View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Yeah we've heard this one before, you're welcome to read over the last few pages of debate.

Parliament votes against a government motion to reject the Lord's amendment by 315 to 273.

Which is a double negative, they're now voting on all remaining Lord's amendments to the bill.
    Honestly, that is not my problem. The EU is not the stage for the UKs internal squabbles. We have done this for 3 years, and there is no sign that it will change, rather that it will get even more stupid with BJ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other Lords amendments pass 328 to 65.

Most of these were small corrections in language and words used to make any bill clear and legal.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    The ones in power also voted to remain, for the WA and of course they'd vote against no deal, why the hell wouldn't they?
    What do you mean why the hell wouldn't they? I was talking about the last/current government with their order ordeeeer stunts where nothing gets done, no direction is chosen or all of them if you will.

It's really not just Farage that is nothing but talk, right now it is almost everybody in your government. With 3 months and 2 weeks left to come up with a solution, proposition or really anything at all you don't even have a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vdl's opinion on whether the UK should get another extension could be the very definition of irrelevant.

Even if the commission had any say in that matter, which it doesn't, Juncker is still President of the commission until the beginning of November.

Quote Originally Posted by Taranthas View Post
    I'm sorry you find it offensive but if you are going to criticize the UK on purely nationalist grounds then I'm going to point out that your country killed millions of people and attempted genocide within recent history. If you don't like it, don't dish it out.
    How about on the grounds that the UK has completely of its own accord made an utter laughing stock of itself?

"Purely nationalist ground", indeed. It's never your fault, is it?

A remainer talking about the EU as bloatedand undemocratic. Well it could be a first but I am going with liar liar pants on fire.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taranthas View Post
    There seem to be an extraordinary number of very stupid europeans in this thread who don't seem to understand that the UK and its government are not the same thing, and the number who voted for the current government is either 1(Pann) or zero.

Literally every British participant in this thread voted remain, everyone else got infracted. How am I responsible for this mess voting remain and voting for the opposition?

I'd add that the EU is a bloated, undemocratic and bureacratic monolith that played its own part in Brexit which you people never seem to acknowledge.
    I never voted FPÖ, they don't represent my views, yet they were part of the last government and therefore represented my country. I am part of my country. I am not as responsible for them being in government as the ones actually voting for them, but I could've done more to keep them from gaining votes.

Ok for someone from a country without a representative democracy this might be harder to fathom, but that is also on the people that they apparently are happy in keeping.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    A remainer talking about the EU as bloatedand undemocratic. Well it could be a first but I am going with liar liar pants on fire.
    You're right, I've just ignored this by now, but it shouldn't be ignored.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Oh dear... https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/stat...53221461286914

... he wants to run the country and can't even get it together to vote!?!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Oh dear... https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/stat...53221461286914

... he wants to run the country and can't even get it together to vote!?!
    Can someone explain to me what "I thought I was slipped" means? I assume he doesn't mean he thought he slipped on something, like a banana or so, right? RIGHT??!?

Labour peers are considering holding a confidence vote in Jeremy Corbyn's leadership whilst this will not affect Corbyn's position regardless of the outcome it highlights the mess the Lab party are currently in at the moment and unless they can sort these issues out it is unlikely that they will be able to table a success no-confidence motion when the Tories elect their next leader.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49031917

10+ Year Old Account
    Labour peers are considering holding a confidence vote in Jeremy Corbyn's leadership whilst this will not affect Corbyn's position regardless of the outcome it highlights the mess the Lab party are currently in at the moment and unless they can sort these issues out it is unlikely that they will be able to table a success no-confidence motion when the Tories elect their next leader.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49031917
    He needs to go, end of. I actually wanted Corbyn in but he's been a failure, its not ALL his fault but a lot of it is. He has too much baggage. Liberal Democrats are going to take seats off them without breaking a sweat.

The European Commission’s vice president, is now saying what we are all thinking.

'My God. They're idiots'

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Can someone explain to me what "I thought I was slipped" means? I assume he doesn't mean he thought he slipped on something, like a banana or so, right? RIGHT??!?
    Something to do with pairing I'd imagine. In pairing MPs have a sort of gentlemen's agreement so that if one of them wants to bunk off work for the day and can't make a vote then whoever they are paired with in the opposition will not vote so that losing the absentee doesn't make a difference to the vote. I can't actually find anything specific to "slipped" so I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Something to do with pairing I'd imagine. In pairing MPs have a sort of gentlemen's agreement so that if one of them wants to bunk off work for the day and can't make a vote then whoever they are paired with in the opposition will not vote so that losing the absentee doesn't make a difference to the vote. I can't actually find anything specific to "slipped" so I could be wrong.
    I believe slipped means that they had permission to be absent, as in permission slip.

This bill that's passed today.

It's literally as straight forward as: a BJ-led government could schedule the Queen's Speech for November 1st but parliament can't be prorogued / closed down as is normal practice?

It rules out closing it down in all circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post

It's literally as straight forward as: a BJ-led government could schedule the Queen's Speech for November 1st but parliament can't be prorogued / closed down as is normal practice?

It's going to require a rather cunning plan to get round it. I don't think it's bullet proof though. If NI manages to form a government in the mean time it would be rendered moot for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    It would mean that if Parliament is prorogued when the government publishes reports on the situation in Northern Ireland, MPs must be recalled to debate them
    - - - Updated - - -

I believe slipped means that they had permission to be absent, as in permission slip.
    Thanks. Does that mean his opposite number should of abstained then? Or is the government in the business of sabotaging itself by giving key members the day off (not that this would in anyway be surprising)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Thanks. Does that mean his opposite number should of abstained then? Or is the government in the business of sabotaging itself by giving key members the day off (not that this would in anyway be surprising)?
    I don't think so but I don't know for sure. I would imagine that permission to miss a vote is only given if either the vote is not particularly important or it is certain to pass or fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post

Short of the Irish Parliament forming, but even then that would still require a report that this amendment means also requires debate which means Parliament still has to open early.

Basically, Parliament will reconvene off summer recess at its absolute earliest time (3rd September) and October is going to be a crazy month.

However this bill isn't complete yet, it needs to go back to the Lords, then will come back to the HoC where some non Brexit related amendments are also going to be added, and possible attempts from Brexiteers to add others to counternance the ones that got voted today.

Then the bill gets voted on, gets Royal Assent and then they all sod off next week for summer holidays, and we'll return with at least one new leader of a party.

I think it is important to remember that today's bill does not necessarily rule out no-deal only that it is more difficult to stop parliament having a say on whether we leave without a deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is important to remember that today's bill does not necessarily rule out no-deal only that it is more difficult to stop parliament having a say on whether we leave without a deal.
    Indeed, first step though, and a clear indicator that Parliament wants to retain sovereign will over the process.

A lot of work left to do once they return from Summer but the end may well be in sight...

Who am I kidding, we'll be into 2020 before this shit ends.