View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    I hope EU will soon go away, let Germany stand alone with their grand plans instead of sucking all in.
    Sucking in, like taking in patients from Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Austria who have been suffering from Covid -19.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Sucking in, like taking in patients from Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Austria who have been suffering from Covid -19.
    Sorry still not a fan. When they stop pretending like they know best we can stop thinking of them as the asshole of the world
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-04-15 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Forbidden Topics - Nation bashing

While Brexit happening is certainly a fact, the how is very much in question as is the when of quite a few parts. Thus it is by no means a dead topic.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I took that post to mean that since it is going to happen there is no point in keeping the thread opened.
    Which does not make any sense whatsoever.
    Negotiations take place because it is happening.
    This thread is there to discuss them, not to discuss whether to have them.

The UK government says that if the EU requests an extension it will reject it.

'Downing Street has said the government will refuse to extend the transition period, even if the EU were to request it (via @bbchelencatt)

The Prime Minister's Official Spokesman said "if the EU asks, we will say no" adding it would "prolong the delay and uncertainty"
    Chris Mason

He said any extension would also keep the UK bound by EU legislation at a point when it “needs flexibility” to respond to coronavirus.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/st...56393147170817

I had previously thought that although the UK would not request an extension it would agree if one was requested by the EU. Hopefully some of sort agreement can be reached but I feel that no-deal is inevitable now.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post

'Downing Street has said the government will refuse to extend the transition period, even if the EU were to request it (via @bbchelencatt)

The Prime Minister's Official Spokesman said "if the EU asks, we will say no" adding it would "prolong the delay and uncertainty"
    Chris Mason

He said any extension would also keep the UK bound by EU legislation at a point when it “needs flexibility” to respond to coronavirus.

I had previously thought that although the UK would not request an extension it would agree if one was requested by the EU. Hopefully some of sort agreement can be reached but I feel that no-deal is inevitable now.
    But why even assume the EU would request one?

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    But why even assume the EU would request one?
    Has anyone assumed that?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Has anyone assumed that?
    Well there must be a reason for Downing Street to make a comment that they would not extend even if the EU asked

Well there must be a reason for Downing Street to make a comment that they would not extend even if the EU asked
    Okay? I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that it is assumed by anyone that EU would ask for an extension but presumably they have been asked - off of the back of the IMF's comments - what would happen if the EU requested one.

10+ Year Old Account

Chris Mason

For the UK government to accept an extension being a necessity is to accept that a Brexit will cause economic issues and they do not want that as they sold the brexit as a net positive story.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay? I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that it is assumed by anyone that EU would ask for an extension but presumably they have been asked - off of the back of the IMF's comments - what would happen if the EU requested one.
    Than why make a statement from your side that if the EU asks they would say no. Does make sense why the EU would ask one before the UK does, the EU is after all more concerned with the well being of its subjects, matter of priorities i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    For the UK government to accept an extension being a necessity is to accept that a Brexit will cause economic issues and they do not want that as they sold the brexit as a net positive story.
    That's complete and utter nonsense. Why do you bother? Aren't you bored of talking about a subject you nothing about?

The government's own figures show that Brexit will result in reduced GDP growth.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's complete and utter nonsense. Why do you bother? Aren't you bored of talking about a subject you nothing about?

The government's own figures show that Brexit will result in reduced GDP growth.
    You know very well that's only one side of the story they are selling, the over all notion is that leaving the EU will be a boon for the UK government.

You elected a whole government who seems to be talking about a subject they know nothing about, yet you're supportive of them. I am sure you'll be able to handle my comments poking holes in tory logic.

You know very well that's only one side of the story they are selling, the over all notion is that leaving the EU will be a boon for the UK government.

You elected a whole government who seems to be talking about a subject they know nothing about, yet you're supportive of them. I am sure you'll be able to handle my comments poking holes in tory logic.
    No it's really not.

I didn't elect them however I am confident that they know infinitely more on the subject than you. I am not sure what holes you're poking in anything other than your lack of knowledge but whatever.

You've had four years to find something - anything - about Brexit and this is what you come out with?! Maybe it's time for you to let it go?

With respect to the extension: I think not having an extension is at this point simply an obsession for BoJo and co. Thus the moment anyone brought up the possibility that, maybe if the EU asked for one they could agree, they reflexively refused. "Get Brexit done" might in BoJo's eyes be what gave him the keys to No.10 and sticking to that is what will keep him there.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's really not.

I didn't elect them however I am confident that they know infinitely more on the subject than you. I am not sure what holes you're poking in anything other than your lack of knowledge but whatever.

You've had four years to find something - anything - about Brexit and this is what you come out with?! Maybe it's time for you to let it go?
    Why would i need to proof negatives of something that has yet to happen while businesses left and right are delaying or even removing their investments in their branches located in the UK.
    Hard pressed to find any diplomat either with any positive words about the whole "process" either.

If you want however seeing you like to think me clueless you can provide me with a nice list of positives since that brexit vote took place, for your economy, your politics, your standing in the world, oh yes your NHS.

And in all honesty i think me and many people would be glad if this would finally be over so we could peer more into the future with some certainty rather than this one foot in one foot out approach. I was never a big fan of giving the UK additional benefits, especially considering who's playground the city financial sector ended up being.

Why would i need to proof negatives of something that has yet to happen while businesses left and right are delaying or even removing their investments in their branches located in the UK.
    Hard pressed to find any diplomat either with any positive words about the whole "process" either.

If you want however seeing you like to think me clueless you can provide me with a nice list of positives since that brexit vote took place, for your economy, your politics, your standing in the world, oh yes your NHS.

And in all honesty i think me and many people would be glad if this would finally be over so we could peer more into the future with some certainty rather than this one foot in one foot out approach. I was never a big fan of giving the UK additional benefits, especially considering who's playground the city financial sector ended up being.
    What? That has absolutely nothing to with anything I have written.

You obviously can't be bothered to find out what you're talking about so instead of wasting everyone's time with ignorant and xenophobic rants... move on.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    What do I make of it? I make of it that the UK is currently governed by petulant children, who are unable to accept that the world has changed radically and what they wanted six months ago has suddenly become incredibly unimportant in the current scheme of things.
    1. Why do people not understand that most of the Brexit stuff is handled by different civil servants & different ministers than the wuflu stuff?
    2. Why do all the Tory-hating types want more Tory government involvement in this? Surely the mean old Tories are better off getting Brexit done instead of making the job of RNHS & all the experts worse, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    to be able to cope with the rigours of leaving the EU.
    This needs framing. We've survived unrestricted u-boat warfare, Napoleon's Continental System, and even the black death, but leaving the EU? No way man, that's like, way too hard .

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    We can leave once this storm has passed.
    It remains to be seen what kind of a "storm" we're in TBH. There's been a lot of panic and economic damage, but did we need all the lockdown stuff? I don't know, and frankly I doubt anyone does yet.

2014/15 flu deaths: 28,330
    2015/16 flu deaths: 11,875
    2016/17 flu deaths: 18,009
    2017/18 flu deaths: 26,408
    Wuflu deaths: 13,729 to date

Of course, the wuflu figures aren't accurate because people are being recorded as victims if they died of literally anything whilst having the disease (see Notes at the bottom). This could very well end up being just a bad flu year - we just don't know.

They might have been asked by a random journalist, or are testing the waters to see what the public response to the idea is.
    Still not tired of winning.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    It remains to be seen what kind of a "storm" we're in TBH. There's been a lot of panic and economic damage, but did we need all the lockdown stuff? I don't know, and frankly I doubt anyone does yet.

2014/15 flu deaths: 28,330
    2015/16 flu deaths: 11,875
    2016/17 flu deaths: 18,009
    2017/18 flu deaths: 26,408
    Wuflu deaths: 13,729 to date
    The scientific community knows. Apparently you're immune to that kind of information though. Interesting.

Of course, the wuflu figures aren't accurate because people are being recorded as victims if they died of literally anything whilst having the disease (see Notes at the bottom). This could very well end up being just a bad flu year - we just don't know.

They might have been asked by a random journalist, or are testing the waters to see what the public response to the idea is.
    Well, you're lying about the NHS notes, so I'm wondering if anything you say can be trusted at this point. Pushing COVID-19 as "just a bad flu year" is about the most bottom-feeding level of bullshit possible on this subject (btw - Resident Trump called, thanked you for your anti-science rhetorical nonsense - he agrees).

To point out your lie mistruth, because it's obvious you'll "disagree" - here is what you said:
    being recorded as victims if they died of literally anything whilst having the disease
    and here is what the NHS notes ACTUALLY SAY:
    It will include cases outside hospital and will also include some cases where COVID-19 is suspected, but no formal diagnostic test has taken place.
    It's interesting that you linked something you didn't read. Do you do that all the time?

Are all your posts this misinformative?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Well, you're lying about the NHS notes
    Here's the quote:

Figures on deaths relate to patients who have died in hospital in England and who have tested positive for COVID-19.

Tested positive. Not "died of" or anything. Just "tested positive". Do you not see the difference between "John tested positive for cancer & died of a heart attack" and "John died of cancer" or are you just that stupid?
    Still not tired of winning.

This needs framing. We've survived unrestricted u-boat warfare, Napoleon's Continental System, and even the black death, but leaving the EU? No way man, that's like, way too hard
    So, you acknowledge that leaving the EU is something that needs to be "survived". Good to know.