View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Thornberry has stated that Lab will be voting against the withdrawal bill when May brings it back https://twitter.com/GuardianAnushka/...46541282467840 coupled with the DUP saying that they will not back it https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/stat...53459551428608 this must mean that the deal is dead and with the potential strong showing of the BP and the predicted embarrassment of the Cons in the EP elections it most likely means May's time as PM will be over too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Thornberry has stated that Lab will be voting against the withdrawal bill when May brings it back https://twitter.com/GuardianAnushka/...46541282467840 coupled with the DUP saying that they will not back it https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/stat...53459551428608 this must mean that the deal is dead and with the potential strong showing of the BP and the predicted embarrassment of the Cons in the EP elections it most likely means May's time as PM will be over too.
    This was the likely outcome for reasons already stated; the collapse of effective leadership in the Tory party means that there is absolutely no guarantee that whatever May agreed to wouldn't be reneged on by whoever succeeded her.

We'll have to see what the response is after the EP elections - if her premiership is effectively over she has nothing to lose by canceling Article 50.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Personally, I cannot wait to see the hard Brexiteers out on the streets getting stamped on when the UK revokes.

I cannot wait.

/sarcasm

But, in all honesty, I don't really see where this is going to end other than in massive, massive strife.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Personally, I cannot wait to see the hard Brexiteers out on the streets getting stamped on when the UK revokes.

I cannot wait.

/sarcasm

But, in all honesty, I don't really see where this is going to end other than in massive, massive strife.
    Our bariatric scooters will block out the sun...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Our bariatric scooters will block out the sun...
    All the better we'll remain in the shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    This was the likely outcome for reasons already stated; the collapse of effective leadership in the Tory party means that there is absolutely no guarantee that whatever May agreed to wouldn't be reneged on by whoever succeeded her.

We'll have to see what the response is after the EP elections - if her premiership is effectively over she has nothing to lose by canceling Article 50.
    Your first point is a contributing factor, albeit a minor one, as to why cross-party negotiations are going nowhere but largely irrelevant when it comes to voting for the Withdrawal Agreement Bill. Once passed the Bill would become law and could not be revoked without a further act of Parliament.

May revoking A50 because she has nothing to lose is for want of a better word - bonkers.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-05-16 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Can she even do that unilaterally? Does it require no act of parliament?
    The ECJ demands that a revocation is in line with the national requirements for such things, aka it must be constitutional (if one wants to use that word for the UK).
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Which is why I am asking a British poster; what would it take for her to do that per UK law?
    What you said, an Act of Parliament. Mostly, because it was an Act of Parliament to invoke A50 in the first place. But we'll see what the British have to say about that.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Can she even do that unilaterally? Does it require no act of parliament?
    I am unsure of the legalities regarding A50 revocation, triggering A50 was passed with a vote in Parliament so I would guess that it is a safe assumption that it would require a vote to revoke it but British law is often complex and not altogether straight forward especially to layman. However I am sure that if May was to announce that she intended unilaterally revoke A50 the Tories would find a way to remove her as PM before her plane landed in Brussels.

Your first point is a contributing factor, albeit a minor one, as to why cross-party negotiations are going nowhere but largely irrelevant when it comes to voting for the Withdrawal Agreement Bill. Once passed the Bill would become law and could not be revoked without a further act of Parliament.

May revoking A50 because she has nothing to lose is for want of a better word - bonkers.
    Why would it be bonkers?

Why would it be bonkers?
    Really? Are you being serious?

You don't think a PM who not only has lost the backing the house but her own party deciding to essentially tear up the results of two democratic votes (the ref. and subsequent GE) and in the process riding roughshod over her party, the HoC and our political systems and laws because she is being ousted and therefore has nothing to lose is bonkers?

Assuming it was even possible for this to happen it would destroy not only the Tory party but our democracy with it.

deciding to essentially tear up the results of two democratic votes
    Lets examine that, shall we.

the ref.
    If it was not advisory, the result would have been declared invalid already due to the actions of the leave side.

and subsequent GE
    Where the Conservatives lost their majority, implying the public did not agree with the direction they were taking.

Assuming it was even possible for this to happen it would destroy not only the Tory party
    At this point, a good thing.

but our democracy with it.
    And now you sound like Farage.

In other, more cheerful news - elements of the Brexit party manifesto are finally being published.

God bless ByDonkeys
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-05-16 at 01:40 PM.

