Guardian Mage Tower

Heys guys,
    I just completed the tank challenge as a demon hunter. I totally facerolled it, since im overgeared (925) but I just thought even with that high gear it must have been a really hard challenge.

However, now I wanted to do it on my druid alt, since he ist also totally overgeared (914 gearscore, one 940 legendary, ekowrath). So I watched a video just to get an idea how other druid tanks did it.

First Thing I realized is that the death and decay void is much much bigger. After I saw that the challenge was slightly different I felt that I will get raped. And that was the case.

I just cant survive. The Problem arent the netheradds, its Varis Cast (p1) which he spamms all the day. With FR it just wont Heal me up. Leaving Bear form to heal up feels really bad.

Any tips to survive his casts that he spams? I usually pull him with boomkin form (affinity) to Velen since I heared he does more melee dps. Also with balance affinity + ekowrath in a video someone was able to hit him at the edge of the death and decay without getting stacks (no Luffa).

Greetings

10+ Year Old Account
    Bear challenge became significantly harder once Mark of Ursol was removed. I'd say best bet is to sustain yourself with frenzied regen and hit velen's orbs when desperately needed.

You can hit him with Thrash and Swipe outside the death and decay with Eko and Balance affinity. Make sure you're using the incarnation guardian talent. The amount of burst it gives you will allow you to get through Variss much quicker.

Man, it was by far the most difficult challenge for me so far. I managed to get it yesterday ilv 922, w/4pc t20. Using crafted boots, and tank trinket leggo.

BeSt advice I can give you, is to just try out different great sets and talents until you find what works.

thanks for the tip with the orb. Tryed it 1 time (doing it tomorrow) and got him to 18% before I got knockbacked from the plattform

edit: got it. The key was to self heal with orbs
    Last edited by Sturmwut; 2017-10-12 at 04:39 PM.

im just returning to wow going to be going guardian druid so ima attempt it give it a few gos after i get to like 930IL

Quote Originally Posted by razisgosu View Post
    Bear challenge became significantly harder once Mark of Ursol was removed. I'd say best bet is to sustain yourself with frenzied regen and hit velen's orbs when desperately needed.

You can hit him with Thrash and Swipe outside the death and decay with Eko and Balance affinity. Make sure you're using the incarnation guardian talent. The amount of burst it gives you will allow you to get through Variss much quicker.
    You only need Balance Affinity. I did it at 909 and finding out that Balance Affinity alone was suitable made this a hell of a lot less RNG at my gear level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmwut View Post
    Heys guys,
    I just completed the tank challenge as a demon hunter. I totally facerolled it, since im overgeared (925) but I just thought even with that high gear it must have been a really hard challenge.

However, now I wanted to do it on my druid alt, since he ist also totally overgeared (914 gearscore, one 940 legendary, ekowrath). So I watched a video just to get an idea how other druid tanks did it.

First Thing I realized is that the death and decay void is much much bigger. After I saw that the challenge was slightly different I felt that I will get raped. And that was the case.

I just cant survive. The Problem arent the netheradds, its Varis Cast (p1) which he spamms all the day. With FR it just wont Heal me up. Leaving Bear form to heal up feels really bad.

Any tips to survive his casts that he spams? I usually pull him with boomkin form (affinity) to Velen since I heared he does more melee dps. Also with balance affinity + ekowrath in a video someone was able to hit him at the edge of the death and decay without getting stacks (no Luffa).

Greetings
    Use the orbs and load up on versatility. Luffa's really help, as well as thrash relics. Use incarnation, brambles, incarnation. Use bear tartar for buff food, agility flask. Do anything you can to increase your dps. Boomkin affinity, Prepot. Save drums and incarnation and potions for kruul.

Yea as others said, the orbs help a truck ton. I had pretty much your gear just slightly higher ilvl(920ish), no eko but had prydaz/dual determination and no tier pieces at all. I seen the eko+balance trick on youtube before but unfortunately I didn't have eko back then so didn't bother to try. Try to have cds up like Incarnation and drums p2, I had a lot of trouble meeting the dps checks on Kruul himself, P1 is just more practice around knowing when to get out and play with the orbs. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmwut View Post
    Heys guys,

Greetings
    if you have eko + balance affinity, i "think" u should be able to thrash/swipe JUST outside of the debuff circle. personally when i did it, i only had luffa.

on DH is WAY easier than bear in the sense that glide makes knockback impossible even if you are careless. Just talent wild charge in case.

talent Incarnation and wear dps gear. save lust, potion dps cds, and ideally 2 orbs for p2. and of cos eat Bear Tartare =D

Deleted
    I did that with Eko and balance - no Luffa. Was the first challenge I did and the only other I did later was VDH. Only for the looks. Took me a few tries on both but I wouldn't say it was impossibru or smth. No tier, quite overgeared 920odd, without Mark of Ursol (obviously). Liking my werebear skin.

