View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I'm not from the UK/Europe but I do have a question after seeing my news feed today. What's the plan for commuters to and from "The Chunnel." I'm assuming the cross-country tax will be difficult to manage. Aside from that, do you need to go through customs if you decide to take this route?
    Commuters already need to present their passport or identity card when using the Eurostar and they cannot just get on and off whenever they please so I doubt much will change in that regard. As for tax that will depend on what is agreed between the UK and the EU.

https://www.eurostar.com/rw-en/trave...-trip/check-in

Eurostar laid out their serious concerns regarding Brexit shortly after the results of the EU referendum, bluntly stating: “There are no benefits or growth opportunity that they could identify from leaving the EU. Our fixed costs are already very high, and in many instances, the business case is marginal.”

In their submission to the House of Lords, Eurostar expressed some practical concerns over the government’s insistence on leaving the customs union, stating: “New customs obligations would be very difficult to put in place in the restricted space available in stations.”

Earlier this month, the cross-channel service was put into chaos following a setup by French trade unions as they put Brexit-style checks into place. Eurostar soon reported that delays and cancellations were to be expected from the Paris hub, where long queues began to form from 06:00.

It was reported that custom officials were being particularly aggressive and intimidating to passengers to and from the London hub; trying to demonstrate the effects that Brexit would have with security checks being reinforced with absurdity. Five French trade unions were behind the protests, demanding more staff and better pay to be able to cope with, what they argue, to be a more difficult process after Brexit. Phillippe Bollengier from the CGT Union added: “There will be stronger controls. You have a demonstration of what is going to happen”. One of his colleagues, who was dealing with passengers waiting to travel from Paris to London said: “Brexit will be terrible for all of us. We simply do not have the manpower or resources to deal with the new demands.”

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Eurostar laid out their serious concerns regarding Brexit shortly after the results of the EU referendum, bluntly stating: “There are no benefits or growth opportunity that they could identify from leaving the EU. Our fixed costs are already very high, and in many instances, the business case is marginal.”

In their submission to the House of Lords, Eurostar expressed some practical concerns over the government’s insistence on leaving the customs union, stating: “New customs obligations would be very difficult to put in place in the restricted space available in stations.”

Earlier this month, the cross-channel service was put into chaos following a setup by French trade unions as they put Brexit-style checks into place. Eurostar soon reported that delays and cancellations were to be expected from the Paris hub, where long queues began to form from 06:00.

It was reported that custom officials were being particularly aggressive and intimidating to passengers to and from the London hub; trying to demonstrate the effects that Brexit would have with security checks being reinforced with absurdity. Five French trade unions were behind the protests, demanding more staff and better pay to be able to cope with, what they argue, to be a more difficult process after Brexit. Phillippe Bollengier from the CGT Union added: “There will be stronger controls. You have a demonstration of what is going to happen”. One of his colleagues, who was dealing with passengers waiting to travel from Paris to London said: “Brexit will be terrible for all of us. We simply do not have the manpower or resources to deal with the new demands.”
    dribbles will be here in a minute to explain why that means it's great that we are going to leave. That sort of nonsense on the French side is indicative of all that is wrong with the EU, and we won't have any such issues on our side because we've taken back control and that means less red tape, fewer foreign types and 200% more bully beef for everyone.

I'm sure that any custom checks will be carried out by all the unicorns bred on the farms that will spring into existence just as soon as we leave.

In the meantime talk in the EU is around a huge, joined up effort to rebuild the EU once this crisis is past. An effort that we will be left watching jealously from the sidelines. Still, I'm sure our "friends" in the US will be happy to do whatever it takes to help get us back on our feet, eh?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Is Dribbles really that insane/hateful that he thinks the virus does not hit the Brexit supporters?
    Judging from his post patterns so far, it probably doesn't. Seems more like a situation where it doesn't matter if one tribe gets hurt, as long as the other gets hurt more.

Been super busy as wifey is now working from home so I can't just smoke pot and shitpost on forums all day; but wanted to pop in and wish you all well, and stay safe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Judging from his post patterns so far, it probably doesn't. Seems more like a situation where it doesn't matter if one tribe gets hurt, as long as the other gets hurt more.
    With the EU finished there aren't two tribes left anymore. There is nothing for remainers to remain in, nothing for rejoiners to rejoin, nothing for brexiteers to leave.

