View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydevours View Post
    Are we talking about the UK or a third world country here? Because at least in Germany the police is interested in every traffic accident with even the slightest damage to persons, even if it's just a stiff neck. And the toddler was evidentially hospitalized. Participants leaving the scene prematurely would be considered committing a hit and run in such a case.
    Then Germany is being very silly? Don't get to say that often lol.

Last accident I had, very minor bump, exchanged details and went our separate ways within 5 mins. Absolutely no need for the police.

Fair play though, we just can't afford that level of attention from the Police, with all the austerity they are struggling to even do the basics atm.
    Last edited by Kronik85; 2019-05-12 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dippinsawse View Post
    I wanted to watch this and get more perspective on the situation but I got like ten minutes into the first video and couldn't stomach it anymore. I know you have good intentions but this shit is such obvious propaganda. How do people see this and not notice the obvious emotional manipulation?

They haven't explained any positions yet but have devoted several minutes trying to establish silly things to pre program the viewer like how much of a good, normal, likable guy verhoefstadt is...See guys, he's just a down to earth dude who wants to make wine in his country villa and has a loving family and wife who he met and stayed with since he was 17. It's a classic manipulation tactic.
    It's almost like spending 30 years constantly churning out stories about how terrible the EU is; how it's run by faceless bureaucrats that waste money. How it comes up with terrible pointless laws that create red tape for no reason. That sort of manipulation you mean?

No harm in trying to balance the scales a little.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Then Germany is being very silly? Don't get to say that often lol.
    What is silly about being concerned about the wellbeing of road users?

Last accident I had, very minor bump, exchanged details and went our separate ways within 5 mins. Absolutely no need for the police.
    No damage to persons? Than this is absolutely reasonable and standard procedure in Germany a well

But if your child was hurt and had to go to the hospital you would obviously call the police, wouldn't you?
    Guns don't kill people! Toddlers kill people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.

What is silly about being concerned about the wellbeing of road users?

No damage to persons? Than this is absolutely reasonable and standard procedure in Germany a well

But if your child was hurt and had to go to the hospital you would obviously call the police, wouldn't you?
    Are they trained medical professionals? Because if my kid was hurt I'd ring for some kind of medical help rather than the police who will be asking me why the hell I'm ringing them to report a medical emergency rather than an ambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Are they trained medical professionals? Because if my kid was hurt I'd ring for some kind of medical help rather than the police who will be asking me why the hell I'm ringing them to report a medical emergency rather than an ambulance.
    Do medical personal collect evidence if the case has to go to court in your country?
    Guns don't kill people! Toddlers kill people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.

I wanted to watch this and get more perspective on the situation but I got like ten minutes into the first video and couldn't stomach it anymore. I know you have good intentions but this shit is such obvious propaganda. How do people see this and not notice the obvious emotional manipulation?

They haven't explained any positions yet but have devoted several minutes trying to establish silly things to pre program the viewer like how much of a good, normal, likable guy verhoefstadt is...See guys, he's just a down to earth dude who wants to make wine in his country villa and has a loving family and wife who he met and stayed with since he was 17. It's a classic manipulation tactic.
    Propaganda? It's an inside view of one side of negotiations. You can't get more biased than that. If you came into the video thinking it was going to be a neutral point of view, you're beyond delusion. They even said it in the video, they don't have to explain any positions. The UK started all of this, and it's on them to start explaining what they want to do. Something they, apparently, have not yet decided.
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-05-12 at 02:53 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Do medical personal collect evidence if the case has to go to court in your country?
    Only if there is a criminal case in the works. It's not strictly illegal to crash your car over here. Not looking at statistics right now since I'm shit posting whilst watching the title race at my mother in law's but I would at least imagine that the vast majority of road accidents in the UK arent investigated by the Police.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Propaganda? It's an inside view of one side of negotiations. You can't get more biased than that. If you came into the video thinking it was going to be a neutral point of view, you're beyond delusion. They even said it in the video, they don't have to explain any positions. The UK started all of this, and it's on them to start explaining what they want to do. Something they, apparently, have not yet decided.
    Told you this before Slant. Just give us all the benefits of being in the EU but with none of the associated costs. It's pretty simple. :P

I didn't expect a balanced viewpoint that represents both sides. I agree that would be silly. My point is that you can present one side's argument without these weird propaganda tactics of trying to make you like and identify with the core figure on their side. I'd like to see their side without the emotional manipulation where they show his wife cooking and shit.

