View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    @dribbles

Oh, I bet you're celebrating now, aren't you...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...er-attack-kent

A 17-year-old German exchange student is in a serious condition in hospital after he was attacked by a group of teenagers, leaving him with severe head injuries that required emergency surgery.
    Go on, open that can of beer. I know you love this. Congratulations.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    @dribbles

Oh, I bet you're celebrating now, aren't you...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...er-attack-kent

Go on, open that can of beer. I know you love this. Congratulations.
    I find your use of this attack to badmouth Dribbles a little bit disgusting. You made your point often enough, stop this

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I find your use of this attack to badmouth Dribbles a little bit disgusting. You made your point often enough, stop this
    Put it this way, the British are still giving us shit for WW2 80 years later. You don't get to whinge about people having a grudge. You're the undisputed world champions of holding a grudge.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

What I would love to happen... bear with me on this as it's a little crazy..

Brexit Party win the next General election. (because of the other votes split)

Brexit party take us out of EU with no deal (because nobody was EVERY going to all decide on a deal, lets face it) but THEN they also change the FPTP system to proportional representation and call another GE.

They're a one-policy party that apparently just wants to do what's the best thing for Britain - getting rid of FPTP needs to be done. Now so more than ever because it REALLY won't work with a multi-party system.

If they scrapped the whole system and took all the Brexit blame with them when they died, they'd effectively reset UK politics to a better position than it's been in before.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    Interest, insofar any is applicable, doesn't start accumulating until the UK leaves. And that hasn't happened yet. In case you hadn't noticed.
    Ok i'll give you that interest may not apply, yet... but an article published in one of todays newspapers referencing the Dover frontline, reiterates and confirms that the £39bn divorce bill is not payable by the UK.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ackstop-brexit

Anyhow I very much enjoyed your videos, here is a favourite of mine summing up very nicely where we are just as the latest yougov Westminster voting intention poll released places the Brexit party 6 points ahead of its nearest, Labour, rival in a hypothetical General Election. The Tories have some way to go yet if they want to out Farage Farage.

Enjoy...

13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Ok i'll give you that interest may not apply, yet... but an article published in one of todays newspapers referencing the Dover frontline, reiterates and confirms that the £39bn divorce bill is not payable by the UK.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ackstop-brexit
    Dribbles unironically linking the express, again, lols to be had all around lads.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Brexit party take us out of EU with no deal (because nobody was EVERY going to all decide on a deal, lets face it) but THEN they also change the FPTP system to proportional representation and call another GE.
    The "British Public" don't want proportional representation, it will take too long to get anything done. Apparently.

No idea which MPs make up the bulk of the Brexit Party, but all the Brexit blame should really be on the shoulders of the Tories, it's probably not a good idea to give them a clean slate by scapegoating TBP. Whoever they are.

I don't disagree with you that scrapping FPTP would be good n all, but it isn't a popular idea. A shame, as giving more platform to the fringe idiots sooner would have made it easier to show them up for the charlatans they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    The "British Public" don't want proportional representation, it will take too long to get anything done. Apparently.

No idea which MPs make up the bulk of the Brexit Party, but all the Brexit blame should really be on the shoulders of the Tories, it's probably not a good idea to give them a clean slate by scapegoating TBP. Whoever they are.

I don't disagree with you that scrapping FPTP would be good n all, but it isn't a popular idea. A shame, as giving more platform to the fringe idiots sooner would have made it easier to show them up for the charlatans they are.
    Problem is many people didn't vote in the previous referendum on the voting change because it was basically choose between FPTP or FPTP in all but name with small changes to it. It was a sham pretty much. Not saying FPTP vs PR would end PR win but it would have been a much better turnout.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    If you were the Chinese or Russian governments (or anyone else critical of Western hegemony) wouldn't you be absolutely delighted that the two most dominant Western powers are so determined to make themselves as untrustworthy and unlikable as possible???
    That is.. not really a point in anyones favor.

15+ Year Old Account
    What I would love to happen... bear with me on this as it's a little crazy..

