Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    This shows a rather large amount of ignorance regarding the laws Puerto Rico has to deal with. An example of this is the Hatch Act, something they can literally do nothing about because they're not a state. Basically, imagine being a city, but you have no say in any of the state/federal laws passed that affect you. So if the state/federal government decides to put a 40% tax on any goods that are shipped directly to your city instead of first being shipped to a larger city 3,000km away THEN ship them to you, there's nothing you can do but complain loudly. You don't think that would have a bad effect on your city-level economy? That's basically the situation Puerto Rico is in, they governed by federal laws which they have no input on (they have no representatives in the House and Senate, only a delegate who is basically an observer that can give speeches).
    Not ignorance, I just learned from seeing how folks here and elsewhere talked about the entire population of my country because of the actions of a few, I see no need to extend the type of consideration or care that I have never received.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Hilarious people give Puerto Rico a pass, but crucify other countries in debt like Greece.
    It's like Puerto Rico isn't a sovereign country.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Not ignorance, I just learned from seeing how folks here and elsewhere talked about the entire population of my country because of the actions of a few, I see no need to extend the type of consideration or care that I have never received.
    Then have fun wrapped in your bitterness? An eye for an eye makes everyone blind.

Let me start by stating that I have never lived in Puerto Rico. Everything I have heard from other military members is that the way things are done on Puerto Rico is very similar to how they are/were (it has been nearly 30 years since I lived there) done on Guam. Both being US territories with high welfare rates I believe this. On Guam the governor would run on a campaign of using federal highway funds to repave his supporters driveways. President Regan once visited the island and the Governor did talk to him about getting more interstate highway money. The next day the newspaper was full of articles criticizing the President because, what right was it of his to ask what was being done with the current money, since the island didn't have any interstate highways to begin with. The amount of corruption was staggering. The public utilities were all run by friends/family of the current governor and would change along with the administration. If you weren't paid up for over 30 days in advance your service was cut off. If Puerto Rico is the same way I would be more shocked if this wasn't happening than I am that it might be.

How's anyone gonna withhold supplies? Didn't Trump toss those paper towels far enough back for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It's like Puerto Rico isn't a sovereign country.
    Puerto Rico is still responsible for it's failures. That place has been severely mismanaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Puerto Rico is still responsible for it's failures. That place has been severely mismanaged.
    And we have states who have massive debts who did it without the laws that Puerto Rico has to deal with, I don't remember anyone bringing their debt loads when they got hit by natural disasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    The US should make Puerto Rico, Guam, American Soma, and others states or let them self govern without federal interference.
    When I was in Guam (early to mid 80s) the people of the island voted every election on if they should apply for statehood (despite not meeting the population requirements of a state). The votes were something like 90% voted No. There are just to many benefits of not being a state, such as an exemption from paying federal taxes, yet able to receive federal money.

The USA is also, under UN treaty, not allowed to cast them off as independent nations without the people there voting for it (not that we would Guam with the valuable military base location that it is).