View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    lol still not accepting we have already left. You are going for the title of "The last remainer"?
    One last attempt to explain loud enough to get through the fingers in your ears and the shouts of LALALA.

Saying "I'm leaving" is not the same as actually leaving. If your family are foolish enough to spend Xmas with you, when they get bored of your fascist ranting and say "we're leaving" that doesn't mean they've left. They are still in your house, still drinking the wine you've made from the bitter grapes you grow. They still have to follow your rules about using coasters and not dropping crumbs. They still have to listen to your unicorn grooming tips. They are about to leave, of course. Their leaving is an inevitability. But they haven't left yet.

And that's where the UK is. Still at the party, complaining about how much the tickets cost and how terrible the house rules are, while still eating and drinking as they have for years. Still convinced that once they actually leave they'll be able to make their own party that will be so much better and cheaper. Still dreaming of unicorns and sunlit uplands. Still very much at the party.

And you will be until the end of the year. Assuming Boris doesn't come to his senses and ask for an extension.

The ticking and tocking continues dribbles. My money is still on you and your type blaming the subsequent disasters on Covid 19. But who knows, maybe you'll surprise me with some personal growth that leads you to actually taking responsibility for the shitshow. But I doubt it.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Or, alternatively, it is just one more adjustment
    Hah, I like that. It's not preferential access via France, it's an adjustment to the existing EU-wide rules.

EU member countries (of which the UK is currently still one)
    There are lies, damned lies, and Huehuecoyotl's posts.

And I wouldn't get your hopes up that any such agreement lasts beyond the end of the year
    Doesn't need to. Once the principle has been established and we have a working example to go by, we can dangle that carrot in front of other EU member states too.

And this kind of access would become one more thing to try and clear up in the negotiations; where you should expect to either pay for it, or give up something else like fishing rights.
    Nope. We just say there's one rule for the EU, and then go behind the EU team's back to negotiate with individual member state governments. Perfidious Albion smashing yet another European hegemony .
    Still not tired of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    Doesn't need to. Once the principle has been established and we have a working example to go by, we can dangle that carrot in front of other EU member states too.
    The US have been trying that for the best part of a decade, to no avail. But sure, the UK being a fraction of the size of population, a fraction of the size of economy and a TINY fraction of the recent experience in negotiating recent trade deals of the US will be able to sort it out.

The rest of the EU understand the power that sticking together brings them. They understand what it would be like to be a tiny fish in waters that have China and the US swimming in them. It's only us that doesn't.

But sure, we'll be able to get whatever we want from negotiations with the EU. Just like we have the last 3 years, eh? And you wonder why we keep talking about unicorns and calling Brexiteers deluded? Fucking hilarious.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    The US have been trying that for the best part of a decade, to no avail. But sure, the UK being a fraction of the size of population, a fraction of the size of economy and a TINY fraction of the recent experience in negotiating recent trade deals of the US will be able to sort it out.
    And we also have zero experience of being inside the EU- oh. No, wait a minute, that's not right.

The rest of the EU understand the power that sticking together brings them.
    Like France nicking PPE destined for Italy? All for one and one for all indeed .

They understand what it would be like to be a tiny fish in waters that have China and the US swimming in them.
    As well they should, given that, France excepted, they don't have any nukes or military worth writing home about.

But sure, we'll be able to get whatever we want from negotiations with the EU.
    Who said that? I mean, beyond the voices in your head.

(Infracted - Flaming)
    Just like we have the last 3 years, eh?
    For those of us who want - or are merely content with - no deal, what makes you think we haven't been getting our way ?
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2020-05-11 at 11:04 PM.
    Still not tired of winning.

The US will demand control over other trade deals that the UK seeks to make as a condition for entering into a trade deal themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ts-us-or-china

Come on then @dribbles, keep on pushing the "taking back control" message you're so keen on. We can stop being part of the group of EU nations that work to negotiate agreements that everyone signs up for, and go to being completely beholden to what the US demands of us. If only some of us could have seen this coming, eh?

