View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Good news for our Brexiteer friends!

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-a...it-trade-deal/

Well done, your dream came true!

Oh wait, how much is it boosting the UK's GDP? Glad you asked...

That's... about as much as the EU Australian trade agreement is projected to add to the EU's GDP (0.03 until 2030 for the curious). Totally worth the 16 billion loss in trade with the EU, man.
    Thanks for posting how Brexit Britain managed in months to do that deal, something the EU is still talking about after a quarter of a century.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...reement-latest

One step closer, perhaps as soon as next year, to joining what will become the biggest trade bloc in the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57327372

Let the bountiful Brexit benefits continue to flow...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Thanks for posting how Brexit Britain managed in months to do that deal, something the EU is still talking about after a quarter of a century.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...reement-latest

One step closer, perhaps as soon as next year, to joining what will become the biggest trade bloc in the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57327372

Let the bountiful Brexit benefits continue to flow...
    0.02% of GDG. In 15 years time. That's some fucking benefit.

That isn't even "jam tomorrow". That's a picture of jam on the back of a truck that's about to vanish over the horizon.

Oh, and two things; one, we haven't seen the details of the deal yet. So no guarantee that the Brexiteer morons haven't fucked themselves in the arse with this deal like they did with the Ireland one. And two, the EU are very close to signing their own deal that I can pretty much guarantee will be better than this.

So sure, get yourself pumped up with a tiny "win" like this. Because we all know you've got nothing tangible to point to as a Brexit benefit.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    0.02% of GDG. In 15 years time. That's some fucking benefit.

That isn't even "jam tomorrow". That's a picture of jam on the back of a truck that's about to vanish over the horizon.

Oh, and two things; one, we haven't seen the details of the deal yet. So no guarantee that the Brexiteer morons haven't fucked themselves in the arse with this deal like they did with the Ireland one. And two, the EU are very close to signing their own deal that I can pretty much guarantee will be better than this.

So sure, get yourself pumped up with a tiny "win" like this. Because we all know you've got nothing tangible to point to as a Brexit benefit.
    It isn't just the trade aspect, free movement of people to live and work between Australia and the UK is another tangible benefit that comes with the deal, not possible as easily as when we were in the EU. I for one have missed the friendly banter of the many Aussies who used to work in London pubs until recently as they were forced to employ EU workers barely understanding English instead.

Bit by bit as time elapses since Brexit, Britain becomes a little more British every day that passes. Another Brexit benefit as we distance ourselves more and more from the EU.

Brexiteers like me in their pre-referendum manifesto promised remainers like you Unicorns and sunny uplands after we left.

Unicorn nest: UK hits milestone of 100 $1bn tech companies, more than rest of Europe combined.

https://www.cityam.com/unicorn-nest-...rope-combined/

We are delivering on those Brexit benefits and promises in spades.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    I for one have missed the friendly banter of the many Aussies who used to work in London pubs until recently as they were forced to employ EU workers barely understanding English instead.
    You mean chose to..? Because there wasn't a law that said Australians weren't allowed to work in pubs. The pub owners decided they'd rather hire someone else

It isn't just the trade aspect, free movement of people to live and work between Australia and the UK is another tangible benefit that comes with the deal, not possible as easily as when we were in the EU. I for one have missed the friendly banter of the many Aussies who used to work in London pubs until recently as they were forced to employ EU workers barely understanding English instead.

Bit by bit as time elapses since Brexit, Britain becomes a little more British every day that passes. Another Brexit benefit as we distance ourselves more and more from the EU.

Brexiteers like me in their pre-referendum manifesto promised remainers like you Unicorns and sunny uplands after we left.

Unicorn nest: UK hits milestone of 100 $1bn tech companies, more than rest of Europe combined.

hahahaha
    So you leave the EU to regain control of your borders.
    Then you turn around and give up that control again after 6 months?

free movement of people
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

And dribbles come straight back with more bollocks. As expected.

The number of those companies was already going up before Brexit. And it's continued to go up since we left. Literally impossible to tell if Brexit itself has had any impact on those numbers. Unless you have a set of data from the individual companies, where they stated which country they would have gone to if Brexit hadn't happened? What's that? You don't have that data? You just operate on feelings and bigotry?

Tough. You don't get to sell that as a Brexit benefit. Not to anyone with brains anyway. Going to try again? Come up with an actual tangible benefit with data linking it specifically to Brexit?

Didn't think so.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    hahahaha

free movement of people
    I do wonder at times if when he's banned does he run low on rubles, then I remember that a lot of brexiteers believe the shit he posts. This deal is basically an Aussie win. Their farmers get to undercut UK farmers, the "Freedom of movement." deal is basically have people move to Aus to do jobs that are understaffed here cause no one is mad enough to do the jobs in the UK and all for a maximum growth of the gdp at 0.02%, or about a marsbar a year per household.

I love how 'Freedom of movement' is apparently a huge benefit. Think I'll up sticks and move my family out there...oh wait that would cost a ridiculous amount of money, far more than moving anywhere in the EU would have done whilst we were still in it. Hmm not quite sure how this is a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    I love how 'Freedom of movement' is apparently a huge benefit. Think I'll up sticks and move my family out there...oh wait that would cost a ridiculous amount of money, far more than moving anywhere in the EU would have done whilst we were still in it. Hmm not quite sure how this is a win.
    You mean you don't want to go work on an Australian cattle ranch, dodging all of the venomous or bitey animals?

