View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Very brave of you to appear here today,I must say, but we don't have to wait for November. The mother of the EU apparently came to her senses at the D-Day celebrations when she met candidate Jeremy Hunt and offered up EU capitulation to the UK again. Very apt timing don't you think?

Jeremy Hunt has claimed Angela Merkel would be willing to renegotiate the UK’s Brexit deal and possibly the Irish border arrangements

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...te-brexit-deal

and in an incredible display of EU disunity...

She said, "it’s up to you. Germany doesn’t have that border with the Republic of Ireland - you do."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...hy-ridge-video

Wait wait a sec, is the UK/Ireland border an EU/UK border or not? Have Germany left the EU or they just don't give a shit about Ireland any more?

Would be nice if you showed some unity and consistency eurochums...Still if the mother of the EU is offering cake and cherries to the UK it woudl be rude to refuse.
    Nope, you still have to ask Leo nicely. and Germany is not able to guarantee a new deal; it requires qualified majority among EU27.
    just for info: UK being mad at backstop and promising nonsense wont count.

A juicy Brexit Sunday is coming as the Tory leadership hots up...

Michael Gove is going to scrap VAT after Brexit, it is a tax only required because of membership of the EU. Wouldn't you like that eurochums in your own country? Next time you get a receipt look at how much VAT you pay and imagine it slipping straight into the back pocket of Juncker and his cronies or, all you gotta do is leave
    You can’t be this misinformed. It’s not possible, you must be an anti-Brexit troll taking the piss. The only other alternative is that you’re simply an uneducated retard who can’t even use Wikipedia to inform himself, but I would never flame people online.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashina View Post
    You can’t be this misinformed. It’s not possible, you must be an anti-Brexit troll taking the piss. The only other alternative is that you’re simply an uneducated retard who can’t even use Wikipedia to inform himself, but I would never flame people online.
    Nope Brexiteers in heavy brexit supporting areas act just like him in the real world.

I have a relative that has the same talking points as dribbles, there really are people who think and talk like this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nope never heard of wikipedia, thanks for the pointer it came up with this...

EU member states are each required to adopt a value added tax that complies with the EU VAT code
    VAT collected by member states is used as part of the calculation to determine what each state contributes to the EU's budget.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...alue_added_tax

Got to feel really sorry for Hungary, 27% VAT trousered by Juncker and I see also from that wiki the EU want to harmonize it with one rate for all, bet it won't be at the lowest level of 17% that Luxembourg enjoys....

Odd isn't it where Juncker originates from? Psst, clue it's not Hungary.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Got to feel really sorry for Hungary, 27% VAT trousered by Juncker
    The EU does not collect VAT.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    The EU does not collect VAT.
    I never said it did, but it is a multiplier that affects the calculation as to what each EU citizen must pay to Junckers mob.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I have a relative that has the same talking points as dribbles, there really are people who think and talk like this.
    God bless their small minds. At least they got the internet to escape the bitter reality of their inadequate stupidity.

I never said it did, but it is a multiplier that affects the calculation as to what each EU citizen must pay to Junckers mob.
    You said that the 27% VAT is trousered by Juncker.

7+ Year Old Account
    You said that the 27% VAT is trousered by Juncker.
    And a proportion of that 27% is. From the contributory calculation an EU citizen at 27% VAT would likely pay more than an EU citizen on 17% towards Junckers funsies. Whatever, an EU member country cannot reduce VAT to zero or abolish it, they must let Juncker trouser something. A sovereign nation outside the EU can abolish VAT.

And a proportion of that 27% is. From the contributory calculation an EU citizen at 27% VAT would likely pay more than an EU citizen on 17% towards Junckers funsies. Whatever, an EU member country cannot reduce VAT to zero or abolish it, they must let Juncker trouser something. A sovereign nation outside the EU can abolish VAT.
    But why would they want to abolish VAT? Any country doing so would be ripping a massive hole in their budget, and the deficit would have to be made up by increasing revenue elsewhere, and that means raising other taxes to compensate.