Brexit Party win the next General election. (because of the other votes split)

They're a one-policy party that apparently just wants to do what's the best thing for Britain - getting rid of FPTP needs to be done. Now so more than ever because it REALLY won't work with a multi-party system.

If they scrapped the whole system and took all the Brexit blame with them when they died, they'd effectively reset UK politics to a better position than it's been in before.
    You would love to happen that the UK has no trade deals, no agreements and probably restarting the troubles just so you get rid of FPTP?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    You would love to happen that the UK has no trade deals, no agreements and probably restarting the troubles just so you get rid of FPTP?
    I presume it's also to show everyone the result of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Problem is many people didn't vote in the previous referendum on the voting change because it was basically choose between FPTP or FPTP in all but name with small changes to it. It was a sham pretty much. Not saying FPTP vs PR would end PR win but it would have been a much better turnout.
    I may not have appreciated the differences between what was offered and PR then, as I thought the alternative vote sytem was essentially PR but hey, we could well be back to "Aeneas doesn't really understand much" again
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

There's no reality where all the parties decide on an agreement together. This must be glaringly obvious by now. There's no time to make a new deal before the next deadline and we leave.

The "unknown" is far more of a problem to businesses as they have no clue what's going on. All this voting against "no-deal" was just silly and made the government look weak and dumb - No-Deal is just the fallback when there isn't a deal - What's the point of voting no no-deal if nobody is ever going to vote for a deal?

Somebody just needs to accept that they're never going to come up with a deal they all agree on - Leave without a deal and then build new deals from scratch. There was never another option for Brexit. We need a strong + decisive government to actually make this decision as it's making our government look pathetic just waiting for the countdown to run out and pretending it will work out somehow.

It's kind of a scorched earth strategy, at least a half arsed one. The point would be to make desperately clear the problem and tear down the facade that everything is okay, that the fundamental structures are not the problem, we just have the wrong people in charge.

The problem as I see it is that this kind of shock cannot happen within the status quo. A shock that big cannot begin or be furthered at the ballot box, it has to be done by direct action. Large scale strikes and civil disobedience to affect political change just doesn't feel like something that the British have the stomach for

There's no reality where all the parties decide on an agreement together. This must be glaringly obvious by now. There's no time to make a new deal before the next deadline and we leave.

The "unknown" is far more of a problem to businesses as they have no clue what's going on. All this voting against "no-deal" was just silly and made the government look weak and dumb - No-Deal is just the fallback when there isn't a deal - What's the point of voting no no-deal if nobody is ever going to vote for a deal?

Somebody just needs to accept that they're never going to come up with a deal they all agree on - Leave without a deal and then build new deals from scratch. There was never another option for Brexit. We need a strong + decisive government to actually make this decision as it's making our government look pathetic just waiting for the countdown to run out and pretending it will work out somehow.
    But is electing a strongman based on pretty much on particular policy really the answer to that? I mean yeah, maybe they will be strong and decisive in getting rid of FPTP. Or maybe they will be strong and decisive in exiling everyone named "Steve". The latter is unlikely, of course. But the former seems almost as unlikely.
    A platform of "be strong and decisive to do what is best for Britain" just allows potential voters to project whatever they want onto them, without needing to commit to any one goal there. Well, aside from Brexit. I mean, it probably won't lead to some sort of dystopia, but I am always wary of people being frustrated of political parties not finding a consensus and asking fro someone strong to just do things.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Dribbles unironically linking the express, again, lols to be had all around lads.
    You are more of a "The Times" person? No problem then, from today's edition...

Global chief executives back Brexit Britain
    A poll of 1,300 chief executives in 11 of the world’s largest economies found bosses from the US, China and Japan — the UK’s top investor and the world’s second and third biggest economies — expect to be more likely to invest in Britain after it leaves the European Union.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/g...tain-k77pjnmb0

Wherever you look, tabloids or broadsheets, a daily veritable feast of good news for Brexit! Not long until October 31st, tick tock...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I see dribbles completely ignored this post. Probably trying to find a way to spin it as I type. I'm sure it'll go up by 40% when we leave!