And with that, yet another unicorn dies. So sad.

7+ Year Old Account
    The US will demand control over other trade deals that the UK seeks to make as a condition for entering into a trade deal themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ts-us-or-china

Come on then @dribbles, keep on pushing the "taking back control" message you're so keen on. We can stop being part of the group of EU nations that work to negotiate agreements that everyone signs up for, and go to being completely beholden to what the US demands of us. If only some of us could have seen this coming, eh?

And with that, yet another unicorn dies. So sad.
    Nonsense fake news guardianista anti brexit authored article. /yawn.

The US are rightly asking that question going forwards of everyone as a test of its "allies", applying its concerns more vocally to the EU than the UK. There is no doubt the UK will always side with the english speaking peoples of the world when it comes to a choice. The EU may go the other way as is their right, but you might be disappointed with their decision. Even you must recognise the comparative dangers of chlorinated chicken vs coronavirus is a no brainer. Now we are soon to find out if the EU even has as brain.

Brexit has taken back control so that we don't have to follow, like a lap dog, bad EU decisions in the future. How could you possibly not understand that?

'Time to choose!' Brussels warned to pick sides in growing US-China divide after COVID-19

Speaking to the Today programme Mathias Döpfner, the CEO of German media group Axel Springer, said: "Europe now has to make a decision. "And if I’m talking of Europe, I’m explicitly including the post-Brexit UK, whether we want to establish a western alliance, a transatlantic alliance, of free-market economies.

"Or whether we really think Europe can define an alternative alliance with China just because we dislike Donald Trump and the current administration. It would be very short-sighted."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...9-Donald-Trump

Thank you for the excellent example, presumably given a choice you would choose the Sino alliance over our brothers in the US? We brexiteers know where and what you remainers stand for, believe me.

That Unicorn is alive and kicking!
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

The US are rightly asking that question going forwards of everyone as a test of its "allies", applying its concerns more vocally to the EU than the UK. There is no doubt the UK will always side with the english speaking peoples of the world when it comes to a choice. The EU may go the other way as is their right, but you might be disappointed with their decision. Even you must recognise the comparative dangers of chlorinated chicken vs coronavirus is a no brainer. Now we are soon to find out if the EU even has as brain.

Brexit has taken back control so that we don't have to follow, like a lap dog, bad EU decisions in the future. How could you possibly not understand that?

'Time to choose!' Brussels warned to pick sides in growing US-China divide after COVID-19

Speaking to the Today programme Mathias Döpfner, the CEO of German media group Axel Springer, said: "Europe now has to make a decision. "And if I’m talking of Europe, I’m explicitly including the post-Brexit UK, whether we want to establish a western alliance, a transatlantic alliance, of free-market economies.

"Or whether we really think Europe can define an alternative alliance with China just because we dislike Donald Trump and the current administration. It would be very short-sighted."

Thank you for the excellent example, presumably given a choice you would choose the Sino alliance over our brothers in the US? We brexiteers know where and what you remainers stand for, believe me.

Qouting a media outlet CEO... great! Those guys are not experts in politics nor economics. They telegraph things from experts, they voice there opinion, nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account

If you're going to complain about the Guardian as a source, it is rank hypocrisy to then link to Express within the very same post.

You've gone from being a partner in trade discussions as part of the EU, with a veto, to being a junior subservient partner in the deal with the US. And in your mind that's better, because you've "taken back control". You haven't, of course, you've ceded control to the US. With no veto apart from being able to say "okay, we won't have a deal then".

I don't think I've ever seen a statement that better sums up the mentality of the Brexit crowd. Lacking in logic, attempting to reframe facts in a way that suggest Brexit is a good thing. Delusions and wishes for unicorns in a single sentence. Priceless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brexit has taken back control
    So much so that we're banning menthol cigarettes on Thursday to comply with EU law change.

