spend money and effort trying to get people elected to no end?

- - - Updated - - -
    Looks like we are all following the same thing, but just in case:
    https://twitter.com/adamfleming/stat...85295794073600
    Last edited by Demolitia; 2019-04-10 at 09:13 PM.

About the EP elections, if they happen. Considering they might just be done for fun, but nobody will actually sit in the EP in the end, who do you think will seriously run for it. Will the main parties actually spend money and effort trying to get people elected to no end?
    Both Labour and the Conservatives have said they are preparing for the possibility of needing to field candidates in the the EP elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Both Labour and the Conservatives have said they are preparing for the possibility of needing to field candidates in the the EP elections.
    I'm sure they will. I'm wondering about the quality and seniority of said candidates, and the means that will be used to promote them. Also, what their stance on EU matters will be.
    edit I rephrased that last sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    My estimate the no deal extension will take away the opportunity from some brits to act as teenage trolls and so the extension might not even be accepted on the home front if May needs support that is considered how undemocratic the whole UK parliament is.

Lidington signed the order to prepare for European Elections on Monday, it comes into force today. The UK is now legally committed to holding the elections.

In case anybody was wondering, this time the government only needs to move a SI to change the exit date in law, because parliament already agreed to it in Letwin-Cooper Act.

I'm sure they will. I'm wondering about the quality and seniority of said candidates, and the means that will be used to promote them. Also, what their position will be.
    I don't think at any point in time Lab or Con could be accused of putting senior or quality candidates forward for EP elections.

Assuming we take part, I think it's possible that the EP elections will be tightly contested by the main parties as they will both be under fire from pro-Brexit parties, such as UKIP, as well as anti-Brexit parties, like Change UK, and seeing as there is a distinct possibility that there will a GE before the end of the year neither party will want to concede any ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    Lidington signed the order to prepare for European Elections on Monday, it comes into force today. The UK is now legally committed to holding the elections.

In case anybody was wondering, this time the government only needs to move a SI to change the exit date in law, because parliament already agreed to it in Letwin-Cooper Act.
    I understand the procedural and legal bits to organise elections is all in order. But say tonight they agree to a 30th of June extension.
    You will have EP elections because you have to, where the people who are elected will not actually expect to get a job as MEPs, unless there is another extension down the line. I doubt your brightest brains will agree to run for this.
    My concern is that these elections will be even more of a joke than the previous EP elections, and should, somehow, another extension happen past 30th of June, we will be stuck with a whole bunch of clowns from the UK at the EP. Ideally they will be like Farage and they won't do any actual work of voting

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think at any point in time Lab or Con could be accused of putting senior or quality candidates forward for EP elections.
    Fair enough.

UPDATE: SEVENTEEN countries spoke in favour of a long #Brexit extension. 1 for short. 3 open, leaning towards short according to @eucopresident upsum in the summit rooms

https://twitter.com/adamfleming/stat...85295794073600

I got an email asking if I wanted to run

*ahem* Make of that what you will. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.