It reminds me of those sob story videos my girlfriend shows me where someone finds a cat missing two legs and it focuses on the emotional hardships the owner deals with as it nurses it back to health. It uses similar documentary tactics designed to elicit an emotional reaction from the viewer. That's what I have a problem with.

I didn't expect a balanced viewpoint that represents both sides. I agree that would be silly. My point is that you can present one side's argument without these weird propaganda tactics of trying to make you like and identify with the core figure on their side. I'd like to see their side without the emotional manipulation where they show his wife cooking and shit.
    Who knew TV shows giving some background information on people involved caused this level of anger in some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    Who knew TV shows giving some background information on people involved caused this level of anger in some people.
    Please don't spoil the wokeness.

What anger?

And do you even disagree with my explanation for why the documentary did that? If so, why do you think they did that?

What anger?
    I wanted to watch this and get more perspective on the situation but I got like ten minutes into the first video and couldn't stomach it anymore.
    Being physically unable to watch more then 10 mins of a show because it dares to mention that the people involved might have a home life suggests a certain amount of anger.

And do you even disagree with my explanation for why the documentary did that? If so, why do you think they did that?
    Documentaries showing a human side to the professional people they focus on has been a thing for as long as documentaries have existed.

If shows focusing on MEPs who actually do work in Europe (unlike the racist twats we like to send who turn up once a month for edited social media clips and then leave again) had done more of this over the last 10-20 years, maybe "faceless Brussels bureaucrats" and other idiotic phrases would be less common in the UK.
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-05-12 at 04:33 PM.

Here's the EU position right now about UK leaving:

"Tell us what you want and we'll see if it breaks the 4 pillars.". That's it. You can't make a 2 hour video about what is essentially 1 line.

The documentary was showing how things are going through the eyes of the EU, how they see it and they see it as bonkers. They see our representatives as devoid of rationality. Especially the dumbfuck who was all "You're the ones screwing Ireland over." talk as if the Tories sent Dribbles to talk to Verhoefstad. Since the guy seemingly didn't know how WTO terms work.

Or when David Davis basically told them "You'll back down, you always do.".

The UK during this time made 2 main mistakes. Firstly they treated this part as a negotiation. It never was, it is and always has been a legal process. The negotiations happen next if the UK leaves deal or not. Secondly they either didn't know about WTO terms or they absolutely believed the EU would compromise the 4 pillars over not having a no deal thinking the latter was worse for the EU than the former.

May herself made many more mistakes. Firstly calling an election and treating it as a sure win instead of going out there to campaign and go to the debates. If she did that she likely would have got more MPs (although seeing how the tories are that might have mean more ERG nutters instead).

If the EU made any mistakes it was basically being too nice and caring too much how the UK media viewed them, which is shown in the documentary.

Being physically unable to watch more then 10 mins of a show because it dares to mention that the people involved might have a home life suggests a certain amount of anger.

Documentaries showing a human side to the professional people they focus on has been a thing for as long as documentaries have existed.

If shows focusing on MEPs who actually do work in Europe (unlike the racist twats we like to send who turn up once a month for edited social media clips and then leave again) had done more of this over the last 10-20 years, maybe "faceless Brussels bureaucrats" and other idiotic phrases would be less common in the UK.
    No it suggests a disinterest in wasting two hours on something that is designed to influence rather than inform.

You didn't answer the question. Simply saying that it exists and has been common doesn't explain why it is done. They do it for a reason. They spent time filming these moments because it serves a purpose. I think it is clear that the purpose is to get the viewer to identify with the person involved and be more open to forming the "right' opinion based on appreciating that human element rather than feeling his actual behavior and viewpoint on the matter of brexit was just.

When people say things like, "faceless brussels bureaucrats," they aren't literally talking about their faces or knowing who is involved. They are talking about how these people are unaccountable to the average person and serve shadowy interests behind closed doors which was pretty obviously displayed as a reality in this video regardless of its attempts to humanize verhoefstadt.

When people say things like, "faceless brussels bureaucrats," they aren't literally talking about their faces or knowing who is involved. They are talking about how these people are unaccountable to the average person and serve shadowy interests behind closed doors which was pretty obviously displayed as a reality in this video regardless of its attempts to humanize verhoefstadt.
    And there we go down the Brexit Party shaped rabbit hole.

Elected politicians like Verhoefstadt are unaccountable to the average person (apart from when they vote for or against him in elections).

Documentaries that attempt to form an emotional link between viewers and participants are secret EU propaganda tools to brainwash plucky Brits into losing sight of the Brexit unicorns waiting for us over the horizon.

Thank god we have people like you to warn us of the dangers of seeing EU politicians as people instead of faceless un-elected unaccountable enemies.
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-05-12 at 05:01 PM.

And there we go down the Brexit Party shaped rabbit hole.

Elected politicians like Verhoefstadt are unaccountable to the average person (apart from when they vote for or against him in elections).

Documentaries that attempt to form an emotional link between viewers and participants are secret EU propaganda tools to brainwash plucky Brits into losing sight of the Brexit unicorns waiting for us over the horizon.

Thank god we have people like you to warn us of the dangers of seeing EU politicians as people instead of faceless un-elected unaccountable enemies.
    And yet you still have no explanation other than the obvious reality you ridicule.

And yet you still have no explanation other than the obvious reality you ridicule.
    What is an "obvious reality" to you, is a set of insane conspiracy theories to many of the rest of us. The reality is, our explanation for your viewpoint is that you are some kind of crackpot that has chosen to believe things without a shred of proof, because they play into your particular form of bigotry. We don't need to explain why people aren't really heavily disguised lizard people, we can just ridicule you while you believe they are.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

It reminds me of those sob story videos my girlfriend shows me where someone finds a cat missing two legs and it focuses on the emotional hardships the owner deals with as it nurses it back to health. It uses similar documentary tactics designed to elicit an emotional reaction from the viewer. That's what I have a problem with.
    You realise that the main point of this documentary is to follow Guy Verhofstadt, right? I mean, it shows us an interesting insight, but that's almost the byproduct. The main focus is on Guy and what he does in these negotiations. A little background on him is totally in line with the purpose of the documentary.

That you start to like this guy probably has more to do with you actually liking the guy than the video "manipulating" you, which is what you seem to think.
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-05-12 at 05:43 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

You think elected politicians are unaccountable to people - you deserve all the ridicule you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    What is an "obvious reality" to you, is a set of insane conspiracy theories to many of the rest of us. The reality is, our explanation for your viewpoint is that you are some kind of crackpot that has chosen to believe things without a shred of proof, because they play into your particular form of bigotry. We don't need to explain why people aren't really heavily disguised lizard people, we can just ridicule you while you believe they are.
    People really need to stop throwing around the "conspiracy theory" label like that. What I said is not a conspiracy theory at all. Do you know what a conspiracy is? That's like calling it a conspiracy if someone brags about themselves to make people like them.

We aren't talking about lizard people, don't get so nonsensical. We're talking about a documentary going out of its way to humanize a subject to get the viewer to empathize with him and be on his side before presenting the actual content of what he did. That's hardly out of the realm of possibility. Yes, it is obvious what they are doing. Again, if you disagree, you should be able to come up with ANY reasonable explanation if you are so keen on dismissing it as a likelihood. It seems you don't have one though and so you resort to trying to dismiss it as crazy in an attempt to distance yourself from an inconvenient truth.

- - - Updated - - -

You think elected politicians are unaccountable to people - you deserve all the ridicule you get.
    I wasn't even arguing that...Reread what I said.

- - - Updated - - -

You realise that the main point of this documentary is to follow Guy Verhofstadt, right? I mean, it shows us an interesting insight, but that's almost the byproduct. The main focus is on Guy and what he does in these negotiations. A little background on him is totally in line with the purpose of the documentary.

That you start to like this guy probably has more to do with you actually liking the guy than the video "manipulating" you, which is what you seem to think.
    The point is to follow him? No. This isn't about him, it's about brexit. At best it is to show the negotiations from his perspective but that has nothing to do with his personal life. What value does it provide to show his personal life? How does that reflect on brexit?

It's crazy how naive you people are about this sort of thing. You think the film crew was just like, "Okay now let's watch as your wife makes dinner, that's good content for this brexit documentary....it will really help people understand the EU's perspective on these negotiations." The film crew spent money and time on that. No, they knew what they were doing. They knew it woudn't inform you on brexit and they knew it would help humanize the EU's side.

Do you guys see a politician kissing babies and think they just love children? I mean, honestly...I'm disturbed people fall for this and you point it out to them and they still can't grasp it. "It wasn't deliberate and calculated to manipulate the viewer, it was because Mrs verhoefstadt's cooking is relevant to a brexit documentary. You're just a conspiracy theorist."
    Last edited by dippinsawse; 2019-05-12 at 06:29 PM.