View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Trying to incorrectly apply GATT rules, while the WTO has surpassed long ago. Not that BJ can even read all the paragraphs or pretends to only know a few of them.
    Not enforcing a border on their side? Assuming all goods will be able to travel in freely into the EU while there is no way of controlling it or checking up on it if its up to EU regulations. Companies will need to acquire an european trade licence of sorts to work with the EU member states. So a no border situation assume those goods are smuggled in and thus illegal.

Do i need to explain to you the troubles or how still very volatile that region is? Slightest thing could set that spark all off again and a no deal brexit will most likely cause that.
    I don't know what you mean by "surpassed long ago" but I assume you mean GATT 24 although there is no clarity in your point.

The UK is, as are all nations, free to control its borders as it sees fit, including not enforcing them (whatever that might mean). Let me get this straight you think that the EU would confiscate and destroy goods coming from the UK? On what grounds? It would appear that you are suggesting that the EU would treat goods from the UK differently to goods from other nations. Is that what you meant? And how do you propose that this discriminatory customs regime would be enforced?

Oh, go on then. I could do with a laugh.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-07-30 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the only countries that run their borders like this are San Marino and the Vatican City who I'm not sure the UK should be compared with for a whole host of reasons.
    San Marino is in the customs union and uses the euro. The Vatican also has euros but their status and position as a state is so weird I'm not sure they're too concerned about regulations of any sort.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hypothetical situation:

UK decides it wants to regulate some product differently to the EU to protect British interests in some way or another.

With a completely open border with the EU the UK has absolutely no way of enforcing that regulation. There is no way to stop those faulty products being imported and unless you want to shift the burden of customs control onto the general population thwit is essentially no point in making any regulation different to the EU at which point, why bother leaving?

I'm pretty sure the only countries that run their borders like this are San Marino and the Vatican City who I'm not sure the UK should be compared with for a whole host of reasons.
    It is unlikely the UK will regulate to the extent the protectionist EU does, so the presumption will be if its good enough to pass over zealous EU inspections it is OK for supply within the UK. There is a great system already in place to ensure goods purchased by UK consumers are safe and fit for purpose, from only buying at trusted suppliers, internet review sites, credit card purchase protection schemes, sale of goods act, trading standards, etc etc

Perhaps you could give a specific example of something we would want to regulate to stricter standards than already imposed on manufacturers/suppliers by the EU?

Who knows very soon I might even legally be allowed to buy and consume a bent banana...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "surpassed long ago" but I assume you mean GATT 24 although there is no clarity in your point.

The UK is, as are all nations, free to control its borders as it sees fit, including not enforcing them (whatever that might mean). Let me get this straight you think that the EU would confiscate and destroy goods coming from the UK? On what grounds? It would appear that you are suggesting that the EU would treat goods from the UK differently to goods from other nations. Is that what you meant? And how do you propose that this discriminatory customs regime would be enforced?

It would treat it as the same as every other nation it doesn't have any deal with. Not sure what is so humours about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Basically what Slant said....

But Slant, you do know those Dribblesesque brexiteer will somehow make it the fault of the evul EU anyway.
    I know. I am actually fine with it. I have stopped caring what crazies think about us.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

It would treat it as the same as every other nation it doesn't have any deal with. Not sure what is so humours about this.
    You realise that you've contradicted your claim that goods would be destroyed or confiscated?

Peston has quite an interesting article about Johnson and Brexit; https://www.itv.com/news/2019-07-30/...robert-peston/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Am I crazy or is Ryanair an Irish company, not a dreaded EU firm? Last I remember, Northern Ireland was part of the UK, no? At least for now.
    This is a joke? Right? Ryanair is a company that was formed and is based in the Republic of Ireland.

10+ Year Old Account
    You realise that you've contradicted your claim that goods would be destroyed or confiscated?
    Nope i am not

Nope i am not
    Oh well when you put it in such clearly defined and detailed terms!?! I must say that I am not surprised that you neither realise that you are contradicting yourself nor that you are unable to put some actual flesh on your arguments.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get your panties in a wad, I took the last bit out after checking where in Ireland. Relax. Still an Irish company
    Of course. I mean small details such as what country Ryanair is based in are entirely unimportant when having a go at dribbles.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    It is unlikely the UK will regulate to the extent the protectionist EU does, so the presumption will be if its good enough to pass over zealous EU inspections it is OK for supply within the UK. There is a great system already in place to ensure goods purchased by UK consumers are safe and fit for purpose, from only buying at trusted suppliers, internet review sites, credit card purchase protection schemes, sale of goods act, trading standards, etc etc

Perhaps you could give a specific example of something we would want to regulate to stricter standards than already imposed on manufacturers/suppliers by the EU?

