View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    The problem is, that the idea that the depressed UK salaries are a result of open borders is a right wing fabrication. Those workers are gone now, has your salary gone up?

The UK is notoriously bad at upward mobility in social classes. You even see this in your democracy (house of lords? Seriously?). The upper classes have a vested interest in keeping the working class down. Sadly, they succeeded in feeding a narrative that focusses the frustration of this to “them foreigners”. They never wanted brexit to win, they just wanted people to think they were fighting for it.
    I mean, yes, EU lorry drivers aren't here, and literally the immediate effect regarding salaries is HGV drivers are earning £15k plus more.

Based on that, i honestly don't think it's a fabrication to say if the pool of labour is in short supply, both companies and government will pay more.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The UK has just left the shithole, now sovereign it's not stuck in it anymore. Meanwhile back at the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation...

BBC comes under fire for 'pretending driver crisis is all about Brexit' and ignoring the fact shortages have affected countries throughout the world

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...is-Brexit.html

Reality factcheck for everyone.
    The fact you used a fucking tabloid, known for making shit up, is not really surprising. Because it is about Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    In an effort to attract more people to the job, because they literally don't have enough people to actually do the job... this wasn't an increase out of the goodness of their hearts now those dirty foreigners were gone, or you would have seen it happen months ago.
    Isn't that the whole point of salaries though?

Attract people to the job?

Too many applicants = lower the salary to get the best deal.

Too few applicants = increase the salary to gain more interest.

Nobody pays any salary out of kindness. They do so to make somebody perform a task.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korno8k View Post
    Isn't that the whole point of salaries though?

Attract people to the job?

Too many applicants = lower the salary to get the best deal.

Too few applicants = increase the salary to gain more interest.

Nobody pays any salary out of kindness. They do so to make somebody perform a task.
    Cue a sad trombone for this
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Update 27th Sep 2021

Petrol & Food - South England

My experience yesterday and this morning. If anyone is interested

No food shortages. Everywhere seems to be fully stocked.

Petrol stations are open, diesel is still in abundance. E10 unleaded petrol has gone completely. E5 super unleaded is available in most garages, but is in short supply in general.

I paid £1.43 / litre for super unleaded at a Tesco garage.

Long queues to get fuel (20 minutes to one hour), most garages have attendants directing the flow of traffic.

Update 27th Sep 2021

Petrol & Food - South England

My experience yesterday and this morning. If anyone is interested

No food shortages. Everywhere seems to be fully stocked.

Petrol stations are open, diesel is still in abundance. E10 unleaded petrol has gone completely. E5 super unleaded is available in most garages, but is in short supply in general.

I paid £1.43 / litre for super unleaded at a Tesco garage.

Long queues to get fuel (20 minutes to one hour), most garages have attendants directing the flow of traffic.
    It's good for you if you didn't get any issues, really. But according to The Guardian, "The prime minister will gather senior members of the cabinet to scrutinise “Operation Escalin” after BP admitted that a third of its petrol stations had run out of the main two grades of fuel, while the Petrol Retailers Association (PRA), which represents almost 5,500 independent outlets, said 50% to 90% of its members had reported running out. It predicted that the rest would soon follow." BoJo even considers deploying the army to supply petrol.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...etrol-stations

It's even the headline of the Daily Mail webpage. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ue-5am-up.html

"Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Madderson said that in Northern Ireland 'there does not seem to be a problem at all with supply and retail outlets, so the problem is confined to the mainland'." Gee, staying in the european market has some advantages after all!
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2021-09-27 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    It's good for you if you didn't get any issues, really. But according to The Guardian, "The prime minister will gather senior members of the cabinet to scrutinise “Operation Escalin” after BP admitted that a third of its petrol stations had run out of the main two grades of fuel, while the Petrol Retailers Association (PRA), which represents almost 5,500 independent outlets, said 50% to 90% of its members had reported running out. It predicted that the rest would soon follow." BoJo even considers deploying the army to supply petrol.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...etrol-stations

It's even the headline of the Daily Mail webpage. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ue-5am-up.html

"Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Madderson said that in Northern Ireland 'there does not seem to be a problem at all with supply and retail outlets, so the problem is confined to the mainland'." Gee, staying in the european market has some advantages after all!
    According to the 6 main UK suppliers, issuing a statement today, they are coping with the disruption and petrol continues to be in (moderate) supply.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wha...o-21684197.amp

This also falls in line exactly with my personal experience yesterday / today.

According to the 6 main UK suppliers, issuing a statement today, they are coping with the disruption and petrol continues to be in (moderate) supply.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wha...o-21684197.amp

This also falls in line exactly with my personal experience yesterday / today.
    There aren't any issues if people don't panic buy ("their demand is the only thing causing heavy queues and pumps to run day"). The past weekend showed that's a pretty fucking big "if". The demand is the issue, not the supply. If you expect people to be reasonable during a fuel shortage, well...
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2021-09-27 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    There aren't any issues if people don't panic buy ("their demand is the only thing causing heavy queues and pumps to run day"). The past weekend showed that's a pretty fucking big "if". The demand is the issue, not the supply. If you expect people to be reasonable during a fuel shortage, well...
    Agree. Mass bulk buying is running the pumps dry.

If people purchase in moderation there isn't any issue.

With regards to food supply, I'm in a Tesco superstore now.

Full shelves everywhere.