Spain and Italy have been abandoned by the EU

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...-by-the-eu/amp

Guys the European Union doesn't exist right now, for nations it is everyone for themselves. It is over, stay safe!
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Pretty low effort the last days Dribbles, maybe stop posting for a bit if you can't think of something entertaining. Come back fresh, you were capable of some solid trolling in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Been super busy as wifey is now working from home so I can't just smoke pot and shitpost on forums all day; but wanted to pop in and wish you all well, and stay safe!
    You too, dude. Re. wifey: tell her it's medicinal.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    With the EU finished there aren't two tribes left anymore. There is nothing for remainers to remain in, nothing for rejoiners to rejoin, nothing for brexiteers to leave.

Spain and Italy have been abandoned by the EU

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...-by-the-eu/amp

Guys the European Union doesn't exist right now, for nations it is everyone for themselves. It is over, stay safe!
    I'm still waiting for the actual Brexit to happen. Has it actually happened yet? I mean has the British government cut al ties as they promised.
    Or is Brexit still in purgatory like it has been for the last 4 years or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I'm still waiting for the actual Brexit to happen. Has it actually happened yet? I mean has the British government cut al ties as they promised.
    Or is Brexit still in purgatory like it has been for the last 4 years or so.
    Britain has formally left and is officially no longer a member state. They're just in a transistion period currently where everyone sort of pretends they're still in for practical purposes, scheduled to expire by the end of this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Is it pretending if we're still sending them money?
    You're *very* good at pretending

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, like the rest of us are pretending you're still part of the club.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    You still have the benefits of being a member so you still have your plights. I know the brexit is about getting even more benefits and none of the plights, funny how badly that worked out for the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Britain has formally left and is officially no longer a member state. They're just in a transistion period currently where everyone sort of pretends they're still in for practical purposes, scheduled to expire by the end of this year.
    So still following everything the EU says.....which is my point.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    So still following everything the EU says.....which is my point.
    It is actually worse than that. The UK has no voice in the EU but has to abide by its rules.

And now since no one believes the UK can keep to its deadline with the coronavirus out of control, that could be the situation for years.

So well done Brexiteers you've actually given the EU much greater control over the UK than ever!

7+ Year Old Account
    Now we have left, as our chancellor Rishi said today in case you missed it, we send loads of dosh as foreign charity aid to different countries, still likely to do so for former nations of the now collapsed EU to help in their hour of need. Have done in the past, will do in the future.

Mr Sunak said: "We have left the European Union."

"That has happened. What we are doing now is just negotiating the final terms of our trading arrangements."

Doesn't mean we will do anything they say.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Like leaving your parents house, but your still living in their house, eating the dinner they cooked and dumping your cloth for them to wash. Some would call it not having left at all.

I really don't see what is so hard about it. You have finalised your intent to leave and decided on a date when your actually leaving but you can't say you left while nothing has changed.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Now we have left, as our chancellor Rishi said today in case you missed it, we send loads of dosh as foreign charity aid to different countries, still likely to do so for former nations of the now collapsed EU to help in their hour of need. Have done in the past, will do in the future.

Mr Sunak said: "We have left the European Union."

"That has happened. What we are doing now is just negotiating the final terms of our trading arrangements."

Doesn't mean we will do anything they say.
    David Frost has confirmed that negotiations are ongoing.

https://twitter.com/DavidGHFrost/sta...61822833717251

Obviously much can continue using video conferencing however the worry is that Whitehall don't appear to be talking to UK industries and this - assuming a June cutoff - is not going to give UK businesses enough lead time to implement whatever is or isn't agreed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Obviously much can continue using video conferencing

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    the worry is that Whitehall don't appear to be talking to UK industries and this - assuming a June cutoff - is not going to give UK businesses enough lead time to implement whatever is or isn't agreed.
    Perhaps. "Talking to UK industries" is a double-edged sword in that it depends on who you're actually listening to. It's like the US government during the Great Depression: they listened to the big cinema chains, with the result that something like 2/3 of all cinemas in the USA (ie the ones NOT owned by the big chains) closed down. Not saying it will be anything like that bad, but the principle remains the same.
    Still not tired of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post

Perhaps. "Talking to UK industries" is a double-edged sword in that it depends on who you're actually listening to. It's like the US government during the Great Depression: they listened to the big cinema chains, with the result that something like 2/3 of all cinemas in the USA (ie the ones NOT owned by the big chains) closed down. Not saying it will be anything like that bad, but the principle remains the same.
    We, as a nation, need to able to implement what is agreed (presumably this is the same on the continent) so it is imperative that UK industry is kept in the loop - note this does not mean implementing exactly what they want but they need to be able to put in place whatever systems are required and have them ready for when the transition period comes to an end.