Who knows very soon I might even legally be allowed to buy and consume a bent banana...
    I mean you wont be getting your 'bent banana' because you've admitted in your first paragraph that your happy for EU regulations to continue to apply to imports into the UK. Those mythical bananas would already have been turned away before they got to the UK.

If you dislike EU regulators why are you happy for them to continue to regulate UK imports, are British people really that lazy?

- - - Updated - - -

He hasn't.

If a UK company exports something to the EU which doesn't meet its regulatory standards it will be dealt with accordingly. Just as would happen with an import from any other country.

He hasn't.

If a UK company exports something to the EU which doesn't meet its regulatory standards it will be dealt with accordingly. Just as would happen with an import from any other country.
    He has.

And now you're introducing an entirely different point of goods failing to meet regulatory standards.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you're not trying to suggest that me commenting that Ryanair is indeed an Irish company was "having a go"? What pathetically low standards you must have for people saying mean things to you if so.
    You initially claimed that Ryanair was Northern Ireland company in order to prove dribbles' point wrong when it is based in the Republic which is a different country, trying to claim that it is an Irish company does not make your point correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Johnson and Varadkar have spoken by phone; https://www.thejournal.ie/boris-john...45937-Jul2019/ with Johnson reiterating that the UK will be leaving on Oct 31st come what may.

Again with the semantics. Don't be daft. If you try to export something into the EU without the proper paperwork and without paying customs (aka smuggle), it'll get stopped at the border until you do. You can take it back or get it confiscated or destroyed. You know how customs work, don't act like an idiot.
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-07-30 at 04:01 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account

He hasn't.

It will be as with goods from China, confiscated, send back or destroyed depending on the nature of it. I'm leaving on the send back option because i believe customs will be so packed that the bulk of it would just be destroyed.

All ports are investing a lot of money on stopping counterfeit goods and drugs into Europe, most of these goods don't pass through the UK first as i believe the continental ports are bigger, so suddenly we have to entrust the UK to control all those goods before sending them through to us, ignoring they don't have the infrastructure or man power for it. And we aren't even on good terms with them especially not post no deal brexit.

Anyway i wouldn't invest too much time, if that's their believe you aren't going to change the opinion of a brexiteer.

Am I crazy or is Ryanair an Irish company, not a dreaded EU firm?
    Ireland is in the EU. However, Ryanair has more to deal with than Brexit. Belgium and German low cost airliners are being good competitors. The article says so itself, or others do anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean you wont be getting your 'bent banana' because you've admitted in your first paragraph that your happy for EU regulations to continue to apply to imports into the UK. Those mythical bananas would already have been turned away before they got to the UK.

If you dislike EU regulators why are you happy for them to continue to regulate UK imports, are British people really that lazy
    But we will, our bananas don't all come from the EU. And those of an abnormal curvature that growers have to destroy, yet are perfectly edible, can now be enjoyed by UK people at far less cost than the "perfect" ones that must be supplied to the EU. A benefit to the UK people of Brexit.

The EU will only regulate UK imports from the EU and have all the huge costs of regulation and inspection to pay for. An overhead UK businesses will not have to pay for, again making them more competitive. Another benefit of Brexit to the detriment of the EU.

The more the EU regulates, bans, inspects and so on, the more the UK will smile and sagely nod its head politely across the channel and say good job eurochums you carry on over regulating your business people to bankruptcy.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Again, are you suggesting this was me "having a go" or not?
    Why deny it? You tried to have a go at dribbles and in the process made yourself look foolish.

Yeah, no. If you class that as "having a go", you're a super thin-skinned joke.

Now, if you'd have mentioned me "having a go" along the lines of the second half of that post, where I quite rightly question why people still entertain him and ask why he was still here after claiming he was going to leave, maybe you'd have a point. Maybe.
    Yeah. You sure showed me!

You're argument is that you were not having a go when you sarcastically claimed that Ryanair was not "a dreaded EU firm" but you were in the second part of your post?!? Brilliant!

Look I have no interest in this and I suggest that your repeated replies only serve to highlight that you seemingly don't know the difference between NI and RoI. Seriously, let it go! However I realise that you will be keen to have the last word on the matter and to that end this post will be my last on the subject.

15+ Year Old Account

No regulatory alignment whatsoever.

The EU would treat goods from the UK differently to goods from other nations because either those other nations have a regulatory alignment for the goods in question, or it would treat them the same as goods without regulatory alignment, either way, they wouldn't be allowed entering the single market.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

They still think the single market is a joke. They have no idea how much pain the EU will go through to preserve the integrity of the single market.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    They still think the single market is a joke. They have no idea how much pain the EU will go through to preserve the integrity of the single market.
    They do not realize how much pain the UK will have to go through to achieve pretty much the same on their own terms either..