John Bercow who before becoming speaker was in the Conservative party. The same party that basically went out of its way to attack him and the position of speaker because he wouldn't let them break parliamentary rules to roughshot hard brexit (until the election) has officially joined Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    hahahaha

free movement of people
    I mean, Dribbles at least has been relatively consistent in preferring Commonwealth members to EU members in that sense, so free movement with them is probably better.

The Brexiteer position always seemed to me akin more to be against freedom of people being for the 'wrong' people coming to them, so it's not too much of a stretch for them to appreciate these freedoms with the 'right' people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    I mean, Dribbles at least has been relatively consistent in preferring Commonwealth members to EU members in that sense, so free movement with them is probably better.

The Brexiteer position always seemed to me akin more to be against freedom of people being for the 'wrong' people coming to them, so it's not too much of a stretch for them to appreciate these freedoms with the 'right' people.
    Better relations with our many British Commonwealth friends that span the planet, some even now in Europe, was always going to be preferable to further integration within a small geographically limited EU village that mostly doesn't share our values, language and consistently worked against UK interests. Yeah Brexit was all about that.

Australia last week, New Zealand next month, the TPP next year? The sun now never sets on British global free trading opportunities, how many more Brexit benefits do people need to see?

Removal of EU protections will lead to the desctruction of the UK Steel industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-tories-warned

It's the gift that keeps on giving. Farmers getting fucked over by the Australia deal. Fishermen getting fucked over by the EU deal. Now steel. Is there any industry in this country that the Brexiteers don't want to destroy? Do they really hate our country that much?

how many more Brexit benefits do people need to see?
    I'd like to see one just to start us off because I honestly have not seen any so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    I'd like to see one just to start us off because I honestly have not seen any so far.
    Same here, come on Dribbles give us something tangible, not something that makes a good headline in a right wing rag!
    Last edited by Iliena; 2021-06-20 at 04:47 PM. Reason: wording

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Removal of EU protections will lead to the desctruction of the UK Steel industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-tories-warned

It's the gift that keeps on giving. Farmers getting fucked over by the Australia deal. Fishermen getting fucked over by the EU deal. Now steel. Is there any industry in this country that the Brexiteers don't want to destroy? Do they really hate our country that much?
    Well the catering, hospitality business and the NHS are having a blast recruiti... oh wait ...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    Same here, come on Dribbles give us something tangible, not something that makes a good headline in a right wing rag!
    Everyone's a winner, brexit benefits for all!

Brexit drives up wages by ending free movement. Salaries have risen 4pc overall.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...free-movement/

Which in turn, thanks to the triple lock, means UK state pensions could rise by as much as 6-8% next year. Even Granny is chuffed and seeing the brexit benefits...good enough?

Brexit drives up wages by ending free movement. Salaries have risen 4pc overall.

Which in turn, thanks to the triple lock, means UK state pensions could rise by as much as 6-8% next year. Even Granny is chuffed and seeing the brexit benefits...good enough?
    Though the article only states brexit as one of several possible reasons of the tight job market, I’m inclined to give you that, good job!

The long term effects are likely to come bite you though, when the inflation rates start to come about. Especially in agriculture, the profit margins aren’t there to sustain higher wages. Means consumer prices will rise.

In hospitality business it likely varies. There’s bound to be a culling of smaller businesses there though. And again, your pint is likely to do summer salts on its price too.

I couldn't read it all due to paywall, but on the Telegraph site under Bank of England:
    Households face a £700 blow as inflation rises to its highest level for a decade this summer, economists have warned....
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...lds-700-worse/

Don't forget the increase in food prices: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57314680

You might not have noticed but the country has had some unexpected expenses recently, they couldn't even give nursing staff a decent pay increase this year, after all the hard work they have done during the pandemic! 6-8% on pensions is idiotic nonsense!

Edit: I posted about expected food cost increase's in this thread back in April:
    My nephew works for a large food manufacturer who produce a lot of the "own brand" products for several major supermarkets, they import a lot from the the EU.
    For example milk and cheese from France, they now need to do a lot of extra steps and deal with a lot of bureaucracy to bring it in, such as paying for independent vet's and food inspectors to check on the welfare of the animals and that then food production meets our standards, (which wasn't needed when we were in the single market) this will push prices up, British alternatives (if available) are often more expensive, the costs are currently being soaked by the supermarkets as it would be bad PR putting prices up during the pandemic, so expect food costs to creep up after.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post53138866
    Last edited by Iliena; 2021-06-21 at 01:45 AM.

Only 25% of the country thinks Brexit is going well. Even among the Leave voters, only 45% of them think it's going well. Do you hear that @dribbles? That "democratic support" you kept harping on about it drifting away pretty rapidly. And we haven't even begun to feel the really bad impacts of Brexit yet.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics.../06/21/199fd/1

Give it a couple of years and you won't be able to find anyone that owns up to voting for this shit. Even the hardcore racists are going to be ashamed of being associated with it.