The UK will be missing 170 billion per year if it abolishes VAT. With an annual government expenditure of approximately 750 billion, that is a huge deficit to make up elsewhere.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2019-06-09 at 04:20 PM.

But why would they want to abolish VAT?
    To replace it with something that does the exact same but carries the name of the politician proposing it. It's all small mind anti-globalist scare tactics.

No country wants to do away with VAT: it's generally accepted by the public and brings in 1/5th to 1/3rd of the federal budget. Good luck abolishing VAT and introducing a new tax without getting lynched.

But why would they want to abolish VAT?
    To bring in a sales tax. Which is the EXACT SAME THING. But likely do it the US way where they don't show the tax on the price of product when on the shelf so they catch you out when you get to the checkout.

But it makes the Anti EU people happy because it's "Stick it to the EU we have our own tax." view.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    To bring in a sales tax. Which is the EXACT SAME THING. But likely do it the US way where they don't show the tax on the price of product when on the shelf so they catch you out when you get to the checkout.

But it makes the Anti EU people happy because it's "Stick it to the EU we have our own tax." view.
    That really annoyed me when I was in the States a few years ago. I see "$9.99" on the label, so I get a $10 note ready while queueing a the till, and then the cashier wanted something like $10.56. They were very understanding when I apologized in my very not-American accent and they twigged that I was a tourist (actually, pretty much everybody was really nice), but still :/

A remainer took Boris to court over the bus, the Judge took 5 minutes and threw the case out. The NHS is already planned and diaried in to receive 384 million extra a week as a benefit of brexit a couple of years after we leave, exceeding the claims on the bus. He wasn't lying...
    That's like me saying "I'm currently giving dribbles $500 per week, how about I spend it on hookers and blow instead". Even if I start spending $500 on hookers and blow, the statement is still a lie because I was never giving you $500 in the first place... the $500 I'm now spending came from somewhere else.

That really annoyed me when I was in the States a few years ago. I see "$9.99" on the label, so I get a $10 note ready while queueing a the till, and then the cashier wanted something like $10.56. They were very understanding when I apologized in my very not-American accent and they twigged that I was a tourist (actually, pretty much everybody was really nice), but still :/
    Yeah my friend who worked in stores all her life in the US considers it one of the most stupid things they do. Even for them it would make things sooooo much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post

As far as i see sales tax is easier to manage then VAT (primarily on business end). Complicated rules about VAT is one of most common complaints.

They aren't exactly the same unless you think "any tax is interchangeable with any other tax".

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    As far as i see sales tax is easier to manage then VAT (primarily on business end). Complicated rules about VAT is one of most common complaints.

They aren't exactly the same unless you think "any tax is interchangeable with any other tax".
    The different VAT rates (outside the scope, zero rated, exempt, reduced etc.) are all quite straightforward and do their job - nothing complicated about them at all. They could just do with creating one 0% category instead of three while retaining the 5% reduced category. But that's civil service mentality for you.

The only slightly complicated thing about VAT is dealing with transactions from other EU countries and the reverse charge mechanism.

Fed up with companies like Dropbox (IE VAT number) screwing me by charging VAT when they have no right to. You have to have a business subscription to register your VAT number. It's a con.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think BJ is on the right track.

The money the UK has to pay the EU is the perfect exit strategy for both.

The EU wont budge on its prinicple, but still will give something to the brits. Money is easier to move than principles. So if BJ gets the same deal as May, with maybe 50% cut on the divorce bill, the EU could probably be ok with that, while BJ could sell this at home as a big win over Brussels.

You may say that the UK still has to abandon a lot of positions, but i think they could sell such a cut as total victory. I mean, look at some posters here, they'll swallow ANYTHING.

15+ Year Old Account
    People from Hungary receive more in funding per person from the EU and pay less to the EU than People from Luxembourg.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.