*Some British people

Some of us don't care lol We live in the present, not the past, like many Brexiteers.
    Not ignored but that post looked a litt le Gin addled tbh. The good idea of disposing of VAT we have done, proroguing parliament, whilst a novel idea is unnecessary.

As Kwasi Kwarteng explained, again two days ago, no deal is the default. The only reason Brexit didn't happen in March is because Theresa the appeaser sent a letter to Tusk asking for an extension. To send such a letter is the prerogative of the current PM and no one else, not even parliament.

So eurochums, with everything Boris has said in the last few days, and under immense pressure from the Brexit party, do you really think in October he will send such a letter again?

Tick tock...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    But is electing a strongman based on pretty much on particular policy really the answer to that?I mean yeah, maybe they will be strong and decisive in getting rid of FPTP. Or maybe they will be strong and decisive in exiling everyone named "Steve". The latter is unlikely, of course. But the former seems almost as unlikely.
    A platform of "be strong and decisive to do what is best for Britain" just allows potential voters to project whatever they want onto them, without needing to commit to any one goal there. Well, aside from Brexit. I mean, it probably won't lead to some sort of dystopia, but I am always wary of people being frustrated of political parties not finding a consensus and asking fro someone strong to just do things.
    That's why I was saying under the ideal circumstances they'd scrap FPTP then go away and call a GE (and I aknowledged this was a ridiculous hope in itself). It's not so much have a strong leader to just do whatever, it's a strong leader to do what needs to be done. From the way I see it, it's been evident for a while now that the government is NEVER going to actually come up with a deal that they'll all agree to and there isn't enough popularity there for a second referendum. If we're clearly inevitably going to end up with no deal, we need to recognise that, embrace it and control it. The longer we keep dragging it out needlessly, the worse it is for everyone.

In regards to FPTP, I feel it's vital to get it scrapped ASAP. No public vote (if anything after all this we've all agree public votes for everything is a stupid idea?). If we're opening up to a multi/many party system, the FPTP system is woefully broken. The winner will end up as whichever political positions are split amongst the least candidates rather than what's popular.

I'm suprised the Conservatives aren't all over this too. If you look at Peterbourghs results, this kind of vote split across the country could genuinely make the party extinct.

I know Corbyn is very complacent already. His candidate got the lowest amount of votes ever for an election winner so he's clearly counting on the Convervative/Brexit vote helping him out. It's not a bad plan, but he just needs to flip when he should be flopping on his Brexit views that day and it would all be different. It's not entirely unbelievable that we could end up with a large majority government that only got 20-30% of the public vote. Even Brexit party.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I see dribbles completely ignored this post. Probably trying to find a way to spin it as I type. I'm sure it'll go up by 40% when we leave! .
    It's because it means nothing because we've not actually done Brexit yet. People are just applying their own opinion to the cause based on their political beliefs. I'm sure when Brexit does finally happen it will be a massive kick in the balls to the country but, for the moment, the fact that businesses have zero idea WTF is going to even be happening by the end of the year is a huge impact on the economy.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2019-06-11 at 12:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    with everything Boris has said in the last few days, and under immense pressure from the Brexit party, do you really think in October he will send such a letter again?
    Yep, no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I'm suprised the Conservatives aren't all over this too. If you look at Peterbourghs results, this kind of vote split across the country could genuinely make the party extinct.
    They have not been all over it because historically they have been the ones who have won because of it. The left is split for almost a century now between the Liberals/LD and Labour in England. Add Plaid in Wales and SNP in Scotland plus recently all over GB (not northern Ireland) Greens. UKIP and Brexit party (Aka We're totes not UKIP honest, we're brand newwww even though most of us are UKIP Farage arse kissers) when it came to general elections were a non issue outside of Clacton historically.

If a General election happens and those who voted Brexit don't shit their pants and put their X back on the Tory candidate then we'll likely see a conservative push for electoral reform. If they go back to Conservatives they'll go to keep FPTP for rest of our lifetime.