View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Er, am I being utterly ignorant when I say "Weren't the expat communities in Spain set up by and primarily occupied by criminals who wanted to go on the lam" (I really like this new phrase I learned a few weeks ago, turns up everywhere now) and wanted somewhere that the British police wouldn't be bothered to persue them?

That's certainly what I heard about them every single time they're mentioned. S'why you have to be especially careful when buying property there because you never know if the person selling you the property is even the legal owner, or rather some fraudster...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    As a German do you guys really wake up at 4am to put down the towels to claim the best spots around the pools?
    Fuck getting up at 4 am

15+ Year Old Account
    It was a fun sport to move towels around as a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Yeah sure, just like every Brit only goes to Spain to drink in an English pub and watch English football while talking to English people.

Or, to rephrase it slightly differently... you have to get up at 4am to put the towel down because the drunk English tend to pass out on the beach around that time and you might wanna find a clear spot before they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    That’s the longest “yes.” I’ve ever read
    Longest and best in regards to the situation. I mean it was always funny hearing the brits bitch about how Germans would claim the best spots, but Slant is also 100% nail on head right that these brits were normally drunk as fuck every night that they were in bed until the cleaning service would kick them out of the room.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    So basically English people have set up mini colonies in Spain to retire to because the UK is so amazing.

Sounds about right, lol.
    Yup, they also voted for Brexit, and think that the Spanish should integrate to them than the other way around because something something English Exceptionalism.

Boris Johnson to make protests that cause 'annoyance' illegal, with prison sentences of up to 10 years

Thanks to Brexit, Britains* can finally do what they want.

* the British Government

(I admit, I have no idea if the EU would have prevented that... anyone has any idea?)

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    The European Court probably would've overruled this, since the right to protest falls under certain universal human rights (free speech, the free right of association, the right to gather etc.)
    british courts might also have a word with it, they are not obliged to follow every weird idea from cabinet just because Brexit happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Boris Johnson to make protests that cause 'annoyance' illegal, with prison sentences of up to 10 years

* the British Government

(I admit, I have no idea if the EU would have prevented that... anyone has any idea?)
    Lol. Aren't all protests annoying? At the very least to the target of the protest?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    british courts might also have a word with it, they are not obliged to follow every weird idea from cabinet just because Brexit happened.
    Constitutions of many member across the EU expressly specify that people have the right to assemble and protest. But then UK doesn't have a Constitution anyway.

The movie V For Vendetta is a documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post

* the British Government

The European Court of Justice would most likely void any such legislation as the legislation violates human rights and is too broad in scale. The term "annoyance" is - while typically British - not a modern legal term, it would need a massive amount of further specification. What is an annoyance, an annoyance to whom? When are annoyances justified? How much annoyance has to be tolerated? Just to throw up the most obvious questions this raises...

Given the way it's phrased, this law could be used to ban any and all protests, as it would cause an annoyance to traffic to let them happen. No, this wouldn't fly at all.

And I'd be very surprised if the British Supreme Court didn't have a field day with this. They would probably invite law students just to let them be a part of the most historic legal smackdown of legislation in human history.
    Last edited by Slant; 2021-03-16 at 12:59 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I'm pretty sure there will be civil rights groups queuing up outside the High Courts the minute that bill passes to get an injunction.

In other news that nobody saw coming...

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ts-post-brexit

Data shows collapse of UK food and drink exports post-Brexit
    HMRC figures reveal huge year-on-year falls in trade, with whisky, cheese and chocolate worst hit

Whisky, cheese and chocolate producers have suffered the biggest post-Brexit export losses in the food and drink sector, new figures from HMRC have shown.

Analysis of the figures by the Food and Drink Federation (FDF) shows cheese exports in January plummeted from £45m to £7m year on year, while whisky exports nosedived from £105m to £40m. Chocolate exports went from £41.4m to just £13m, a decline of 68%.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Oh, I forgot about whisky.

Anyone have good recommendations for a whisky similar to e.g., Strathisla without too much extra tax until Scotland rejoins the EU?

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Oh, I forgot about whisky.

Anyone have good recommendations for a whisky similar to e.g., Strathisla without too much extra tax until Scotland rejoins the EU?
    Pick Irish... and don't worry about Scotland, you won't go back anyway.

10+ Year Old Account

Honestly I'm surprised it didn't fall more.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Honestly I'm surprised it didn't fall more.
    It's never going to fall to 0. And to be fair, the Pandemic is probably contributing as well. The interesting question is if it ever picks back up once the pandemic is over and we're back to partying.

next big issue is going to be when protests start back up and loyalists start street movements. Id expect some violence.
    wonder if they will shoot anyone at the port or blow something up.

always nice to see the DUP eating shit though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's never going to fall to 0. And to be fair, the Pandemic is probably contributing as well. The interesting question is if it ever picks back up once the pandemic is over and we're back to partying.
    I was still expecting 70-80% drops, not 60-70, in part due to the pandemic as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    next big issue is going to be when protests start back up and loyalists start street movements. Id expect some violence.
    wonder if they will shoot anyone at the port or blow something up.

always nice to see the DUP eating shit though.
    It is almost as if I predicted exactly that not very long ago and you disagreed.

- - - Updated - - -

theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/22/data-shows-collapse-of-uk-food-and-drink-exports-post-brexit
    Who are you posting this stuff for? The Brexiteers, as should be obvious, are completely immune to any kind of self-awareness. The Tories let 120,000 people die. Brexiteers are fucking stupid. The fact they negotiated a useless trade deal that damages the Uk is not going to bother them if watching their grandparents die isn't.

Everyone else knew this was a moronic idea.

The only shock I got out of this was me wondering who the hell in Europe is buying inferior British Chocolate when there are superior Swiss and Belgium choices as well as all the other superior local chocolates.

The only shock I got out of this was me wondering who the hell in Europe is buying inferior British Chocolate when there are superior Swiss and Belgium choices as well as all the other superior local chocolates.
    The funny bit is, that was my thought as well. Like, almost word for word.

Maybe the British Cholate is really cheap? Or well was. Which would explain why the sale of it dropped off heavily, its no long dirt cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ctv987 View Post
    This is so easy to pick holes in its laughable -

1. It's the Guardian. The most left wing anti brexit, aside from huffpost, publishing of them all

2. Some exports to the EU will decrease. Some imports from the EU will decrease. That's what happens when you leave a trading bloc.

3. Some exports to the rest of the world will increase. Some imports from the rest of the world will increase. That's what happens when you join new trading blocs and acquire new trading deals.

4. Sensationalist journalism is sensationalist. Claims complete collapse of food and drink exports. But only lists 3 rather specific products which haven't even collapsed. Which makes this a complete far fetched fairy tale story.

5. Britain is doing great. Brexit has way more benefits to British civilians than staying in the EU. This is more nay say mongering. And a far reach at that.

I'd personally be embarrassed to use a random whiskey, cheese and chocolate article to try and prove brexit was a disaster.

There haven't been any noticeable supply chain issues at all in Britain for any supermarket. Competition between chains is high and food prices in general are extremely affordable, moreso than ever before. Aldi is unbelievably cheap for example. You can buy tins of food for literately pennies.

Linking this article to prove brexit disaster makes you look silly and desperate.

Embarrassing.
    Except the UK isn't getting new trade deals, just worse versions of deals they already had while in the EU.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death