You don't think a PM who not only has lost the backing the house but her own party deciding to essentially tear up the results of two democratic votes (the ref. and subsequent GE) and in the process riding roughshod over her party, the HoC and our political systems and laws because she is being ousted and therefore has nothing to lose is bonkers?

Assuming it was even possible for this to happen it would destroy not only the Tory party but our democracy with it.
    The GE was not in support of Brexit don't fall into the myth that just because someone put an x to labour or Tory they're flag waiving anti europe. That will put you in the Dribbles camp of stupid. As for the the ref. can we also stop pretending that wasn't hyjacked and had one side confirmed to be cheating while the remain side stuck to the laws of the land? (Confirmed by court cased which the leave groups aren't even appealing)

If your democracy is fragile enough to be destroyed by a PM acting against an advisory referendum with an almost 50-50 split, then maybe it deserves to be destroyed, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    The GE was not in support of Brexit don't fall into the myth that just because someone put an x to labour or Tory they're flag waiving anti europe. That will put you in the Dribbles camp of stupid. As for the the ref. can we also stop pretending that wasn't hyjacked and had one side confirmed to be cheating while the remain side stuck to the laws of the land? (Confirmed by court cased which the leave groups aren't even appealing)
    You've failed to address my point and unsurprisingly seem to have missed it altogether. But to address your little strawman, the Cons ran on a manifesto of delivering Brexit and were subsequently elected, Labour votes have absolutely nothing to do with it, and the ref, flawed as it was, returned the result to leave the EU, you whining that it was not fair over and over and over again and calling others stupid will not change this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    If your democracy is fragile enough to be destroyed by a PM acting against an advisory referendum with an almost 50-50 split, then maybe it deserves to be destroyed, tbh.
    Yeah, and perhaps afterwards we could do away with the title Prime Minister altogether and go with something like... Lady Protector?!?

Weren't the brexiteers the ones claiming the EU was costing 350M a week which could be injected into the NHS ?

the Cons ran on a manifesto of delivering Brexit and were subsequently elected
    They formed a government by throwing money at the DUP, they lost their majority in the actual election.

you whining that it was not fair over and over and over again and calling others stupid will not change this.
    When did he call leave voters stupid?

Hint - you feeling stupid about voting for Brexit does not mean others are calling you stupid when they say that the people you voted for lied
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-05-16 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrundi View Post
    Weren't the brexiteers the ones claiming the EU was costing 350M a week which could be injected into the NHS ?
    They also said that they'd get a Norway deal and make quickest and easiest deals in history. None of them ran on no deal at all. No deal as a term basically first came up with May's insane "No deal better than bad deal." comment

I think the point I was getting at is... you think there's a limit on how 'bonkers' the situation can become, Pann? After all that's come to pass?

I agree, in so much as, May will never do it. Her entire priority from the outset has been to try and stop the Tories from splitting. So, yes, I think the idea's bonkers because she will never do it.

However, if she were to do it... absolutely fantastic! Our 'democracy' is already a complete joke. The referendum was a complete joke. The events leading up to this point have been a complete joke.

Article 50 is revoked: lots of angry Brexiteers... great!

Basically, it'll either be them on the streets or Remainers if we hard Brexit. So, we'll just have to see how it plays out. I sincerely hope it's them getting stomped on.

I would have accepted a soft Brexit / Brexit in increments. I will never accept a hard Brexit.

I think the point I was getting at is... you think there's a limit on how 'bonkers' the situation can become, Pann? After all that's come to pass?

I agree, in so much as, May will never do it. Her entire priority from the outset has been to try and stop the Tories from splitting. So, yes, I think the idea's bonkers because she will never do it.

However, if she were to do it... absolutely fantastic! Our 'democracy' is already a complete joke. The referendum was a complete joke. The events leading up to this point have been a complete joke.

Article 50 is revoked: lots of angry Brexiteers... great!

Basically, it'll either be them on the streets or Remainers if we hard Brexit. So, we'll just have to see how it plays out. I sincerely hope it's them getting stomped on.

I would have accepted a soft Brexit / Brexit in increments. I will never accept a hard Brexit.
    That's a fair comment to be honest.

Fortunately we do not live in a dictatorship therefore it would not be possible for May to stop Brexit on her own, but just to put the concept to the test - how would you feel about May deciding she has nothing to lose and that we will leave immediately on WTO terms?

Why must people be angry? Isn't it due to people being angry and refusing to listen to each other that we are in this mess?