View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    You have to look at it in the round though, as even your favourite source has done in this article from yesterday.

"Between April and June, the UK grew at more than double the rate of the 2% in the eurozone and faster than the US, which grew at a quarterly rate of just over 1.5%."

And as Brexiteer Dishi Rishi says quite rightly in it, "With the fastest quarterly growth rate among the G7 economies, we have exceeded expectations" the expectations of project fear remainers most certainly.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...afes-reopening

You do have to ask the question if UK trade exports to the EU are 20% greater outside of the bloc than inside, as is the case now, who in their right mind would want to pay those extortionate EU club fees to be worse off? Not me. It's a brexit good news story, yet another brexit benefit if you will, and not even you can spin it any other way.
    Its easy to climb faster then others when you fell further down the mountain then everyone else.

We've been over this before so fuck it, I'll just copy my previous post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    If we actually look at the actual IMF update you mentioned but failed to link.
    https://www.imf.org/-/media/Images/I...0&w=2600&la=en
    We can see that the UK crashed harder then the EU in 2020 and while it is projected to see a higher recovery % I'll point out that losing 6.5% and then recovering 4.6% is more then losing 9.8% and then recovering 7%.
    Also further on in your article.
    The ONS said the economy was 4.4% smaller than in the final three months of 2019 on a quarterly basis. The US has already made up the ground lost during the pandemic.
    So yeah you grew faster then the US. But the US already recovered to pre-pandemic numbers and your still racing to get back where you started. That means your doing worse...
    Last edited by Gorsameth; 2021-08-13 at 06:24 PM.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    There's another rather obvious indication that it isn't a French news site.

The site isn't even in French!

Yes, you can switch to the French variant https://www.fr24news.com/fr/ but there are still quite a lot of English headings, and having "/fr" for the French-variant seems to indicate that the French-variant is secondary - which is not how the French normally view the world.
    This guys gets it ! Cocorico !

10+ Year Old Account
    Oddly specific to choose to use 2016 as the year to compare rather than last years or 2019, or 2018? Is that maybe because 2016 was the lowest exports we had in the last 5 years?

Hmmmm.

May be a dumb question, as I'm not up to date on all things Brexit aside from what impact it had on my company...but:

Does that exports comparison take into account that "exports" for the UK now includes countries it didn't previously have to "export" to because they were part of the same geography? Or is that a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    May be a dumb question, as I'm not up to date on all things Brexit aside from what impact it had on my company...but:

Does that exports comparison take into account that "exports" for the UK now includes countries it didn't previously have to "export" to because they were part of the same geography? Or is that a thing?
    Yes, but…

1) it celebrates recently rising exports, while those exports plummeted to the ground before. I amagine you have 100 bucks and losing 90 of those. You then have 10 bucks. If it goes back up to 20 bucks, you can report 100% growth. Not like your economy isnt in the shitter anymore though.

2) the article compares 2021 export levels to 2016, saying they’re “back to the old level”. Now, 2016 was a pretty weak year for exports, but even if it wasn’t, that’s 5 years ago. With a normal growthrate of 2-3% one would expect UK exports of goods to be 10-15% higher than in 2016.

3) they only talk about exports of goods. The UK does not export many goods. There is a large export sector for services though. Those are left out in the equation. They’re basically celebrating finding a penny in the couch after the house burnt down.

So to sum up:
    1) relative growth says nothing about absolute growth.
    2) 2016 is a weird and misleading comparison.
    3) the export of goods is almost entirely irrelevent.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    So to sum up:
    1) relative growth says nothing about absolute growth.
    2) 2016 is a weird and misleading comparison.
    3) the export of goods is almost entirely irrelevent.
    All good points.

My point is this though:

If in 2016 UK exported to 20 countries and made $20 billion and now because of Brexit they export to 40 countries and made $40 billion in "exports." But back in 2016 they made the same $20 billion from the other 20 countries, it just wasn't counted as export revenue because they weren't counted as actual exports because they were part of the EU.

Is that a thing?

All good points.

My point is this though:

If in 2016 UK exported to 20 countries and made $20 billion and now because of Brexit they export to 40 countries and made $40 billion in "exports." But back in 2016 they made the same $20 billion from the other 20 countries, it just wasn't counted as export revenue because they weren't counted as actual exports because they were part of the EU.

Is that a thing?
    Nope. Exporting to EU countries means no border checks, but it’s still counted as exports.