South of England = zero food issues from my personal experience.

Agree. Mass bulk buying is running the pumps dry.

If people purchase in moderation there isn't any issue.

With regards to food supply, I'm in a Tesco superstore now.

Full shelves everywhere.

South of England = zero food issues from my personal experience.
    You're in France? :P

It's definately a shit situation, and I'm sure there's vastly different experiences from place to place. Anecdotes are interesting, but never paints the full picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    You're in France? :P

It's definately a shit situation, and I'm sure there's vastly different experiences from place to place. Anecdotes are interesting, but never paints the full picture.
    Why do you say I'm in France?

I've been in Spain for 2 months because i have family there, but I can assure you I'm English and living in England.

I came back from Spain 2 days ago, right in the midst of the petrol crisis.

My immediate family are all English living in South England.

I've been to France twice in my whole life

Nobody i know has ever seen problems with food in the supermarkets.

But the petrol crisis is definitely real.

Today i can't find anything, all garages after lunch time seem to have closed their pumps.

Nobody i know has ever seen problems with food in the supermarkets.
    You're either lying, or possibly repeating the lies told to you by people in the same echo chamber as you are. I do orders both for myself and my elderly parents, and I can tell you for a fact that the number of out of stock items has been steadily going up in recent weeks. As has the number of items that get replaced by alternatives, or have short shelf lives, or don't get delivered at all. And when I go to the local supermarket, I can see the same thing. When I talk to the delivery people, they tell me the same thing.

And I'm living in the south of England.

I don't understand what benefit you get from coming into a forum like this and lying so blatantly. Everyone else who lives in the UK is experiencing reality, and knows what's happening. The press are reporting what's happening. Do you honestly believe you can gaslight us into agreeing with your "everything is fine" take on reality?

This is dribbles level of delusion.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    You're either lying, or possibly repeating the lies told to you by people in the same echo chamber as you are. I do orders both for myself and my elderly parents, and I can tell you for a fact that the number of out of stock items has been steadily going up in recent weeks. As has the number of items that get replaced by alternatives, or have short shelf lives, or don't get delivered at all. And when I go to the local supermarket, I can see the same thing. When I talk to the delivery people, they tell me the same thing.

And I'm living in the south of England.

I don't understand what benefit you get from coming into a forum like this and lying so blatantly. Everyone else who lives in the UK is experiencing reality, and knows what's happening. The press are reporting what's happening. Do you honestly believe you can gaslight us into agreeing with your "everything is fine" take on reality?

This is dribbles level of delusion.
    I'm not denying there are stock issues.

I'm simply saying I've never seen any. Nor has any of my family.

I'm living in Kent.

We have had zero supermarket empty shelves. Zero.

I shop twice a week.

If you are experiencing issues, i hope they get better for you.

But my local Tesco superstore, Sainsbury superstore and Aldi are absolutely brimming with people and food.

I'm not lying.

Bad form to say i am really.

If you say you are short of food, i belive you.

But i am not.

PS - I can't get petrol at the moment, all my local garages have run out completely.

It's very annoying to falsely be accused of lying.

What do i have to gain? Especially when i am saying petrol is unavailable in my area. Gone completely as of lunch time today.

Food stock has never been an issue for me though.
    Last edited by Korno8k; 2021-09-27 at 01:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that a poem?

Ah, its sircaw. The focus on the lying bit, the formatting (and the Sky News comments, tbf) make it too obvious.

But yeah, even The Sun has the front page today saying "90% of garages" are out in big bold letters, atm.
    I don't think it is sircaw. His writing style is very different, and he posts WAY more aggressively when accused to lying. If it is the same person, then he's adopted two very different personas to post here. Which would suggest that he's effectively lying in both of those personas, of course, which would explain the way he always reacts to it.

It feels like a melding of sircaw and dribbles in a weird way. Which is not an image I want in my mind.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could just be trying to maintain the "new" image on the new account, but letting just enough slip, tbf lol

Maybe I'm just far too cynical and untrusting in my old age.
    Nah there was another burner writing exactly like this a couple weeks ago. Can't remember who the main was, but it was active while Sircaw was

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Nah there was another burner writing exactly like this a couple weeks ago. Can't remember who the main was, but it was active while Sircaw was
    Im trying to remember who it was, but i cant figure his name out.....

The shelves of my local Tesco were looking a lot more sparse than normal today, I mange to get most of the essentials I needed, except fruit and veg, the shelves were nearly empty and what they had left looked old, I asked a member of staff when they expecting to get more and she told me she wasn't sure and that they hadn't had a fresh veg delivery since last Thursday night, they normally get 1-2 a day.

All the local garages are still out of fuel, luckily I filled up last week before the shortage really started, so should be fine for 3-4 weeks. But I know a couple of people who will be really struggling later in the week, they need to get the Army in to help with it.

Talking about the lorry driver shortage I have to wonder

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/s...11962055413762

How do 33% of people think a government that has not been in power in 11 years are partly or fully to blame for the shortage of drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    How do 33% of people think a government that has not been in power in 11 years are partly or fully to blame for the shortage of drivers.
    Because they're ignorant and let their world views dictate their reality, rather than reality dictate their world views.

I like that a plurality blames the EU for the UK's driver shortage. Conservatives in the UK and Republicans in the US seem to be extremely similar in that they refuse to ever accept or acknowledge any responsibility for bad decisions.