Deleted
    The challenge is still quite difficult if u dont have the right legendaries. Luffas make this fight trivial. Took me 43 tries but it was pretty much the first time i tried to play seriously my guardian this expansion (929 ilv). Used Eko and Prydaz. Best advice is keep trying no matter the number of wipes till u reach a point where u react instinctively.
    Last edited by mmoc21b9eae572; 2017-11-08 at 01:41 PM.

You can trash outside with Eko + Balance trait. That's what I did. I'd say even Eko trivializes the fight, since I didn't worry about the void poo on the ground at all.

Deleted
    Or just spam moonfire on him from outside his dnd void
    Kill eyes with moonfire, too.
    Cleave nether horrors down, use Velens stun/heal on them.
    Repeat

Deleted
    Does anyone know if I have to be in my spec to get the 10 legion bosses appearance after unlocking my mage tower appearance? I’ve recently completed the mage tower for both guardian and feral but have been running a few dungeons as resto - do I need to do 10 dungeons as tank and then another 10 as feral in order to unlock that appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by Armus View Post
    Does anyone know if I have to be in my spec to get the 10 legion bosses appearance after unlocking my mage tower appearance? I’ve recently completed the mage tower for both guardian and feral but have been running a few dungeons as resto - do I need to do 10 dungeons as tank and then another 10 as feral in order to unlock that appearance?
    Used to be like that but was changed in one of last patches - now its enough to get the skin and do dunges after you got it to unlock aditional collour (same goes for rbg and kill KJ heroic)

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftshadow View Post
    if you have eko + balance affinity, i "think" u should be able to thrash/swipe JUST outside of the debuff circle. personally when i did it, i only had luffa.

on DH is WAY easier than bear in the sense that glide makes knockback impossible even if you are careless. Just talent wild charge in case.

talent Incarnation and wear dps gear. save lust, potion dps cds, and ideally 2 orbs for p2. and of cos eat Bear Tartare =D
    Yep, with ekowraith and balance affinity your thrash will just ever so slightly be in range without needing to go into the goop.

I did it with ekowraith+moon fire shoulder. I don't have any guardian leggos yet though. Everyone says take incarnation, but I highly recommend trying galactic guardian if you have moon fire shoulders. You can put out so much damage with it. Can use moonfire procs on the eyes while still hitting varius.

By the end of it my moonfire damage was highest by a large margin at 42% of my overall damage with the next one being thrash at 25%.

Deleted
    Like others have said, if you have eko or luffas just grab Moonkin affinity and stay outside the voidzone and thrash/moonfire for damage. Keep up with the eyes (moonfire) and just dodge knockbacks and p1 should be easy. Did it at 900 ilvl couple of weeks ago and my saving grace was definetely luffas. So if you have any of those you should be able to do it without overgearing it.

On my DH I would take 5-6-7 stacks every time in the voidzone but I just didn't bother at all with my druid since they removed Ursol. The bolts themselves doesn't do very much damage so FR doesn't build up really. Did mine on DH before spirit bomb shenanigans though. But it was pretty cake since you could just ignore inferals knockback and shit.

Anyways GL and just stay with it and you'll get it.

Noob dumb question, what causes the knockback in the Guardian challenge? I've only tried it a few times and there were like three where I got knocked off and I didn't see why

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Noob dumb question, what causes the knockback in the Guardian challenge? I've only tried it a few times and there were like three where I got knocked off and I didn't see why
    The eyes and the infernals have knockbacks. If you don't look at the eye when it finishes it's cast, it knocks you back. Infernals just have a cone knockback.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

Quote Originally Posted by Irefusetodie View Post
    The eyes and the infernals have knockbacks. If you don't look at the eye when it finishes it's cast, it knocks you back. Infernals just have a cone knockback.
    Ohhh, Thanks!