New priest leveling - Please read & help

I've just started re-playing my level 100 priest. Taking her into legion is somewhat different than I remember. With mobs having so much health and hitting hard at the same time makes killing things hard. I specced into Shadow as that's what I will be mostly playing at max level.

I have all heirlooms upgraded to 3/3 scaling 100 to 110 + 110 WoD BoA Trinket + Artifact weapon. But i still struggle killing when I face 2 - 4 mobs.

How do you guys do it? Is Disc better at leveling than Shadow? Please teach me and advice me to progress with my priest. I really love the play style but it's just weird and so slow/hard to level like this compared to my Warrior, Monk and DH leveling experience.

Thank you.

Deleted
    Dot and run, dot and run !

I found levelling pretty fast as shadow and didnt have that much trouble. Many people said disc was easier to level as though. But i personally didnt find it an issue. I didnt die until i was level 109 if i remember rightly.

I talented mindbender and used fade a lot if i pulled too many. It helps take the burden away while i dotted the mobs up, used PW:Shield and burnt them down. Fortress of the mind is a good talent to take when levelling, along with reaper of souls or void ray. Never take S2M while leveling.

If you've bitten off more than you can chew, pop bender, fade, run away.

Its all a matter of what you're used too. Im used to range classes so i find them quicker to level than a warrior.

I leveled as a disc smooth.. especially with legioninvasions and groupfinder ������

Deleted
    At Legion launch I leveled my Shadow without any problems even heirlooms wasn't an option back then. I was easily able to dot 4 mobs, let them stack to me and then Mind Bomb and Shadow Crash. I used San'layn and mastery gear if ilvl was good. If you are close to dying, remember to use Vampiric Embrace, Dispersion and Mindbender+fade alot.

Quote Originally Posted by bbj View Post
    I've just started re-playing my level 100 priest. Taking her into legion is somewhat different than I remember. With mobs having so much health and hitting hard at the same time makes killing things hard. I specced into Shadow as that's what I will be mostly playing at max level.

I have all heirlooms upgraded to 3/3 scaling 100 to 110 + 110 WoD BoA Trinket + Artifact weapon. But i still struggle killing when I face 2 - 4 mobs.

How do you guys do it? Is Disc better at leveling than Shadow? Please teach me and advice me to progress with my priest. I really love the play style but it's just weird and so slow/hard to level like this compared to my Warrior, Monk and DH leveling experience.

Thank you.
    I would highly recommend levelling as holy actually.

As any of the healer specs you are nigh invulnerable. If you accidentally pull 12 mobs in levelling gear, that's survivable and possibly even winnable. You also have virtually zero downtime and an okayish AOE to boot that discipline does not have. Most importantly, smite may be a dinky spell, but it is a fast dinky spell, compared to the buildup drugde of shadow dotting. You can chain down mobs with some amazing speed just because you don't have downtime and do damage nigh instantly. And if you ever take massive damage, that Serenity will just top you off immediately.

Where you will struggle is against super high HP mobs. During my levelling period, my smite did 25-30k damage the moment I hit 110, and some of the larger boss mobs had up to 6 million HP at that point. Needless to say, that took a while to kill. Smite has been buffed since, so it may not be as bad anymore? And gear is more accessible as well - you even have herilooms to 110 now. But, you will be suffering from it I reckon. Though if you just stick to smiting a boss down long enough, someone else is bound to come by and down the boss for you. Also, you can throw out a quick renew on just about anyone and gain credit for their kills as well. So you don't really have to do all the hard work.

It does however lack a certain something as a DPS spec. The rotation is literally smite smite smite smite smite, with the odd Holy Fire and Chastise inbetween; and Holy Nova for AoE. If you're used to a real dps spec, and are used to killing your own stuff thank you very much, you will be bored leveling as a healer.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    I would highly recommend levelling as holy actually.
    The problem with leveling as holy is that you have no way to stop yourself from being interrupted (as opposed to having shield as Disc) and you can't tag mobs very fast due to the cooldown on Holy Fire. I tried both and I found disc to be a lot more comfortable due to shield, no-CD dot and some burst in the form of penance, mind-bender and LW.

As Spriest you pretty much just spec Misery and spam dots on as many mobs as you can. SWP+VT are very good DPET (damage per execution/cast time) so Shadow's strength is just pulling 5-10 mobs with dots and then aoeing them down. The healing from VT + a bubble should keep you alive easily.

Heurlooms get good at 101, at 100 they are very low item level. As z rule of thumb I'd level as shadow with Misery and San'layn. Shadow crash maybe, void ray for sure.

You guys realize mindbender does a lot of damage ? And you're saying you use it only to flee ? Seriously ?

@op. I leveled as Disc. Much more survivable than shadow while not too much behind in term of dps.

About holy, I don't know. You really need to have more than 2-3 mobs for holy nova spam in order to make it worth it tbh... Either way, yeah Shadow sucks a lot while leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    This will automatically get better as your gear improves.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Honestly I just leveled as Disc. Throw a shield on yourself and spam Purge the Wicked and Penance.