Gotta love that control we don't have.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    So much so that we're banning menthol cigarettes on Thursday to comply with EU law change.

To be fair, even if you had total control sooner or later, it is total control under either Tories or Labour

Not exactly a huge improvement in leadership. Like I could easily see either of those parties banning something like Menthol cigarettes all on their own.
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

Quote Originally Posted by Howel View Post
    To be fair, even if you had total control sooner or later, it is total control under either Tories or Labour
    The impled "they are all as bad as each other" logic doesn't really work when it is patently obvious the Tories are responsible for around 30,000 deaths this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatlisp View Post
    The impled "they are all as bad as each other" logic doesn't really work when it is patently obvious the Tories are responsible for around 30,000 deaths this year.
    It wasn't so much they are all as bad as each other, just they are all bad in their own ways. Heck I remember posters being mad at either parties, prior to brexit even being a dream, but they somehow want them in control either way
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

This law was passed before the referendum and is part of a long term strategy to cut the number of smokers but are you really suggesting that regardless of our EU membership we would chose not to continue with measures to control sales of tobacco products?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This hasn't been a thing since the whole passport ridiculousness, tbh.
    They speak of giving back control to the people and still have an institute called the "House of Lords"...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    They speak of giving back control to the people and still have an institute called the "House of Lords"...
    Who haven't had any real legislative power in years, they simply suggest amendments and can be ignored at will by elected representatives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who haven't had any real legislative power in years, they simply suggest amendments and can be ignored at will by elected representatives.
    What for me is also the reason some in the UK find their dealings with the EU undemocratic while the reality is it is their elected representatives that often if not always decide what course to take without input from their base, other nations have less issues with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    What for me is also the reason some in the UK find their dealings with the EU undemocratic while the reality is it is their elected representatives that often if not always decide what course to take without input from their base, other nations have less issues with that.
    Honestly, the UK has bigger undemocratic aspects running the country than the HoL, the entire civil service springs to mind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the UK has bigger undemocratic aspects running the country than the HoL, the entire civil service springs to mind.
    Oh yes I agree and the most undemocratic aspect, moreso even than the remain infected civil service, attempting to rule the UK would be the EU, thanks to brexit we are taking back control and have almost removed them though. Seven weeks from now and transition extension becomes impossible but before then...

Tomorrow could be a critical and celebratory day for brexiteers with the EU expected to rule against us a total breakdown in UK/EU relations is expected and the following outcome...

The British government can leave the transition period at the end of this year, ignore all and any summons it receives to the ECJ and demands for money and let the EU seek remedies under the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties at the International Court, under international law.

https://briefingsforbritain.co.uk/de...drawal-treaty/

Fingers crossed for me tomorrow morning eurochums.
    Last edited by dribbles; 2020-05-13 at 02:41 PM.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Oh yes I agree and the most undemocratic aspect, moreso even than the remain infected civil service, attempting to rule the UK would be the EU, thanks to brexit we are taking back control and have almost removed them though. Seven weeks from now and transition extension becomes impossible but before then...

Tomorrow could be a critical and celebratory day for brexiteers with the EU expected to rule against us a total breakdown in UK/EU relations is expected and the following outcome...

The British government can leave the transition period at the end of this year, ignore all and any summons it receives to the ECJ and demands for money and let the EU seek remedies under the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties at the International Court, under international law.

https://briefingsforbritain.co.uk/de...drawal-treaty/

Fingers crossed for me tomorrow morning eurochums.
    That would be a great way to launch trade discussions with countries around the world; reneging on previous signed agreements and trying to get out of paying what you owe. Can you not imagine that causing a problem or two moving forward?

I'm once again reminded of Dr Frasier Crane, as he sat next to Cliff who was explaining how he was descended from the Tzar of Russia: "Hello in there Cliff. So tell me, what colour is the sky in your world?"