All good points.

My point is this though:

Is that a thing?
    Not really, EU-internal exports are still counted normally for EU-countries like Germany and France.

There is some special case when counting EU as one trade block where EU-internal exports are skipped - but not when looking at specific countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Nope. Exporting to EU countries means no border checks, but it’s still counted as exports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Not really, EU-internal exports are still counted normally for EU-countries like Germany and France.

There is some special case when counting EU as one trade block where EU-internal exports are skipped - but not when looking at specific countries.
    Thanks for the info, wasn't sure.

Last week Nando's has to shut in Great Britain, this week McDonald's announced that no milkshakes can be sold in any of their 1,250 premises in Great Britain. Added with store shelves having issues.

Oh yes, I deliberately said Great Britain and not included Northern Ireland here because it highlights issues that are GB only due to Brexit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Supply chain issues soon to be resolved as the bounty is shared amongst working class Brexit voters.

Employers offer golden hellos of up to £10k

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...orker-shortage

Brexit benefits for the many not the few, enriching everyone, just as we promised available here today in the sunny uplands.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Supply chain issues soon to be resolved as the bounty is shared amongst working class Brexit voters.

Brexit benefits for the many not the few, enriching everyone, just as we promised available here today in the sunny uplands.
    Oh look 2 care home jobs somewhere in Scotland that nobody wants to do hence the 10K offer...and 2 care home workers sure as hell won't fix supply chain issues for the entire UK. That will take lorry drivers and a £1K or £2K signing on bonus isn't going to cut it when I have to find around £9K to train as a lorry driver in the first place.

I'll keep this fairly simple for you dribbles, because I know you have a hard time following anything that gets complicated.

If I'm a country, and I'm short 100k HGV drivers, will companies offering financial incentives a) resolve the problem or b) simply move the resources away from areas that can't afford to pay the extra money; like refuse collection, for example?

Well, which do you think it is? There is an option c, of course, which is that it encourages more foreign drivers to come over here and work, taking all that extra cash back to the EU with them. Assuming that Brexit hasn't pissed them off to the extent that they won't come back for any amount of money, and assuming that they won't get stuck in a big queue in Dover trying to get here.

That's Brexit for you; creating massive problems then hoping that foreigners will help us sort it out.

Thanks for proving again that you are utterly unable to follow a chain of logic that highlights that your "benefits" are anything but. Classic dribbles. I suppose I should be happy that at least you're now admitting that Brexit is the cause of these driver shortages; not long ago you and the moron burner were trying to claim we were making the shortages up. I guess that's progress?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Only the last one is kinda relevant. And it certainly isn't 10k.
    To be fair, he said up to £10k, that could mean anything between £1 and £10k.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Seems odd celebrating a worker shortage. Companies will respond with higher prices on goods if they increase wages, and it will slow any growth when companies can't find the staff they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Seems odd celebrating a worker shortage. Companies will respond with higher prices on goods if they increase wages, and it will slow any growth when companies can't find the staff they need.
    It's dribbles. He will point to anything and say "see, Brexit is brilliant because of this". He won't read any details about whether his conclusions are actually correct (usually he's cheering on the exact opposite of what's happening) and he won't think through the implications of what he's cheering about to see if it's actually a good thing.

He's pretty much a typical Brexiteer in that regard. No logicial thinking, lack of analysis and no forward thinking.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    As a worker why shouldn't I be celebrating that thanks to Brexit my labour is worth almost 50% more since the referendum? Seriously I can work 3 days a week for the same sum as I got for 5 days a week back just prior to the referendum. Sure i'll put up with the supposed Haribo shortage in the UK for that, who wouldn't?

I'll take that to the bank as a Brexit benefit just as many others, including remainers who daren't admit it publicly, are.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

As a worker why shouldn't I be celebrating that thanks to Brexit my labour is worth almost 50% more since the referendum? Seriously I can work 3 days a week for the same sum as I got for 5 days a week back just prior to the referendum. Sure i'll put up with the supposed Haribo shortage in the UK for that, who wouldn't?

I'll take that to the bank as a Brexit benefit just as many others, including remainers who daren't admit it publicly, are.
    So Putin gave you a pay raise? Because no one else in this country has.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    So Putin gave you a pay raise? Because no one else in this country has.
    And as was referenced earlier in the thread, I don't know why he is claiming to be from the UK, when he clearly said he was from Australia.

This seems fitting: